Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Chase is showing that my CC payment, which is set to automatically pull from my Ally bank account, posted on Friday.

Ally isn't showing any transaction on their site, and support tells me that there's no pending movements on their system.

Is this a normal thing? Does Chase just show me as paid on the due date and then actually pull the money whenever?

I know it's not a big time difference, but it's never happened this way before for me and I'd rather not spend a week fighting with Chase to get late fees removed plus the hit to my credit score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Chase is showing that my CC payment, which is set to automatically pull from my Ally bank account, posted on Friday.

Ally isn't showing any transaction on their site, and support tells me that there's no pending movements on their system.

Is this a normal thing? Does Chase just show me as paid on the due date and then actually pull the money whenever?

I know it's not a big time difference, but it's never happened this way before for me and I'd rather not spend a week fighting with Chase to get late fees removed plus the hit to my credit score.

It happens on mine often. If chase says your paid and you have to money to cover the transaction you'll be fine. I generally set my payment dates much sooner than the due date but I don't think Chase let's you do that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Cool, yeah there’s enough cash in there. I’ll give it a few days, then, thanks!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This happens to me with Ally all the time. The thing will show as paid and actually show up as pulled out of my Ally account two days later.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Like the others said, this is how American banking works. Happens to me with every bank, pulling payments from two different credit unions. Also happens with transfers between banks more often than not.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, happens all the time. As it says in the message when you submit a payment, the day you submit it is the day it's counted for late fees etc.

Also I don't think banks count delinquent payments against you unless it's been a significant amount of time unpaid right? If you're for example 3 days late on a payment and you call the bank to tell them your situation, would they actually report that to credit bureaus as a late payment?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Something Offal posted:

Yep, happens all the time. As it says in the message when you submit a payment, the day you submit it is the day it's counted for late fees etc.

Also I don't think banks count delinquent payments against you unless it's been a significant amount of time unpaid right? If you're for example 3 days late on a payment and you call the bank to tell them your situation, would they actually report that to credit bureaus as a late payment?

No, they wait >30 days so I’ve read. Never tested it!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Can someone explain this to me:

I made some purchases at Apple earlier this month, and chose to open up a card with them to take advantage of the 18 months no interest promotion. I'm aware of the standard grift that comes with no-interest store cards - the interest you would have paid continues to accrue during the no-interest period, and if you don't pay in full by the end of the no-interest period, then you get hit with the full amount of interest.

But then today I was looking at my first statement and noticed some strange language. It's the rightmost paragraph that's most confusing. It claims that starting on 2 months before the end of the promo period, any payments I make above the minimum necessary payment will be applied towards the accrued deferred interest. Am I wrong, or does this essentially mean I need to have the whole thing paid off in 16 months rather than the advertised 18 months in order to not pay any interest?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The way I read it is that it's possible to charge multiple things to the card, so at the time that the special financing is coming due, your payments will go to that special financing before it goes to anything else you may have charged in the meantime (and not paid off, as expensive as that would be).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
And relatedly, that if you buy anything else with the card you'll pay those purchases off first up until the two-month period happens.

Seems like it's designed to keep you carrying that promotional balance (and accruing its deferred interest) as long as possible, should you buy anything else with the card.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Sounds similar to what Amazon does, they give you the choice of where your payments go but 2 months out, everything above the minimum payment goes toward the balance that is accruing interest (not the interest itself).

Say you bought something for 1000 with no interest for 18 months, month 16 you still owe 500 and you have 200 in new charges from that month and a 50 minimum payment. If you paid 200, your new charges would only be dent by 50 and you'll pay the interest on 150 for the month. You'd need to pay everything in full to cover the new charges.

Basically don't put anything on the card in the last few months of the promotional period until you're ready to pay your whole balance.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 28, 2019

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I forgot to mention it earlier, but astral, you should be getting a referral credit if I applied for my CSP correctly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pseudorandom posted:

I forgot to mention it earlier, but astral, you should be getting a referral credit if I applied for my CSP correctly.

Thanks! Enjoy your card, and make sure to keep an eye or calendar entry on that one-year mark. You'll get a notice on a statement a month or so before the annual fee hits you exactly when they will assess it, and you can call in either just before the annual fee posts, or if it already posted you do have something like 30 days from that date to call in and product change the card for a full refund of it.

With Chase, I personally like to call to do the product change between the one year mark of opening the account and the date they say they'll charge it, which is usually a bit later. If you aren't sure which card you want to change it to, they'll go over the options with you and read you the terms for the one you decide on (this will take a little while).

Also, if you like the card's design, you can keep using the original card even after the product change until the expiration date on the card.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a dumb question, has anyone ever had CapOne close down one of their cards for non-usage? I have the Platinum card I just have tied to a recurring Apple iCloud $4/mo charge and never use otherwise, a Savor I never use, and a QuickSilver that I use for absolutely everything I buy. I wanted to pick up the Venture Rewards for the 50k bonus miles, but I would probably never use it after that.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I have a Capital One Platinum that’s almost 20 years old and it hasn’t been closed despite only putting a single charge on it every 1-2 years. I only keep it for account age purposes.

Anyone know if the annual fee on the CSR counts for my $4k minimum spend for the signup bonus.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Diva Cupcake posted:

I have a Capital One Platinum that’s almost 20 years old and it hasn’t been closed despite only putting a single charge on it every 1-2 years. I only keep it for account age purposes.
Seems legit. I just applied and they approved me for a $30k limit. That is almost three times my other three cards combined :psyduck: Oh well

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Same, mine sat for over a year until my wife accidently used it on an account that we forgot had it saved as a payment method.

I think I posted about it here, but Capone massively hosed up when they rolled out my chip cards, were no help when I called about it (traveling, trying to check into our hotel), and never apologized or admitted they screwed up. So yeah it's going to sit unused helping my credit as one of my oldest accounts, gently caress em.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Man, I'm afraid to apply for a CapitalOne card since they pull 3 bureaus seem pretty random on who they approve or decline, but congratulations!

Friendly reminder to everyone to put a charge on old cards at least once a year to keep 'em alive!

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm in a similar situation except I don't even bother using mine at all, probably haven't for about 5 years and they give no fucks at all. I do use other cards on the account regularly but the platinum is only there for credit age and credit limit purposes.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Anyone know if the annual fee on the CSR counts for my $4k minimum spend for the signup bonus.

I don't know, but they almost never do.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

It does not

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cool. Thanks. I guess I’ll just hit it next month.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does anyone have any tips on getting a rental car in Greece? I don't speak the language and need to get one that'll fit my family (wife and 3 kids ages 7-11) along with the luggage we'll have for two weeks. I'm not up on the 'correct' way to do this to mitigate liability and such. Should I always decline their insurance? Always get it?

I'm about to upgrade my Chase Freedom Unlmited back up to CSR (so I can use my 100K points toward the travel at 1.5x for the flight), which I THINK is the smart play to book it with that. But also hoping to get insights on sites/companies/etc.

Appreciate any help so that I don't gently caress it up. Thanks!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone have any tips on getting a rental car in Greece? I don't speak the language and need to get one that'll fit my family (wife and 3 kids ages 7-11) along with the luggage we'll have for two weeks. I'm not up on the 'correct' way to do this to mitigate liability and such. Should I always decline their insurance? Always get it?

I'm about to upgrade my Chase Freedom Unlmited back up to CSR (so I can use my 100K points toward the travel at 1.5x for the flight), which I THINK is the smart play to book it with that. But also hoping to get insights on sites/companies/etc.

Don't upgrade the FU, if you do you won't get the CSR's sign-in bonus. Apply for it separately. You wanna keep the Freedom Unlimited anyways, the two cards go well together.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Animal posted:

Don't upgrade the FU, if you do you won't get the CSR's sign-in bonus. Apply for it separately. You wanna keep the Freedom Unlimited anyways, the two cards go well together.

I cannot get the sign up bonus as I already had the card when it originally launched. I downgraded it to the CFU. I need to wait out the 48 months to get it again, which I plan to cancel it at some point in the first year and reapply once the 48 is up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

Check your credit card rental insurance paperwork - there's a handful of countries that a lot of them don't cover and I think Greece might be one of those countries.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
What's the deal with the amazon store card and shared accounts? If my wife and I both have accounts, the card has to be in the primary accountholder's name and can't be used on the other for 5% back?

We buy enough there that 5% off would be significant, probably double the cost of prime.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Harik posted:

What's the deal with the amazon store card and shared accounts? If my wife and I both have accounts, the card has to be in the primary accountholder's name and can't be used on the other for 5% back?

We buy enough there that 5% off would be significant, probably double the cost of prime.

Are you set up as an Amazon Family?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

astral posted:

Are you set up as an Amazon Family?

Maybe. There's some weirdness because we used to let it lapse and rejoin on the other one with the 30-day offers. I'd have to go poking around the setting to see how it's setup now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear lord, do I have to wake up at 3am to actually get anyone from Chase on the phone? Have to speak to a CSR because we apparently exceeded amount of login attempts for a new card account (actual attempts to log in: 0) and it doesn't seem to matter how long we hold, nobody ever picks up. Great first impressions guys.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dear lord, do I have to wake up at 3am to actually get anyone from Chase on the phone? Have to speak to a CSR because we apparently exceeded amount of login attempts for a new card account (actual attempts to log in: 0) and it doesn't seem to matter how long we hold, nobody ever picks up. Great first impressions guys.

If it's some sort of Chase Sapphire card, the Sapphire lines nearly always pick up immediately (and I am 95% certain the call center is located in North America).

Chase Sapphire Preferred: 18004933319
Chase Sapphire Reserve: 18004367970

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just a bog standard Freedom card, I'll just have to wait in line with the rest of the proles!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I have to do this for a chargeback on my Freedom and am dreading it, especially since I have a CSR. CSR's customer service has spoiled me.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

I have to do this for a chargeback on my Freedom and am dreading it, especially since I have a CSR. CSR's customer service has spoiled me.

You can call CSR or CSP for issues with other cards and they normally will just help you. Doesn't entirely help in this case as I believe fraud gets you transfered anyway.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

asur posted:

You can call CSR or CSP for issues with other cards and they normally will just help you. Doesn't entirely help in this case as I believe fraud gets you transfered anyway.

Yeah, always call a Sapphire line if you have a Sapphire card. Or maybe if you ever had one and happened to note down the phone number.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Fhqwhgads posted:

Curious on the story here, how have chargebacks worked for you?

Uber overcharged me $5 a couple times -- their in-app support is terrible and they didn't understand the error because of a language barrier. I had reached the end of the line for their support, and my next step was a chargeback, but I decided not to because I've heard stories of them banning accounts as a result. Didn't think that risk was worth $10 or whatever to me in case it was a lifetime ban.

If it's a non-Internet business you're doing a chargeback on then I guess that's a different story, not much they can do.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Oh I have no experience with chargebacks at all but it was looking like it was going to end that way but they (Newegg) had the other charge removed. So I still have no experience with chargebacks.

Great to know I can just call the CSR line for all my Chase cards though!

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Something Offal posted:

Curious on the story here, how have chargebacks worked for you?

Uber overcharged me $5 a couple times -- their in-app support is terrible and they didn't understand the error because of a language barrier. I had reached the end of the line for their support, and my next step was a chargeback, but I decided not to because I've heard stories of them banning accounts as a result. Didn't think that risk was worth $10 or whatever to me in case it was a lifetime ban.

I use Uber/Lyft pretty often when I travel for work. I've never had an issue requesting a bill correction through the app when the driver takes a less optimal route, or didn't indicate that s/he dropped me off when s/he did.

Don't do a charge back for this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah any big business like that is going to kill your account or at least the card you used for it. Uber drivers can be a nightmare, but luckily I've always gotten refunds whenever they screw up (probably helps I use the service a lot and there's no issues 99.99% of the time, I think moving up their ranks even lists 'We won't give you poo poo for cancelling' as a perk and similar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Amex can eat a dick. They cut my credit limit in half from $16k to $8k citing a few months of light usage even though my credit is spotless and my credit scores are 800+ across the board. No other card has done that, even after longer periods of dormancy.

No wonder the internet is full of Amex horror stories over the last decade. I almost want to cancel the account, credit score be damned, because I don't want to have to play games with a company that does that.