Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Costco hot dog combo has been that price since 1985. Which means it's an incredible deal now, but maybe not so much when it was $3.53 cents adjusted for inflation.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Rick posted:

This might be what has to happen. It's not a great value proposition for me for groceries as a single person but I guess maybe if I am getting other things too.

It’s pretty great as a single person. I get about a 6 month supply of mouthwash, tissues, paper towels, etc. in one shot. Food staples are insanely cheap. If you plan ahead it’s great. And Costco business centers are where the real deal-heads go.

E: You could also just have someone buy you a gift card if you just want to stock up on staples. Or in most states the pharmacy and gas stations are required to be open to anyone, not just members.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

That's no Pickens County Tornado

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm thinking that when I move out of my apartment into an actually townhouse (SOOOON) me and the better half will hit a costco and spend a bunch to stock up now that we will actually have storage space!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Costco: rotate you a tire and a chicken :henget:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

excuse me?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

COSTCO, WHERE YOU CAN ROTATE BOTH YOUR TIRES AND YOUR CHICKEN!

There, now do you understand?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pffft, I can rotate my chickens on my own just fine thanks.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Shifty Nipples posted:

I hear your nipples are quite shifty as well

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Nipples posted:

I...I don't think anyone would want your tires or chicken after that...:colbert:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Sears is sued over 'Craftsman' brand

quote:

The retailer was sued on Wednesday by Stanley Black & Decker Inc, which accused it of breach of contract and trademark infringement over its new line of professional-grade mechanics tools under the Craftsman Ultimate Collection brand.

Craftsman had been an iconic Sears brand before Stanley paid about $900 million for it in March 2017, while giving Sears what it called a “limited” license to sell some Craftsman products.

But according to the complaint, Sears breached the license agreement by launching its new tool line and touting its stores as “the real home of the broadest assortment of Craftsman.”

Original tools brand. DO NOT STEAL!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

red19fire posted:

It’s pretty great as a single person. I get about a 6 month supply of mouthwash, tissues, paper towels, etc. in one shot. Food staples are insanely cheap. If you plan ahead it’s great. And Costco business centers are where the real deal-heads go.

E: You could also just have someone buy you a gift card if you just want to stock up on staples. Or in most states the pharmacy and gas stations are required to be open to anyone, not just members.
Some of their products are things you can't easily find(or find at all) elsewhere, too. Even food brands you recognize might be a nicer variation of what you'd find in a regular grocery store. Also their toilet paper rules and makes non-Kirkland TP seem like a ripoff.

The only downer is that you can't justify any of the OTC meds, unless you're somehow going to use 1000 ibuprofen before they expire.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Haifisch posted:

Some of their products are things you can't easily find(or find at all) elsewhere, too. Even food brands you recognize might be a nicer variation of what you'd find in a regular grocery store. Also their toilet paper rules and makes non-Kirkland TP seem like a ripoff.

The only downer is that you can't justify any of the OTC meds, unless you're somehow going to use 1000 ibuprofen before they expire.

Sez you, I constantly have minor aches and pains. :smug:

The best deal at Costco is their rum which is like $14/handle and 86 proof.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, if your Costco has a liquor store you can buy so much quality booze for cheap. Not all of them have liquor shops, but driving out of your way to a location that does is totally worth the gas.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

In some states you don't even need a membership to buy alcohol at Costco. It's nice getting huge booze discounts without paying for a Costco card.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Family Dollar is closing 400 stores; but I guess they are owned by Dollar Tree already?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

FlamingLiberal posted:

Family Dollar is closing 400 stores; but I guess they are owned by Dollar Tree already?

Better that than taking the GameStop option of leaving all the Babbages and EB Games open for years and just changing the branding, ensuring there were two GameStops in every mall and at least one more right outside

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Family Dollar isn't even really a dollar store, more just a convenience store. Dollar Tree usually does stick to everything being about a buck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TheKennedys posted:

Better that than taking the GameStop option of leaving all the Babbages and EB Games open for years and just changing the branding, ensuring there were two GameStops in every mall and at least one more right outside
God I remember that. In one mall near me they were on the same floor

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TheKennedys posted:

The one outside was always a former Funcoland in my experience.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

I hear your nipples are quite shifty as well

Yeah if I'm not paying attention one can end up on my elbow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Add another to the pile

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1103722070331011072?s=21

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Haifisch posted:

The OTC allergy meds are worth it. A year's worth for like $13. Buying a year's worth at Walgreens/CVS will cost ya more than the $13 + $60 membership.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
The K-Mart near me finally shut down, but wound up taking several other businesses with it; there's been a huge push to redevelop every possible plot of commercial-zoned land here lately, and the enormous plot the plaza sits on is right off a pretty major intersection.

One of the affected businesses was a lovely indoor mini-golf course that put up ridiculous passive-aggressive "WE'VE BEEN EVICTED WOE IS US" posters in their windows; I'm willing to bet they just didn't get their lease renewed like everyone else. The same people also owned an awful year-round haunted house (why?) and were making whinging noises about how it will close forever, boo hoo. Really the only places anyone will miss are the Indian restaurant and the sort-of Irish-themed bar, but they seem to both just be relocating, and it's probably for the best as they were both looking pretty drat crusty as of late.

It'll probably all just become another hastily-constructed California-style outdoor mall thing; I have no idea why that's so popular in a place as cold and wet as Oregon.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The one in my local mall closed last month:
Citadel Mall-95 by Will King, on Flickr

The walls of the New York & Company to the right of it have been getting barer every month. They've been going through an "EVERYTHING MUST GO" clearance for quite awhile now. I imagine they'll be the next to go.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The local mall (and the only remaining traditional indoor mall left in the city) has about 5 or 6 vacancies out of 70 spaces, so that's another soon-to-be-vacant space that'll need filling.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Most common medication actually lasts for decades, if it isn't a liquid.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Aw, I have a few things I legit like from there, they're kinda overpriced but decent quality. They have an extremely liberal definition of "pre-distressed" though, there were some pairs that were more hole than pant

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Local malls here are doing fine, but New Jersey is weirdly protective about its shopping malls.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Xenoletum posted:

Local malls here are doing fine, but New Jersey is weirdly protective about its shopping malls.

I moved to Jersey half a year ago and this is true. Local stores and strip malls as far as the eye can see. It feels like I'm in 1998 all over again.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

The local mall (and the only remaining traditional indoor mall left in the city) has about 5 or 6 vacancies out of 70 spaces, so that's another soon-to-be-vacant space that'll need filling.

wait, thats it? my local mall has like 50% vacancies

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
LaCroix maker's CEO blames poor results on 'injustice'

quote:

Shares of National Beverage (FIZZ) plunged nearly 20% Friday on the poor results. But Caporella was defiant.
Although he began the report with an apology for the weak numbers, the headline on the press release was "'We Just Love Our LaCroix' Consumers Chant."

"We are truly sorry for these results stated above. Negligence nor mismanagement nor woeful acts of God were not the reasons — much of this was the result of injustice!" Caporella wrote.

He made an unusual comparison between LaCroix and people who are physically disabled, adding that managing a brand is similar to "caring for someone who becomes handicapped."

"Brands do not see or hear, so they are at the mercy of their owners or care providers who must preserve the dignity and special character that the brand exemplifies," he wrote. National Beverage and LaCroix "will remain the preeminent innovator that adds zest and authenticity to the 'sparkling water' phenomenon in North America," he concluded.

This appears to be a jab at a class action lawsuit that was filed against the company in October by a customer named Lenora Rice.

In the lawsuit, Rice said she started to drink LaCroix in 2016 because she thought it had all natural ingredients. But Rice now alleges that LaCroix has several synthetic compounds in it, including a chemical used to kill cockroaches, and she claims the company is misleading customers by claiming that LaCroix is 100% natural.

National Beverage has issued numerous statements refuting the allegations since the lawsuit was filed.

But the company is facing other challenges besides the lawsuit. LaCroix's popularity has attracted competition from much larger companies in the beverage and retail sector.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/investing/lacroix-national-beverage-earnings/index.html

:thunk:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
That and store brand generic seltzer tastes the same for a quarter the price.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hal's is up and coming on the East Coast and it's really good seltzer, right up there with Vintage.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Polar supremacy

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

The full statement from the CEO is loving insane. Quoting myself from the capitalism.png thread:

Mr.Radar posted:

Broke: pretending your food brand is a person on Twitter.

Woke: pretending your food brand is a person in earnings reports when your earnings are 30% below projections:

"[b posted:

"We Just Love Our LaCroix" Consumers Chant"]“We are truly sorry for these results stated above. Negligence nor mismanagement nor woeful acts of God were not the reasons – much of this was the result of injustice! Managing a brand is not so different from caring for someone who becomes handicapped. Brands do not see or hear, so they are at the mercy of their owners or care providers who must preserve the dignity and special character that the brand exemplifies. It is important that LaCroix’s true character is not devalued intentionally − in any way. National Beverage Corp. is and will remain the preeminent innovator that adds zest and authenticity to the ‘sparkling water’ phenomenon in North America,” stated Nick A. Caporella, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.[/b]

“Additionally, gross margins were impacted by volume declines. Comparisons were further skewed by the adoption of the new tax act in the third quarter of the prior year, which included credits and rate reduction adjustments aggregating $11.3 million. Nothing herein mentioned has detracted from the ultimate value and future of our dynamic company.

There is no greater passion than the kind that creates the wonderful refreshment and contentment described as unique! No doubt, the sound and personality of the word LaCroix, coupled with the awesome experience of its essence and taste ...is unique. One can be induced to purchase by cheapening price or giving away a product, but falling in love with a feeling of joy is the result of contentment. Just ask any LaCroix consumer ... Would you trade away that LaLa feeling? ‘No way, they shout – We just love our LaCroix!’ I am positive they respond this way each and every time,” Caporella concluded.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Dilb posted:

Most common medication actually lasts for decades, if it isn't a liquid.

Yep, only thing is after a loooong time it gets less effective. It doesn't suddenly morph into cyanide or something.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Oh and if you Acetaminophen smells like vinegar then throw it out. Can happen quickly if you leave it in a hot car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Who knew the LaCroix trend of late 2017 early 2018 would generate humor in 2019?