Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Blowjob paving slab joke aside, I hated Love and Monsters because--curmudgeonly of me as it may be--I did not think Doctor Who needed an episode that contained a bunch of Scooby Doo references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Blowjob paving slab joke aside, I hated Love and Monsters because--curmudgeonly of me as it may be--I did not think Doctor Who needed an episode that contained a bunch of Scooby Doo references.

See, that's my favorite part of that episode, and thought that, while Doctor Who didn't need an episode with those references, I sure am glad it had one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The problem with the blowjob joke is it gives me all sorts of unpleasant mental images, along with some questions I don’t know if I want answered or not. :stonklol:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

wet cement

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like... does she have to eat or drink? Does she age? Is she going to live in that cement block for eternity? Did the Doctor save her out of rage because she was related to the Family of Blood?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Like... does she have to eat or drink? Does she age? Is she going to live in that cement block for eternity? Did the Doctor save her out of rage because she was related to the Family of Blood?

Clearly the only way to settle these matters is to finally have an in-setting Doctor Who-MST3K crossover.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

See, that's my favorite part of that episode, and thought that, while Doctor Who didn't need an episode with those references, I sure am glad it had one.

While I know that Doctor Who has had the occasional reference to pop culture ever since The Beatles were popular, the way it was handled in that particular episode made it feel less like DW and more like Family Guy. All it needed was The Doctor going "This is like the time that..." and an alcoholic (robot) dog.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

an alcoholic (robot) dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZgN5658H-I

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sydney Bottocks posted:

While I know that Doctor Who has had the occasional reference to pop culture ever since The Beatles were popular, the way it was handled in that particular episode made it feel less like DW and more like Family Guy. All it needed was The Doctor going "This is like the time that..." and an alcoholic (robot) dog.

Now I want a cutaway every time the Doctor makes some reference to an offscreen adventure. :colbert:

“Do you remember hopping for our lives?”

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like when they say something that sounds like an absurd non sequitur Family Guy gag but it's an actual reference to a previous episode, eg "Seal of the High Council of Gallifrey, nicked it off the Master in the Death Zone"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

quote:

He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing. The fury of the Time Lord. And then we discovered why. Why this Doctor who had fought with gods and demons, why he’d run away from us and hidden. He was being kind.

He wrapped my father in unbreakable chains, forged in the heart of a dwarf star.

He tricked my mother into the event horizon of a collapsing galaxy, to be imprisoned there forever. He still visits my sister— once a year, every year. I wonder if one day he might forgive her. But there she is! Can you see her? He trapped her inside a mirror. Every mirror. If ever you look at your reflection and see something move behind you—just for a second—that’s her. That’s always her.

As for me, I was suspended in time. And the Doctor put me to work standing over the fields of England, as their protector.

Oh, and there was our 3rd cousin. He saved her, only to live an eternity as a sentient fellating pavi--you know, the less said about her the better. Anyway, we wanted to live forever. So the Doctor made sure that we did.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

tom baker is too charismatic

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Facebook reminded me a year ago it snowed, and that I took this fantastic photo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's awesome!

I saw this pic online, and for a moment started to freak because I couldn't remember which story it was from, before I realized, "oh wait, it's photoshop".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

That's awesome!

I saw this pic online, and for a moment started to freak because I couldn't remember which story it was from, before I realized, "oh wait, it's photoshop".

Huh that’s interesting, they shopped his eyes to look in a different direction.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That's the amnesia. Because this is obviously from the story where he has that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"I'm a Doctor, but probably not the one you were expecting."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So does that make him the only legitimate doctor Doctor?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can’t help but hear this in Kelsey Grammar’s Frasier voice:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I haven't bought any Big Finish in about six months mostly out of circumstance, but them bringing back James Dreyfus and being all pally with him on Twitter (where his bio includes "don't call me cis" and every second tweet is making GBS threads on trans people) sure makes me feel like consciously avoiding them going forward.

Like, hire Gareth Roberts to write something while you're at it why don't you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

I haven't bought any Big Finish in about six months mostly out of circumstance, but them bringing back James Dreyfus and being all pally with him on Twitter (where his bio includes "don't call me cis" and every second tweet is making GBS threads on trans people) sure makes me feel like consciously avoiding them going forward.

Like, hire Gareth Roberts to write something while you're at it why don't you.

I had a very similar reaction to seeing Dreyfus back, but I did have a couple people point out to me that after his first BF appearance there was a podcast or something where Briggs was teasing having already had him in the studio for a couple different projects.

I'm really hoping this was just something that was already in the can, and that they aren't planning on bringing him back for more stuff now that they're aware of his transphobia.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So apparently I've been voluntold to take a friend to see Logopolis this Wednesday on the big screen.

Man I hope this story doesn't leave me hanging.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Speaking of Gareth Roberts, did that rumour about him writing for the next series go anywhere? It'll be really funny if the most woke iteration of the show yet brings back a writer from previous eras and rather than Sarah "punching racists" Dollard or Jamie "capitalism literally kills" Mathieson they go with the extremely publicly conservative guy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

So apparently I've been voluntold to take a friend to see Logopolis this Wednesday on the big screen.

So long as the moment has been prepared for, you should be fine.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

CobiWann posted:

It's extremely gripping near the end, but falls off somewhat at the climax.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The story hangs by a thread but sticks the landing

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

sinepost posted:

It's extremely gripping near the end, but falls off somewhat at the climax.

It's let down sharply at the end by some cardboard acting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I gotta say, it's so weird looking back at Adric as a companion to 4. It worked so much better than with 5, even though the bulk of his run on the show was with Davison. There was a really interesting dynamic between 4 and Adric, and I wouldn't be surprised if a large part of that wasn't the actor being intimidated by Tom and that coming across in his performance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Astroman posted:

So does that make him the only legitimate doctor Doctor?

John Hurt had honourary doctorates too I think.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Man I gotta say, it's so weird looking back at Adric as a companion to 4. It worked so much better than with 5, even though the bulk of his run on the show was with Davison. There was a really interesting dynamic between 4 and Adric, and I wouldn't be surprised if a large part of that wasn't the actor being intimidated by Tom and that coming across in his performance.

A well earned intidiation that is EXTREMELY NEEDED for the smug little know it all Adric could sadly become

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Like... does she have to eat or drink?

Well she will be.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hmm ...

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1104803611333328896

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A really, really, really weird episode of Blakes 7?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Big Finish hasn't done a doctor crossover in ages and ages

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jerusalem posted:

A really, really, really weird episode of Blakes 7?

Blake’s 7 and 8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheezle posted:

Blake’s 7 and 8

McCoy: There was a Blake's 8?
McGann: I forget.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu3NZEqHyGk/

Yesterday, Syl and Paul.
Today, Capt Jack in Colin's coat.

What's going on?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu3NZEqHyGk/

Yesterday, Syl and Paul.
Today, Capt Jack in Colin's coat.

What's going on?

Oooh, I wonder if they’re going to Jack’s living through the 20the century, maybe meeting other Doctors?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's illegal for them to do that before they do a Jack/River audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

It's illegal for them to do that before they do a Jack/River audio.

They made a Jack/River audio, but you need access to the special R18 section of bigfinish.com to hear it.