Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Isn't that imagery borrowed from a photograph from a different incident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Stereotype posted:

Its super fun that the Republicans have decided their 2020 strategy is just "make up a hyperbolic dystopian fantasy world and insist it is real and happening right now and that they will prevent it from ever happening." I am having a great time that makes me happy when a major policy proposal from the President of the United States is "I won't murder all the cows and ban steak like my opponent is proposing."

Personally, I kind of enjoy the irony that their actions are creating a requirement for the kind of dystopia they talk about. I mean to survive climate change in a meaningful way is going to ultimately lead to a lot of command and control.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Otteration posted:

During the CPAC cult fest, some have been wondering how the chuds begin to get indoctrinated.

In an interesting subplot to the recent "The Trauma Floor - The secret lives of Facebook moderators in America" article in The Verge ( https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona ) some monitors reported feeling sympathetic to crazy conspiracy theories after they had to watch gobs of those videos. Even when they suspected their new views were wrong, in some cases:

“People really started to believe these posts they were supposed to be moderating,” she says. “They were saying, ‘Oh gosh, they weren’t really there. Look at this CNN video of David Hogg — he’s too old to be in school.’ People started Googling things instead of doing their jobs and looking into conspiracy theories about them. We were like, ‘Guys, no, this is the crazy stuff we’re supposed to be moderating. What are you doing?’”

Laura Loomer is probably not insane, she just has come to believe the bs.

It's memetics- ideas themselves are living organisms that live and breed and die. This insanity is basically a really nasty viral infection and we'll either start producing antibodies as a society to combat it or we won't. This stuff has always been around but the internet has turbo-charged it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lycus posted:

Maybe, but it seems like he only sniffs a lot during certain things.

during speeches after he's done a lot of glad handing, after his afrin has worn off.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

an AOL chatroom posted:

It's because they're not arguing in good faith. They want a quick feel-good shot of "haha, we're the smart ones and it's everyone else who is stupid", and they claim whatever they want regarding the New Green Deal because they know nobody else in their circle has read it, let alone is willing to call out inaccuracies in discussion.

Basically, because the lie feels good. The elephant in the room is the fact that it's probably not true, and that it'd literally take five minutes to verify its truth... but then they'd risk losing the warm comfort of the lie.

I understand why their shitbrick minds say the things I just didn’t know why they kept saying it in regards to the new green deal but the replies have been very informative. So thank you.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, but bartending is a drunkard job in their eyes. They envision her working at bars like you see on Bar Rescue where the women act slutty and show their boobies and catfight and stuff only to be rescued by Taffer's Butt Funnel

That would explain Garrison's decision to draw her wearing a revealing outfit in that one bartending political cartoon he did a while ago. And most of his other cartoons depicting her.

an AOL chatroom posted:

Young conservatives mock those with service-industry jobs. Simple as that. If your family doesn't have connections to get you a "respectable" job, you're lesser than.

I live in an area with a booming downtown district, and my friends who wait tables and tend bar have terrible stories about entitled smug wannabe businesskids. They yell at staff, steal poo poo, trash the restrooms, take up more table/bar space than anyone else, and tip lousy.

I suppose that with that, like with many other proposals, the cruelty is the point. How else can they prove they're better than those other people?

an AOL chatroom posted:

It's because they're not arguing in good faith. They want a quick feel-good shot of "haha, we're the smart ones and it's everyone else who is stupid", and they claim whatever they want regarding the New Green Deal because they know nobody else in their circle has read it, let alone is willing to call out inaccuracies in discussion.

Basically, because the lie feels good. The elephant in the room is the fact that it's probably not true, and that it'd literally take five minutes to verify its truth... but then they'd risk losing the warm comfort of the lie.

In a way, the secretive/conspiratorial nature of the GND's FAQ has been a boon for discussing it with people here. It at once confirms that there is a little something more to what they've been told, that there was a document associated with it that was taken down... And then it turns out that it was due to unfortunate word choices and flippancy, and not due to its outlining a plan to use tactical nuclear missiles to destroy all fetuses, planes, and cows with one fell swoop.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Dammerung posted:

That would explain Garrison's decision to draw her wearing a revealing outfit in that one bartending political cartoon he did a while ago. And most of his other cartoons depicting her.

My guess is that, to them, a bar is a Hooters or Tilted Kilt or some other woman objectifying place "dudes" gather. That might be part of it too.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Noise Complaint posted:

That Ruby Ridges painting is incredible to see. I love how shes slightly off-step with the Marshalls but she's copying their fist clench in order to be strong.

Anyway, I think that Murder in Mississippi gets a bit of a pass, Rockwell is illustrating the real death of individuals here.

A bit, because of his audience. He could have portrayed them as all dead. He could have portrayed them as all standing, in defiance. Or all kneeling, in submission. Or with the black guy as the hero with the white guys on their knees. Or with....

In any case, other artists had already written it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rzSOI

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dammerung posted:

It's exceptionally disappointing to constantly run into it. It'd be refreshing to encounter critiques of the GND grounded in some measure of reality, but the constant embrace of conspiratorial theory crafting seems indicative of a desire to not engage with the principal reason underpinning the necessity of the GND.

You can't even openly debate it within the Democratic party because anything about GND that isn't overwhelmingly positive is going to be ruthlessly exploited by the opposing party acting entirely in bad faith.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

1glitch0 posted:

I'll just say this. A drunk will take every chance to get drunk at a party. An alcoholic will avoid alcohol at parties and then binge alone afterwards. Or beforehand

This is probably the dumbest definition of an alcoholic I've ever read.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

SocketWrench posted:

Other white dude is dead on the ground, man. It's not an impossible take that guy gets shot and falls against other guy a split second before he's offed too

Yep. All is possible, because Rockwell was likely making the scene up.

Edit: Not exactly sure "wpossible" is actually a word. :)

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 3, 2019

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I mean, there's already a post with the photo it's inspired by back up thread

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 3, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, but bartending is a drunkard job in their eyes. They envision her working at bars like you see on Bar Rescue where the women act slutty and show their boobies and catfight and stuff only to be rescued by Taffer's Butt Funnel

I think that like any other service job that requires the employee to stay up late, there tends to be a fair amount of coke use in the bartending profession. This just comes from personal experience rather than any real data so I'd be glad if I was completely wrong.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Otteration posted:

A bit, because of his audience. He could have portrayed them as all dead. He could have portrayed them as all standing, in defiance. Or all kneeling, in submission. Or with the black guy as the hero with the white guys on their knees. Or with....

In any case, other artists had already written it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rzSOI

I don’t think Rockwell would have taken offense to the criticism. If I remember correctly the reason we can’t see the faces of the marshals in The Problem We All Live With is that he wanted he audience to only have Ruby Ridges to relate to. He knew if we saw a bunch of white dudes faces they would become the heroes and not her.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

VH4Ever posted:

My guess is that, to them, a bar is a Hooters or Tilted Kilt or some other woman objectifying place "dudes" gather. That might be part of it too.

So kinda like some of the things we saw out of CPAC? Toxic masculinity is such a blight.

Stereotype posted:

You can't even openly debate it within the Democratic party because anything about GND that isn't overwhelmingly positive is going to be ruthlessly exploited by the opposing party acting entirely in bad faith.

I think anything relating back to the Democratic party and any sort of potential division (such as AOC essentially threatening to name and shame non-progressive Democrats) is going to be exploited by the opposing party acting in bad faith. It's not a great situation at all, but what else can we do but fight on?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Reminder that the cartoonist Mike Lester thinks the marshals are arresting Ruby Bridges.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

JawKnee posted:

I mean, there's already a post with the photo it's inspired by back up thread

Yep, when I said "Rockwell made it up," I was going with the idea that he wasn't at the execution scene. He almost always worked from photos, or other realistic depictions. For example, in "Murder in Mississippi" he worked from photos. Posed as the final painting turned out.

http://www.nrm.org/MT/text/MurderMississippi.html

And the linked photo above is a good pose, but has not much to do with happy days in Mississippi in 1964.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Lycus posted:

Reminder that the cartoonist Mike Lester thinks the marshals are arresting Ruby Bridges.
More important reminder that Mike Lester beats his wife

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Otteration posted:

Yep, when I said "Rockwell made it up," I was going with the idea that he wasn't at the execution scene. He almost always worked from photos, or other realistic depictions. For example, in "Murder in Mississippi" he worked from photos. Posed as the final painting turned out.

http://www.nrm.org/MT/text/MurderMississippi.html

And the linked photo above is a good pose, but has not much to do with happy days in Mississippi in 1964.

Yep. But the original sketches are much more in line with the Aid From Padre photo:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Stevevillano11/status/1101301344965742592

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lycus posted:

AmiYumi posted:

More important reminder that Mike Lester beats his wife

I hope Lula gets the prize.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 3, 2019

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I have to reply to the Portland hate.

I have lived here most of my life(1981-2009 and 2012-now) I work in the capacity of a social worker now and screw you people that are saying Portland is still a racial state/whatever you think. We are more inclusive than any of your states when it comes to programs for drug rehab/criminal justice rehab. etc.

Fight me.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

:master:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Imagine being as rich as Notch, so rich you could spend a lower middle class yearly income a day for years and not feel it, where in a moment you can decide to travel to a private island and be up to your ears in cleavage giggling, or hosting big huge parties to meet people in, or using that money to improve the lives of countless people, but instead you decide to waste away in your pissy basement tweeting out and believing the dumbest loving bullshit imaginable

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102002565116542976?s=19
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102004371225751557?s=19

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I am willing to accept that what I've heard about racism portland and portland racism are false.

Please tell me the truth as to rumors about meth, cops, tattoos, cop tattoos, cop meth, meth tattoos, tattoo meth and methcops.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Everyone is so stupid it's physically exhausting.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Imagine being as rich as Notch, so rich you could spend a lower middle class yearly income a day for years and not feel it, where in a moment you can decide to travel to a private island and be up to your ears in cleavage giggling, or hosting big huge parties to meet people in, or using that money to improve the lives of countless people, but instead you decide to waste away in your pissy basement tweeting out and believing the dumbest loving bullshit imaginable

You forget that Notch can't do that poo poo with the money he has.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

1glitch0 posted:

Everyone is so stupid it's physically exhausting.

All these pundits infuriate me! I just need a little FOX & Friends to chill out.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

EdithUpwards posted:

I am willing to accept that what I've heard about racism portland and portland racism are false.

Please tell me the truth as to rumors about meth, cops, tattoos, cop tattoos, cop meth, meth tattoos, tattoo meth and methcops.

Nah. Racism is real everywhere. it's mostly outside the city that you encounter that poo poo. Going to outdoor raves in bumfuck Oregon with an African American girlfriend was enlightening.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fragmented posted:

I have lived here most of my life(1981-2009 and 2012-now) I work in the capacity of a social worker now and screw you people that are saying Portland is still a racial state/whatever you think. We are more inclusive than any of your states when it comes to programs for drug rehab/criminal justice rehab. etc.

Fight me.

That would be cool and reassuring to the rest of us that don't live there! Have some evidence/anecdotes?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

EdithUpwards posted:

You forget that Notch can't do that poo poo with the money he has.

Why not? Didn’t he get the lions share of 2B? That’s gently caress off money and he could do lots of those things.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The manuscript that the publisher says doesn't exist?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Calaveron posted:

Notch is a great example of money both changing and not changing you. Dude was a basement dweller neckbeard before he made a pile of money, now he's the same basement dweller neckbeard now. There's a certain kind of person who is just one thing and will seek out to be that one thing as hard as they can, no matter their situation.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

And George RR Martin is still a nerdy guy that collects fantasy minatures and sci-fi memorabilia. He just has a lot more money to do that.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Fragmented posted:

Fight me.

Thank you!

Yes, we all know that Portland has problems and is not perfect. I especially know that growing up in Portland I was not really aware of racial issues, because I didn't have a lot of first hand exposure. But for some reason, people keep on pulling out Oregon's constitution from the 1850s, when pretty much the entire country was racist, as proof that Oregon is somehow hidden racism land.

Did you know that Super Mario Bros 2 was originally an entirely different game, called Doki Doki Panic? Because that is the type of world-altering trivia that people who bring up Oregon's original constitution seem to be aiming for.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Notch is a great example of money both changing and not changing you. Dude was a basement dweller neckbeard before he made a pile of money, now he's the same basement dweller neckbeard now. There's a certain kind of person who is just one thing and will seek out to be that one thing as hard as they can, no matter their situation.

yeah. it proves money can't bring you happiness if your already a shithead. he spends his days screaming and being mad on twitter instead of being able to do loving anything no matter what it is.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Otteration posted:

That would be cool and reassuring to the rest of us that don't live there! Have some evidence/anecdotes?

Central City Concern has the Imani center, Urban League does rent assistance. There was just a low income fair market housing project that i helped with last year. There's a bunch of low income housing coming up this year.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Lycus posted:

The manuscript that the publisher says doesn't exist?

It's cause he gon' spill some more

https://twitter.com/PostRoz/status/1102025327549825024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/HHP_Feb2019_RV_crosstabs.pdf

quote:

"Great nations do not fight endless wars"

Very/Somewhat believable

Republicans - 77%
Democrats - 64%
Independent - 62%
Liberal - 66%
Moderate - 64%
Conservative - 74%

"The U.S. should pull its troops out of Syria and Afghanistan"

Very/Somewhat believable

Republicans - 75%