Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

chaosapiant posted:

One of my favorite toy franchises as a kid was Robocop. And, if you’ve seen the original Robocop, you’d know that poo poo was never supposed to have kids watching it.

There was actually a safe for kids Robocop TV show that was kinda amazing because of the lengths they had to go to in order for Robocop to solve cop problems without actually shooting anyone with his gun.

It also featured this guy:

https://youtu.be/diZjO04AT9w

Commander Cash would have easily fit in the original movie as part of the whole ridiculous parody of capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

Attention!! Just received another wonder trade shiny! if anyone would like a shiny Xurkitree another has just become available!

I'll gladly take the funky-coloured Guzmatree if no one else has.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jedi425 posted:

There was actually a safe for kids Robocop TV show that was kinda amazing because of the lengths they had to go to in order for Robocop to solve cop problems without actually shooting anyone with his gun.

It also featured this guy:

https://youtu.be/diZjO04AT9w

Commander Cash would have easily fit in the original movie as part of the whole ridiculous parody of capitalism.

I do remember that show. Never really watched it though. I saw Robocop 2 in theaters when I was 10 and parts of that movie frightened the poo poo out of me.

Pokémon breeding: how “fast” can someone breed? When I tried in Y, I’d wait for two mons to bang each other, then steal the egg and do laps on my bike with it until it hatched. That poo poo was tedious, but people breed by the thousands. How?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
with an oval charm, a Pokémon with magma armor, and Tauros, you can crank through like 45+ an hour

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

indigi posted:

with an oval charm, a Pokémon with magma armor, and Tauros, you can crank through like 45+ an hour

I can’t begin to piece together what any of that poo poo means aside from Taurus. Don’t worry pokefriends, I’ll get there!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Has the full game been leaked yet?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I can’t begin to piece together what any of that poo poo means aside from Taurus. Don’t worry pokefriends, I’ll get there!

Go to the game freak office in HeaHea city and beat Morimoto in battle. He'll give you the oval charm as a prize and it massively increases egg output. To speed up the hatching process put a pokemon with flame body or magma armor as an ability at the head of your party then hop on your Taurus and start running around. Like indigo said you can easily crank out 45+ or more pokemon. If you have any more questions about how to breed an ideal pokemon: stats, nature, moves, ability etc. ask me and I'll help you out.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'll gladly take the funky-coloured Guzmatree if no one else has.

Alright! Send me over your FC and IGN and lets get started. Just to warn you it has a stupid name. Not gross just dumb.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

Alright! Send me over your FC and IGN and lets get started. Just to warn you it has a stupid name. Not gross just dumb.

It doesn't matter, it's not like I'll ever unbox it. FC is 4167-4851-0640, IGN's Blaze. I'd need yours too to add you though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

chaosapiant posted:

I do remember that show. Never really watched it though. I saw Robocop 2 in theaters when I was 10 and parts of that movie frightened the poo poo out of me.

Pokémon breeding: how “fast” can someone breed? When I tried in Y, I’d wait for two mons to bang each other, then steal the egg and do laps on my bike with it until it hatched. That poo poo was tedious, but people breed by the thousands. How?

It's pretty darn fast in the Alola games.

Oval Charm is a key item you get it in Hea Hea City from Moritomo in the Gamefreak building. It makes eggs appear more often.

If you have a Pokemon with Magma Armor or Flame Body in your party, eggs hatch twice as fast. If you're in Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, you can also use the Roto Hatch power (received randomly when Rotom's eyes flash), to cut it in half again.

Then what you do is go out to the small enclosed pen right in front of the Nursery, bring out your Tauros ride-on Pokemon, and spin in circles like an idiot. When the attendant outside crosses her arms, that means an egg is ready! Go grab it, and spin some more. When you have a party full of eggs, pop a Roto Hatch, or just keep spinning and keep collecting eggs as they come in. If you accept another egg while your party is full, you'll be promted to send any extras straight to your PC.

You can amass unholy amounts of eggs in no time at all.

I also do a perhaps unhealthy amount of breeding. I can answer any more questions you might have!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It doesn't matter, it's not like I'll ever unbox it. FC is 4167-4851-0640, IGN's Blaze. I'd need yours too to add you though.

Check page two, I'm doing a shiny giveaway so you can pick some more if you want.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Thanks for the breeding tips!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

Check page two, I'm doing a shiny giveaway so you can pick some more if you want.

Okay, I've added you. Also I saw the list, but it's overwhelming, I'd pretty much want everything if I asked, so I'll refrain from it. Though...I'd like the Ampharos if no one has taken it.

Also, random WT fodder is okay, right? Or do you want anything in particular?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Once you’ve bred that much, is the idea to keep line breeding Pokémon to get good trait and moves? Is there any kind of eugenics?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I was told magma armor/flame body and Roto Hatch don't stack, and based on limited testing it seems true. I could be wrong though as my tests were just counting spins

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Okay, I've added you. Also I saw the list, but it's overwhelming, I'd pretty much want everything if I asked, so I'll refrain from it. Though...I'd like the Ampharos if no one has taken it.

Also, random WT fodder is okay, right? Or do you want anything in particular?

Unfortunately the Ampharos was just recently given away. But I'm serious when I say grab something else I don't mind. As for what I'd like in return there's a couple niche things I'd want for example:

a hidden ability passimian, a growlithe in a luxury ball, or a pidove in a dusk ball.

But if none of those are available just grab a wingull or something and throw it my way I really don't mind.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Once you’ve bred that much, is the idea to keep line breeding Pokémon to get good trait and moves? Is there any kind of eugenics?

sort of but not really, once you get a mon with perfect stats you give it a destiny knot, give an ever stone to a ditto with the nature you want, and breed those over and over until a perfect shiny pops out

e: also if one of the Pokémon is from a different region (real-world different region, not in-game regions) it increases (doubles?) your chances of hatching a shiny

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

We uh....don't castrate the pokemon sweetie.

What you're going to need is an everstone and a destiny knot. The destiny knot passes down IVs between parents and the everstone ensures the nature of the baby is one you want. Just make sure the parent with that nature holds it. In order to check IV stats in sun and moon you'll need to hatch 20 eggs then talk to the IV judge at the battle tree. He'll give you the means to check them out on the computer. These basically tell you what traits are the best on your pokemon in a little chart (speed attack etc.). If you're breeding ralts for example you want special attack and speed to be very high. Also you're going want to start catching some dittos with good natures like Jolly or Modest.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lol if you don't keep a stud book of Pokemon lineages you've been cultivating since Ruby and Sapphire.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

lol if you don't keep a stud book of Pokemon lineages you've been cultivating since Ruby and Sapphire.

The dittos are the studs tho.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

im watching the scotch mist episode of darkplace again and i think the 8.1 thread title should be "Have you ever been to Galar, Dag?"

thank you for your time

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

I was told magma armor/flame body and Roto Hatch don't stack, and based on limited testing it seems true. I could be wrong though as my tests were just counting spins

Bulbapedia posted:

From Pokémon Emerald onward, if a Pokémon with Magma Armor is in the party (even if fainted), the number of cycles it takes for all Pokémon Eggs in the party to hatch are halved. This effect does not stack with itself or Flame Body; however, it can be stacked with Hatching Power Pass Power or O-Power.

Flopsy posted:

Unfortunately the Ampharos was just recently given away. But I'm serious when I say grab something else I don't mind. As for what I'd like in return there's a couple niche things I'd want for example:

a hidden ability passimian, a growlithe in a luxury ball, or a pidove in a dusk ball.

But if none of those are available just grab a wingull or something and throw it my way I really don't mind.

Oh. Well, I'd like the Rowlet too, if that's possible. And I have none of those but I can try to hunt for Growlithe, I have Luxury Balls on me.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flopsy posted:

The dittos are the studs tho.

dittos are insatiable power bottoms

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Ruby/Sapphire remakes even added an island with its own Day Care and a unique infinitely rotating beach map so you can weigh down the control pad with something heavy and leave it to ride your bike in circles as long as you need to for all the eggs to hatch.

While the Gold/Silver remakes had the Pokewalker where you could get meta and take an egg out for a IRL walk. (or attach it to a ceiling fan or something if you're a goddamn tosser)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh. Well, I'd like the Rowlet too, if that's possible. And I have none of those but I can try to hunt for Growlithe, I have Luxury Balls on me.

Oh no! I just gave him away yesterday! I'm so sorry! Aargh. I need to go back there and do some editing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just got a Destiny Knot the other day and had no idea it was for breeding. Most items don’t tell you much about how to use them huh?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

in the pokemon world a bike costs $1,000,000. you can't expect a ten year old to have that kind of scratch, especially in gen1
The currency is a yen equivalent and you know it! That bike costs 10 000 bucks!

Which is still, a lot, actually. What the hell kind of bicycle is that.

E: I just checked the wiki on this important subject and turns out in the japanese versions the money is literally just yen, no pretensions about it. They fictionalised the currency in localisation.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 3, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I just got a Destiny Knot the other day and had no idea it was for breeding. Most items don’t tell you much about how to use them huh?

It can be used as battle item but it's kinda worthless that way. It's 100% invaluable for breeding though. In fact I'd say it's absolutely vital.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

Oh no! I just gave him away yesterday! I'm so sorry! Aargh. I need to go back there and do some editing.

Oh, uhh...well, whatever. If the Dugtrio's Alolan that'd be nice but otherwise Xurkitree is enough for me, and I don't want to ask for too much anyways. Oh, and I got the Luxury Ball Growlithe! I'll go to Festival Plaza now.

Amppelix posted:

The currency is a Yen equivalent and you know it! That bike costs 10 000 bucks!

Which is still, a lot, actually. What the hell kind of bicycle is that.

Inflation was really bad in the Pokemon World.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's wild that a couple simple machines fixed together in the form of a bicycle costs 10k but technology as complicated as pokeballs are 2bux each

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC the bikes in Pokemon are fancy collapsible models, at least sometimes anyway. Pokemon actually seems better than... almost every other RPG in that your carrying capacity is somewhat realistically what you could stuff into the backpack or bag that every Trainer carries around, with Pokeballs being specifically so you can hold creatures the size of a truck in a convenient carrying size. (and the anime even has Pokeballs shrink to an even smaller size for carrying around, since otherwise they're about the size of a tennis ball and thus a bit big to actually carry those monsters in your pocket)

It does reflect on a kid's view of the world pretty well that while it's easy to figure out how much a can of pop, some basic medicine or even a fancy doll is gonna cost, something like a good bike in the multiple hundreds of dollars range is basically like a yacht as far as they're concerned. (for old fashioned kids anyway, with Amazon and stuff these days they might have a better handle on things)

I'm guessing Pokeballs are possibly subsidised somewhat to encourage Trainers, and/or the base models are refined to the point where they're crazy cheap to produce.

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

while people are answering questions about the breeding process, is there any way to breed a beast ball onto a piplup?
i have a female araquanid in a beast ball, who can give piplup aqua ring as an egg move, but if the female parent is always the one that passes down their pokeball then i can't figure out a way to get a piplup into a ball other than a boring regular ball

am i missing something here?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

How often you get eggs also depends on who you put in as well. The pair will produce more eggs if they are the same species and have different trainer IDs and obviously you won't get any eggs at all if the two are the same gender or they don't belong to the same egg group.

Tunklord Supreme posted:

while people are answering questions about the breeding process, is there any way to breed a beast ball onto a piplup?
i have a female araquanid in a beast ball, who can give piplup aqua ring as an egg move, but if the female parent is always the one that passes down their pokeball then i can't figure out a way to get a piplup into a ball other than a boring regular ball

The parents need to be the same species but in different balls.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 3, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tunklord Supreme posted:

Nah, you're sadly on point. Only the female parent can pass down their Pokeball, so Pokemon you acquire via other means will always have whatever ball they came in. (and breeding with Ditto has the non-Ditto parent always count as the female)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tunklord Supreme posted:

It has to be two parents of the exact same species to pass the pokeball down. Breed a piplup with aqua ring then breed it with another piplup in the ball you want.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, you're sadly on point. Only the female parent can pass down their Pokeball, so Pokemon you acquire via other means will always have whatever ball they came in. (and breeding with Ditto has the non-Ditto parent always count as the female)

That was last gen. Males can pass down their poke balls now too.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Pokeballs are $2 because they're gacha balls and the game is still Capsule Monsters :colbert:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Hey so what if someone was dumb enough to require a shiny timid drought ninetales. What method presents the best odds? I've been doing the PokeNav in Alpha Sapphire and my encounter level is over 999 (and it drives me fuckin nuts they don't keep track of your current chain; I know mine's somewhere over 100) and while I've got two shiny Vulpixes from it so far, neither have Drought and I can't guarantee Timid, only influence it with a dead Abra in front of my party. I thought this method would result in quicker encounters than breeding, not having to constantly be dumping eggs.
But maybe I'm wrong and breeding (where I can guarantee timid nature, at least) has better odds? There's too much math behind this, someone here's got to have already done it, right?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

Hey so what if someone was dumb enough to require a shiny timid drought ninetales. What method presents the best odds? I've been doing the PokeNav in Alpha Sapphire and my encounter level is over 999 (and it drives me fuckin nuts they don't keep track of your current chain; I know mine's somewhere over 100) and while I've got two shiny Vulpixes from it so far, neither have Drought and I can't guarantee Timid, only influence it with a dead Abra in front of my party. I thought this method would result in quicker encounters than breeding, not having to constantly be dumping eggs.
But maybe I'm wrong and breeding (where I can guarantee timid nature, at least) has better odds? There's too much math behind this, someone here's got to have already done it, right?

*Timidly raises hand*....uh I can breed you a timid drought vulpix but I can't guarantee she'll be shiny. That part will have to be on you with breeding her.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tunklord Supreme posted:

OK it'll be a pain in the rear end but you can do this. You have to use Island Scan. Tuesday is when Prinplup shows up, on Route 16. You'll have to catch one of them in a Beast Ball, then breed it with a Ditto until you get a female in a Beast Ball.

Then you'll need a male Piplup with Aqua Ring. Breed that with your Beast Ball female, until you get a Piplup with Aqua Ring in a Beast Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Flopsy posted:

*Timidly raises hand*....uh I can breed you a timid drought vulpix but I can't guarantee she'll be shiny. That part will have to be on you with breeding her.

Thank you for the offer friend but I have Timid Drought Vulpixes up the wazoo already; I've just always loved ghostly shiny Ninetales and am just curious about the easiest way to get one. Bulbapedia's kind of obtuse sometimes.