Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Fragmented posted:

Nah. Racism is real everywhere. it's mostly outside the city that you encounter that poo poo. Going to outdoor raves in bumfuck Oregon with an African American girlfriend was enlightening.

I've gotta say, it's to be the same way in alot of the rust belt as well, especially Pittsburgh. You get five minutes by car outside of the city limits, and you're already knee-deep in Trump country. I've been to many places where the urban/suburban/rural splits are much more of a softer blend, but some areas in America have weirdly hard borders, culturally.

You must pay your taxes or you will be audited by the canine IRS-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Central City Concern doesn't really care about criminal background poo poo unless it's Arson/Sex offense or recent assaults etc. Really the way it should be.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

KickerOfMice posted:

I've gotta say, it's to be the same way in alot of the rust belt as well, especially Pittsburgh. You get five minutes by car outside of the city limits, and you're already knee-deep in Trump country. I've been to many places where the urban/suburban/rural splits are much more of a softer blend, but some areas in America have weirdly hard borders, culturally.

You must pay your taxes or you will be audited by the canine IRS-

Coming from Florida, places like Orlando, and especially Miami, mind as well be different states from the way the rest of the state is culturally.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Portland is still the whitest big city in America and suffers from a lot of familiar forms of entrenched structural racism. I'm happy to hear good work is being done in Portland, but it's not exactly a beacon.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

Coming from Florida, places like Orlando, and especially Miami, mind as well be different states from the way the rest of the state is culturally.

I get that. Philly:gritin: and the Burgh couldn't be more different, but just the swiftness where you can go from the blue bubble to MAGA town is startling.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

JawKnee posted:

Yep. But the original sketches are much more in line with the Aid From Padre photo:

Too bad too. It would have been nice if Rockwell could have been capable of making up a "better" scene for "Murder in Mississippi" rather than one taken from a a photograph of a "heroic" white male priest saving a probable POC. Rockwell was kind of limited by that though, and he was also limited by his audience. It's kind of sad to see "Murder in Mississippi" lauded at face value though.

"Aid From Padre" is a great composition and photo. But I wonder how many other photos from that short escapade didn't get acclaim because no white priests were in the hero position.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fragmented posted:

I have to reply to the Portland hate.

I have lived here most of my life(1981-2009 and 2012-now) I work in the capacity of a social worker now and screw you people that are saying Portland is still a racial state/whatever you think. We are more inclusive than any of your states when it comes to programs for drug rehab/criminal justice rehab. etc.

Fight me.

Oh please, Portland is chock full of hypocritical white liberals:

quote:

We were driving into our northeast neighborhood, a part of town called Albina, that for a long time has been central to Portland's black community. Although northeast Portland has more African Americans than other sections of the city, they are being pushed out, replaced by white families (like mine) lured by low home prices and central locations. How could I begin to explain the legacy of segregation to my son? How could I explain the complications of our presence as white people in this neighborhood?

Here's liberal, tolerant, white portlanders driving black people out using the regulatory state:

https://twitter.com/BlairStenvick/s...te-supremacy%2F

All the popular restaurants are run by white people stealing recipes and ideas from people of color and immigrants.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

mango sentinel posted:

Portland is still the whitest big city in America and suffers from a lot of familiar forms of entrenched structural racism. I'm happy to hear good work is being done in Portland, but it's not exactly a beacon.

For sure. I just don't like my city being dragged down when i work with a bunch of people trying to fix the endemic racism and inequality, there are people trying to make this city better.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Holy poo poo it’s whiter than my hometown of Omaha. I would not have guessed that.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Otteration posted:

That would be cool and reassuring to the rest of us that don't live there! Have some evidence/anecdotes?

I can give you three examples of ways that Portland and Oregon has helped break down segregation and racial injustice. These aren't perfect things, and they aren't all unique to Oregon, but they are significant, and I think they should be considered. Rather than deal with impressions or anecdotes, I will give concrete examples of laws that contribute to racial justice.

1. Decriminalization of Cannabis. Oregon legalized Cannabis in 2014, but Cannabis for personal consumption had been decriminalized since 1973. Since Cannabis prohibition has traditionally come down harder on minorities, the fact that Oregon was not sending people into the criminal justice system for personal use of Cannabis was a positive. Not to say that the criminal justice system in Oregon was otherwise equal, but at least in this regard, one of the major stupid parts of mass incarceration was left out.

2. By Mail Voting. While the rest of the country has spent the last few years trying to argue over "Voter picture ID" laws that target minorities, and where many states have restrictive laws about voting, and minimal polling places in minority neighborhoods, Oregon has had 20 years of by mail voting. All elections in Oregon are conducted by mail, meaning that voters get to study their ballots at home and mail them in (or drop them off) when convenient. No waiting in line. No overloaded polling places. And this has led to higher turnout rates in OregonMost people agree that higher voting turnout helps minority voters. So Oregon's vote by mail system is an example of minority enfranchisement that other states would be good to imitate.

3. Mass transit and non-automobile oriented neighborhoods. This might seem like less of a minority issue, and the link is less clear, but I think it is important. Although America was racist before Robert Moses, a lot defacto segregation in Post World War II America was caused by suburbanization and white flight. When cities are built around freeways, and the landscape is divided into "inner cities" and exurbs that people only reach by car through gigantic freeways that carve through traditional neighborhoods, there is a lack of community contact, and a lack of empathy, because people from the suburbs only get to see "inner city" minority neighborhoods as onramps and offramps. The fact that the average middle class Portlander probably feels normal about taking mass transit, and that it provides a public experience with people with different backgrounds, isn't something that is true of many US cities, especially small ones Portland's size.
Recently, of course, that has been a double-edged sword, when the Light Rail line that went through North Portland (traditionally Portland's African-American neighborhood) was one of the things that sparked a gigantic wave of gentrification. Like I said, none of these public policy things mean "Portland is perfect", but just that they should be looked at concrete examples of ways Portland (and Oregon) don't share forms of racism that might be stronger in other parts of the country.

So, there are three concrete examples that people can debate. Maybe the effect of them is more or less than I think it is, but they are factually things you can research, so we don't have to depend on the tried-and-true anecdote of "My cousin knows this guy from Portland who..."

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I agree with you? Where do you live?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bobby Digital posted:

Holy poo poo it’s whiter than my hometown of Omaha. I would not have guessed that.

In large part portland is so "liberal" because it's so white. Much like Vermont, if you give white people their own ethnostate it turns out they're real nice to each other.

Fragmented posted:

I agree with you? Where do you live?

A city where white people are a minority, and as a result feel no need to hide their blood and soil discussions behind closed doors.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Bobby Digital posted:

According to Census Data, Portland is slightly less white than Omaha:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/portlandcityoregon,omahacitynebraska/PST045218

I mean, 77.4% versus 78.2%, but still.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Is there a reason you feel the need to pile on Portland here by acting like these aren't problems common in most big cities? Where do you live?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

A city where white people are a minority

[/quote]That sounds loving rad.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 3, 2019

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Fragmented posted:

I have to reply to the Portland hate.

I have lived here most of my life(1981-2009 and 2012-now) I work in the capacity of a social worker now and screw you people that are saying Portland is still a racial state/whatever you think. We are more inclusive than any of your states when it comes to programs for drug rehab/criminal justice rehab. etc.

Fight me.

Welcome to what it's like being from Boston and having people post that picture from the busing riots over and over

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I think that like any other service job that requires the employee to stay up late, there tends to be a fair amount of coke use in the bartending profession. This just comes from personal experience rather than any real data so I'd be glad if I was completely wrong.

I'll remember that next time I visit a 24 hour McDonald's at 3 in the morn...Wait, you meant coke the drug, right?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Otteration posted:

Too bad too. It would have been nice if Rockwell could have been capable of making up a "better" scene for "Murder in Mississippi" rather than one taken from a a photograph of a "heroic" white male priest saving a probable POC. Rockwell was kind of limited by that though, and he was also limited by his audience. It's kind of sad to see "Murder in Mississippi" lauded at face value though.

"Aid From Padre" is a great composition and photo. But I wonder how many other photos from that short escapade didn't get acclaim because no white priests were in the hero position.

You do know that Aid From Padre was shot in Venezuela, right?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

I'll remember that next time I visit a 24 hour McDonald's at 3 in the morn...Wait, you meant coke the drug, right?

You only get coked up in expensive kitchens. McDonalds is probably mostly meth. :v:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Oh man, let this be a trip to the Hague when he gets dethroned, please please please!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I want to love something as much as these ducks like peas.

https://twitter.com/jonrosenberg/status/1102025792102584321

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

VH4Ever posted:

Is there a reason you feel the need to pile on Portland here by acting like these aren't problems common in most big cities? Where do you live?

Because people like hot takes. And people like to show they are too cool to be fooled by something that people like. "What if I told you that liberal, progressive Portland...is actually racist? Did I just blow your mind?"

Portland never asked to be some poster child for twee hipsters. Portlanders never claimed to be perfect. But suddenly, Portland becomes a trendy place, and people have to find reasons why its really not that great. It is the equivalent of saying "The Beatles are overrated".

Portland isn't a model for the rest of the country. Portland can't solve the rest of the country's problems.

Except in these four ways:

1. Vote by Mail
2. Legalize Cannabis
3. Mass Transit
4. Renewable Energy

Oh, and a bottle deposit bill.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

glowing-fish posted:

I can give you three examples of ways that Portland and Oregon has helped break down segregation and racial injustice. These aren't perfect things, and they aren't all unique to Oregon, but they are significant, and I think they should be considered. Rather than deal with impressions or anecdotes, I will give concrete examples of laws that contribute to racial justice.

1. Decriminalization of Cannabis. Oregon legalized Cannabis in 2014, but Cannabis for personal consumption had been decriminalized since 1973. Since Cannabis prohibition has traditionally come down harder on minorities, the fact that Oregon was not sending people into the criminal justice system for personal use of Cannabis was a positive. Not to say that the criminal justice system in Oregon was otherwise equal, but at least in this regard, one of the major stupid parts of mass incarceration was left out.

2. By Mail Voting. While the rest of the country has spent the last few years trying to argue over "Voter picture ID" laws that target minorities, and where many states have restrictive laws about voting, and minimal polling places in minority neighborhoods, Oregon has had 20 years of by mail voting. All elections in Oregon are conducted by mail, meaning that voters get to study their ballots at home and mail them in (or drop them off) when convenient. No waiting in line. No overloaded polling places. And this has led to higher turnout rates in OregonMost people agree that higher voting turnout helps minority voters. So Oregon's vote by mail system is an example of minority enfranchisement that other states would be good to imitate.

3. Mass transit and non-automobile oriented neighborhoods. This might seem like less of a minority issue, and the link is less clear, but I think it is important. Although America was racist before Robert Moses, a lot defacto segregation in Post World War II America was caused by suburbanization and white flight. When cities are built around freeways, and the landscape is divided into "inner cities" and exurbs that people only reach by car through gigantic freeways that carve through traditional neighborhoods, there is a lack of community contact, and a lack of empathy, because people from the suburbs only get to see "inner city" minority neighborhoods as onramps and offramps. The fact that the average middle class Portlander probably feels normal about taking mass transit, and that it provides a public experience with people with different backgrounds, isn't something that is true of many US cities, especially small ones Portland's size.
Recently, of course, that has been a double-edged sword, when the Light Rail line that went through North Portland (traditionally Portland's African-American neighborhood) was one of the things that sparked a gigantic wave of gentrification. Like I said, none of these public policy things mean "Portland is perfect", but just that they should be looked at concrete examples of ways Portland (and Oregon) don't share forms of racism that might be stronger in other parts of the country.

So, there are three concrete examples that people can debate. Maybe the effect of them is more or less than I think it is, but they are factually things you can research, so we don't have to depend on the tried-and-true anecdote of "My cousin knows this guy from Portland who..."

These things may have the effect of reducing racial injustice but it seems pretty weak to put forward as things Oregon has done to reduce racial injustice when none of them are specifically adressing it. When you say these are the things Oregon has done to reduce racial injustice it kind of seems like the mostly white state is doing stuff the white people want that also happens to positively affect the people of color. And then while there are still massive issues like everywhere (I'm in San Francisco and it's hardly perfect here), you are pointing to these things and sayin "look we care" instead of actual policies that specifically address it. I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Bobby Digital posted:

Oregon was founded as a white ethnostate. For a time the only black people allowed worked as porters on the railroad. Portland is pretty progressive but the rural areas and smaller cities are a little chuddier.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

KickerOfMice posted:

You only get coked up in expensive kitchens. McDonalds is probably mostly meth. :v:

God, imagine a Trump kitchen. "The Russian roulette tournaments are intense. Everyone gets coked up and squeeze the trigger as fast as a machine gun fires to get out of the contract that ties them there....someday they'll remember to load the bullets first."

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

God, imagine a Trump kitchen. "The Russian roulette tournaments are intense. Everyone gets coked up and squeeze the trigger as fast as a machine gun fires to get out of the contract that ties them there....someday they'll remember to load the bullets first."

Don't get me started on Trump and food again, or I'll have an explosive breakout shaming yours earlier. Tenfold.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

The Super-Id posted:

These things may have the effect of reducing racial injustice but it seems pretty weak to put forward as things Oregon has done to reduce racial injustice when none of them are specifically adressing it. When you say these are the things Oregon has done to reduce racial injustice it kind of seems like the mostly white state is doing stuff the white people want that also happens to positively affect the people of color. And then while there are still massive issues like everywhere (I'm in San Francisco and it's hardly perfect here), you are pointing to these things and sayin "look we care" instead of actual policies that specifically address it. I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Well, I think with mass incarceration and voter disenfranchisement, those are both things that impact minority communities disproportionately. Sure, vote-by-mail is great for everyone, and Oregonians across the political spectrum support it, but it also does specifically address the problem of voter disenfranchisement.

Like, the complaint here is that Portland only helped minority communities while doing things that were otherwise good? I don't really know how to parse that argument.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

glowing-fish posted:

According to Census Data, Portland is slightly less white than Omaha:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/portlandcityoregon,omahacitynebraska/PST045218

I mean, 77.4% versus 78.2%, but still.

Yay Omaha!

https://statisticalatlas.com/place/Nebraska/Omaha/Race-and-Ethnicity

Midwesterners are polite, but quiet "compartilization" is a thing.

Source: here, close, now.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Yiggy posted:

Oregon was founded as a white ethnostate.

Super Mario Bros 2 was actually an adaptation of another game, called Doki Doki Panic

Did you know that?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The Super-Id posted:

Wait, wait, wait, wait......you are calling Portland out for "not doing enough" for racial issues and you live in San Francisco? Are you loving serious right now? The city who is probably the most notorious offender at racially unbalanced gentrification, who charges Oakland residents an entry fee on the bridge into town? This is some pretty loving naked gaslighting going on right here, holy hypocritical horseshit.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

glowing-fish posted:

Because people like hot takes. And people like to show they are too cool to be fooled by something that people like. "What if I told you that liberal, progressive Portland...is actually racist? Did I just blow your mind?"

Portland never asked to be some poster child for twee hipsters. Portlanders never claimed to be perfect. But suddenly, Portland becomes a trendy place, and people have to find reasons why its really not that great. It is the equivalent of saying "The Beatles are overrated".

Portland isn't a model for the rest of the country. Portland can't solve the rest of the country's problems.

Except in these four ways:

1. Vote by Mail
2. Legalize Cannabis
3. Mass Transit
4. Renewable Energy

Oh, and a bottle deposit bill.

My city doesn't have problems with 1 and 2 and our approach to Nazis is thus:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Where is Koalas March? I want to know her thoughts on Terry Crews recent diatribe on Twitter.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Otteration posted:

Yay Omaha!

https://statisticalatlas.com/place/Nebraska/Omaha/Race-and-Ethnicity

Midwesterners are polite, but quiet "compartilization" is a thing.

Source: here, close, now.

The US Census seems to give different statistical information? I don't know how to reconcile these two sources of information.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

glowing-fish posted:

1. Vote by Mail
2. Legalize Cannabis
3. Mass Transit
4. Renewable Energy

Chicago has all of the above and is still one of the most brutally segregated and racist cities in America.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

VH4Ever posted:

Wait, wait, wait, wait......you are calling Portland out for "not doing enough" for racial issues and you live in San Francisco? Are you loving serious right now? The city who is probably the most notorious offender at racially unbalanced gentrification, who charges Oakland residents an entry fee on the bridge into town? This is some pretty loving naked gaslighting going on right here, holy hypocritical horseshit.

No I am not doing this at all. I am saying that putting forward legalizing weed, public transportation, and vote by mail as things that are being done to address racial injustice seems to me like it minimizes the seriousness of racial injustice. I think people here are responding to stories of hate crimes out of Oregon, I am not saying its a problem unique to Oregon, or that it's even particularly bad there, but I am saying that I don't think those policies are really doing much to address it. I only brought up San Francisco because it has a progressive image but still has a lot of problems, just like Portland.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Okay, and so here is my subjective take on how growing up in the Pacific Northwest shaped my views on race:

Growing up, from a child until my 20s, whenever I saw a social problem, either in person, or on the news, it was probably represented by people who looked "just like me". The criminals, both on the news, and in my town, were white. When I was a child and I became aware of drug use and drug addiction, it was white people, who looked just like me. Like, especially when it was the police arresting my father, but that is another story. The bars with bad characters? The pawn shops? The falling down houses with neglected children? I mean, for that matter, in my all-white elementary school, my neglected friends? All of these things were problems that I learned about, not as things that inflicted "those people", not as things that happened "if you got off at the wrong exit", but as things that happened to "Us". I never got to otherize problems and pretend they weren't real or didn't touch people like me.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

glowing-fish posted:

Okay, and so here is my subjective take on how growing up in the Pacific Northwest shaped my views on race:

Growing up, from a child until my 20s, whenever I saw a social problem, either in person, or on the news, it was probably represented by people who looked "just like me". The criminals, both on the news, and in my town, were white. When I was a child and I became aware of drug use and drug addiction, it was white people, who looked just like me. Like, especially when it was the police arresting my father, but that is another story. The bars with bad characters? The pawn shops? The falling down houses with neglected children? I mean, for that matter, in my all-white elementary school, my neglected friends? All of these things were problems that I learned about, not as things that inflicted "those people", not as things that happened "if you got off at the wrong exit", but as things that happened to "Us". I never got to otherize problems and pretend they weren't real or didn't touch people like me.

:chloe:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

What about the mountains though

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The Super-Id posted:

No I am not doing this at all. I am saying that putting forward legalizing weed, public transportation, and vote by mail as things that are being done to address racial injustice seems to me like it minimizes the seriousness of racial injustice. I think people here are responding to stories of hate crimes out of Oregon, I am not saying its a problem unique to Oregon, or that it's even particularly bad there, but I am saying that I don't think those policies are really doing much to address it. I only brought up San Francisco because it has a progressive image but still has a lot of problems, just like Portland.

I guess I would caution anyone trying to act as if their city of someone else's is better or worse or whatever would keep in mind that ALL big cities have along record of redlining and racism to reckon with, and all need to be constantly and visibly dealing with it, no matter how "progressive" they supposedly are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Chicago has all of the above and is still one of the most brutally segregated and racist cities in America.

Chicago doesn't have universal vote by mail.
Chicago has decriminalized cannabis, but only in 2016.
Chicago does have a lot of mass transit.
Illinois generates most of its power through fossil fuels, and has no appreciable hydroelectric production.