Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1101423944458952704

New Original anime by Studio Nexus (Comic Girls, Chivalry of a Failed Knight), entitled Granblem.

Director: Masaharu Watanabe (Re;Zero, Wakaba Girl)
Writer: Jukki Hanada (A Place Further than the Universe, Euphonium, Love Live)
Character Design: Shinichirou Otsuka (Illustrator for the original Re;Zero novels)

Cast:

Mitsuki Kohinata
Character Voice: Miyuki Shimabukuro (I can't find any previous roles of hers, and she looks young, so she's probably a new VA)

Fukami Ernesta Shingetsu
Character Voice: Atsumi Tanezaki (Mizore in Euphonium/Liz and the Blue Bird, Rio in Bunny Girl Senpai)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm having a tough time discerning even genre from that, so idk if I'm hyped or not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm having a tough time discerning even genre from that, so idk if I'm hyped or not
I mean it's not airing for a few months, so we'll probably get more details as time goes on. The lead staff are exciting if nothing else.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The tiny pony tail look rules so I’m in

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Trailer and character designs seem to suggest some sort of isekai adventure with two female leads.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Jukki Hanada has impressed me repeatedly, so hyped for this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Jukki Hanada has impressed me repeatedly, so hyped for this.

Even without the fact that this is an original work by the Place Further Than The Universe writer (!), the basic bare-bones pitch is encouraging - an isekai with two leads and a trailer showcasing some really fancy scenery suggests we might be in for a proper old-school Escaflowne/Rayearth-style adventure rather than the modern sort of bland/creepy power-fantasy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A lot of the tone of Antarctica was set by the director, who was very strict about what sort of tone she wanted, but Hanada's impressed in other places and it's not like he had zero input on Universe, the idea was something he and Ishizuka developed together. So, yeah, having him on board is a good sign. And regardless of opinions on Re;Zero, it's a really well-directed show, especially considering that it was only Watanabe's second time directing. And I've always liked Otsuka's designs, they have a pleasing sense of color. Not too bright and saccharine, but still very distinct?

Curious if 'from the re;zero team' means other lower level staff from Re;Zero have been brought over, too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Granbelm: A Place In Another Universe

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't know who best to assign credit to the email scene in Sorayori so I'll split the difference and say both were essential for pulling that off.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

cogs spotted, it's steampunk

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Promised Neverland has been intense the last couple of episodes

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I assume this means Re:Zero S2 is even further away at this point if ever

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

No idea what the project is about, but Sally is cool so I'm tentatively interested

https://twitter.com/sally_amaki/status/1101372806808272896?s=19

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Important News: two, that's right two episodes of Hulaing Babies have dropped and the next one has aired!!!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a kitten posted:

No idea what the project is about, but Sally is cool so I'm tentatively interested

The level of hat game going on there is a strong opening move.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1101423944458952704

New Original anime by Studio Nexus (Comic Girls, Chivalry of a Failed Knight), entitled Granblem.

Director: Masaharu Watanabe (Re;Zero, Wakaba Girl)
Writer: Jukki Hanada (A Place Further than the Universe, Euphonium, Love Live)
Character Design: Shinichirou Otsuka (Illustrator for the original Re;Zero novels)

Cast:

Mitsuki Kohinata
Character Voice: Miyuki Shimabukuro (I can't find any previous roles of hers, and she looks young, so she's probably a new VA)

Fukami Ernesta Shingetsu
Character Voice: Atsumi Tanezaki (Mizore in Euphonium/Liz and the Blue Bird, Rio in Bunny Girl Senpai)

I’m intrigued

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a kitten posted:

She played the French lady in Kaguya-sama, right? :3:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I'm still liking Boogiepop a lot! The first ep of the at Dawn arc was phenomenally directed and the show still manages to make me feel for these muted but sincere kids just trying to worry about and reach out to each other in a weird random harsh world that abuses and manipulates them. It's fun watching it come together, much moreso for me than Phantom, which I got five eps into so far and...I dunno. Phantom seems to speak from a much harsher, judgier, for lack of a better word, perspective, and I can't tell if that's on the adaptation or the material, but Others just feels like it comes from a more empathetic place. The emotions the kids feel seem closer to the core of the narrative or maybe they just feel framed in a more senstive light.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Surprised there isn't a Domestic na Kanojo thread

It's probably too trashy to warrant one?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Be the change etc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my boogiepop take is that i didn't enjoy the imaginator arc despite being a defender of the show. it was told in a more straightforward way and vastly expanded the scope of the story compared to the first arc, debatably Dawn as well. it kinda felt bloated and became a bit boring to me as it went on. it was also like, after a point the message of it all was getting bogged down by all the plotlines and having these multiple parties investigating/jockeying with each other using all different supernatural bs. the Anou episode/storyline felt like the most concise and affecting example of the arc's themes about societal "brainwashing" but is rolled over in the very beginning of the arc. it does also bug me that i just don't get the purpose of the imaginator or their goals, and how it relates to suiko, but that's in the fuzzy realm of plot details that don't necessarily matter. i do wonder if my gradual fatigue with the arc lead to missing something important.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Beasteh posted:

I assume this means Re:Zero S2 is even further away at this point if ever
Nope. IIRC it's the animation/art crew working on this series. White Fox still has plans for a new season after the 2nd OVA's filming.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Beasteh posted:

Surprised there isn't a Domestic na Kanojo thread

It's probably too trashy to warrant one?

Most of the people on these forums don't tend to really talk about/make threads for these kinds of shows that we'll call, uh, dramatical soap-opera-y high school bullshit. Scum's Wish, Kings Game the Animation, Evil or Live-even stuff like Happy Sugar Life, tend to only garner niche attention.

But if you want to make a thread, I'd highly encourage it! I'd even pin it in the OP.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Julias posted:

Most of the people on these forums don't tend to really talk about/make threads for these kinds of shows that we'll call, uh, dramatical soap-opera-y high school bullshit. Scum's Wish, Kings Game the Animation, Evil or Live-even stuff like Happy Sugar Life, tend to only garner niche attention.

But if you want to make a thread, I'd highly encourage it! I'd even pin it in the OP.

man don't throw scum's wish in there with those

domestic kanojo sure but kings game or evil or live? harsh

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Basically the fast food of anime

You know it's garbage but you can't stop watching

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't even mean that they're necessarily bad shows -just that the sort of drama that they aim for is often not to the tastes of people on these forums, whether in part due to how puritan parts of SA have been over the years, or just the vocal majority of ADTRW posters not enjoying or having much to say on those kinds of shows.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Telenovelas are my childhood's guilty pleasure, so I think that's why I can sorta enjoy/weather "soapy" anime without much problem.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

adtrw fears gently caress

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Beasteh posted:

Basically the fast food of anime

You know it's garbage but you can't stop watching

i mean i wouldn't say scum's wish was that i thought it was quite well directed and with a good story. like yeah it was melodramatic but that was kind of the point

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A friend tried to sell me on domestic girlfriend by comparing it to scums wish so I'd probably like domestic girlfriend I guess

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I have heard good things about both but unfortunately as far as I know there are neither swords nor robots in either so I will leave them to the pros

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Something Awful is Puritan?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

adtrw fears gently caress

untrue, I’m skipping the tv airing but I’ll gladly watch the domekano ova where they gently caress

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Something Awful is Puritan?

"Puritan" might be overstating it, but Zorak-era ADTRW was generally uncomfortable with discussion of sexual stuff in general (not entirely without reason, to be clear).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you're enjoying a thing and want to talk about it a lot, make a thread.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Davincie posted:

chihayafuru got delayed to october

BUT I JUST FINISHED RE-WATCHING THE FIRST TWO SEASONS

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Splode posted:

BUT I JUST FINISHED RE-WATCHING THE FIRST TWO SEASONS

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Now I have time to do just that.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

"Puritan" might be overstating it, but Zorak-era ADTRW was generally uncomfortable with discussion of sexual stuff in general (not entirely without reason, to be clear).

The only thing I remember from that era was that even mentioning Oreimo was verbotten (don't ban me Wark). Are there some other examples which spring to mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That was never true.