Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Provided of course that he doesnt have someone to take over his strips when hes gone, a la Bil and Jeff Keane.

Like his daughter he likely forces into costume for cons. I've seen her once, she didn't look the most comfortable.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-TOon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Reading this comic hurts me in a way no other comic does.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You're a terrible person people don't like talking to

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
loving bold for Zippy to call out someone else for not having anything to say.

Jamal

BCN

BC

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
So.

Because of this thread, I went back and read the storyline where Bruno the wolf comes out as trans-diet. It's... Not good.

And I thought: why suffer alone? :unsmigghh:

Kevin and Kell Bruno the herbivore wolf
Part the first: the origin, and coming out
(With many horrible asides)

We are introduced to this story via a gag about identity theft, i.e.: a snake shredding the skin they shed. Which leads to them discussing why Bruno still wears a sheepskin. (He was originally wearing his sheep girlfriend, Corrie, as a sheepskin, to hide her, because he didn't want her to get killed and eaten. Then Corrie started living on her own, but Bruno kept wearing a sheepskin - a fake sheepskin, actually, it was a rug with some of Corrie's wool sewn into it.)

And this is when we discover Bruno's secret:

He literally hides in a closet to eat. Holbrook isn't subtle. But how did Bruno start eating grass in the first place?

(The thing they're referencing is when Corrie, who was masquerading as a wolf named Dale, helped her friend Fiona - a fennec fox - disguise herself as a sheep because Fiona thought her boyfriend Rudy liked sheep and wanted to find out. Then Corrie and Fiona got attacked in the street by a cougar and when Corrie saw Fiona in danger "instinct took over" and she killed and ate the cougar, but got injured in the process, got taken to a hospital and everyone found out the wolf Dale was actually the sheep Corrie. But everyone was fine with it.)

Bruno is still on the school hunting team, by the way. Where they kill and eat sentient beings for sport. You know, the usual stuff. I'm actually surprised Holbrook didn't get a Most Dangerous Game type storyline out of this.

Moving on! Bruno agonises for a bit whether / how to come out. I'm skipping some strips here, but I wanted to post this one:

Trans people losing access to healthcare and social security is a real concern even now, and was much more so in 2003. And Holbrook spun it into a joke.

This is actually a bit touching: a girlfriend helping her trans significant other feel more confident in their skin. But then Bruno gets found out.

Again: they're literally finding him hiding in the closet. Subtle! Bruno takes the chance to come out properly to his closest friends. It doesn't go over well with Rudy.

(This, by the way, is all we ever see in the comic of Bruno's parents.)
Bruno chases Rudy and they have a brief talk, which doesn't go over well (again).

This, again, is somewhat galling. Holbrook seemingly can't go even for a little bit without making it into a joke. He's a wolf! And he eats plants! How wild is that? Sure, some of this could be ascribed to the strip-a-day medium, but not everything has to be a gag.

Bruno gets more-or-less kicked out of school because his classmates are uncomfortable with him. (And also he quits the hunting team, but let's set this aside for a while. We'll come back to this, oh yes.) But fortunately, Kevin is here to help!

Also: Rudy retreats into toxic masculinity meat-eating.

While studying Kevin asks Bruno what his parents think about all this, and Bruno replies they didn't even notice. Aw. Then Bruno goes foraging for his herbovore homework, and runs into Rudy moping in a playground.

They have a verbal fight which quickly escalates into a physical fight, because of Bruno accusing Rudy of being close-minded, about this and also about interracial relationships (Bruno and Corrie had to hide their relationship for years because they knew it would upset Rudy, and also it took Rudy years to accept Kevin as his stepdad. Rudy is kind of a bigot and a jerk, wow.) The fight ends when they knock each other out over a significant flashback.

Fiona and Corrie show up, and cart them away to the hospital. Bruno had all his teeth knocked out by Rudy (yikes), and takes this chance to have them all replaced by herbivore teeth; since he no longer has fangs, his classmates are no longer scared of him, and he's readmitted to school. It's all fine! (If only it were so simple in real life...)

Rudy meets with Bruno again and they apologise to each other. And good news! The whole hunting team want Bruno to come back to the team!

The end? Ha ha ha ha ha no. This'll do for now, but we have such sights to show you :kheldragar:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Are we not supposed to do this?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Oh, so that's how quadrupeds wear pants. :ms:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

duz posted:

Oh, so that's how quadrupeds wear pants. :ms:
Lookin' like a fool.

Also oh no Deep Holbrook Lore. Godspeed Miki.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mikl posted:

So.

Because of this thread, I went back and read the storyline where Bruno the wolf comes out as trans-diet. It's... Not good.
Jesus Christ...

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The world of Kevin and Kell is this nightmare dystopia, and I see what Holbrook's trying to do - write a "sapient animals" story in which predators both eat prey animals and aren't evil for doing so - but he's just utterly failed to resolve the contradictions inherent in that approach, so instead it comes off as a horrifying charnel-society in which one class of people is routinely legally murdered while everyone laughs and jokes about it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I try not to think about it because if you give it more than 5 seconds thought, you are thinking more than Holbrook ever did.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
More Kevin & Kell coming up!

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar THe Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I try not to think about it because if you give it more than 5 seconds thought, you are thinking more than Holbrook ever did.
Holbrook: Bears eat veggies and meat. Bears are omnivores. Therefor bears can be both herbivores or carnivores! Meanwhile this DCAB individual wants to become a herbivore so he wears a sheep skin and wants horns and eats hay in the closet.
Me: So bears are nonbinary/agender/queer/genderfluid.
Holbrook: No they're omnivores.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cerebral Bore posted:

All corporate lingo is made-up bullshit though, so is there really that much of a difference?
I'm supposed to come up with several questions for a rep by a meeting Friday about how to "integrate their product into our workflow" and while I understand what all that means I have no idea what questions I can ask about it, or at least what I can come up with in advance of an actual conversation. So far I have only come up with one: "Can you tell us some ways we can integrate your product into our workflow?"

At least I have a week to do it. I'll come up with some bullshit.

F Minus

Macanudo

Katamari?

Mark Trail

Hahaha! Just soak it in, folks! Soak it in!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Sunday: Buses!

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

This is what's known as a manic episode, right?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I hope Mark Trail never comes back to his own strip and we follow these dumbass villains forever.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Leaving aside the DNA thing...how would it be a mystery to assemble? It's a ladder.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'd say thanks for the Kevin n' Kell effortpost except :yikes:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mr. Maltose posted:

I hope Mark Trail never comes back to his own strip and we follow these dumbass villains forever.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

I'm supposed to come up with several questions for a rep by a meeting Friday about how to "integrate their product into our workflow" and while I understand what all that means I have no idea what questions I can ask about it, or at least what I can come up with in advance of an actual conversation. So far I have only come up with one: "Can you tell us some ways we can integrate your product into our workflow?"

At least I have a week to do it. I'll come up with some bullshit.

Just ask the rep to discuss the product's scalability to your various business scenarios, and whether there are customizable aspects to suit your range of uses and applications, and then ask for a full description of the tech support that will be available to your company's personnel on a rapid response basis and the measures they use to gauge their own technical response performance. Also ask to see the relevant parts of the vendor's org chart. That should keep the rep busy for a good long while.

:colbert:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sorry, this isn't another K&K effortpost, it's a bit too early for that. But clicking through strips looking up material, I found this one which I just had to share.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TofuDiva posted:

Just ask the rep to discuss the product's scalability to your various business scenarios, and whether there are customizable aspects to suit your range of uses and applications, and then ask for a full description of the tech support that will be available to your company's personnel on a rapid response basis and the measures they use to gauge their own technical response performance. Also ask to see the relevant parts of the vendor's org chart. That should keep the rep busy for a good long while.

:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

all of holbrook's comics actually rule because they all work on an insane logic that only exists to facilitate whatever mild wry punchline he came up with for that day. why bother trying to think about it any deeper than that when he clearly hasn't

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kennel posted:

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

The dud!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
is gilchrist dead or in jail yet?

(edited. was kind of tastelessly hyperbolic)

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 2, 2019

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I mostly glance over luann but I hate that their dating site site is called "Date-pic" so much

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hostile V posted:

Holbrook: Bears eat veggies and meat. Bears are omnivores. Therefor bears can be both herbivores or carnivores! Meanwhile this DCAB individual wants to become a herbivore so he wears a sheep skin and wants horns and eats hay in the closet.
Me: So bears are nonbinary/agender/queer/genderfluid.
Holbrook: No they're omnivores.

This is pretty much it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

rannum posted:

I mostly glance over luann but I hate that their dating site site is called "Date-pic" so much

I think it would have been clever if they called it "Cinder"

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think it would have been clever if they called it "Cinder"

Hence why it's called date-pic.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just a couple of strips from February 22nd I noticed in a paper at work.

Diamond Lil

Hi and Lois

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The dude making Hi and Lois hasn't seen a teenager since 1977.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teens don't like REO Speedwagon?

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

King Aroo 11/3/52

Mopsy 9/2/41

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Endless Mike posted:

Teens don't like REO Speedwagon?

Probably not, although some of my students wear AC/DC, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and other old rear end band shirts.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Wash Tubbs (August 8, 1930)

Barney Google (September 7, 1923)

Alley Oop (December 7, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (December 3, 1935)

Dickie Dare (January 16, 1934)

Bringing Up Father (May 18, 1940)

Krazy Kat (May 16, 1936)

Polly and Her Pals (May 18, 1937)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 9/2/41

:drat:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

1977 Spiderman

Completely unrelated bonus: The baffling new slang used by those wacky 1977 teens.

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

If you're dying for more of these Oz cartoons(or just to be able to read the text without a microscope), there's a collection of them here.

Mikl posted:

So.

And I thought: why suffer alone? :unsmigghh:

Kevin and Kell Bruno the herbivore wolf
Part the first: the origin, and coming out
(With many horrible asides)

We are introduced to this story via a gag about identity theft, i.e.: a snake shredding the skin they shed. Which leads to them discussing why Bruno still wears a sheepskin. (He was originally wearing his sheep girlfriend, Corrie, as a sheepskin, to hide her, because he didn't want her to get killed and eaten. Then Corrie started living on her own, but Bruno kept wearing a sheepskin - a fake sheepskin, actually, it was a rug with some of Corrie's wool sewn into it.)

And this is when we discover Bruno's secret:

He literally hides in a closet to eat. Holbrook isn't subtle. But how did Bruno start eating grass in the first place?

(The thing they're referencing is when Corrie, who was masquerading as a wolf named Dale, helped her friend Fiona - a fennec fox - disguise herself as a sheep because Fiona thought her boyfriend Rudy liked sheep and wanted to find out. Then Corrie and Fiona got attacked in the street by a cougar and when Corrie saw Fiona in danger "instinct took over" and she killed and ate the cougar, but got injured in the process, got taken to a hospital and everyone found out the wolf Dale was actually the sheep Corrie. But everyone was fine with it.)

Bruno is still on the school hunting team, by the way. Where they kill and eat sentient beings for sport. You know, the usual stuff. I'm actually surprised Holbrook didn't get a Most Dangerous Game type storyline out of this.

Moving on! Bruno agonises for a bit whether / how to come out. I'm skipping some strips here, but I wanted to post this one:

Trans people losing access to healthcare and social security is a real concern even now, and was much more so in 2003. And Holbrook spun it into a joke.

This is actually a bit touching: a girlfriend helping her trans significant other feel more confident in their skin. But then Bruno gets found out.

Again: they're literally finding him hiding in the closet. Subtle! Bruno takes the chance to come out properly to his closest friends. It doesn't go over well with Rudy.

(This, by the way, is all we ever see in the comic of Bruno's parents.)
Bruno chases Rudy and they have a brief talk, which doesn't go over well (again).

This, again, is somewhat galling. Holbrook seemingly can't go even for a little bit without making it into a joke. He's a wolf! And he eats plants! How wild is that? Sure, some of this could be ascribed to the strip-a-day medium, but not everything has to be a gag.

Bruno gets more-or-less kicked out of school because his classmates are uncomfortable with him. (And also he quits the hunting team, but let's set this aside for a while. We'll come back to this, oh yes.) But fortunately, Kevin is here to help!

Also: Rudy retreats into toxic masculinity meat-eating.

While studying Kevin asks Bruno what his parents think about all this, and Bruno replies they didn't even notice. Aw. Then Bruno goes foraging for his herbovore homework, and runs into Rudy moping in a playground.

They have a verbal fight which quickly escalates into a physical fight, because of Bruno accusing Rudy of being close-minded, about this and also about interracial relationships (Bruno and Corrie had to hide their relationship for years because they knew it would upset Rudy, and also it took Rudy years to accept Kevin as his stepdad. Rudy is kind of a bigot and a jerk, wow.) The fight ends when they knock each other out over a significant flashback.

Fiona and Corrie show up, and cart them away to the hospital. Bruno had all his teeth knocked out by Rudy (yikes), and takes this chance to have them all replaced by herbivore teeth; since he no longer has fangs, his classmates are no longer scared of him, and he's readmitted to school. It's all fine! (If only it were so simple in real life...)

Rudy meets with Bruno again and they apologise to each other. And good news! The whole hunting team want Bruno to come back to the team!

The end? Ha ha ha ha ha no. This'll do for now, but we have such sights to show you :kheldragar:
Thanks, I hate it. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (October 10, 1931)

Peanuts (March 3-4, 1972)

Les Moore Makes Shopping For Clothes Infuriating

Cardiacarrestshaft

Meanwhile, at 9 Chickweed Lane, there was an old fogey all covered with snow who might lose his lover for courting too slow.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 3-4, 1972)

Sorry to cut this short, but it's a little late. Ducks and boyzendorgs will be back on Monday.