Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Y’all are gonna loving love this chapter

I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/300/5695/1?mobile=1

Did y’all enjoy Food Aizen? Get ready for Food Kaguya

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Wow, so is this another final boss or something?

Like...okay? I guess this is better than the creepy win Erina or something? I think?

Can they just end this manga already?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Didn't we have enough going on already

So what, I guess Souma will finally win over Erina by helping her own both her lovely parents

This is a weird romance

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oy vey. :cripes:

Did not expect this turn of events but goddamn, can we at least streamline this? Please?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Clearly the problem with the main villain was that it was a man. What if it was a woman instead? Surely that will draw in readers!

Also, Alice not being here makes it even more galling because holy poo poo do I want to see her (and her Mom's) reaction to Erina's mother. They'd also actually have useful and interesting insight and not just essentially be a mob character.

This just make me want to reread a good cooking manga with ridiculous poo poo like Hell's Kitchen (https://read.egscans.com/Hells_Kitchen) where despite there being literal demons in the setting, everyone basically has "normal" cooking abilities for a good portion of the series.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What's hilarious is that in Hell's Kitchen not even the literal demon uses magic or superpowers to cook, much less the students.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

pnumoman posted:

Wow, so is this another final boss or something?

Like...okay? I guess this is better than the creepy win Erina or something? I think?

Can they just end this manga already?

I am fairly sure this bullshit is locked in as happening, this chapter was peppered with excuses for why she’s going to job to Asahi after 8 continuous rounds.

gently caress this manga.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So guys... Who is going to take this manga to the back of the shed and shoot it?
Clearly it's in pain and suffering and letting it go on would be cruel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mulderman posted:

So guys... Who is going to take this manga to the back of the shed and shoot it?
Clearly it's in pain and suffering and letting it go on would be cruel.

Tsukuda’s working on it but a with a B.B. gun it’ll take a while.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Watch the reason Erina's mum is a villain be something super dumb.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Watch the reason Erina's mum is a villain be something super dumb.

I’ve heard “she’s actually super tilted about the throwaway gag where baby Erina said her breast milk didn’t have enough depth of flavour” get floated and hell, I actually hope that’s the reason

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’ve heard “she’s actually super tilted about the throwaway gag where baby Erina said her breast milk didn’t have enough depth of flavour” get floated and hell, I actually hope that’s the reason

Oh god I agree. This manga has always been dumb, but I sorely miss the time it was fun dumb. Now it's just stupid dumb.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Oh god I agree. This manga has always been dumb, but I sorely miss the time it was fun dumb. Now it's just stupid dumb.

Honestly I wouldn’t even call like the first 115 chapters after around chapter 20 dumb.

It was fun more than anything and it could have a lot of heart(and sometimes do sensible things) when it wanted to

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

What's hilarious is that in Hell's Kitchen not even the literal demon uses magic or superpowers to cook, much less the students.

It's really when they get to the Science Department, iirc, where things go really off the wall and it's more a matter of magical handwaving via technobabble than actual superhuman powers and when it gets into the magic, it's not at all part of the cooking. It's a shame it got canceled because there was definitely a lot of potential in the series if not for the fact that it was probably losing a bit of steam or popularity since halfway though its run, Shokugeki no Souma premiered.

Of course, the author of Hell's Kitchen also started up a second manga about a year after called Nobunaga no Chef and that's been running since it premiered in 2011.

Edit: There's a lot of ways it could go, but frankly the window for any sort of good build up was long closed. If there was a sort of a "Heir to the Nakiri Family" subplot going on that started up around the time of Azami, suddenly Erina's mom trying to amass her own talent to try and take over would have been a logical extension of that subplot. Instead, atm it's just loving nothing or who gives a poo poo. The amount of telegraphing was pretty much zero at this point as far as I can tell.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 22, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I realize every other post I make about this series is just complaining now but honestly who is this series even for anymore

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I'm laughing sometimes, so I guess the answer is sunk cost readers who can laugh as it dies

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thank god I bailed from Bleach after what was covered by the anime finished. This is kinda starting to remind me of Bleach a little bit.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The series isn't as good as it used to be, I wish it was more about the rivalries than these big bads (those few pages of Soma VS Takumi were better than most of the Azami arc) but it doesn't actively upset me or anything and I definitely don't feel the need to call for its execution every seven days.

There's never been much of (any of?) a story in this show, it's food, tits, and abs on parade. I'm in it for the cheesecakes and the cheesecake and it delivers that well enough on those even if the plot happening around them can be dumb. There's low points but as long as we get a lovingly detailed shot of some food or another followed by an equally lovingly drawn naked man or woman talking about how the grated cheese hidden in the crust or whatever changed their life every few weeks I'm fine throwing a few minutes of my time at it.

bleach upset me because it pretended to be something more than it was

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
not to mention as dumb as the plot is here it's still moving bleach was all stalling and battles that didn't matter

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The series isn't as good as it used to be, I wish it was more about the rivalries than these big bads (those few pages of Soma VS Takumi were better than most of the Azami arc) but it doesn't actively upset me or anything and I definitely don't feel the need to call for its execution every seven days.

There's never been much of (any of?) a story in this show, it's food, tits, and abs on parade. I'm in it for the cheesecakes and the cheesecake and it delivers that well enough on those even if the plot happening around them can be dumb. There's low points but as long as we get a lovingly detailed shot of some food or another followed by an equally lovingly drawn naked man or woman talking about how the grated cheese hidden in the crust or whatever changed their life every few weeks I'm fine throwing a few minutes of my time at it.

This is basically my thought. It's fine. It's definitely notably worse and a lot of my favorite characters got sidelined for the main handful, who I actually like but are definitely improved by their relationships with other characters.

The series rly fell off with all the Azami stuff, but at this point I feel like it's... Fine. It's very disappointing compared to the peak of the series, but since the Azami arc it has been stable enough that I haven't considered dropping it, with some bright spots. I probably won't miss it much when it's gone, after it burned through a ton of good will, but until then I'm enjoying yugioh the cooking manga.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I just don't care about these cooking battles against people I also don't care about.

What happened to the rest of the cast that made this series actually good?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Azami was a poo poo villain with terrible goals, but I did like the Snowpiercer, but with cooking, part of the arc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This updated

Being fed by IV because your sense of taste has sharpened to the point that everything tastes terrible makes sense. Otoh, I couldn't really give that much of a gently caress about Erina's mom who also apparently abandoned her

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is frustrating because I'm kinda into this plot point, but I'm kinda burned out by the Saiba so eh..

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is frustrating because I'm kinda into this plot point, but I'm kinda burned out by the Saiba so eh..

I would have liked this development if it wasn't just dumped on us and buried by bullshit. Erina vs her mom and the implications of having a god tongue is pretty cool, too bad we get it dropped on us over the span of like two chapters. And now the food battles are being resolved in less than a chapter. I'm really getting fed up with this pacing. Just cancel the manga or let it breathe, drat.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Honestly if they had reversed the order of reveals and had erina's mom come out first and then like Siaba's bullshit is something she trained into him so he COULD steal erina's god tongue would have made this far better.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

dumb speculation ahoy: the mom is actually soma's mom as well, which is why he can cook weird foods well (with an untrained God tongue)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AtomikKrab posted:

Honestly if they had reversed the order of reveals and had erina's mom come out first and then like Siaba's bullshit is something she trained into him so he COULD steal erina's god tongue would have made this far better.

Just replace Azami with her and make her not lovely.

So instead of creepy controlling dad you have a mom who is trying way too hard to save her daughter from ending up like her.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
so Erina's mom is basically a version of the doctor from the science department in Hell's Kitchen

He doesn't eat because he doesn't like any food- his overall goal however is to use science to produce a perfect artificial ration that meets people's nutritional needs perfectly, while providing whatever taste/texture they desire

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

dumb speculation ahoy: the mom is actually soma's mom as well, which is why he can cook weird foods well (with an untrained God tongue)

That is never happening unless Tsukuda wants to send off the series with middle fingers raised and for that one Japanese fan who buys 8 copies of every volume for their ship to put a brick through his window

Really not a fan of Erina suddenly reverting to being an rear end in a top hat like this even if circumstances make complete sense, but I guess one upside is this chapter did a really good job convincing me she's actually going to face Asahi and throw all his dumb bullshit back into his face.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 3, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Erina turning into a giant ruthless rear end in a top hat when confronted with her mother is actually a good move for her character except she should've done that when she ran into her dad again

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Erina turning into a giant ruthless rear end in a top hat when confronted with her mother is actually a good move for her character except she should've done that when she ran into her dad again

As long as it’s directed at her mom, sure.

Poor Takumi :(

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as it’s directed at her mom, sure.

Poor Takumi :(

dude stepped to the challenge he knew what he was in for

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

We doing this 0th seat bullshit again? I thought we were done with it after Bleach.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

better be some peanut butter squid takedown

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

So what is Erina hoping to gain from turning into a full blown bitch again?
I'm not saying Takumi should have won. But this feels like we're regressing with her character. She could have kicked his rear end in a friendly manner. This anger should have been directed towards her dumb mom and Saiba

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's a mad teen so her lashing out at everything is in fact the most realistic writing in the entire manga

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

At the parents, people in charge maybe.
Usually among friends, they feel free to chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I know this thread's got low trust in the writing but the character regression here feels intentional? We jump to a flashback of her being happy and confident (with Alice, who naturally elevates every chapter she's in) as juxtaposition and poo poo. Girl's realistically pissed as hell her mom's giving her poo poo now when she's freshly coming off finding a little space (we've unfortunately established she's had a traumatic and basically friendless childhood) and Takumi comes in smiling and casual so she snaps at him.

If she doesn't apologize when this is all sorted out and her head's back in the right place, then it'll be a disappointment, but this leadup has potential.

Mulderman posted:

At the parents, people in charge maybe.
Usually among friends, they feel free to chill.

Also, consider Takumi basically only hangs out with Soma. Plausible enough Erina's still distant enough from him that she isn't getting a whole lot of emotional feedback when she pulls this poo poo on him