Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hello Spaceman posted:

Peak Design Everyday Sling has a tablet compartment and modular camera compartment that's kinda designed for mirrorless. Comes in two sizes.
I have the larger one of these and it's a pretty good bag, it's a bit boxy [most camera bags are] the 10L is more like 8 and the waterproof zipper can be annoying but it's made well and it will easily fit the body and lenses plus ipad. If you're cool with just carrying your camera the 5L bag probably works but the iPad would probably make it a tight fit. I've had my eye on the Hex Ranger sling but it's perpetually sold out.

I really like DSPTCH bags, something like this would fit that stuff and be a little more streamlined, when I was in Japan I frequently had to take my bag off to squeeze into narrow shop aisles or crowded trains/elevators. You'd have to figure out your own padding/protection, though, which might increase bulk anyway. I've been using the smaller version as a sling/manpurse for my X100, sunglasses and umbrella. They also make a camera bag but it's pretty boxy and even more expensive than the Peak Designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Martytoof posted:

Bag thread seems to be archived so I'll ask here.

Looking for some recommendations for a small-ish bag that can hold an XPro1 with 35mm (possibly enough room to hold a small fisheye rokinon) and a 10" iPad Pro. I'd like to stay away from photo backpacks and maybe giant messenger type bags. I was browsing Amazon for some smaller cross-shoulder bags but nothing really stands out to me.

Going to Japan for a month and last time I was there I hated carrying my camera around on a strap, though didn't want to be without it. I figure some kind of bag where camera is easily accessible would be great. Since I'll be on my feet all day possibly in crowded areas I'm hoping to minimize the size and make it nondescript.

I'll end up buying something sight unseen if it gets to it, but I figured maybe you guys would be able to recommend something if this sounds familiar.

Are you looking to be smart and get an actual camera bag? If not, I've been using this as a man-purse/camera bag. The main compartment is big enough for an SLR plus an extra lens (depending on the lenses). The iPad might just fit in it; if I found the correct dimensions of the 10.5in iPad, this bag is basically the exact same size. There's not really any padding though if you're trying to actually keep your equipment safe. I just threw some foam I had laying around in it, and am gambling that it will be able to keep it safe. I mostly just like that it doesn't look like a camera bag so can just carry it everywhere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys, these are some good ideas and I'll mull my choices over.

I'm probably not looking to get a camera bag specifically, but something I can throw a camera into, with my passport and maybe a few other essentials. Now that I really stop to think about it, the iPad isn't necessary at ALL so that kind of opens up my options for smaller bags. The more I think about it, the more I think my biggest requirements are that it's discrete, not bulky, and that I can get a camera in and out fairly quickly without a lot of unbuckling or unsnapping.

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.
I like the Ona Bowery for this.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Thanks guys, these are some good ideas and I'll mull my choices over.

I'm probably not looking to get a camera bag specifically, but something I can throw a camera into, with my passport and maybe a few other essentials. Now that I really stop to think about it, the iPad isn't necessary at ALL so that kind of opens up my options for smaller bags. The more I think about it, the more I think my biggest requirements are that it's discrete, not bulky, and that I can get a camera in and out fairly quickly without a lot of unbuckling or unsnapping.

Fun alternative: bring that stuff in a backpack or suitcase to Japan, then go bag shopping in Tokyo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

harperdc posted:

Fun alternative: bring that stuff in a backpack or suitcase to Japan, then go bag shopping in Tokyo.
This is a good idea [there's a DSPTCH store near Shibuya].

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’m juuuust starting to dip my toe into using external flashes, and I could use some guidance. I’ve got a Canon 7D, and two old Minolta flashes: a 132X speed light and an 80PX ring light. The ring light works so-so on the Canon body (I have to manually set aperture and shutter speed for proper exposure), but the speed light doesn’t appear to be doing anything. It seems to mount onto the hotshoe okay, it powers on, and I’m able to manually fire it using the little button near its base, but the camera won’t trigger it.

Might this be a problem with the flash itself—something I doubt, as I can manually fire it—or is it simply incompatible with my newer DSLR? It seems odd that the ring light, which is of a similar vintage to the speed light, works, but the other flash doesn’t.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’d look into whether that particular model is safe to use on your camera. The older speedlights are known for causing damage on DSLR and modern bodies.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Oh, poo poo! Yeah, I’d better check that out. Thanks.

e: According to this resource I should be safe in that regard.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 24, 2019

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
So last summer i bought a Godox AD600 Pro while on vacation, since it is about 40% cheaper in my wife's country than my own.
When travelling home the checked-in luggage checkers removed the battery for the AD600 from my suitcase, as apparently you are not allowed to travel with them (its not a LiPo battery so this is really nicpicky)

Long story short, ive been really busy since then so only just this weekend did i buy a replacement battery; aaaand it doesn't seem to work.

I plug in the charger and the only thing that happens is the charger showing a red light. No battery charge level indicator, no "error with battery" flashing. The battery is not heating up so theres no energy going to it.
Is this a common issue? Is the battery dead because it is old? The Godox products never really gained traction here so the only time the stores took in these products was when they were new. I literally bought the last battery.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Ineptitude posted:

So last summer i bought a Godox AD600 Pro while on vacation, since it is about 40% cheaper in my wife's country than my own.
When travelling home the checked-in luggage checkers removed the battery for the AD600 from my suitcase, as apparently you are not allowed to travel with them (its not a LiPo battery so this is really nicpicky)

When you're traveling on an airplane, nearly every airline has a policy that all lithium batteries have to be carried on board in person regardless of the specific chemistry (lithium polymer, lithium ion, etc) I don't think the battery chemistry is even important anymore, if its any combo of lithium, its not allowed in checked baggage. Even spare camera batteries (if they are lithium) can't go in checked baggage. From what I found, the AD600 has a lithium battery pack. I've seen some are lithium ion and others are lithium polymer.

Do you have a multimeter? Can you manually check the voltage of the battery? From what it looks like, a lot of reviews for those batteries from various sources (B&H, adorama, amazon) seem to show a lot of quality control issues with those batteries. A lot of people are saying they got batteries that were dead on arrival and wouldn't charge.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks!

I have access to one through relatives.

is it obvious where to measure? The battery doesn't have a + and a - but a "bus" with like 20 connectors.

EDIT: the store took it back and ordered a new one for me

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 27, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So for older AF 400/5.6 primes, I've only been able to find a few variants.

Canon (I don't have a Canon system)
Sigma non-APO
Sigma APO
Sigma APO (Older HSM type, Nikon/Minolta didn't have a motor tho)
Sigma APO (Newer HSM type, Nikon/Minolta didn't have a motor tho)
Tokina SD (older red ring style, never carried over to their gold ring)

Am I missing anything?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have a lens that accepts 52 mm filters, and I want a 15+ stop ND filter. Trouble is, nobody (trustworthy) makes them. I am therefore thinking of getting a step-up ring and then getting a larger diameter 15+ stop ND filter which are readily available. Should I be concerned with light leaking through the step-up ring?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly don't see how it could. Threads are very good light traps. Otherwise you can just add some light seals with felt tape. But again, I don't know where you could have a leak.

Another option is going full spendy with the Cokin P/Zpro Series filter mount.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 3, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I honestly don't see how it could. Threads are very good light traps.

Yeah, a series of fine filter threads are kind of like a bunch of little baffles.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

President Beep posted:

Yeah, a series of fine filter threads are kind of like a bunch of little baffles.

That's what I thought, I just wanted to confirm.

um excuse me posted:

Another option is going full spendy with the Cokin P/Zpro Series filter mount.

Compactness is more important.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest problem with step up rings is if you need more than one. Constantly removing and installing them sucks.

Taping them could be a good idea just to keep them together as one unit.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

The biggest problem with step up rings is if you need more than one. Constantly removing and installing them sucks.

Taping them could be a good idea just to keep them together as one unit.

I can get away with using just one.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone suggest a good how-to video for graduated nd filters? I ended up with a set of cokins and wouldn’t mind some tips.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Is the K&F tripod alright or is it junk? One the one hand everyone says it's great but then on the other everyone says don't get a cheap tripod.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KA4TUJW?pf_rd_p=71cb17e9-f468-4d3f-94d5-a0de44c50a7e&pf_rd_r=S78J0JYDJ1NJKFQ46BSS

It's for my 80d and my 100mm/65mm macro lenses.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Eh, I use a Neewer carbon fiber tripod that was that same price and it’s been pretty sturdy so far. On the one hand, I’m sure it’s not as nice/refined as something more expensive, but on the other hand I’ve never regretted getting it and it’s always proved adequate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It looks compromised for the price point. The lesser star reviews point towards build quality not being particularly fantastic, and it looks to try and do an awful lot for the money.

I often find Amazon is a hive of people giving overenthusiastic reviews to eh products because they’re not expensive and don’t disintegrate out of the box. I once tried a pair of £30 IEM style headphones where the people were raving about how amazing they were and outdid brands that cost many times over but it wasn’t the case. My Klipsch ones weren’t a huge amount more and destroyed them in every factor.

Also plenty of Amazon reviews are done in exchange for free products etc. I just can’t trust them at all.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I lost the lens cap to my 14mm MF Rokinon. B&H only has rear caps and Amazon has 1 used for $40. I think I'm not searching under the right terms or something? Anyone know where I can get one?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could try their importer: https://www.elitebrands.com/contact

Or you could get one of those front of lens bag things from lenscoat (hoodie i think.)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I lost the lens cap to my 14mm MF Rokinon. B&H only has rear caps and Amazon has 1 used for $40. I think I'm not searching under the right terms or something? Anyone know where I can get one?

Just get a generic lens cap of the right size based on your filter size.

oops...forgot about the bulgey front element.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

What about one of these things?

https://www.amazon.com/KUVRD-Original-Universal-Lifetime-Coverage/dp/B07918N13L?th=1&psc=1

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Try searching for samyang, they are also sold under that name in Europe among other places.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks goons!

I think I'm going to order a couple of these, just to have a spare.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Can anyone suggest a good how-to video for graduated nd filters? I ended up with a set of cokins and wouldn’t mind some tips.

How about some words? https://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2016/8/30/gnd-filters-getting-the-perfect-exposure-in-one-shot

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is great, thanks!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm not sure how many people this will help since it's super specific, but if you have a Peak Design messenger and are looking for a convenient way to carry a water bottle, the 0.7L Vapur foldable water bottle fits nicely into the (IMO way too small) external side pockets. It's not very secure on its own because of the angled shape of the pocket, but the bottle's carabiner can clip onto the strap buckle without limiting the use of the strap.

The Element Fire colorway that I got also happens to match the black messenger colorway, which is nice.

Bag shown is the 13-inch model. Don't know if the 15-inch has bigger pockets.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think I've hit peak Peak Design

This is in addition to the 13" messenger pictured above, a capture clip (older model) pretty much permanently attached to its side, and a slide strap for when I don't need a whole bag

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use a hand strap like that clutch (although I'm sure that ones better than mine). I dig it, been using a few years and never really been tempted to put a neck strap back on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I cheaped out and ended up buying a medium Amazon Basics DSLR bag for next to nothing. Holds my XPro1, battery packs, Pentax ME, film, and enough small stuff for a day out just fine. I can fit my 10" iPad Pro in there if I really /JAM/ it in, though it is clearly not a good fit. In the end I couldn't justify dropping a hundred plus dollars on a bag when I can use it on film or something instead. I'm going to pick up a wrist strap of some sort before I go but I have to say I'm pretty pleased with how my pack is turning out.

I can't stress the "next to nothing" factor enough. Even if I get to Tokyo and find a better bag I'll have zero qualms about literally throwing this in the trash, which I don't see happening.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 9, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The non-backpack one? I’ve got that too. The padding seems adequate, and mine’s held up to a handful of trips. Definitely a good value.

But the strap it comes with though—what a piece of junk.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

President Beep posted:

The non-backpack one? I’ve got that too. The padding seems adequate, and mine’s held up to a handful of trips. Definitely a good value.

But the strap it comes with though—what a piece of junk.

Oh yeah the shoulder padding is stiff as a board. I just removed it and it's like a hundred percent better. I have a bunch of better shoulder strap pads I can put on, I just haven't been bothered enough to do it. Will definitely do so before I take it on any 8+ hour walks though.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Do any of you have any experience with the Fuji X-Pro2? I'm considering picking one up, especially after the 3 is announced, because the price ought to come down even farther than it already has.

I'm curious about impressions of the viewfinder, and the XF lens lineup. It seems like a great little camera that would be fun to shoot.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sneeze Party posted:

Do any of you have any experience with the Fuji X-Pro2? I'm considering picking one up, especially after the 3 is announced, because the price ought to come down even farther than it already has.

I'm curious about impressions of the viewfinder, and the XF lens lineup. It seems like a great little camera that would be fun to shoot.

Yep!

I've got one, ask away. It's perfect if you're after a camera that feels good to use, and you gives you the choice between an optical or electronic viewfinder.

I shoot it as a walk around when I don't have my full DSLR kit with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Yeast posted:

Yep!

I've got one, ask away. It's perfect if you're after a camera that feels good to use, and you gives you the choice between an optical or electronic viewfinder.

I shoot it as a walk around when I don't have my full DSLR kit with me.
It sounds like it's a lot of fun to use. Do you exclusively use Fuji lenses on it, or do you have any adapters? I've got a couple of M-Mount lenses that I'd like to use with it, and I'm confused about whether or not the OVF will work with non-Fuji lenses.

How well does it achieve focus? Do you do much manual focusing with it? That's mostly why I'm interested in the OVF. That kind of camera, manual focus is fun -- at least with a traditional rangefinder.

How does the image quality, in your view, compare to your DSLR setup? I'd be coming from a Canon 5D Mark III (not that I'd get rid of it).