Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i give olmeca props, he's actually done trillions of damage and made easily a trillion in profit

Oh yeah, it’d just be way more fun if he wasn’t su I a whiny grrgoon about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i think that makes it better, he's like gevlon but actually effective

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It seems like every day I play this game I run into Goonswarm members autistically screeching about how they are the best at the game, how everyone else sucks, etc. I could understand cockiness if the matchups in warfare were even or almost even in terms of power, fleet numbers, or other comparable statistics. Being able to win a fight would be a reflection of the skill of the fleet commanders and the people playing the game. This could not be further from the case though. Through actions, both legal and illegal, Goonswarm has been able to seize control of the game.

1) They have set up a botting empire. While I do realize that not every single Goonswarm member is a botter, it would be foolish to say that they do not welcome botters in with open arms. Of course, when it becomes obvious that a corp is populated by botters Goonswarm takes action (think TNT the other day). By harnessing the power of bots they have built their alliance to the point it is currently at (after all who can compete versus hundreds of rorquals mining 23 hours a day in terms of sheer economic output).

2) They have taken advantage of CSM privileges to push their agenda forward. While not technically against the rules, this is against the spirit of the game. Goonswarm and company account for around half of the members of the annual CSM group. As a member of this group they receive inside information about the future of the game that allows them to better position themselves and their alliance for future success.

3) Some members of Goonswarm use their positions as moderators on this subreddit to instantly silence any criticism of their alliance. Olmeca was not lying when he said that moderator abuse on behalf of Goonswarm is an issue. I have had countless posts be deleted with zero explanation for the mods. Coincidentally these posts all highlighted the issues with the rampant botting in Goonswarm among other things. In fact I'd be willing to bet 20 billion ISK that this post is pulled down within 30 minutes of posting.

4) They made way too big of an alliance. In almost any fight against Goonswarm you are going to be severely outnumbered. This is because they alone are an alliance with 35,000 members (according to DOTLAN). Out of the top 11 alliances by population, 6 are allied with Goonswarm. By adding up the numbers on DOTLAN you can see that between 2/3 to 3/4 of the Sov controlling alliance population belongs to Goonswarm. While this does include alts, you would be a fool to believe that anybody has the numbers to contend.

TLDR: Goon leadership supports botting, CSM privileges are abused by Goonswarm members, mods of this subreddit who are also in Goonswarm defend their practices, and they outnumber pretty much everyone else in the game combined in null. Not much to brag about now, is it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

you dingus i already posted that here

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:justpost:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

It seems like every day I play this game I run into Goonswarm members autistically screeching about how they are the best at the game, how everyone else sucks, etc. I could understand cockiness if the matchups in warfare were even or almost even in terms of power, fleet numbers, or other comparable statistics. Being able to win a fight would be a reflection of the skill of the fleet commanders and the people playing the game. This could not be further from the case though. Through actions, both legal and illegal, Goonswarm has been able to seize control of the game.

1) They have set up a botting empire. While I do realize that not every single Goonswarm member is a botter, it would be foolish to say that they do not welcome botters in with open arms. Of course, when it becomes obvious that a corp is populated by botters Goonswarm takes action (think TNT the other day). By harnessing the power of bots they have built their alliance to the point it is currently at (after all who can compete versus hundreds of rorquals mining 23 hours a day in terms of sheer economic output).

2) They have taken advantage of CSM privileges to push their agenda forward. While not technically against the rules, this is against the spirit of the game. Goonswarm and company account for around half of the members of the annual CSM group. As a member of this group they receive inside information about the future of the game that allows them to better position themselves and their alliance for future success.

3) Some members of Goonswarm use their positions as moderators on this subreddit to instantly silence any criticism of their alliance. Olmeca was not lying when he said that moderator abuse on behalf of Goonswarm is an issue. I have had countless posts be deleted with zero explanation for the mods. Coincidentally these posts all highlighted the issues with the rampant botting in Goonswarm among other things. In fact I'd be willing to bet 20 billion ISK that this post is pulled down within 30 minutes of posting.

4) They made way too big of an alliance. In almost any fight against Goonswarm you are going to be severely outnumbered. This is because they alone are an alliance with 35,000 members (according to DOTLAN). Out of the top 11 alliances by population, 6 are allied with Goonswarm. By adding up the numbers on DOTLAN you can see that between 2/3 to 3/4 of the Sov controlling alliance population belongs to Goonswarm. While this does include alts, you would be a fool to believe that anybody has the numbers to contend.

TLDR: Goon leadership supports botting, CSM privileges are abused by Goonswarm members, mods of this subreddit who are also in Goonswarm defend their practices, and they outnumber pretty much everyone else in the game combined in null. Not much to brag about now, is it?

Goon claim to be the best, and here are 4 reasons why they are correct!

Lol that anyone thinks EVE is a game about being good at fitting ships and hitting F1 better than anyone else. Making friends IS the game.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Obviously not to the extent of Olmeca, but I can kinda relate to the random line member screeching.

Like I'll roam Delve because it's awesome. Then like Sarahvanessa or someone puts the effort into tackling/baiting me then some random goonie in an ares does 0.0% damage and is like, "WELCOME TO DELVE :boom:"

Or they'll be in chat sperging "this is why you shouldn't come to Delve"

I just don't understand when the people who didn't do anything are the ones flexing on the kill.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FranktheBank posted:

Obviously not to the extent of Olmeca, but I can kinda relate to the random line member screeching.

Like I'll roam Delve because it's awesome. Then like Sarahvanessa or someone puts the effort into tackling/baiting me then some random goonie in an ares does 0.0% damage and is like, "WELCOME TO DELVE :boom:"

I just don't understand when the people who didn't do anything are the ones flexing on the kill.

Did the ares hold point

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FranktheBank posted:

Never played WoT, I see.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FranktheBank posted:

you're irritated enough to post about it, which is enough payoff for the effort of pasting a DELVE POLICE ascii in local

nobody is gonna disagree that it's obnoxious. being obnoxious is the whole point.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

orange juche posted:

Did the ares hold point

For this hypothetical, no. I'm just referencing the people who show up after the hard work is done and are like "YA WE DUNKED YOU." The people that frequently kill me like Sarah or jonas or whatever are usually laughing with me.

Klyith posted:

you're irritated enough to post about it, which is enough payoff for the effort of pasting a DELVE POLICE ascii in local

nobody is gonna disagree that it's obnoxious. being obnoxious is the whole point.

Not really irritated, it's just comical.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

orange juche posted:

Did the ares hold point

it was probably a tnt ares

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
It definitely wasn't Bastion. They couldn't tackle if I was an afk megathron autopiloting to 1dq.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Landsknecht posted:

na like in 2016-17 we were still playing eve and just doing a bit of pubg/rocket league/OW/whatever-fotm-game on the side, but now it's become "play other games regularly, and eve on the side"

this is precisely what happened to groon, until groon came to the realization that eve is garbage and the sub wasn't worth bothering with anymore

perhaps someday others will too

e: last i checked they were playing blood bowl, and having way the gently caress more fun with that than anyone has ever had in eve

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

One day, all of the Goonion will return to Syndicate to begin anew, in that beloved creche of spaceship insanity. So it is foretold.

We already did that, I was there for it, turns out it sucked :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ad by Khad posted:

this is precisely what happened to groon, until groon came to the realization that eve is garbage and the sub wasn't worth bothering with anymore

perhaps someday others will too

e: last i checked they were playing blood bowl, and having way the gently caress more fun with that than anyone has ever had in eve

Blood bowl rules, thats a good choice. I'm glad Groon is still in existence, I assumed they were gone.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

DrDork posted:

I almost felt bad today:

I was dicking around with exploring in an Astero, and found a neutral trying to explore in the same system. There was no one else in the system. I found him in his dinky Heron trying to hack a can and...I killed him. As I locked him up he drops in local "no, plz." "why?" "last monies. my boat ;_;" He then didn't even bother to try to save his pod, and instead actually got a little annoyed when I didn't pod him immediately.

The killmail showed he was, indeed, rocking a half-fit pure T1 boat. All the way down in Period Basis, somehow.

I throw every T1 explorer I club 10-20 million isk for the privilege of letting me blow them up. That's just good manners.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

evilweasel posted:

finding the pain point where a market competitor gives up is useful and cutting profit out of it is a good way to push some people out so you can enter that market

i'm selling a few specific products in 1dq and have been doing so pretty much at cost for a while until everyone gets the message to get the gently caress out of my market (it helps that i'm perfectly happy to sell at cost since a big reason i'm producing is to make it easier to sell some of my reaction products).

The thing is, this works... except on high volume items as others will also take a loss for a short while, if they are doing it right that is.

My only complaint is when you have a high volume item that sells for say 500,000 isk and the buy orders have been floating at half price and still being filled.

Then along comes some dude who goes “I know, I will set up my buy order at 125k above the current highest.”

What I am saying is all this does is either:

1. If I (another person in that market) have the inventory, I fill their order. Congrats you just bought a thousand widgets at an inflated price slicing your own profit margin; OR

2. Nobody currently in that market is going to bat an eye before immediately matching your buy order. Congrats you’ve just reset the buy market to a higher price, ensuring ultimately (if you stay in said market) your margin will be even less than in scenario one.

Edit

If it is a low volume item, or maybe even an moderate volume item, fine because some subset of people will get out of the market if you kill their margins below a certain level. Great and legit strategy to corner an item; however, in this case (I trade mostly in Rens and Hek) the incident I am speaking happened on something super high volume—maybe warrior 2s, I already forgot—in which case literally point 1 or 2 was going to happen to the person entering the market at that price point.

Maybe I am speaking for myself, but it seems like I still have competition on high volume items no matter what, but I will definitely take my high volume orders to the razor edge of profitability—and as you point out, over in cases its necessary to stay in the market long run.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 3, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ZombieLenin posted:

The thing is, this works... except on high volume items as others will also take a loss for a short while, if they are doing it right that is.
Maybe I am speaking for myself, but it seems like I still have competition on high volume items no matter what, but I will definitely take my high volume orders to the razor edge of profitability—and as you point out, over in cases its necessary to stay in the market long run.

It really only works if you keep it up, yeah. The goal is to squeeze people out, and they're not gonna get squeezed out by a single order or even a couple, and definitely not by just halving the profit but still leaving tons to chase.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ZombieLenin posted:

My only complaint is when you have a high volume item that sells for say 500,000 isk and the buy orders have been floating at half price and still being filled.

What item was this, because I'm having a hard time believing that you were trading in a double-your-isk situation and there was real volume there.

This is a inefficient market. A 100% spread should not exist on things that move, and if it does you should expect that gap to close. Products that have regular supply and demand should not have that unless every producer and buyer is an idiot.

edit: If you are a pure market trader, buying low on buy orders and listing higher on sells, the function you are providing is liquidity. That represents value, so turning a profit on it is a natural result. The more illiquid the item would normally be (aka low turnover or something where for example many producers but few consumers) the more profit you should expect to make. For an item where the market is extremely liquid -- ex minerals -- you should expect to have extremely thin margins because producers and consumers can probably get along fine without a middleman.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 4, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

edit: If you are a pure market trader, buying low on buy orders and listing higher on sells, the function you are providing is liquidity. That represents value, so turning a profit on it is a natural result. The more illiquid the item would normally be (aka low turnover or something where for example many producers but few consumers) the more profit you should expect to make. For an item where the market is extremely liquid -- ex minerals -- you should expect to have extremely thin margins because producers and consumers can probably get along fine without a middleman.

Yup! Station trading in EVE is much more "used car salesman" than "daytrader". Low volume stuff is great if you dont mind sitting on it for a few weeks. The pay off is usually worth it.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i just took everything this guy owned including his skillpoints for like 230 bil

ama

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i just took everything this guy owned including his skillpoints for like 230 bil

ama

Which scam did you run

Also are you feeling generous :3:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ama

How do you steal his skill points? Did he pay for the extractors or did you provide them for him?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ama

Send it to me and I'll double it

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

edit: i'll write up a proper aar

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

nevermind it's this much better

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

nevermind it's this much better

I'll suck your space dick for some of that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cobbsprite posted:

I'll suck your space dick for some of that.

Jade?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

warning: long post

Background Information

I started ganking on my own in Uedama over the last couple of days and had quite a bit of luck, having had about a dozen successful ransoms, a single particularly profitable scam and an expensive bowhead kill.

Anti-Gankers started mass-multiboxing Ospreys and Griffins, and it wasn't uncommon to have a dozen or two Anti-Gankers trying to stop you from ganking. This didn't bother me however, as the ships frequently scare freighters into paying ransom as it lends credibility to my threat that they're in danger. (And by the way, ransoms can be much more profitable than the ganks in the first place.)

Bumpers have mainly two roles in ganking fleets- to ransom and metagame the freighter and to bump the freighter long enough for the gank fleet to arrive. A skilled bumper is a sociopathic predator who knows exactly what to say to the small brained freighter pilots to get them to pay the ransom knowing that the freighter is doomed whether or not they actually pay. So what happens if the freighter pays the ransom, and the gank fleet is unable to kill the target or unwilling?

Chapter One

After slumbering for 12 hours and taking my weekly shower, I logged onto EvE: Onlien to gank some disgusting carebear scum. After my first kill, over 20 Anti-Gankers had logged on who had enough bullshit on field to effectively stop me from ganking. They were all distracted by my second bumper temporarily, and completely missed the fact that I was bumping a completely expanded freighter carrying 600m in Ore in Sivala right next door. I was able to move my gankers into system but by the time I was setup there was too many Anti-Gankers on grid, so I opened a conversation with the freighter instead.

"You are being bumped for CODE. gankers in system, you can see them idling on that citadel over there. Pay the 300m ransom fee or you will be destroyed."

"Who do I send the ISK to?" responded the helpful freighter pilot.

"You can send it to me."

After he sent me the 300m, I knew I wasn't going to be able to gank him so I continued talking to him. I brought up the fact that he had no mining permit, and I had provided one to him for free. I had told him that due to bureaucratic limitations, I was unable to let him go because he had Veldspar in his cargo hold, which was forbidden by a New Halaima Ordinance.

"Oh I can just eject that, do you want me to?" asked the helpful freighter.

"Oh I wouldn't want you to do that, you'd be out 600m and besides, I wouldn't want you to lose any more ISK before my superiors can advise me on what to do." I paused. "What I could do is allow you to dock, and then remove the ore from your cargohold, wait for my superior to process the ore and then return it to you."

"Sure! That sounds great!" responded the helpful freighter pilot.

"There is just one problem though, and it's mostly a problem of trust. I need you to send me the value of your freighter so I can be sure that you will hand it over once you dock, and not just log off. I will need you to send me 1.7 billion ISK."

After receiving the 1.7 billion ISK collateral fee, I allowed the helpful freighter pilot to dock in the top station of Sivala. Anti-Gankers rejoiced in local, and I let them have that victory as I docked up with the helpful freighter pilot and accepted the trade of his Charon and it's total cargo. Total ISK value: 3.7b

**I knew he could pay the 1.7B Collateral because I had asked him to link me the 300m ransom wallet transaction, which has his current wallet value in it. If he couldn't get all of it, I would have asked for as much as he could have paid.**

Chapter Two

After explaining to the helpful former freighter pilot the motivations of The CODE Alliance and the Greater New Order Community I told him that I was unable to start the '24 hour lockout period' while the helpful former freighter pilot had mining skills still trained. I told him to go to Jita and extract them, and we'd even trade him the injectors back after the 24 hour lockout period (that I had just made up). He gladly extracted the skills, as he claimed he wasn't a miner anyway. He accidentally let slip that he had multiple accounts, and he was told to extract the mining skills from his other account as well, and he happily obliged.

"Alright, I extracted all of my mining skills and traded them to [you.]" said the helpful former freighter pilot.

"Alright, now that you've extracted all of your mining and reprocessing skills I'd like you to take a screenshot of your character sheet just for us to confirm, and then you'll have your stuff back." I replied.

"Oh I didn't do the reprocessing skills, I'll get right on that! Can I borrow 30 more extractors?"

This same process went on several times. I initially only asked for the Mining Barge, Mining, and Mining drone skills, but I expanded that slowly to all skills I could reasonably link to mining. I started off with reprocessing (because you reprocess ore, duh) and then the Mining Boost skills, and then eventually to all of the anchoring skills and his Industrial and Freighter skills. This process was slow and took hours, as he was only capable of doing one injector per minute, which means we waited for over 3 hours for this process. Total ISK value: ~100b

Chapter Three

I thought we should take a break from the repetitive excuses we've been using to take the helpful former freighter pilot's Skill Points, and we swapped to assets. The segue for this was that I had noticed he had a Hulk in his inventory in one of his screenshots and told him we needed to confiscate all mining equipment he had, be it an Orca or Procurer. As I didn't have any better way since API was disabled and I don't have an ESI version of Jacknife, I simply had to rely on him screenshotting his assets, and then sending them to me if he had 'illegal goods' in station. We eventually broadened the criteria for 'Mining Equipment' as we kept going over his assets until all things like citadels, ore, minerals, suspected finished products, capital components, and even a Kronos with a mining laser on it was in my hangar.

"I didn't want to look through all of my items one by one, and since I'm getting them all back in 24 hours anyway I don't mind giving you guys extra stuff. Here you guys go!

Total ISK value: ~70b

Chapter Four

After spending a couple of hours getting assets, we figured we'd go back and get more skill points. We pretty much did the exact thing above, except I had one of my other participants talk to the helpful former freighter pilot. My associate was able to convince the helpful former freighter pilot to extract ALL of his leadership skills, as the base leadership skill (that is a prerequisite to all leadership skills) gives a range bonus to mining links. He also got him to extract all of his trade skills, as those are used to trade his mined and produced goods. He also got him to extract down "Science" to zero, which is a prerequisite for many skills, like Cybernetics. Cybernetics is required to have implants, so bye bye. He also said Jury Rigging skills are required to build rigs, so those went into my wallet as well.

During this, I spent a bunch of time looking at the helpful former freighter pilot's assets and requesting him give me certain high value assets in a couple of his stations. He was getting less and less enthusiastic and we could tell.

Total ISK value: ~50b

Chapter Five

At this point, the helpful former freighter pilot had went through every single conceivable set of mental gymnastics we could create, and he still had a bunch of skill points and assets that could be claimed. We were just going to break the scam to him when SIEGFRIED COHENBERG messages me on discord.

"Globby what the gently caress is wrong with you? are you still scamming that guy? It's been like 8 hours"

After briefing SIEGFRIED COHENBERG on our mental block, he comes into channel loud and proud.

"So I was told what's going on here Mister [helpful former freighter pilot]. Why aren't you going to give us all of your stuff?" boasted SIEGFRIED COHENBERG.

"Well I don't have to-"

"Why aren't you giving us your last skill points? You really should." SIEGFRIED COHENBERG spergs.

"I'm tired, I want to go to bed and my fiance-"

"Listen, this is a hypothetical but what would you rather lose, a freighter carrying 600 mil of Veldspar, or everything that you own?"

"What-"

"What I'm saying is, give us all of your stuff because you need to show full faith to the CODE."

In this remarkable display of stupidity genius , somehow SIEGFRIED COHENBERG convinces the guy to liquidate the last few assets he has left, mainly the 8 billion ISK in buy orders, the 60 million remaining skill points he has left on his two characters, the 8 bil in [REDACTED] he had and he ended up transferring every single asset he has in the entire game. Literally what the gently caress.

The liquid after paying out 40b to other participants.

Total: Just under 300b.

The moral of the story is I guess thank god for Anti-Gankers, because I would've just bricked the guy and left but they convinced me to make over 1400x the profit (but I guess it did take 12 hours.)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Holy poo poo. You scammer people are loving psycho.

Edit: Also that guy is hella dumb so a fool and his money and all that.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Eh. It's just pixels. The hardest part is identifying a mark imo. There are just people out there predisposed to give all their poo poo away to a complete stranger on the flimsiest of reasons. While I've never pulled scams as big as globby has, some of my earliest memories in Goonswarm are of recruitment scamming people who'd been playing for many years more than I had out of their stuff. My single biggest win was a carrier, but I think my best haul was a disillusioned Dutch pubbie who had been in whatever that NRDS region of space was (can't remember) who handed me all of his ships to the tune of 2.5 billion or more because he got into a petty argument with his corpmates. Tbh he owed me at least that much for listening to his bullshit.

I think my all-time favorite though was when scooter scammed director roles out of that NC. renter alliance and nuked it from orbit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:psyduck:
How the hell do you make 300b worth of assets if you are that dumb? That must represent YEARS of hisec freighter runs.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
That's the part that gets me, is you've been in high sec for what, 4 years at 2m SP a month? And you don't see this coming?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Klyith posted:

What item was this, because I'm having a hard time believing that you were trading in a double-your-isk situation and there was real volume there.

This is a inefficient market. A 100% spread should not exist on things that move, and if it does you should expect that gap to close. Products that have regular supply and demand should not have that unless every producer and buyer is an idiot.

It was a tech 2 light drone in either Rens or Hek. Can’t remember which drone or system—I can look.

My guess was in Rens though, because that is where my profit margins are best. The system still does high volume, but most traders in the area seem to be in Hek.

The best part about the combo of these systems is that they are regional trade hubs 5 jumps apart... and there are certain items in both places where you could buy straight from the sell orders, move them 5 jumps and make between 20% and 50% margins.

Edit

Not going to lie, I have been playing a tiny bit with the 1DQ market, and despite making between 20 and 30 bill a month half assing the markets in Hek and Rens lately I have been toying with the idea of putting my trade alt/jf pilot in the alliance and moving my inventory out to 1DQ because...

1. I can station trade only there with less frequent hauling;

2. Despite my income I can’t bring myself to ‘blow’ my isk plexing. If I did this I could stop paying for at least one account and or sell/extract one alt.

Double edit

3. I have two maxed skilled trade alts with full sets of orders, and a third trade alt I have been playing around with in 1DQ. It takes me almost an hour to check and adjust orders. If I dropped to 1 trader I could have a lot note time to do fun things instead of spending 3 out of 4 hours of play time doing trade orders on a daily.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 4, 2019

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Micromancer posted:

That's the part that gets me, is you've been in high sec for what, 4 years at 2m SP a month? And you don't see this coming?

I can understand how people get scammed. Its not a new phenomenon and it happens all the time even in real life.
What I don't understand is people who keep doubling down.

There has to be a point where you realize you're being scammed (or probably being scammed). At that point, so many people decide to double down and keep on giving... Why?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dalael posted:

I can understand how people get scammed. Its not a new phenomenon and it happens all the time even in real life.
What I don't understand is people who keep doubling down.

There has to be a point where you realize you're being scammed (or probably being scammed). At that point, so many people decide to double down and keep on giving... Why?

Because then they're guaranteeing their losses, while if they keep going there's a chance it wasn't all a scam!

You see it all the time, people don't want to admit they were wrong and got fooled, so for some it's easier to keep being duped (which ironically just keeps raising the stakes)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

It was a tech 2 light drone in either Rens or Hek. Can’t remember which drone or system—I can look.

My guess was in Rens though, because that is where my profit margins are best. The system still does high volume, but most traders in the area seem to be in Hek.

The best part about the combo of these systems is that they are regional trade hubs 5 jumps apart... and there are certain items in both places where you could buy straight from the sell orders, move them 5 jumps and make between 20% and 50% margins.

Edit

Not going to lie, I have been playing a tiny bit with the 1DQ market, and despite making between 20 and 30 bill a month half assing the markets in Hek and Rens lately I have been toying with the idea of putting my trade alt/jf pilot in the alliance and moving my inventory out to 1DQ because...

1. I can station trade only there with less frequent hauling;

2. Despite my income I can’t bring myself to ‘blow’ my isk plexing. If I did this I could stop paying for at least one account and or sell/extract one alt.

Double edit

3. I have two maxed skilled trade alts with full sets of orders, and a third trade alt I have been playing around with in 1DQ. It takes me almost an hour to check and adjust orders. If I dropped to 1 trader I could have a lot note time to do fun things instead of spending 3 out of 4 hours of play time doing trade orders on a daily.

You should stick to Hek and Rens. Don't trade in 1DQ its not profitable and you'll just be a wasting your time. Very bad place to trade!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rutibex posted:

You should stick to Hek and Rens. Don't trade in 1DQ its not profitable and you'll just be a wasting your time. Very bad place to trade!

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

warning: long post

Background Information

I started ganking on my own in Uedama over the last couple of days and had quite a bit of luck, having had about a dozen successful ransoms, a single particularly profitable scam and an expensive bowhead kill.

Anti-Gankers started mass-multiboxing Ospreys and Griffins, and it wasn't uncommon to have a dozen or two Anti-Gankers trying to stop you from ganking. This didn't bother me however, as the ships frequently scare freighters into paying ransom as it lends credibility to my threat that they're in danger. (And by the way, ransoms can be much more profitable than the ganks in the first place.)

Bumpers have mainly two roles in ganking fleets- to ransom and metagame the freighter and to bump the freighter long enough for the gank fleet to arrive. A skilled bumper is a sociopathic predator who knows exactly what to say to the small brained freighter pilots to get them to pay the ransom knowing that the freighter is doomed whether or not they actually pay. So what happens if the freighter pays the ransom, and the gank fleet is unable to kill the target or unwilling?

Chapter One

After slumbering for 12 hours and taking my weekly shower, I logged onto EvE: Onlien to gank some disgusting carebear scum. After my first kill, over 20 Anti-Gankers had logged on who had enough bullshit on field to effectively stop me from ganking. They were all distracted by my second bumper temporarily, and completely missed the fact that I was bumping a completely expanded freighter carrying 600m in Ore in Sivala right next door. I was able to move my gankers into system but by the time I was setup there was too many Anti-Gankers on grid, so I opened a conversation with the freighter instead.

"You are being bumped for CODE. gankers in system, you can see them idling on that citadel over there. Pay the 300m ransom fee or you will be destroyed."

"Who do I send the ISK to?" responded the helpful freighter pilot.

"You can send it to me."

After he sent me the 300m, I knew I wasn't going to be able to gank him so I continued talking to him. I brought up the fact that he had no mining permit, and I had provided one to him for free. I had told him that due to bureaucratic limitations, I was unable to let him go because he had Veldspar in his cargo hold, which was forbidden by a New Halaima Ordinance.

"Oh I can just eject that, do you want me to?" asked the helpful freighter.

"Oh I wouldn't want you to do that, you'd be out 600m and besides, I wouldn't want you to lose any more ISK before my superiors can advise me on what to do." I paused. "What I could do is allow you to dock, and then remove the ore from your cargohold, wait for my superior to process the ore and then return it to you."

"Sure! That sounds great!" responded the helpful freighter pilot.

"There is just one problem though, and it's mostly a problem of trust. I need you to send me the value of your freighter so I can be sure that you will hand it over once you dock, and not just log off. I will need you to send me 1.7 billion ISK."

After receiving the 1.7 billion ISK collateral fee, I allowed the helpful freighter pilot to dock in the top station of Sivala. Anti-Gankers rejoiced in local, and I let them have that victory as I docked up with the helpful freighter pilot and accepted the trade of his Charon and it's total cargo. Total ISK value: 3.7b

**I knew he could pay the 1.7B Collateral because I had asked him to link me the 300m ransom wallet transaction, which has his current wallet value in it. If he couldn't get all of it, I would have asked for as much as he could have paid.**

Chapter Two

After explaining to the helpful former freighter pilot the motivations of The CODE Alliance and the Greater New Order Community I told him that I was unable to start the '24 hour lockout period' while the helpful former freighter pilot had mining skills still trained. I told him to go to Jita and extract them, and we'd even trade him the injectors back after the 24 hour lockout period (that I had just made up). He gladly extracted the skills, as he claimed he wasn't a miner anyway. He accidentally let slip that he had multiple accounts, and he was told to extract the mining skills from his other account as well, and he happily obliged.

"Alright, I extracted all of my mining skills and traded them to [you.]" said the helpful former freighter pilot.

"Alright, now that you've extracted all of your mining and reprocessing skills I'd like you to take a screenshot of your character sheet just for us to confirm, and then you'll have your stuff back." I replied.

"Oh I didn't do the reprocessing skills, I'll get right on that! Can I borrow 30 more extractors?"

This same process went on several times. I initially only asked for the Mining Barge, Mining, and Mining drone skills, but I expanded that slowly to all skills I could reasonably link to mining. I started off with reprocessing (because you reprocess ore, duh) and then the Mining Boost skills, and then eventually to all of the anchoring skills and his Industrial and Freighter skills. This process was slow and took hours, as he was only capable of doing one injector per minute, which means we waited for over 3 hours for this process. Total ISK value: ~100b

Chapter Three

I thought we should take a break from the repetitive excuses we've been using to take the helpful former freighter pilot's Skill Points, and we swapped to assets. The segue for this was that I had noticed he had a Hulk in his inventory in one of his screenshots and told him we needed to confiscate all mining equipment he had, be it an Orca or Procurer. As I didn't have any better way since API was disabled and I don't have an ESI version of Jacknife, I simply had to rely on him screenshotting his assets, and then sending them to me if he had 'illegal goods' in station. We eventually broadened the criteria for 'Mining Equipment' as we kept going over his assets until all things like citadels, ore, minerals, suspected finished products, capital components, and even a Kronos with a mining laser on it was in my hangar.

"I didn't want to look through all of my items one by one, and since I'm getting them all back in 24 hours anyway I don't mind giving you guys extra stuff. Here you guys go!

Chapter Four

After spending a couple of hours getting assets, we figured we'd go back and get more skill points. We pretty much did the exact thing above, except I had one of my other participants talk to the helpful former freighter pilot. My associate was able to convince the helpful former freighter pilot to extract ALL of his leadership skills, as the base leadership skill (that is a prerequisite to all leadership skills) gives a range bonus to mining links. He also got him to extract all of his trade skills, as those are used to trade his mined and produced goods. He also got him to extract down "Science" to zero, which is a prerequisite for many skills, like Cybernetics. Cybernetics is required to have implants, so bye bye. He also said Jury Rigging skills are required to build rigs, so those went into my wallet as well.

During this, I spent a bunch of time looking at the helpful former freighter pilot's assets and requesting him give me certain high value assets in a couple of his stations. He was getting less and less enthusiastic and we could tell.

Total ISK value: ~50b

Chapter Five

At this point, the helpful former freighter pilot had went through every single conceivable set of mental gymnastics we could create, and he still had a bunch of skill points and assets that could be claimed. We were just going to break the scam to him when SIEGFRIED COHENBERG messages me on discord.

"Globby what the gently caress is wrong with you? are you still scamming that guy? It's been like 8 hours"

After briefing SIEGFRIED COHENBERG on our mental block, he comes into channel loud and proud.

"So I was told what's going on here Mister [helpful former freighter pilot]. Why aren't you going to give us all of your stuff?" boasted SIEGFRIED COHENBERG.

"Well I don't have to-"

"Why aren't you giving us your last skill points? You really should." SIEGFRIED COHENBERG spergs.

"I'm tired, I want to go to bed and my fiance-"

"Listen, this is a hypothetical but what would you rather lose, a freighter carrying 600 mil of Veldspar, or everything that you own?"

"What-"

"What I'm saying is, give us all of your stuff because you need to show full faith to the CODE."

In this remarkable display of stupidity genius , somehow SIEGFRIED COHENBERG convinces the guy to liquidate the last few assets he has left, mainly the 8 billion ISK in buy orders, the 60 million remaining skill points he has left on his two characters, the 8 bil in [REDACTED] he had and he ended up transferring every single asset he has in the entire game. Literally what the gently caress.

The liquid after paying out 40b to other participants.

Total: Just under 300b.

The moral of the story is I guess thank god for Anti-Gankers, because I would've just bricked the guy and left but they convinced me to make over 1400x the profit (but I guess it did take 12 hours.)

v nice

i had no idea that you were globby too :v: