Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
:thunk:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

of all the polls that need basic filter questions up front, this one’s near the top, and you can probably guess whether they asked them lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

And I guess the 35 to 54 bracket was not statistically significant? Or is there just an underlying trend of leaving gen x'ers out of these Fox polls?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Zil posted:

And I guess the 35 to 54 bracket was not statistically significant? Or is there just an underlying trend of leaving gen x'ers out of these Fox polls?

have to imagine it's because gen x doesn't matter

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

3 posted:

same with planetes since one of its major themes is the spaceborne nations accelerating exploitation of non-spaceborne nations in order to develop new resource bases and the radicals actually win their demands against space-nato at the end calling for more equal distribution of space resources; likewise debris collection being necessary for future space development but since there's no profit margin no one wants to actually do it

The context for this image is that this guy comes from a South American country that's being invaded by the UN for some reason or other, and the factory where his "budget" spaceship that's basically just an upscaled spacesuit just got blown up by a tank. Planetes is the most Third Worldist anime ever. The Global North isn't just hoarding all the gains of space development, they're actively keeping the third world underdeveloped. Letting space be developed according to the sociopathic logic of capitalism leads to nightmarish situations. Characters introduced earlier in the show dreaming of living in space end up as virtual slave labor in the slums of the Moon while working on the Jupiter exploration vessel.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
planetes owns

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

bernie's inheritance was of an amount that pooling it with their savings, it allowed for he, his wife, and his brother to together buy a piece of undeveloped woodland to camp in for $2,500, equivalent of $20,000 in 2019 dollars.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

exmarx posted:

have to imagine it's because gen x doesn't matter

I'm right on the cusp of being Gen X, there are changing definitions and some claim me to be Millennial and the whole mess is infuriating

I was born in 1980 and I definitely identify more with Gen X but I was in college during 9/11 so I'm part of the lost generation so I have the suck on both sides

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I'm Ropes of Sandy Ejaculate

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm right on the cusp of being Gen X, there are changing definitions and some claim me to be Millennial and the whole mess is infuriating

I was born in 1980 and I definitely identify more with Gen X but I was in college during 9/11 so I'm part of the lost generation so I have the suck on both sides

Well friend welcome to the club, we are actually known as The Oregon Trail generation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/xennial-generation-characteristics

It's a weird group to be in because you get both the experience of knowing a world before social media and being always online, but you're young enough to have gotten in on the first wave around college/late 20s. But hey Oregon Trail is a great game.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Verisimilidude posted:

https://twitter.com/lydiaburrell/status/1101962515855097856?s=21

Watching my new favorite anime “Great President! Donald Trump Go” on Crunchyroll
*in Mexican soccer fan voice* PUTUS!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/markwby/status/1101695099283668998?s=21

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

lol, that's me. Was a national merit finalist but dropped out because of health problems.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

What infuriates you? It's literally just a marketing term. Your generation has nothing to do with who you are as a person. It doesn't have to define your identity. It's a mess because it literally doesn't matter in the slightest.

To use a relevant generational cultural reference, you are not your generation for the same reason you are your loving khakis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPSblh7osjU

The I day I first associate myself with any marketing slogan dreamed up to sell energy drinks is the day I put myself out of my misery.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Half of them are just autism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fermun posted:

bernie's inheritance was of an amount that pooling it with their savings, it allowed for he, his wife, and his brother to together buy a piece of undeveloped woodland to camp in for $2,500, equivalent of $20,000 in 2019 dollars.

shampagna!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It makes sense in retrospect how Tyler Durden would become popular with CHUDs, when his solution to neoliberal dystopia was founding gay communes where nobody fucks.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dreddout posted:

lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It makes sense in retrospect how Tyler Durden would become popular with CHUDs, when his solution to neoliberal dystopia was founding gay communes where nobody fucks.

literally the only good part of the Fight Club sequel is when the Chud therapist tries to become the new Tyler and immediately upon doing so finds himself pathetic and unworthy and blows his own brains out.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1101885766966411265?s=21

CPAC is literally just your republican aunt’s Facebook wall come to life

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I just assume Jordan Peterson recycles Fight Club quotes and restates the themes but I will never be able to confirm this theory as I will never under any circumstance read anything he has ever written or ever listen to anything he has said.

I admit I don't understand much about identity politics. I don't relate very strongly with any of the identities I have been assigned since birth. But I am especially puzzled to see the way people embrace identities based around arbitrary year delimiters designated by cellphone salespersons to facilitate the creation of targeted advertising. I usually tell myself nobody is so shallow as to actually relate with these caricatures of a social group, but sometimes I have nagging doubts

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Squalid posted:

I admit I don't understand much about identity politics. I don't relate very strongly with any of the identities I have been assigned since birth. But I am especially puzzled to see the way people embrace identities based around arbitrary year delimiters designated by cellphone salespersons to facilitate the creation of targeted advertising. I usually tell myself nobody is so shallow as to actually relate with these caricatures of a social group, but sometimes I have nagging doubts

tribalism is a sonuvabitch and we all buy into external identities all the time whether we realize it or not

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

What infuriates you? It's literally just a marketing term. Your generation has nothing to do with who you are as a person. It doesn't have to define your identity. It's a mess because it literally doesn't matter in the slightest.

To use a relevant generational cultural reference, you are not your generation for the same reason you are your loving khakis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPSblh7osjU

The I day I first associate myself with any marketing slogan dreamed up to sell energy drinks is the day I put myself out of my misery.

I know it's stupid to complain about demographic definitions but what really pisses me off is that it keeps changing, which somehow makes it even less meaningful

it peeves me more than it should

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Blendy posted:

Well friend welcome to the club, we are actually known as The Oregon Trail generation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/xennial-generation-characteristics

It's a weird group to be in because you get both the experience of knowing a world before social media and being always online, but you're young enough to have gotten in on the first wave around college/late 20s. But hey Oregon Trail is a great game.

whoa what the gently caress

I just wanted to die of fording a river in peace why do you have to put me in a box

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dreddout posted:

medically diagnosed annoying doesn't mean less annoying

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Chard posted:

tribalism is a sonuvabitch and we all buy into external identities all the time whether we realize it or not

(nearly?) all personal markers of identity are defined retaliative to humanity as a whole or have socially defined definitions that lack most meaning outside of context

even something as benign as "i like apples" only makes sense relative to the standards of your peers; in a society where everyone is fanatically devoted to apple consumption, our standards for "liking apples" would be akin to hating it, or would be so alien a concept to lack any meaning

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

(nearly?) all personal markers of identity are defined retaliative to humanity as a whole or have socially defined definitions that lack most meaning outside of context

even something as benign as "i like apples" only makes sense relative to the standards of your peers; in a society where everyone is fanatically devoted to apple consumption, our standards for "liking apples" would be akin to hating it, or would be so alien a concept to lack any meaning

if you were raised by apes you'd still probably have an opinion on apples and everything else you eat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the generational politics, mostly on the younger end, exist as much because people of certain age cohorts are finding they have a lot of problems in common, and can be a rebellion against capitalist atomisation of the individual's problems.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

if you were raised by apes you'd still probably have an opinion on apples and everything else you eat

probably a stronger point would be that even if you were "raised" alone, deserted on an (apple bearing) island you'd have an opinion on apples; but more to point, it wouldn't really be a thing you thought of as a means of personal identity. we don't tell other people that we don't like eating plastic because thats just totally normal and expected and really can't be used to define you either as an individual or a member of a group. sure, if pressed, you'd go "yeah I don't like eating plastic" but its kind of a weird thing to remark upon, like "i enjoy breathing air". even if you enjoyed apples more than anything, would it really be something you'd find remarkable enough to notice if you totally lacked any social context to place it?

tbf it was an intentional rhetorical overreach on my part but its for real kind of hard to fathom what it'd be like to actually have no social context for even basic things like opinions on food.

identities are weird; im not sold on the idea that its so much tribalism as something ingrained with how we define everything in the world that bleeds into our social spheres. even calling yourself "totally average and normal" only has a means of defining you as distinct from those that have distinction. there are "objective" ways to measure and quantify stuff but when we lack relative standards for understanding things it starts to get very difficult to get a bead on things; people can intuitively grasp the difference between one and one hundred, but its inexplicably harder when its a million and a billion. just something about the human mental process or something that drives us to define based on comparisons and distinctions, but idk, im a pontificating fuckhead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure animals can and do have favourite foods, ask any pet owner.

Though in that specific case I wonder if it's because eating is a very social activity for humans in particular.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squalid posted:

You're confused because these aren't "identities" that people embrace, but demographics which can be measured and which have material interests that can be plotted and advertised to. Bridging the gap between a consumptive demographic and an identity based around that consumption is what the cultivation of nerd culture is all about. You can't relate with that infographic because you're not in a position to buy a house or buy a car. It's not meant for people to relate to, it's meant for advertising goblins.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I guess you could say a "favorite" food is favorite relative to other things but I guess its also not that remarkable of an idea that basically all measurements and means of ordering/sorting data have to done via comparisons and relative relationships to something else. But if the favorite food is unusual, we like to use it as a marker to define our pet's uniqueness.

Here have something ghastly instead of me babbling

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Remember white man, you come from a long line of pederasts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also people who all murdered each other for being heathens.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Also aside from the Romans, dudes that had at best a minor hot streak and then proceeded to lose and become utterly irrelevant.

Except also Rome was cosmopolitan as gently caress and the eastern half outlived the "european" half by over 900 years, whoops

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Also aside from the Romans, dudes that had at best a minor hot streak and then proceeded to lose and become utterly irrelevant.

Except also Rome was cosmopolitan as gently caress and the eastern half outlived the "european" half by over 900 years, whoops

Th.. That doesn't count they cheated!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Greece is already covered by le epic Molon Labe man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Greece is already covered by le epic Molon Labe man

spartans lol