Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Push El Burrito posted:

Supernatural is kinda cheating since they literally had an episode where they read weird fanfiction about themselves.

Then there's the episode where they become Scooby-Doo fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

House is the first show I ever saw that turned into bad fanfiction of itself while it was still on air.

It's insane how much that show escalated. I recently rewatched the pilot and was surprised that initially House is just kinda a grumpy dude with a limp. Cut to the end of the second last season where he literally drives his car through his ex-girlfriends dining room, nearly murdering his best friend, ex girlfriend and her baby.*

I think after season 3 (when half the regulars left - and ultimately returned because the show could never commit to change) people were just watching it for Hugh Laurie. And maybe Robert Sean Leonard

*And, despite going to jail, this is still shrugged off as House just being House.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GetBehindTheMule posted:

It's insane how much that show escalated. I recently rewatched the pilot and was surprised that initially House is just kinda a grumpy dude with a limp. Cut to the end of the second last season where he literally drives his car through his ex-girlfriends dining room, nearly murdering his best friend, ex girlfriend and her baby.*

I didn't even watch that far. I gave up when they had him turn up in a mental hospital in the season opener.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will always hate scrubs because a roomate I had in college would pass out to their dvd of scrubs and when it ended it would loop approximately six seconds of the themesong (basically just "oooWOOOOooo, Im no superman") and it would without fail cause me to wake up early because my brain was like "you are no longer too sleepy to deal with this noise that has been looping for god knows how long, shut it off" and I couldnt because theyd have locked their bedroom door and be so deep asleep literal slamming on the door wouldnt rouse them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Barudak posted:

I will always hate scrubs because a roomate I had in college would pass out to their dvd of scrubs and when it ended it would loop approximately six seconds of the themesong (basically just "oooWOOOOooo, Im no superman") and it would without fail cause me to wake up early because my brain was like "you are no longer too sleepy to deal with this noise that has been looping for god knows how long, shut it off" and I couldnt because theyd have locked their bedroom door and be so deep asleep literal slamming on the door wouldnt rouse them.

DVD menu screens that did not age well: all of them

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Push El Burrito posted:

Supernatural is kinda cheating since they literally had an episode where they read weird fanfiction about themselves.

In Supernatural the whole series is canon fanfiction, complete with conventions, slashfic, fan-made spinoffs, a terrible school theatre production and even an episode where Sam and Dean find themselves on the set of the TV show. It's almost the reverse of a show that didn't age well; leaning into the insanity has kept it entertaining. And now it's lasted 15 seasons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The more I hear about Scrubs the happier I am I missed out on it.

It has its problems but it was and still is a great show with a lot of heart. Its just as you are older you can see the issues it had as time went on. If you get a chance watch seasons 1-5 and Season 8, you won't regret it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Scrubs was good guys.

At it's worst it was still a single camera comedy without a laugh track that managed to be a decently realistic portrayal of hospital life. At its best it was a really good show.

The episode where they went 3 cameras and a laugh track showed how terrible it could have really been.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cox actually seems to make a point of getting along with Carla, especially since she has no tolerance for his bullshit
That's because early on he had an unrequited love subplot going on with her.

BrigadierSensible posted:

House is a show that, to me, is a lot reminiscent of The Mentalist.
Well they are both the exact same formula. It's a Sherlock Holmes style mystery (ie. one the audience is not supposed to be able to solve) with an abrasive genius protagonist - because that's what everyone seems to think Sherlock Holmes was, even though he actually wasn't.

Another issue I have with The Mentalist, is that the rest of the cops have been working with Patrick Jane for however many years, yet still don't understand his ability to cold read people, nor respect his understanding of human nature. They just blindly follow him as he 'magic's his way through an elaborate role play that ends up incriminating the murderer.

I saw an episode of a recent season, and they even had him end up with Robin Tunney's character. The epitome of lazy TV writing, have two main characters end up loving each other.
I guarantee you didn't see a recent season since it ended years ago. It should definitely have ended after season 3 though, with Patrick killing Red John and then turning himself in. The reveal at the start of season four that it actually wasn't Red John was really dumb, and the fact that Patrick somehow (I don't even remember how) got away with it was even dumber. And the last season was almost hilariously bad with how little of a poo poo Simon Baker seemed to give.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jedit posted:

In Supernatural the whole series is canon fanfiction, complete with conventions, slashfic, fan-made spinoffs, a terrible school theatre production and even an episode where Sam and Dean find themselves on the set of the TV show. It's almost the reverse of a show that didn't age well; leaning into the insanity has kept it entertaining. And now it's lasted 15 seasons.

It is the last legacy of the WB network.

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019

Tiggum posted:

It's a Sherlock Holmes style mystery (ie. one the audience is not supposed to be able to solve) with an abrasive genius protagonist - because that's what everyone seems to think Sherlock Holmes was, even though he actually wasn't.

I'd love to know when and how this misconception started, particularly since we're now so inundated with the "intelligence = being a oval office" cliche. I'm assuming it's perpetuated by writers and show-runners who never got over being unpopular nerds in high school.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Krispy Wafer posted:

Scrubs was good guys.

This isn't the "tell an enormous lie straight-faced" thread.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jedit posted:

This. I'm waiting for the inevitable crossover with Legends of Tomorrow.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I fell off Supernatural a number of seasons ago but I always appreciate how often it's willing to just poke fun at itself. A lot of shows could learn to do that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gilmore Girls, Supernatural, Orange is the New Black, arguably Doctor Who but it's kind of all fanfic, just off the top of my head

Community season 4 is a good one

That weird feeling of a show that's just banging pieces together to see what fits.

I go further and say Community season 3 is where it started to go "fanfic"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

House is a show that, to me, is a lot reminiscent of The Mentalist.

Insomuch that House, (or Patrick Jane), is just SO much smarter and cooler, and cleverer, and awesomer etc. than the dum dums he works with. And he is the one who solves the case, and all his character flaws are just shown as quirks that result from his indescribable genius. It got worse as the cases got surreally more intricate and elaborate.

House at least had some character development for House's co-workers, and House suffered the occasional consequence of his arseholery. But it never happened in The Mentalist.

Another issue I have with The Mentalist, is that the rest of the cops have been working with Patrick Jane for however many years, yet still don't understand his ability to cold read people, nor respect his understanding of human nature. They just blindly follow him as he 'magic's his way through an elaborate role play that ends up incriminating the murderer.

I saw an episode of a recent season, and they even had him end up with Robin Tunney's character. The epitome of lazy TV writing, have two main characters end up loving each other.

But Patrick Jane actually does face consequences for his actions. He does think he's the smartest person in the room, but he has overplayed his hand and does get outsmarted. He also routinely fails to get the upper hand on people when it comes to an actual violent confrontation and is actually pretty cowardly in those situations. The first few times I thought it would be some kind of ploy but no, he just legitimately got his rear end kicked and suddenly he doesn't have any smart comments anymore and is actually scared.

Also Agent Cho quickly realizes that Jane is great at reading and manipulating people and instantly believes him. Even the other agents slowly come around in the later seasons.

Not to say that the show didn't have problems, but those 2 points just aren't true at all.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
What the hell is the reasoning behind using the word "fanfiction" if you're referring to the actual shows themselves. Just say they jumped the shark like everyone has been saying since the dawn of time.

My dad loves House and has watched through the entire series maybe four times and it's definitely because he sees himself as the air conditioning repairman version of House.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

duck trucker posted:

I fell off Supernatural a number of seasons ago but I always appreciate how often it's willing to just poke fun at itself. A lot of shows could learn to do that.

The best (or at least the most fun) episodes of Supernatural were always the ones where they got self-aware. I fell off the show too around season 11 or 12 but I fondly remember all the times they’d investigate a TV studio in California and complain about the weather feeling “downright Canadian”.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Casey Finnigan posted:

What the hell is the reasoning behind using the word "fanfiction" if you're referring to the actual shows themselves. Just say they jumped the shark like everyone has been saying since the dawn of time.

Because it's describing a specific kind of jumping the shark.

Unlike television, in real life sometimes people want to discuss details instead of just shouting catchphrases at each other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GetBehindTheMule posted:

I'd love to know when and how this misconception started, particularly since we're now so inundated with the "intelligence = being a oval office" cliche. I'm assuming it's perpetuated by writers and show-runners who never got over being unpopular nerds in high school.

Tv had a turn for a while where jerks were automatically compelling.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Unlike television, in real life sometimes people want to discuss details instead of just shouting catchphrases at each other.

Well, what's the difference then?

e: I mean like I legit don't know what the difference here is. I agree for example that Community fell off in season 4 but it felt like it was cause all the characters were getting one-note and the plots started to become ridiculous/meta/too off-the-wall which is pretty much what I think of when I think of jumping the shark.

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Mar 3, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Well, what's the difference then?

Jumping the shark means that a show's writers ran out of ideas or the premise ran its course or, for whatever reason, it just got poo poo. When people say a show became fanfiction of itself they're usually talking about a the characters becoming more exaggerated versions of themselves where their most popular or iconic traits define them, like they're being written to match the viewer's expectations rather than as complex individuals capable of change.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Tiggum posted:

Jumping the shark means that a show's writers ran out of ideas or the premise ran its course or, for whatever reason, it just got poo poo. When people say a show became fanfiction of itself they're usually talking about a the characters becoming more exaggerated versions of themselves where their most popular or iconic traits define them, like they're being written to match the viewer's expectations rather than as complex individuals capable of change.

Alright that's fair enough.

I loved Scrubs back in the day but Dr. Cox was definitely my least favorite character by far and I'm glad that we're moving away from the "super genius rear end in a top hat white guy" archetype. In retrospect JD was a worse guy but it just sailed right past me at the time. Elliot and Turk were at least decent people as far as I remember.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

House is the first show I ever saw that turned into bad fanfiction of itself while it was still on air.

I still rewatch that show....'s first three seasons. When it was good, it was really good, but when it turned into a soap opera it got dire.

First three seasons are really good, though.

GetBehindTheMule posted:

With House (and stuff like Dr. Cox in Scrubs) I give it a pass though- lots of doctors are really smart and also total douchebags. The cutthroat nature of medical school and getting a residency really doesn't help, and then when you're looking at hospital positions that are both competitive and high pressure, there's gonna be a lot of assholes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Jumping the shark means that a show's writers ran out of ideas or the premise ran its course or, for whatever reason, it just got poo poo.

Jumping the shark is when a show pulls something ridiculous because of that. It’s named for an episode of Happy Days where the Fonz jumped a shark on water skis.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jumping the shark is when a show pulls something ridiculous because of that. It’s named for an episode of Happy Days where the Fonz jumped a shark on water skis.

And I think the show went on for another 5 or so years after that point.

So the show can go on for a very long time after the original premise is exhausted. For a lot of shows 'jumping the shark' means you introduce a baby or new young child to the cast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Casey Finnigan posted:

Most TV shows have such a rapid turnover of writing staff that by the third season they're often written by people who liked the pilot rather than people who worked on it.

The original creators run low on ideas, the money men want to keep the show going, fanfiction becomes a very accurate term.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Have mercy!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was probably 10 years ago that The Simpsons started being written by people younger than The Simpsons.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Well they are both the exact same formula. It's a Sherlock Holmes style mystery (ie. one the audience is not supposed to be able to solve) with an abrasive genius protagonist - because that's what everyone seems to think Sherlock Holmes was, even though he actually wasn't.
House isn't even that good a doctor. He's completely dependent on some random thing happening in order to diagnose someone.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This. I'm waiting for the inevitable crossover with Legends of Tomorrow.

They had a crossover with Scooby-Doo, anything is game

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s never lupus

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alhazred posted:

House isn't even that good a doctor. He's completely dependent on some random thing happening in order to diagnose someone.

Yeah House usually relies on coincidence to diagnose. Like if one completely random thing doesn’t happen he probably misses a diagnosis

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

GetBehindTheMule posted:

Siri, what is a goon's self image?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Then there's the episode where they become Scooby-Doo fanfiction.
That episode was good though, one of very few good Supernatural eps.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

sassassin posted:

Most TV shows have such a rapid turnover of writing staff that by the third season they're often written by people who liked the pilot rather than people who worked on it.

The original creators run low on ideas, the money men want to keep the show going, fanfiction becomes a very accurate term.

Hal Linden discusses this very subject on the last year of Barney Miller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ZdWzK97fg

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Casey Finnigan posted:

Alright that's fair enough.

I loved Scrubs back in the day but Dr. Cox was definitely my least favorite character by far and I'm glad that we're moving away from the "super genius rear end in a top hat white guy" archetype. In retrospect JD was a worse guy but it just sailed right past me at the time. Elliot and Turk were at least decent people as far as I remember.

They're all kind of assholes. Turk is a lot more laid back, and Elliot hides it under her neurosis. JD just comes off as the worst because we get his internal monologue.

Also Cox isn't a super genius, he fucks up a lot, even medically. He also makes life unnecessarily hellish for JD and Elliot. He certainly doesn't sweep in and save the day like House does all the time. In fact, he explicitly refuses to do so on a regular basis.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

oldpainless posted:

It’s never lupus

Except that one time when a magician had it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Yeah, the one thing you can definitely take from Scrubs is that people who work in the medical profession are crazy, and doctors and surgeons are more often than not hugely arrogant assholes. It's not a good show, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I love Two Broke Girls, but I'll be the first to say it's a terrible show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I didn't even watch that far. I gave up when they had him turn up in a mental hospital in the season opener.

That storyline had Andre Braugher as his therapist, and had him rooming with an obnoxious Puerto Rican guy who fancied himself an aspiring rapper.

It was bad, but less-bad than most of the later seasons.