Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1102154241324523521

have some ducks

https://twitter.com/jonrosenberg/status/1102025792102584321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
lol
https://twitter.com/ShaneGorta6/status/1100437576148836352

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

jesus

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wouldn't recommend reading the letters into the newspaper in this twitter thread but its very interesting

https://twitter.com/LeoHickman/status/1101485157851324416
https://twitter.com/LeoHickman/status/1101514304145313792

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

mehall posted:

How in the hell did I not think to post about Autumn during this discussion? I'm a loving idiot. They're great, and literally played better than 99% of people would have. Not just got lucky to get there, but any time on camera you could see them making plays radically different to what an average player would make.

I play a little MtG with my kids and we’d all like to know it a bit better, are there any good sites to learn about what constitutes good play / the meta?

For reference my eldest is loving amazing at chess so I think he could really get into this.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

I play a little MtG with my kids and we’d all like to know it a bit better, are there any good sites to learn about what constitutes good play / the meta?

For reference my eldest is loving amazing at chess so I think he could really get into this.

Channel Fireball and MTG Goldfish has decent articles going over the current Standard meta and what decks are popular

casual play will be less involved than tournament play but you can still learn some of the depth of the plays involved from reading up on it

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

willie_dee posted:

National high school athletics is high level in both track and wrestling, with the ultimate reward for Americans being a scholarship, it doesn't go much beyond that bar the peak level of Olympics because there's no money in either sport.

If it happens a lot I've not heard of it happening, and that might be because it's not newsworthy, but I'd argue that a woman beating a man at anything is indeed newsworthy, like when it made the news recently that a woman broke the UK male record for ultra off road marathon running (or something to that effect) recently.

By your own admission it's not top tier because Olympic athletes would wipe the floor with the high schoolers. It works this way (very little funding outside the Olympics) like Judo, pole jumping, etc.

Again, trans women lose all the time to men in various sports and it isn't reported. When they win 1 in whatever it's a moral panic despite them losing a lot more. The picture of trans women coming in and dominating every competition over the men for eternity simply isn't true for many sports. It also depends how far they are in the transition.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SundayBrunchC4/status/1102152040233484289

:yikes:

https://twitter.com/fiannafailparty/status/1101150105162399745

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 3, 2019

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Not So Fast covered a couple resources, but the other thing to do is find some twitch streamers.
Some of them aren't entertaining, and some of them aren't that good at explaining their plays, but sometimes there's a match of the two, though I'm not sure which ones I can recommend that'll be kid safe in language.

As Not So Fast also said, the question will be "Are we trying to get better at playing our games?" or "Do we want to get better so we can go to events?"

You can get better at both through a lot of similar ways, but if, say, you want to get good at drafting so you can draft every Friday at your LGS, then specific things like Limited Resources will service that better than other things.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
posted without comment

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1102149812282187777

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I too remember when I used to make bets with my friends about whether we could include silly words in our utterly inconsequential exams when I was a teenager.

Wait

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also you're supposed to do it at meetings with the senior management and get actual bad words in there.

Or at least words like prick and moist. Not loving meerkat slogans.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are there any modern tips on how to write for money? I know the pay's generally poo poo and the work's incredibly insecure, but that also seems to apply to everything else presently available to me.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/EL4JC/status/1101989617568530433

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1102142291454640128

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lol if the tiggers run in key Lab-Con marginals and accidentally help Labour win those seats

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

quote:

“Tell me,” the professor continued, “what man needs to know when 28 days have passed?

One that lives next to the sea?

I agree with the aim of that article but lots of the points in it are bollocks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
So what’s causing the Tory lead? Is the anti-semitism starting to have an effect or is it related to recent labour decisions/indecision over a second referendum?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

knox_harrington posted:

One that lives next to the sea?

It's more that there's this big loving white bright thing in the sky at night that empties and fills at a predictable rate forming distinct shapes, so gee whiz I wonder what early mankind is going to use as a calendar

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

So what’s causing the Tory lead? Is the anti-semitism starting to have an effect or is it related to recent labour decisions/indecision over a second referendum?

The fact that nothing they ever do is reported honestly by literally anyone in the media.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Lol if the tiggers run in key Lab-Con marginals and accidentally help Labour win those seats

Conservatives split conservative vote, more at 11.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

It's more that there's this big loving white bright thing in the sky at night that empties and fills at a predictable rate forming distinct shapes, so gee whiz I wonder what early mankind is going to use as a calendar
This is disastrous for Jeremy Corbyn :jewish:

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Ok so it turns out a couple of people I know are Lib Dems, how should I change this other than telling them about how awful their political views are.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

knox_harrington posted:

grauniad.txt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tritsch posted:

Ok so it turns out a couple of people I know are Lib Dems, how should I change this other than telling them about how awful their political views are.

Stop talking to them, they'll still be lib dems but will stop being people you know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tritsch posted:

Depends why they're Lib Dems.

If they think Corbyn's an antisemite or hard left Stalinist, provide sources to counter that.

If they're fubpees, point out that ending austerity is critically important and will improve more lives even if it means a Labour soft brexit.

If they're fans of the Lib Dems good policies like being anti war on drugs or state surveillance, point to Corbyn's track record of opposing Blairite authoritarianism.

If they think the Orange Book is sound economic policy or that they're putting chemicals in the water to turn the fricken frogs gay, :sever:

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Guavanaut posted:

Depends why they're Lib Dems.

If they think Corbyn's an antisemite or hard left Stalinist, provide sources to counter that.

If they're fubpees, point out that ending austerity is critically important and will improve more lives even if it means a Labour soft brexit.

If they're fans of the Lib Dems good policies like being anti war on drugs or state surveillance, point to Corbyn's track record of opposing Blairite authoritarianism.

If they think the Orange Book is sound economic policy or that they're putting chemicals in the water to turn the fricken frogs gay, :sever:

Oh fubees without a doubt, I mean this one person I was speaking to in particular last night is of Dutch origin and I don't even totally disagree with where they are coming from but yeah wealthy white middle class syndrome afoot. I was wearing my official UKMT tshirt last night which might have not helped (Jam man with devils' horns.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

baka kaba posted:

And I'm sorry if I gave the impression I don't think it matters, really - of course it does, and women don't need any more barriers to achievement or being taken seriously, so if I came across that way I'm really sorry....Anyway yeah, tldr I was more talking about that general principle and how we could move towards more equality and inclusivity, I wasn't trying to advocate for actually imposing that on what we have right now, but maybe I sounded too detached so sorry for being a butt

I was probably being a bit arsey, so I'm sorry too. There seems to be a weird clash at the moment between Glinneresque Real Men riding in to protect Real Women as defined by them, and men who hero-worship Eliot Rodger because he sure showed those dogpilling, rights-demanding sluts who's boss. Sometimes I get a bit more defensive than is necessary.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Why is the water turning brown?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Katt posted:

Why is the water turning brown?

Ducks mouths are filthy, presumably.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Are there any modern tips on how to write for money? I know the pay's generally poo poo and the work's incredibly insecure, but that also seems to apply to everything else presently available to me.
write amazon smut. 3k length, $2.99 price point. Pay someone on fiverr to do the cover and blurb, release, write another one. It's not instant money but after a year you'll be getting enough idle income and have more of an idea about self pub that you can move into serialised romance, which is where the money is.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

thespaceinvader posted:

I had a duck try to take one of my eyes once, in retrospect I'm lucky it didn't infect me with something horrendous.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

thespaceinvader posted:

*Incoherent Donald Duck insults*

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

write amazon smut. 3k length, $2.99 price point. Pay someone on fiverr to do the cover and blurb, release, write another one. It's not instant money but after a year you'll be getting enough idle income and have more of an idea about self pub that you can move into serialised romance, which is where the money is.

Amazon smut writers are hilarious for how unrelated the covers are to their work. I assume there's a ton of "sexy woman standing in curtain" you can get the rights to use for like a dollar. or some cover smut pack with tint options.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

If we knew how to turn fubpees into leftists then this country would be very different.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

thespaceinvader posted:

Birds in general are loving filthy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

I was probably being a bit arsey, so I'm sorry too. There seems to be a weird clash at the moment between Glinneresque Real Men riding in to protect Real Women as defined by them, and men who hero-worship Eliot Rodger because he sure showed those dogpilling, rights-demanding sluts who's boss. Sometimes I get a bit more defensive than is necessary.
The Xenofeminist Manifesto seems to have the best take on it (and should probably be in the reading list in the OP in all its eye-watering HTML glory when I update it).

XF posted:

Intersectionality is not the morcellation of collectives into a static fuzz of cross-referenced identities, but a political orientation that slices through every particular, refusing the crass pigeonholing of bodies. This is not a universal that can be imposed from above, but built from the bottom up – or, better, laterally, opening new lines of transit across an uneven landscape. This non-absolute, generic universality must guard against the facile tendency of conflation with bloated, unmarked particulars–namely Eurocentric universalism–whereby the male is mistaken for the sexless, the white for raceless, the cis for the real, and so on. Absent such a universal, the abolition of class will remain a bourgeois fantasy, the abolition of race will remain a tacit white-supremacism, and the abolition of gender will remain a thinly veiled misogyny, even–especially–when prosecuted by avowed feminists themselves.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Am I right in thinking that Fubpees are closet libertarians?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Darth Walrus posted:

if you want a steady income, stick 'technical writer' or 'content writer' into glassdoor and have a nose at the ads. former is better paid, latter has more jobs and is easier to get into.

as bobby says though, if you are confident enough and have enough savings, take a swing at something riskier

e: source for this is people wot i talk to in a the pub

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Azza Bamboo posted:

Thatd imply they have an ideology beyong status-quoism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Nah they're capital L Liberals.

They're demanding that everything go back to 2012 when things were perfect (for them) rather than fix any of the problems and resentment that caused brexit.

Katt posted:

or some cover smut pack with tint options.
Angela Smith and Chuka Umunna in The Tinge of Romance.