Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've never even seen a non-pet rat in my life but I'm more of a gerbil person myself

you would think I'd be a guinea pig person but you'd be wrong!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Rodents of usual size? I'm bitchy about where they exist!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BattleMaster posted:

I've never even seen a non-pet rat in my life but I'm more of a gerbil person myself

you would think I'd be a guinea pig person but you'd be wrong!!!

I also have never seen a wild rat. I've seen a mouse or two. The only rats I've seen were the ones we had as pets.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BattleMaster posted:

it's too cold for them and yet they apparently inhabit all of yukon

it's too cold for them and apparently they inhabit every square meter up to the west and north edges of saskatchewan, but see that alberta border and say "whoa no, i can't cross that I'm illegal there"

edit: it's more like alberta has absolutely nothing else to feel smug about so they have to pretend everyone else gave up on something and they didn't lmbo

edit 2: "*sees rat* oh I can't do anything about that because my province has given up on stopping rats" -what albertans actually believe
I'm sincerely sorry we can't produce omniscient maps of rat existence to downplay the Albertan rat propaganda.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

I also have never seen a wild rat. I've seen a mouse or two. The only rats I've seen were the ones we had as pets.

Even in Toronto I once saw a mouse on the track level of the subway and a couple of times I've seen mice on the street at night but never a rat. Even if you're not a rodent fan you'll know a rat when you see it. I'm sure they're out and about though.

Though maybe I'm just sheltered from the pestilence because I'm still not sure if cockroaches are supposed to look more like grasshoppers or beetles because I've seen depictions of them that look like either, but never in person.

zedprime posted:

I'm sincerely sorry we can't produce omniscient maps of rat existence to downplay the Albertan rat propaganda.

it's just that the northern borders of that range map seem to have some nuance to them but I feel like a perfect alberta-shaped hole is not correct

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cojawfee posted:

I never did in Montana, but they nest in urban Oregon, apparently. I'm convinced that's how my roommate's cat disappeared. The other cat brought a dead one home, and it was easily the same size as the cat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s Alberta’s proudest achievement.

Just let them have it.

They’re damning themselves with faint praise anyway.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BattleMaster posted:

Even in Toronto I once saw a mouse on the track level of the subway and a couple of times I've seen mice on the street at night but never a rat. Even if you're not a rodent fan you'll know a rat when you see it. I'm sure they're out and about though.

Though maybe I'm just sheltered from the pestilence because I'm still not sure if cockroaches are supposed to look more like grasshoppers or beetles because I've seen depictions of them that look like either, but never in person.

it's just that the northern borders of that range map seem to have some nuance to them but I feel like a perfect alberta-shaped hole is not correct

The map shows the number of reported earlier infestations by province. There are warehouses etc in the Yukon and NWT where rats can live and they often need to be reported if caught, especially in facilities handling food. If there are zero reported infestations in Alberta and at least one in each other province the chart is correct.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you think about it, an ultraprecise map would show only the bodies of the rats.

At a global scale, that’s indistinguishable from no rats anywhere.

For my next feat: a population density map should depict only dwellings. No one lives in the middle of Fifth Avenue.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Moist von Lipwig posted:

The map shows the number of reported earlier infestations by province. There are warehouses etc in the Yukon and NWT where rats can live and they often need to be reported if caught, especially in facilities handling food. If there are zero reported infestations in Alberta and at least one in each other province the chart is correct.

I don't think that's what it's describing because then there wouldn't be wavyish borders in Alaska, Nunavut, and Russia, and there are also no numbers on it

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Man, Norway has taken a real beating the last couple pages.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This might be of interest.

As far as I know, this is the only publicly-available photograph of plutonium tetrafluoride in existence. There's a man named Martin Pfeiffer who is currently in the last throes of a PhD in the anthropology of nuclear weapons, who has a modest budget for FOIA requests and has networked himself a decent little group of contacts in the nuclear weapons-adjacent industries. The photographer, who will remain anonymous at the moment, comes well credentialed to confirm that they took a photo of this hell-powder to assist Martin with his studies.

I contacted Martin at his Patreon to confirm I had his permission to post this, and if you want to check out what he's up to you can find his page here:

https://www.patreon.com/nuclearanthro/overview

He also has a very thread-relevant twitter feed here:

https://twitter.com/NuclearAnthro

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Memento posted:

As far as I know, this is the only publicly-available photograph of plutonium tetrafluoride in existence. There's a man named Martin Pfeiffer who is currently in the last throes of a PhD in the anthropology of nuclear weapons, who has a modest budget for FOIA requests and has networked himself a decent little group of contacts in the nuclear weapons-adjacent industries. The photographer, who will remain anonymous at the moment, comes well credentialed to confirm that they took a photo of this hell-powder to assist Martin with his studies.

I contacted Martin at his Patreon to confirm I had his permission to post this, and if you want to check out what he's up to you can find his page here:

Looks like some serious cocoa powder.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does the USA still manufacture plutonium for nuclear weapons? Or do we just reuse the stuff from old cores whenever we need to make new ones?

Like, I can't imagine that the cores would just get sealed up and buried or whatever, but at the same time there isn't much use for it other than bombs. Can you just melt it down and reuse it, or does it have a shelf life?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 3, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Does the USA still manufacture plutonium for nuclear weapons? Or do we just reuse the stuff from old cores whenever we need to make new ones?

Like, I can't imagine that the cores would just get sealed up and buried or whatever, but at the same time there isn't much use for it other than bombs. Can you just melt it down and reuse it, or does it have a shelf life?

They quit for a long time, but they've started up again because NASA needs it for nuclear thermoelectric generators on its space probes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

His boots remain underground to this day...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kluzvEPuAug

My local version of OSHA is making their own CG videos about incidents.

I am a geotechnical professional and this video owns.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 3, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

The half-life of Pu-239 is long enough that the core can just be taken out of old weapons and used in new ones for a very long time, so unless there are plans to increase weapon stocks no more will need to be made and supposedly not very much of it is being made anymore. The part of the weapons that have to be continuously manufactured to maintain or build new weapons is the D-T secondary stage, and projects like National Ignition Facility exist to test those without having to detonate real nuclear bombs.

There are concepts for getting rid of unwanted Pu-239 by diluting it with depleted uranium ("mixed-oxide" or "MOX" fuel) so it approximates the properties of enriched uranium for reactor use but I don't know how much of that has ever been made and burned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Memento posted:

What about it? Googling plutonium tetrafluoride just brings up chemistry websites.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Deteriorata posted:

They quit for a long time, but they've started up again because NASA needs it for nuclear thermoelectric generators on its space probes.

Is that so? It's good because Pu-238 RTGs are a pretty valuable tool for space probes and I was worried those would no longer be a thing with the lack of fuel production. Here's an article from december about it - as of last year NASA is just about out of it so the sooner production resumes the better

Though Pu-238 isn't made in the same way as Pu-239 so there isn't any overlap in weapons programs and RTG fuel programs. Pu-239 can be separated from reactor fuel waste or made by irradiating depleted uranium with neutrons and then chemically-separating it, while Pu-238 is made from neutron irradiation of certain waste isotopes from reactor fuel.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 3, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do any of the US weapons still use polonium in the initiators, or have they all gone to fusion-based ones?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Lone Badger posted:

Do any of the US weapons still use polonium in the initiators, or have they all gone to fusion-based ones?

It's my understanding that Po-Be initiators stopped being used decades ago and the current tech is based on electrostatic acceleration (so presumably fusion, since that's the easiest way to get neutrons out of an accelerator)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

it's too cold for them and yet they apparently inhabit all of yukon

it's too cold for them and apparently they inhabit every square meter up to the west and north edges of saskatchewan, but see that alberta border and say "whoa no, i can't cross that I'm illegal there"

edit: it's more like alberta has absolutely nothing else to feel smug about so they have to pretend everyone else gave up on something and they didn't lmbo

edit 2: "*sees rat* oh I can't do anything about that because my province has given up on stopping rats" -what albertans actually believe

I'm not from Alberta but a jurisdiction taking steps to prevent an invasive species from causing problems seems like a good thing and I dunno why you're so mad about that.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

RPG Starting Town NPC posted:

Howdy! You like the adventuring type, I have a little quest for you if you have the time, nothing big. You see, we've got a little issue down in the basement, a bit of an infesta..... uh, you wouldn't happen to be from Alberta would you?
Oh, you are... ah well, never mind, sorry to bother you.
No, there's nothing going on, everything's fine. No rats or anything... did I say rats? Ha ha, don't know why that came to mind. They're actually mice, I swear!
PLEASE GOD DON'T BURN DOWN MAH HOUSE!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8nLwyXu5g8&t=23s

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

It's my understanding that Po-Be initiators stopped being used decades ago and the current tech is based on electrostatic acceleration (so presumably fusion, since that's the easiest way to get neutrons out of an accelerator)

Some of the US nukes are decades old though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jemand posted:

If you do not use the nitrite salt, you get botulism cured meats which is nice and osha on its own.

Here's a lovely blog which not only gives great instructions on how to make wonderful homemade bacon, but has a nice footnote explainer about nitrites, botulism, meat, etc: https://nwedible.com/you-can-make-bacon-at-home/

Here's a post complaining about the "no nitrites added" consumer labels, which always just use celery juice (in order not to kill you from botulism): http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/

Lastly, just for botulism avoidance completeness, here's a nice graphical approach to learning how to can things without killing people: https://nwedible.com/how-not-to-die-from-botulism-what-home-canners-need-to-know-about-the-worlds-most-deadly-toxin/

A traditional christmas food in Finland is the ham and christmas ham in finland is often different because it's only salted and thus grey. The ham can be bought in stores, but loads of people cure their own hams. It's then oven baked to some temp, depending on your tastes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Soyuz needs OSHA.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cojawfee posted:

What about it? Googling plutonium tetrafluoride just brings up chemistry websites.

Yeah, wondering this too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's four times as bad as plutonium fluoride.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thumposaurus posted:

Beginning of this starts slow but soon they start showing the wonders of this new discovery asbestos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZReMAnky1Q

rofl @ 0:45

"the rush started. White men, Back men, and Chinese coolies came to pan gold :psyduck:

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

A traditional christmas food in Finland is the ham and christmas ham in finland is often different because it's only salted and thus grey. The ham can be bought in stores, but loads of people cure their own hams. It's then oven baked to some temp, depending on your tastes.

Interesting. The botulism toxin itself is destroyed by heat, maybe this method is safe because of the traditional oven baking afterward? Apparently only 5 minutes at 185°F is enough, per wikipedia, but I don't know the relationship of heat vs. time on this, lower temp for longer might be fine, to a point. Salt-only corned beef is also a thing, apparently, but since this is often boiled before eating, the same principle applies. The toxin is a very different thing than spores-- such low temperatures would never kill spores and food not immediately eaten afterward would then get dangerous over time as the bacteria grew. The toxin is what's deadly though, for adults at least, so destroying it via heat prior to eating the food would be fine. But infants who eat spores can have them germinate in the digestive tract and produce toxin right there (this is why babies under 1 shouldn't have honey).

Perhaps also there's a higher salt content in the first place? Something closer to traditional salted meat than modern cured meat, which may also explain it. Anyway, this has caused me to read up about historic meat storage techniques again, and the different health recommendations in different nations. While the US seems to primarily highlight avoidance of botulism risk and stress using nitrites to do this, that doesn't seem to be universal.

Other botulism notes: beware garlic infused oils-- the garlic itself in such a case can provide a place for the bacteria to grow & produce toxins. These oils thus should be refrigerated and have a short shelf life. Also, in the event you ever wish to follow a traditional native Alaskan recipe for fermented meats, never use a plastic or glass container, go all in on the historical method of "grass lined pit." https://www.cdc.gov/botulism/botulism-alaska-foods.html

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nice to read this as the spacex capsule just makes it’s first successful ISS docking (unmanned).

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

bring back old gbs posted:

rofl @ 0:45

"the rush started. White men, Back men, and Chinese coolies came to pan gold :psyduck:

I have a phobia of Back men

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jemand posted:

Interesting. The botulism toxin itself is destroyed by heat, maybe this method is safe because of the traditional oven baking afterward? Apparently only 5 minutes at 185°F is enough, per wikipedia, but I don't know the relationship of heat vs. time on this, lower temp for longer might be fine, to a point. Salt-only corned beef is also a thing, apparently, but since this is often boiled before eating, the same principle applies. The toxin is a very different thing than spores-- such low temperatures would never kill spores and food not immediately eaten afterward would then get dangerous over time as the bacteria grew. The toxin is what's deadly though, for adults at least, so destroying it via heat prior to eating the food would be fine. But infants who eat spores can have them germinate in the digestive tract and produce toxin right there (this is why babies under 1 shouldn't have honey).

Perhaps also there's a higher salt content in the first place? Something closer to traditional salted meat than modern cured meat, which may also explain it. Anyway, this has caused me to read up about historic meat storage techniques again, and the different health recommendations in different nations. While the US seems to primarily highlight avoidance of botulism risk and stress using nitrites to do this, that doesn't seem to be universal.

Other botulism notes: beware garlic infused oils-- the garlic itself in such a case can provide a place for the bacteria to grow & produce toxins. These oils thus should be refrigerated and have a short shelf life. Also, in the event you ever wish to follow a traditional native Alaskan recipe for fermented meats, never use a plastic or glass container, go all in on the historical method of "grass lined pit." https://www.cdc.gov/botulism/botulism-alaska-foods.html

Fun facts: there's bacteria that survives our sterilization procedures in hospitals!

Ok, that's not the whole truth. The reality is it's that hot spring bacteria, and it goes dormant at human body temperatures. We're too cold for it to harm us.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Lemme throw up some scans of my all-time greatest ever thrift store score and maybe the chemists among you will find answers within.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

shame on an IGA posted:

Lemme throw up some scans of my all-time greatest ever thrift store score and maybe the chemists among you will find answers within.

Yes, and you call them scans despite the fact that they are obviously phone camera photos.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Does exposure to plutonium tetrafluoride cause autism?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nenonen posted:

Exactly backwards.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

shame on an IGA posted:

Table 12.15: Solubility of PuF3 in HNO3-HF mixtures

:ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nenonen posted:

I mean it's neat, but, uhmm, I think there's a chemistry thread in the academic subforum. I think, where it might be appreciated better.