Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

slidebite posted:

Question about mouth-guards - since it's not really the kind of thing you can try out ahead of time is there any kind of a consensus on best kind/type/brand?

I gag on bulky mouth guards but have used SISUs for years with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I use a SISU mouthguard for BJJ and it seems fine. I bought a few bulkier ones before that and hated trying to breath with them.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Get a bunch of £1 boil and bite ones.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Actually the dentist isn't a bad idea. I can live with it costing a few bucks as long as it's good. I'll give them a call next week. Have a tournament coming up next month and I really should have one anyhow.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I used the medium range boil and bites, they cost like $25 or something. I'm sure I could get better, but I don't even notice it my mouth anymore and its definitely saved me from a few knees to the jaw.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

slidebite posted:

Question about mouth-guards - since it's not really the kind of thing you can try out ahead of time is there any kind of a consensus on best kind/type/brand?

I have a Gladiator Pro, and I can't imagine a better mouthguard. Sticks to your teeth and doesn't interfere with talking or breathing.

sivad fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 17, 2019

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I really like my sisu mouth guard. I've taken a few accidental knees to the jaw and been completely fine, never had any problems. For the price it's amazingly comfortable and easy to deal with, but a custom one from your dentist will probably be marginally better.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I use a $1 boil and bite and it’s been just fine for BJJ, Muay Thai and MMA. Probably time to get another one though... it’s been a number of years.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
My current group doesn't do contact practice, but protective gear is the kind of thing where Is rather pay premium, even if it's only a marginal benefit. You'll miss those teeth when they're gone and getting replacements is even more expensive in the long run.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cardiovorax posted:

but protective gear is the kind of thing where Is rather pay premium, even if it's only a marginal benefit.

I would caution to people who've not tried various types of mouthguards that fit doesn't necessarily correlate with cost. You can sometimes just nail the shape on a boil and bite, and it'll fit just as good as one made with a mold. For someone starting out, I'd go with a $20 3-pack of boil-and-bites and see how those work with your particular teeth situation.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Cardiovorax posted:

My current group doesn't do contact practice, but protective gear is the kind of thing where Is rather pay premium, even if it's only a marginal benefit. You'll miss those teeth when they're gone and getting replacements is even more expensive in the long run.

it's not just teeth, it's also the state of your head. You can't clench your jaw adequately when it's tooth on tooth. Can't count the number of times I've caught a knee to the jaw or something similar and was able to make my head solid by biting down on my mouthguard. Frank Mir's last fight he lost his mouthguard and tapped to strikes standing after like 3 punches to the face.

Jesus, now that i think about it, let along your tongue. Imagine getting kicked in the jaw with your tongue between your top and bottom teeth.

Buddy_Cthulhu
Jun 10, 2005

Lasagna Pilot posted:

1) What is the go-to youtube for basic BJJ technique? They have us noobs rolling and I feel like I don't have enough committed to memory to get proper practice out of that yet, I remember how to pass guard into armbar and how to shrimp out of trouble and that's about it

I'd say don't worry about that too much. Early sparring is just building character and learning not to panic and spaz out. Focus on trying to accomplish whatever you learned that day, or getting back to a position you are more comfortable in so that you can do that thing. If you are both super noobs, I'd suggest maybe doing positional sparring, one of you starting in whatever guard you are working on and resetting as needed. If you're going with someone who's got more time under their belt, if they aren't being a dick they'll probably get you controlled or go into a guard they're working on and then start walking you through what you need to do if you seem lost.

If you must do something on your own, maybe stick to these. A lot of these movements are pretty foundational and it will help in general to get them into your muscle memory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T41SAh1lsuA

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

olylifter posted:

Imagine getting kicked in the jaw with your tongue between your top and bottom teeth.
:stonk: I think I'd rather not. Ouch. But yeah, always wear protection. It only takes once to make you regret it if you don't.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’ve known quite a few people who’ve said “ah we’re only grappling I don’t need a gumshield” and then at some point in the following years they’ve lost at least part of a tooth due to an accidental impact.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

olylifter posted:

Jesus, now that i think about it, let along your tongue. Imagine getting kicked in the jaw with your tongue between your top and bottom teeth.
I discovered that I have a habit of biting my lower lip when doing a high power move, kick or punch.

That is a habit that I really, really want to break.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Jerome Louis posted:

You can also order kits online for custom ones that are about $100 without insurance. I have one from https://gladiatorguards.com which is pretty decent but avoid the gimmicky power grip stuff.

Re: mouthpiece chat, I have a gladiator and it fits really well. Would buy again. If you're on the mat, you should have a guard in, imo. The gladiator kit is a little fiddly, but like I said, it fits well, even though I wasn't sure about my imprint. The nice thing is, they have it "on file" and can just send me another guard, if I need one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From yesterday's UFC event:
https://streamable.com/fol1r
One of the most poetic counters I've seen.

gif versions:
https://i.imgur.com/nMYpwjK.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/HazudxW.mp4

As a southpaw, one of the tactical defenses I have to someone in orthodox who's really hunting with his cross is to throw the rear high kick. Either to keep his hands back in guard or to tangle the cross with my kicking leg. And if I'm slow to put the kick up, I'm hoping to block/tangle with that feinted cross that you see leading the kick.

Here, that counter cross completely drills through the obstacles and lands on the chin. There's not a huge reach advantage here, but I would say the high kick was thrown a little close, at least for the defensive purposes I'm talking about.
I don't swing my rear arm to the side as much you see here exactly to avoid leaving the straight shot to my head open, but that's really just crossing your fingers, not a reliable defense.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

kimbo305 posted:

From yesterday's UFC event:
https://streamable.com/fol1r
One of the most poetic counters I've seen.

gif versions:
https://i.imgur.com/nMYpwjK.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/HazudxW.mp4

As a southpaw, one of the tactical defenses I have to someone in orthodox who's really hunting with his cross is to throw the rear high kick. Either to keep his hands back in guard or to tangle the cross with my kicking leg. And if I'm slow to put the kick up, I'm hoping to block/tangle with that feinted cross that you see leading the kick.

Here, that counter cross completely drills through the obstacles and lands on the chin. There's not a huge reach advantage here, but I would say the high kick was thrown a little close, at least for the defensive purposes I'm talking about.
I don't swing my rear arm to the side as much you see here exactly to avoid leaving the straight shot to my head open, but that's really just crossing your fingers, not a reliable defense.

Much like a video where after seeing someone's shoes fly off you assume them dead, it appears the Martial Arts analogue is the mouthguard...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Had my first "real" (outside) tournament this past weekend at a town a few hours away. I think there was 6 or 7 other schools within 5-6 hours driving distance attending. I am OK with how I placed, second in my division (30+ color belts), but on watching the video my wife took I am very disappointed in my sparring technical ability. I'm basically a 2 or 3 move guy and my only redeeming factor is since I'm thick (5'11 220~) and not scared to take a hit. My typical MOis to wait for someone to make the first move, block (or try to, might take give a point or 3) and then unload in punches to the body and head. If they aren't coming in I'll try to draw them in with one of two simple kicks (which I may or may not score on) but that will likely bring them in unless they're exhausted.

Problem with this is I am not varying techniques worth a poo poo, incredibly predictable, and easily get warnings and penalties out the whazoo because it's very, very easy for me to get called for excessive contact punches. I think had 21 penalty points in my last match (which cost me 1st) because of that.

I need to get way, way, better. Watching people that know their poo poo and then watching yourself on video is an eye-opener. I'm not going to compete again until I feel like I have broken this rut.

Mouth-guard chat: Ended up buying an Bite-tech underarmor guard that actually worked really well. After the boiling and fitting feels great and can talk reasonably well with it in.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

slidebite posted:

Had my first "real" (outside) tournament this past weekend at a town a few hours away. I think there was 6 or 7 other schools within 5-6 hours driving distance attending. I am OK with how I placed, second in my division (30+ color belts), but on watching the video my wife took I am very disappointed in my sparring technical ability. I'm basically a 2 or 3 move guy and my only redeeming factor is since I'm thick (5'11 220~) and not scared to take a hit. My typical MOis to wait for someone to make the first move, block (or try to, might take give a point or 3) and then unload in punches to the body and head. If they aren't coming in I'll try to draw them in with one of two simple kicks (which I may or may not score on) but that will likely bring them in unless they're exhausted.

Problem with this is I am not varying techniques worth a poo poo, incredibly predictable, and easily get warnings and penalties out the whazoo because it's very, very easy for me to get called for excessive contact punches. I think had 21 penalty points in my last match (which cost me 1st) because of that.

I need to get way, way, better. Watching people that know their poo poo and then watching yourself on video is an eye-opener. I'm not going to compete again until I feel like I have broken this rut.

Mouth-guard chat: Ended up buying an Bite-tech underarmor guard that actually worked really well. After the boiling and fitting feels great and can talk reasonably well with it in.

What sport is this?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Traditional TKD

Was chatting with my master a couple days ago and he says I'm being excessively hard on myself and comparing myself to people that are much more experienced and younger for that matter. I'm still not happy, but it did make me feel a bit better. We have a big international tournament coming up next month. I'll probably sign up for point sparring and forgo the continuous until I get some confidence that I've improved.

Took a nice kick to the ribs the other day as well. Don't think I broke any because I can breathe OK without the sharp pain, but putting any weight on my side or core movements smarts pretty well. Trained last night and we started to warm up with some jumping jacks I thought "oh, this is going to be fun" but that was probably the worst, until the end when doing some floor stretches :lol:

In case anyone is curious, here are the medals from the tournament. The club that hosted is an ITF club which is similar to our style (in fact, their master trained with ours when younger), although we are at a disadvantage when we do patterns at their competitions because they do the sine-wave movement thing which we do not, and their judges are looking for it. Still got 3rd in the patterns though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

watching the video my wife took I am very disappointed in my sparring technical ability

Watching yourself on video is really humbling. Everything looks worse than it feels from inside your head. I definitely look much slower than I feel in the moment.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

kimbo305 posted:

Watching yourself on video is really humbling. Everything looks worse than it feels from inside your head. I definitely look much slower than I feel in the moment.

Same. Every time I try recording video of myself I end up just shooting footage of some dumpy bald guy. Its really frustrating.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

Truth.

Haha look at that old fat guy trying t....

poo poo, it's me :smith:

One hell of a class tonight. Our 2nd master taught it and I don't think I have ever finished a class so soaked with sweat. My dobok must have weighed 5 lbs and my belt was completely soaked through all around, only the very ends hanging escaped the sweat barrage. The warmup was a little tougher than average but immediately went into drills... and more drills after drills, very fast paced with no let up intermixed with core exercises. A couple of the junior belts actually left the floor and sat down in the chairs we have for visitors - I've never seen that happen before. Then we geared up and did sparring drills for about 20 minutes, super fast paced and then transitioned into full sparring followed by team point sparring. Stayed afterwards with a green belt to help on pre-arranged stuff (need it for belt testing) and even though I was standing around not really working hard for that half hour, just remained soaked. Put on my street clothes to come home and they got soaked too.

gently caress me. The good thing out of this is knowing that I can actually do this poo poo. 2 years ago, absolutely positively no way. Probably not 25% of it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Judo?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dobok is what Korean martial arts call their uniforms, so I'd guess Taekwondo or Tang soo do (or possibly Hapkido).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes sir, was mentioned just a few posts up so I did not bother to repeat. Traditional TKD.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Started training BJJ last week, it's been fun so far. Great cardio, leave every session drenched. Any generic tips or anything? Videos I should watch? I'm mostly trying to not get choked out, framing up, trying to not get anyone to pass. Getting swept, getting gassed, getting smoked. Been great!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can someone give their opinion on this gym, please?
http://www.championfactory.com/gyms/covington

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Started training BJJ last week, it's been fun so far. Great cardio, leave every session drenched. Any generic tips or anything? Videos I should watch? I'm mostly trying to not get choked out, framing up, trying to not get anyone to pass. Getting swept, getting gassed, getting smoked. Been great!

There's a grappling thread in the Fight Sports sub thread that has tons of resources to look at. Stephen Kesting has a very good Youtube channel for basics and fundamentals. I'd start with concepts and then techniques

Firstborn posted:

Can someone give their opinion on this gym, please?
http://www.championfactory.com/gyms/covington

Credentials are legit enough for the head instructor. He owns a ton of gyms though so I'm not sure who is teaching at that gym based on the website. In theory it's definitely not a McDojo.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

JaySB posted:

Credentials are legit enough for the head instructor. He owns a ton of gyms though so I'm not sure who is teaching at that gym based on the website. In theory it's definitely not a McDojo.

Both times I went it's been Rafael himself at the particular location I like to go to, but he travels around to a few different ones. Not every class is taught by him, but the Monday and Wednesday adult classes I went to were! Thanks! I got a little nervous when I couldn't find his lineage on the website a goon posted a few pages back.

I wish there was Kyokushin in Louisiana. Just Shotokan here. There's a Judo gym nearby, too:
http://olympicjudo.org/About_Us.html
Cheaper, but I dislike night classes with my work schedule.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 16, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Journalist ... doesn't come away with the right lesson about bullshido:
https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/taji-fight-worst-rated-mma-trainer-yelp-one-star-reviews/5c12ce57be407720cc724642

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress vice, not watching

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Both times I went it's been Rafael himself at the particular location I like to go to, but he travels around to a few different ones.
...man, I really need to get some sleep. I read this and I just thought "...the Nina Turtle?" for like five whole seconds without even the slightest bit of humor before it dawned on met that no, he's just called that, even if a travelling kung fu teacher is still pretty close to a ninja turtle. How does he feel about pizza?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Cardiovorax posted:

...man, I really need to get some sleep. I read this and I just thought "...the Nina Turtle?" for like five whole seconds without even the slightest bit of humor before it dawned on met that no, he's just called that, even if a travelling kung fu teacher is still pretty close to a ninja turtle. How does he feel about pizza?

He used to be trim but he says US food made him fat. I live outside of New Orleans, so he's right. Fatjitsu

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Both times I went it's been Rafael himself at the particular location I like to go to, but he travels around to a few different ones. Not every class is taught by him, but the Monday and Wednesday adult classes I went to were! Thanks! I got a little nervous when I couldn't find his lineage on the website a goon posted a few pages back.

I wouldn't sweat it, he's a legit world champion at black belt, that makes him pretty good. As long as you like his instruction and feel comfortable with the other people that are teaching when he's gone, go train and enjoy yourself.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

JaySB posted:

I wouldn't sweat it, he's a legit world champion at black belt, that makes him pretty good. As long as you like his instruction and feel comfortable with the other people that are teaching when he's gone, go train and enjoy yourself.

Thanks!

What did you guys think about the judo club? drat I wish there was Kyokushin here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Judo club looks legit. Ask to stop by and watch or try an intro class.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Just got back from a sport karate tournament (I'm part of an unaffiliated TKD school so we tend to have people compete at sport karate tournaments). A lot of the guys in the adult under-blackbelt division went hard but there was a Kung Fu school that sent students that had zero chill. Hard back leg round kicks to the stomach (which rarely landed on anyone but blocking hard kicks over and over again sucks). Still, it was nice to go to a tournament with decent attendance in the adult under belt range. I came out in 3rd with a by, a loss against the guy who went on to win, and then a win.

I kind of want to get the instructors to spend some nights going over tournament sparring cheese because I saw a lot of kids lose to repeated dive back fists to the head or lunge reverse punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

It looks like it's alright. Not as much classes as I'd like if it were me. Check up with the staff if they have reservations about crosstraining (even if you don't end up crosstraining, knowing how they feel about it is a good thing to clear up front). Looks like a well credentialed staff for gi BJJ.

Edit : upon reading on the schedule, the classes are one hour for your age bracket twice a week. It's not a lot. Depending on price I wouldn't go considering the options on when I could go look really limited.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 19, 2019