Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Power Khan posted:

So my (41M) wife (40F) is a 'Karen'...
[new]
For those not aware - 'Karen' is a stereotype of a middle aged, or approaching middle age, woman who acts as if service industry personnel are subservient to her. She treats sales associates, waiters, and grocery clerks as if they are her personal servants, and her favorite phrase is, "Let me talk to your manager." Physically, she is often described as having short hair like that lady from the reality show with 8 kids, and often dressing somewhat frumpy.

On to my wife. While not adhering the physical description of a Karen, she has the behavior down pat. It just seems over the last 2 or 3 years, every single interaction with service personnel has to escalated to showdown involving a manager and my wife demanding free stuff and/or somebody's job. Unfortunately she usually wins, which I'm assuming is a large part of her continuing this behavior.

We went out to eat last night. She announced she wanted to go out, and as usual the kids and I did our best to talk her in to eating at home. I offered to grill, my daughter offered to make an Italian dish, I suggested I go out and pick up her favorite Chinese and bring it home - all our usual ploys to keep her from unleashing her wrath on some poor waiter who is just trying to do his or her job. No dice. She wants to go out, and she gets what she wants.

It was trouble right off the bat. She laid into the hostess (who looked to be about 15) because we were told 10-15 minute wait and it took 17 minutes. Then she pitched a fit about the table we were sat at. We've been to this restaurant dozens of times and even sat at the very table a few times. Last night it was too small and too close to the bathroom. As always, the manager was called out and this resulted in a table swap and a free appetizer. Mission accomplished, I guess. Meanwhile my kids and I are trying to crawl under the table. Then we order. My wife has never once ordered a menu item the way it comes. There are always alterations, without something, with something it doesn't come with, sauce on the side, cooked in a manner that's different from what the menu says. All of these changes just increase the chance something is not going to be right. And of course when the food came out, it was wrong. And she went BALLISTIC. First she grabbed a waiter who wasn't even our waiter and proceeded to lay into him. Our waiter then came by and was treated to an even larger outburst of anger and accusations of incompetence. She was making such a scene that this time she didn't even have to ask for the manager- he must have sensed it coming and was there. Granted the guy was good, but he still had to comp our meal to shut her up.

But it made her happy. Once the meal was comped, she gave the manager another berating and sent him on his way. Then she sat down with a very big smile on her face and said, "See kids, that's how you make sure no one screws you over." To which my kids just rolled their eyes. As we finished, like always I sent my wife and kids on to the car while I went to the bathroom - and by go to the bathroom I mean go find our waiter, apologize to him, and slip him a tip roughly the price of the meal.

Point of this extremely long post is this - I'm tired of it and looking for some strategy to solve it. I love my wife and I am not going to end our marriage over this, but something has to give. The kids are tired of it and embarrassed by it. Yes, I've tried to talk to her about it. That only gets met with justifications about how you have to get what you pay for and you can't let people walk all over you or it's their job and if they can't do it right they should find something else. When I tell her there are other ways to get your point across than dressing people down she denies she does it and accuses me of making things up. When I tell her I'm not going out with her because of her treatment of service people, I'm accused of being disrespectful of her and have even been told that I am being emotionally abusive.

TLDR: My wife treats service industry people like crap.

--------------------

I'd suggest rat poison.

I think I'd legit divorce over this faster than about 80% of the posts in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Why do these people always say they love these pieces of poo poo?

Do they not know what love is?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Power Khan posted:

[new]
For those not aware - 'Karen' is a stereotype of a middle aged, or approaching middle age, woman who acts as if service industry personnel are subservient to her. She treats sales associates, waiters, and grocery clerks as if they are her personal servants, and her favorite phrase is, "Let me talk to your manager." Physically, she is often described as having short hair like that lady from the reality show with 8 kids, and often dressing somewhat frumpy.

On to my wife. While not adhering the physical description of a Karen, she has the behavior down pat. It just seems over the last 2 or 3 years, every single interaction with service personnel has to escalated to showdown involving a manager and my wife demanding free stuff and/or somebody's job. Unfortunately she usually wins, which I'm assuming is a large part of her continuing this behavior.

We went out to eat last night. She announced she wanted to go out, and as usual the kids and I did our best to talk her in to eating at home. I offered to grill, my daughter offered to make an Italian dish, I suggested I go out and pick up her favorite Chinese and bring it home - all our usual ploys to keep her from unleashing her wrath on some poor waiter who is just trying to do his or her job. No dice. She wants to go out, and she gets what she wants.

It was trouble right off the bat. She laid into the hostess (who looked to be about 15) because we were told 10-15 minute wait and it took 17 minutes. Then she pitched a fit about the table we were sat at. We've been to this restaurant dozens of times and even sat at the very table a few times. Last night it was too small and too close to the bathroom. As always, the manager was called out and this resulted in a table swap and a free appetizer. Mission accomplished, I guess. Meanwhile my kids and I are trying to crawl under the table. Then we order. My wife has never once ordered a menu item the way it comes. There are always alterations, without something, with something it doesn't come with, sauce on the side, cooked in a manner that's different from what the menu says. All of these changes just increase the chance something is not going to be right. And of course when the food came out, it was wrong. And she went BALLISTIC. First she grabbed a waiter who wasn't even our waiter and proceeded to lay into him. Our waiter then came by and was treated to an even larger outburst of anger and accusations of incompetence. She was making such a scene that this time she didn't even have to ask for the manager- he must have sensed it coming and was there. Granted the guy was good, but he still had to comp our meal to shut her up.

But it made her happy. Once the meal was comped, she gave the manager another berating and sent him on his way. Then she sat down with a very big smile on her face and said, "See kids, that's how you make sure no one screws you over." To which my kids just rolled their eyes. As we finished, like always I sent my wife and kids on to the car while I went to the bathroom - and by go to the bathroom I mean go find our waiter, apologize to him, and slip him a tip roughly the price of the meal.

Point of this extremely long post is this - I'm tired of it and looking for some strategy to solve it. I love my wife and I am not going to end our marriage over this, but something has to give. The kids are tired of it and embarrassed by it. Yes, I've tried to talk to her about it. That only gets met with justifications about how you have to get what you pay for and you can't let people walk all over you or it's their job and if they can't do it right they should find something else. When I tell her there are other ways to get your point across than dressing people down she denies she does it and accuses me of making things up. When I tell her I'm not going out with her because of her treatment of service people, I'm accused of being disrespectful of her and have even been told that I am being emotionally abusive.

--------------------

I'd suggest rat poison.

ah yes he's the emotionally abusive one for not wanting to go out with someone who verbally and emotionally abuses service/food workers :allears:

:murder:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Power Khan posted:

[new]

Whenever I go out to eat I always tip 35-50%. People give me poo poo for tipping too much. Bite my rear end.

e: I remember little while ago I had some time to burn after work, so I stopped by this breakfast place. Waitress tried to return my tip because she thought I had left too much by accident. I was like, it’s $10 on a $20 meal, no big thing

Ziv Zulander fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 3, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
There is no way he didn't know Karen's behavior when he went out on dates with her initially. That's why observing how a date treats service workers is a good indicator of their personality.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Power Khan posted:

[new]

--------------------

I'd suggest rat poison.

Uh, why isn't he willing to divorce his wife over horribly abusive behavior that he and his kids detest and are embarrassed by whenever they go out???? It's killing their family and he's somehow fine with it. All he has to do is say "Hey honey, you know I love you and care about you deeply, but you really need to stop treating waitresses, managers, cashiers, etc like trash or else I'm going to reconsider this marriage. I'm done." This isn't tough or profound and it's super weird how these people are so reluctant to actually talk to their partners.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Uh, why isn't he willing to divorce his wife over horribly abusive behavior that he and his kids detest and are embarrassed by whenever they go out???? It's killing their family and he's somehow fine with it. All he has to do is say "Hey honey, you know I love you and care about you deeply, but you really need to stop treating waitresses, managers, cashiers, etc like trash or else I'm going to reconsider this marriage. I'm done." This isn't tough or profound and it's super weird how these people are so reluctant to actually talk to their partners.

They're all probably afraid of becoming the next focus of her barely controlled rage.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

this guy probably doesn't have a much higher view of the service staff qualifying as human he just thinks screaming in their face is gauche and low-class, like chewing with your mouth open

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 3, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think the gaslighting is just as big a red flag as the treating random people like poo poo. If she was being awful to waiters and then going “oh, yeah, I did that” when he talked to her about it, that would still be bad, but reacting by accusing him of making it up is a double layer of lovely relationship dynamic.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

There is no way he didn't know Karen's behavior when he went out on dates with her initially. That's why observing how a date treats service workers is a good indicator of their personality.

He literally said it started 2 or 3 years ago.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Power Khan posted:

He had admitted that his relationship with Betty had started almost a year prior to Betty's mother passing away. So no, he didn't take advantage of a grieving woman.

Power Khan posted:

Also our families had been good friends since Betty and I were in third grade

why is he damage controlling for his dad loving the girl he knew since she was eight though

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Power Khan posted:

Escalate things by demanding to speak with her manager.

Power Khan posted:

AITA for not accepting my father's relationship with my ex-girlfriend?

Wow, this is the exact opposite of that one dude dating his ex-girlfriend's dad from a few days ago.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How do I stop having crushes on the wrong guys?

quote:

I like alpha male nerds (think brogrammers), but they don’t like me. How do I stop having obsessive crushes? Snowflakes inside...

I always crush on guys who are smart (STEM field), ambitious, handsome — but deep down, they are not the nicest. (*The ones that I've met- Not all are like this.*) They usually have a controlling streak that is sneaky and subtle. They make snarky comments aimed to get a reaction and are critical. They’re very manipulative and easily fool people- they can be quite charming, so people like them.

They’re just crushes and luckily I figure it out before anything gets serious, but it scares me that I like guys like this. I know that they’re bad news, so why do I still hope that they’ll change into Mr. Nice?

I also feel insecure- like I’m not good enough for them, but know that they are not the best for me either. I always feel like I have to prove myself, but it gets exhausting. When they go for other women, I think, “Why her and not me?” I wonder if they will treat the other women differently or better than they treat me.

I also think they like to play head games with me because I’m shy and quiet. (I’m loud around my family and friends, but when I feel uncomfortable I clam up.) It seems like these types can smell fear, so they use it to their advantage. I’m pretty introverted and don’t have the best social skills, so I don’t know how to defend myself.

It makes me worried because it seems to be a pattern of liking the same type of guy. I like smart guys, but these guys seem like they would be abusive and very toxic. Again, we don’t go out, but why do I keep obsessing over them? If I know they’re bad, why do I like that?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

I know I know I know I shouldn’t call fake but holy poo poo that reads like one long troll lol.

It literally hits all the buttons.

Brogamers? Alpha nerds? Man what?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pinecone Sample posted:

why is he damage controlling for his dad loving the girl he knew since she was eight though

It was written by the dad (or more likely some cretin with fantasies about loving his son's girlfriend).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bell jar posted:

say what you will but the dog "bit" her in a way that didn't puncture clothes or skin and could only be identified by leftover saliva, and she could have fired the gun into the air to spook the dogs before straight up shooting one

This was thirty pages ago, but you are a loving idiot.

Firing a gun at anything you are not actively trying to hit is some of the stupidest poo poo you could possibly do. There are no accidental shootings, just negligent ones, and that kind of poo poo is how random bystanders end up with bullet holes.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

CheesyDog posted:

Fake as gently caress.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
e: nvm

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CheesyDog posted:

Move to San Jose and have your pick of overweening, socially maladroit shitbags

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MarcusSA posted:

I know I know I know I shouldn’t call fake but holy poo poo that reads like one long troll lol.

Note that this was posted on a 9-year-old MetaFilter account

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for kicking my sister out of my wedding during the reception?

quote:

Throwaway for obvious reasons.

I got married last Saturday. Hooray for me! My sister was my maid of honor. During her speech, she brought up her depression and how my husband supported her through it and how “in that moment, I knew he was the one for throwaway...” (so cliche!). I thought her speech was really selfish. I think it’s super inappropriate to bring up a mental illness during a wedding speech. Not only that, but the entire speech was about her. At MY wedding. 90% of the guests congratulated her afterwards and talked about how “strong” she was. Nobody was paying attention to me, at my own wedding! Sorry if I sound selfish, but IMO there is a time and a place for this sort of thing. So after the guests all greeted her, I asked her to leave and told her she was being disruptive and selfish. She was really upset but just left without arguing. My parents agree with me. but my husband and all of my close friends think I was way too harsh. AITA?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MarcusSA posted:

You think because someone used common buzzwords the content must be fake? I have known both men and women who are exactly like this person.

LOL @ "A woman was introspective about being attracted to guys that aren't great and wants to change that. Must be fake."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

therobit posted:

You think because someone used common buzzwords the content must be fake? I have known both men and women who are exactly like this person.

LOL @ "A woman was introspective about being attracted to guys that aren't great and wants to change that. Must be fake."

:thunk: it’s more about how it’s written and also sprinkled with lots of buzzwords.

But ok!

I’m also not the only one who thought the same thing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

This was thirty pages ago, but you are a loving idiot.

Firing a gun at anything you are not actively trying to hit is some of the stupidest poo poo you could possibly do. There are no accidental shootings, just negligent ones, and that kind of poo poo is how random bystanders end up with bullet holes.

You'll never guess what got endlessly rehashed 29, 28, and 27 pages ago

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When frat guys were business majors no one was mistaking them for smart, but now that they're computer-touching majors there's been a major upset in the nerds vs. jocks continuum

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Frankly I'm surprised we didn't have a ten page derail about circumcision when we got that story about the uncut dude with smegma not too long ago.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

MarcusSA posted:

:thunk: it’s more about how it’s written and also sprinkled with lots of buzzwords.

But ok!

I’m also not the only one who thought the same thing.
The writing would have been weird for reddit, but then someone posted it was written for metafilter. :ms:, in that case it sounds legit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

The writing would have been weird for reddit, but then someone posted it was written for metafilter. :ms:, in that case it sounds legit

Yeah it actually makes more sense after they pointed that out.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of the most attractive, otherwise down-to-earth women I know keeps repeating the exact same relationship with engineers who love Dave Matthews and light beer

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

DemoneeHo posted:

:psyduck:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CheesyDog posted:

One of the most attractive, otherwise down-to-earth women I know keeps repeating the exact same relationship with engineers who love Dave Matthews and light beer

Man, that cohort is getting close to 40, aren't they

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

Frankly I'm surprised we didn't have a ten page derail about circumcision when we got that story about the uncut dude with smegma not too long ago.

We're not Silent Hill fans, so we don't care.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DemoneeHo posted:

The worst part is that the parents actually supported the bride, so you know 100% that the sister has spent her whole life as the black sheep of the family. No fuckin wonder she was depressed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Patrick Spens posted:

He literally said it started 2 or 3 years ago.

The cynic in me says this behavior doesn't just start out of nowhere. Chances are it was going on for much longer.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tactlessbastard posted:

Man, that cohort is getting close to 40, aren't they

Firmly into the 35-50 range, all with unsurprising histories of divorces.

She also doesn't like jam bands.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Panfilo posted:

The cynic in me says this behavior doesn't just start out of nowhere. Chances are it was going on for much longer.

They probably had dinner at TGI O'Fucklebees or some other fast casual bullshit chain, who practically train you to do this by being utter shite at everything and then bending over backwards when you yell at them, and it broke her brain

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

LadyPictureShow posted:

AITA if I resent my fuckbuddy because she is stupid?

Tacky as Hell but LOL at the bolded part.

quote:

I'm no model, but I'm 6''3 and lift weights...so having muscles does tend to help me attract girls, even though facially I'm nothing special.

Mods please change my name to Facially Nothing Special

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I feel like if you don't even care enough about your sex partner to call them a friend and would rather say they're a "fuckbuddy", then you probably don't care enough about them beyond sex and airheaded qualities are besides the point.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CheesyDog posted:

quote:

I always crush on guys who are smart, ambitious, handsome

Wow how strange and weird for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The 5 Love Languages and problems because of them in relationships
For those who don’t know, the 5 love languages are words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service and physical touch.

I (29F) have come across this theory recently and I think it makes a lot of sense. I struggle with my SO (30M) because his love language is physical touch while mine is acts of service. I feel as if we cannot get on the same page. I have learnt to give him physical touch but he refuses to give me acts of service. I simply cannot make him understand this makes me feel loved.

I think most problems in relationships come from that; we just don’t have the same love languages and we expect our SO to need the same things we need.

What do you think about it, do you believe in this theory or not? I would like to know how to make my SO understand I have different needs and am feeling unloved because he doesn’t make me feel loved? I just cannot make him understand that this is the most important to me and always feel unloved. He always gives me physical touch but it just isn’t enough for me. At this point after 14 years I am just tired of waiting for him to give me what I need.

Edit to add: I should also add that he is trying to improve but isn’t really doing much. Not by a long shot. How long should I wait for him and hope he will? Will he ever?