Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you going out of your way to use 5g?
yes i want the latest and greatest
no gently caress you
i'll use whatever the se support
View Results

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

, or even 6g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

so not fundamentally different to lte, but we’ve improved things, and need a marketing term

it turns out "long term evolution" was an accurate name!

5g-nr is the new bands stuff.

theres also going to be unlicensed band stuff under the 5g umbrella (nr-u): https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2018/12/13/3gpp-commits-5g-nr-unlicensed-spectrum-its-next-release

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
need some loving new letters or some poo poo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

coke posted:

lol @ the photo

what’s funny about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the fact that you don’t find it funny, of course

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

also

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the dude’s got talent

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

every time i see something like this i think about developing lovely EMF or whatever measuring equipment that would be laughable by lab standards but totally usable for idiots. like, pack a cheap PM sensor (chemtrail detection), H field sensor (EMF, can be as easy as PCB traces on the board), some microphone for infrasound, uv light sensor, and package it up with a bunch of scary looking level indicators for each thing. it'd be like a tricorder for crazy people and i'd be RICH I TELL YOU RICH. i already have no dignity and have nothing to lose, i should just get this done...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
You could save some money with no effect on sales by skipping the sensors and leaving the inputs floating, so they just drift up and down with the barest semblance of a pattern

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember when a bunch of military people bought homeopathic bomb detectors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651

quote:

It requires no battery or other power source; its manufacturer claimed that it is powered solely by the user's static electricity. To use the device, the operator must walk for a few moments to "charge" it before holding it at right angles to the body. After a substance-specific "programmed substance detection card" is inserted, the device is supposed to swivel in the user's hand to point its antenna in the direction of the target substance.

quote:

The cards were supposedly "programmed" or "activated" by being placed in a jar for a week along with a sample of the target substance to absorb the substance's "vapours".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
That's not homeopathy. if it were homeopathy you'd have to take the cards out afterwards and smack them on the table really hard 10 times in order to align the cards' molecules with the explosive vapor energy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

the dude’s got talent

I imagine he has a large collection of crying children pictures

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

remember when a bunch of military people bought homeopathic bomb detectors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651

dowsing for bombs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
a miserable pile of standards

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

the dude’s got talent

he certainly does have a unique style

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Visual GNUdio posted:

every time i see something like this i think about developing lovely EMF or whatever measuring equipment that would be laughable by lab standards but totally usable for idiots. like, pack a cheap PM sensor (chemtrail detection), H field sensor (EMF, can be as easy as PCB traces on the board), some microphone for infrasound, uv light sensor, and package it up with a bunch of scary looking level indicators for each thing. it'd be like a tricorder for crazy people and i'd be RICH I TELL YOU RICH. i already have no dignity and have nothing to lose, i should just get this done...

reminds me of those scam land mine detectors that have probably gotten people killed over in iraq.

what im saying is i think you’ve identified a viable business model.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m in, investment wise

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Canada now says they can legally extradite the Huawei exec for breaking a US law while not even in the US.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

PleasureKevin posted:

Canada now says they can legally extradite the Huawei exec for breaking a US law while not even in the US.

Canada does realize, I hope, that Huawei is a "Chinese Telecom Company" in the way that the NSA is an "American Telecom Company"

to extradite the "Exec" is asking for the "top spy's head on a platter" and is the sort of thing that i presume wars would happen first

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

call me in 5 years when it might matter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

they have US entities and assets which makes Huawei subject to US law

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sniep posted:

Canada does realize, I hope, that Huawei is a "Chinese Telecom Company" in the way that the NSA is an "American Telecom Company"

to extradite the "Exec" is asking for the "top spy's head on a platter" and is the sort of thing that i presume wars would happen first

you can’t actually be serious

coke
Jul 12, 2009
yeah basically any huge chinese sanctioned company are state backed and you just need to look high enough on their corporate ladder to see how they are connected
also you can see the reaction from the chinese governement itself to judge how deeply connected it is eg. they sentenced the canadian drug smuggler to death thinking it would be some sort of leverage but no one really cared

ah yes supported by NSA

coke
Jul 12, 2009
current 5g status, no one loving knows

quote:

Axios reported Sunday that there was "widespread confusion" inside the Trump administration as well as "mass uncertainty" after the Trump campaign appeared to back the proposal.

"Lots of policy folks were caught off guard," a senior Trump administration official told Axios.

The confusion came after Politico reported Friday that the Trump campaign was supporting the plan to allow the government to control 5G airwaves and lease access to private wireless providers.

“A 5G wholesale market would drive down costs and provide access to millions of Americans who are currently underserved. This is in line with President Trump’s agenda to benefit all Americans, regardless of geography," Kayleigh McEnany, a Trump 2020 campaign spokeswoman, told Politico.
But Axios reported Sunday that the campaign is now walking back its position.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

5g has been successfully thwarted by the totally normal great american q patriots

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

coke posted:

yeah basically any huge chinese sanctioned company are state backed and you just need to look high enough on their corporate ladder to see how they are connected
also you can see the reaction from the chinese governement itself to judge how deeply connected it is eg. they sentenced the canadian drug smuggler to death thinking it would be some sort of leverage but no one really cared

ah yes supported by NSA

wait till you find out who makes our encryption algorithms

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
5g olden manbabies. Lol remember that? Remember when we talked like that, on the internet

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SpaceAceJase posted:

5g olden manbabies. Lol remember that? Remember when we talked like that, on the internet

hahaha good sir

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

coke posted:

current 5g status, no one loving knows

5g makes it easier to fire up your own private networks using unlicensed or leased licensed spectrum so it can kinda be a thing

also yes you can just go out and buy some spectrum: https://selectspectrum.com/AvailableSpectrum.html

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

also yes you can just go out and buy some spectrum: https://selectspectrum.com/AvailableSpectrum.html

just to be silly i searched for "spectrum" on ebay to post some dumb link and ran into this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GQ-EMF-380V2-3-in-1-EMF-Meter-RF-Spectrum-Analyzer-Spy-Camera-Detector-to-8GHz/302583762550

GODDAMNIT this looks too easy and they're selling these things by the pallet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

an rtl-sdr is like :20bux: if thats all you want and you have a laptop

wait those go to 8ghz, huh thats nifty i guess?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 5, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is to sell to wi-fi cancer truthers, it's gotta be turnkey

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
5g is gonna fry your brain with millimeter waves!!!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I hope so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if there was a good electronic magnet radiation I would have seen it by now

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Still waiting for reliable 4g that isn't heinously slow and exorbitantly priced.

WiFi works pretty good.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

akadajet posted:

wait till you find out who makes our encryption algorithms

RIVEST YOU DOUBLE-CROSSING FUCKER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles