Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If you just train your arms, your legs will adapt and get stronger just from carrying around your upper body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Gaunab posted:

If you just train your arms, your legs will adapt and get stronger just from carrying around your upper body.

You joke but fat people have super strong legs and can take a 3x5 or 5x5 linear progression to like a 400-500 pound squat easy

Also being fat is the only foolproof way to get sick calves

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Love too take a wide grip lat bar and put it across the handles on the machine chest press (sit up push away) so I can do a narrow grip and destroy the handles while I do it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Just broke through a years long plateau on OHP ama

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

feelix posted:

Just broke through a years long plateau on OHP ama

How much and what did you change?

More salami?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
how many gallons of milk did you drink

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

How much and what did you change?

More salami?

135x6 at a 225 BW. Strongman pro card here I come

I widened my grip and the "rest your triceps on your lats" cue finally clicked for me

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i found some wild boar salami at the supermarket today

Its at least 51% wild boar according to the ingredient label.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm not actually attached to my routine, and I'm willing to try new things, hah.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaunab posted:

feelix posted:

You joke but fat people have super strong legs and can take a 3x5 or 5x5 linear progression to like a 400-500 pound squat easy

Also being fat is the only foolproof way to get sick calves

They joke but this is literally what a lot of bros do.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

how many gallons of milk did you drink

i have half a gallon of whole milk in my fridge, it's taking me all my willpower not to down it in one go and yell at everyone under 200lbs in the gym about HIP DRAHV

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Grocery store had a 16 pound brisket for $30.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
I'm decently strong now and am interested in weightlifting. Can any of you goons recommend a noob weightlifting program or a learning progression? I can power clean decently well (max is 125kg), but I'm a little spooked about catching serious weight in a squat position.

"Go find a coach" is an option I'm willing to entertain, but I'd like to see if I can figure this stuff out on my own.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Aschlafly posted:

I'm decently strong now and am interested in weightlifting. Can any of you goons recommend a noob weightlifting program or a learning progression? I can power clean decently well (max is 125kg), but I'm a little spooked about catching serious weight in a squat position.

"Go find a coach" is an option I'm willing to entertain, but I'd like to see if I can figure this stuff out on my own.

What were you doing before? Just kinda going on your own?

Also if you aren’t comfortable throwing weights around you could just stick to the strict movements. I never liked cleans and poo poo and just stick with everything strict and have made great progress.

I’ve never seen the appeal of cleans and jerks :shrug:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Also if you aren’t comfortable throwing weights around you could just stick to the strict movements. I never liked cleans and poo poo and just stick with everything strict and have made great progress.

You've never seen the appeal of putting the most weight possible over your head?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Aschlafly posted:

Greg everett has a decent book that goes through all the basics sorta step by step. That combined with lots if youtube worked ok for me (but get a coach if you want to compete or reach any kind of high level)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

feelix posted:

You've never seen the appeal of putting the most weight possible over your head?

Yes of course but doing it strict is much more impressive.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aschlafly posted:

125kg power clean is pretty good imo

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Yeah not sure what the question is. Do whatever you did to get to a 125kg power clean for other exercises and you should be fine?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

CheesyDog posted:

Grocery store had a 16 pound brisket for $30.

yeah get BEEFY bitch

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Aschlafly posted:

Find a coach, learn to snatch and jerk, and go win medals at local weightlifting comps.

Bonus points if you have a sweet bulge in a singlet.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'd kill for a 125 clean.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Step 1: stop doing power cleans
Step 2: start benching twice per week

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Aschlafly posted:

go find a coach.

also for fun here's my moving 220 like it's nothing but my elbow doesn't work anymore.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuWwOyLgKI1/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I'm going to have to get surgery again because the nerve is very obviously not in the right place anymore. I'm getting horrible nerve pain from writing, which, uh, unfortunately is what i do for about 8 hours a day now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I did sets of farmers carries at 160lbs per hand.

I think I’m dead.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Aschlafly posted:

Look up Zack Telander on youtube and follow his stuff for beginners. The forums keeps trying to turn the link to his channel into a video so you'll have to search yourself. Also make sure you find a good coach when you find one. I found a bad one and that went poorly since I was already strong.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

MarcusSA posted:

Hitherto I've been doing general strength work. My "main" lifts are high bar pause squat, bench, and power clean. Sadly these three are not contested lifts in any sport I'm aware of.

I don't think there's a "strict" version of a clean and jerk. Deadlift, reverse curl, and strict press?

UnfurledSails posted:

Yeah not sure what the question is. Do whatever you did to get to a 125kg power clean for other exercises and you should be fine?
I guess what vexes me is
a) how to learn the lifts
b) how to combine technique work, practicing the lifts, and general strength work

My intuition says to train the main lifts at high (but not maximal) intensity a few days a week, back squat and front squat a few days a week, and throw in some general strength work (OHP, DL/RDL, bench/dips, chins/rows, maybe bicep curls for elbow health) as permitted, but I'll definitely look at the links in this thread.

Mustached Demon posted:

Find a coach, learn to snatch and jerk, and go win medals at local weightlifting comps.

Bonus points if you have a sweet bulge in a singlet.
It's tiny, alas

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

you only get to learn how to lift for the first time one time

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

canadianclassic posted:

Greg everett has a decent book that goes through all the basics sorta step by step. That combined with lots if youtube worked ok for me (but get a coach if you want to compete or reach any kind of high level)

pick this up, Aschafly: https://www.amazon.com/Olympic-Weightlifting-Complete-Athletes-Coaches/dp/0990798542/

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Are there any books/regimens/resources for intermediate lifters? I'm at a point where I don't really have any goals outside of "2019 is my year of visible abdominals/orion belt" and "keep lifting to keep lifting heavier stuff."

I exercise at a YMCA and it isn't the environment for Olympic lifting, not that I'm especially interested. I guess I'm just looking for perspectives to keep me fresh is all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Practical Programming for Strength Training. The Texas Method has fallen out of favor, but there's still a lot of good stuff in there.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
exrx is my go-to source. It's really good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dum Cumpster posted:

Look up Zack Telander on youtube and follow his stuff for beginners. The forums keeps trying to turn the link to his channel into a video so you'll have to search yourself. Also make sure you find a good coach when you find one. I found a bad one and that went poorly since I was already strong.

seconding Zack Telander

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Watch Telander's videos with Clarence and just do what Clarence does.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Are there any books/regimens/resources for intermediate lifters? I'm at a point where I don't really have any goals outside of "2019 is my year of visible abdominals/orion belt" and "keep lifting to keep lifting heavier stuff."

I exercise at a YMCA and it isn't the environment for Olympic lifting, not that I'm especially interested. I guess I'm just looking for perspectives to keep me fresh is all.

articles on these websites:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/
https://www.jtsstrength.com/
https://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/

also this YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMcGFPjX2aQy31KYdEvT2-Q

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

Watch Telander's videos with Clarence and just do what Clarence does.

I don't think Clarence says how many grams he's on in any of those vids

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Does visible abdominals/orion belt" mean, like, a sixpack? Because that's mainly a diet and fat % thing. Ab wheel is great for abs.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
adonis belt. you idiot. you imbecile.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Oh you mean the cum gutters. :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

doverhog posted: