Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Those aren't the kind of decks that get policed by FoW. The kind of decks FoW effectively polices are grishoalbrand. FoW is there to not lose to legacy's turn 1 combos. Modern has very few of these.

So then what’s keeping a deck like Phoenix from doing the same thing in Legacy? The consistency and power of decks like Reanimator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

So then what’s keeping a deck like Phoenix from doing the same thing in Legacy? The consistency and power of decks like Reanimator?

Maybe? If I could afford the multiple thousand dollar buy-in and cared enough about it to actually learn to play it, I'd tell you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Maybe? If I could afford the multiple thousand dollar buy-in and cared enough about it to actually learn to play it, I'd tell you.

I guess it doesn’t is my answer anyways.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

FoW seems good against Tron in a tempoish deck like Shadow since you can counter their first big thing for that one key extra turn

It seems rear end against phoenix and mediocre against dredge though. Also if you really wanted to hate out tron the card you're looking for is wasteland

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Pfff, Dana probably got help from her DAD :smuggo:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

FoW seems good against Tron in a tempoish deck like Shadow since you can counter their first big thing for that one key extra turn

It seems rear end against phoenix and mediocre against dredge though. Also if you really wanted to hate out tron the card you're looking for is wasteland

That’s fair, I guess I’m trying to figure out what stops either of those decks from being major Legacy decks when fair decks like D&T and Stoneblade exist and function fine.

I guess the answer is Stoneforge?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brownhat posted:

The current match on camera is Living End vs Elves. Both decks are 9-1.

Phew, thank god Living End is riveting game play.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

DangerDongs posted:

Phew, thank god Living End is riveting game play.

actually the match kind of ruled so shrug

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Faeries on camera at 9-2 for all of you people bored with Phoenix/Dredge/Tron etc.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Elyv posted:

The problem with wasteland is that while it does hate on tron it also hates on playing magic. FoW is probably best against Tron, yeah, but if counterspells blew out Tron's game, they'd already be losing to the UW/Jeskai control decks anyway. The countermagic in modern isn't bad.

Also i'm pretty sure Phoenix is a good deck in Legacy, but i'm not sure it's as fast as storm when you have rituals.

TheKingofSprings posted:

That’s fair, I guess I’m trying to figure out what stops either of those decks from being major Legacy decks when fair decks like D&T and Stoneblade exist and function fine.

Tron's not fast enough for legacy. D&T for example benefits a lot from stuff like rishadan port to just completely shut down opponents.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The problem with wasteland is that while it does hate on tron it also hates on playing magic. FoW is probably best against Tron, yeah, but if counterspells blew out Tron's game, they'd already be losing to the UW/Jeskai control decks anyway. The countermagic in modern isn't bad.

Also i'm pretty sure Phoenix is a good deck in Legacy, but i'm not sure it's as fast as storm when you have rituals.

Tron's not fast enough for legacy. D&T for example benefits a lot from stuff like rishadan port to just completely shut down opponents.

There’s literally a Tron deck that’s much, much better than regular Tron ever was in that format though. Cloudpost was so insane they banned it out of Modern. I guess Wasteland and Port are just that impactful of cards for the deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
wasteland doesnt hate on playing magic, it hates on playing basics. strip mine hates on playing magic

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stoneforge, Jitte, untapped duals, Wasteland, Port, the threat of getting turn 1d forcing people to play blue, Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Delver being playable, stronger sideboard options from the non-Force of Will decks. Imo the biggest of all of those is probably cantrips and then Delver. It turns Force of Will from "buy a turn then die" to "buy a turn and win" or "buy a turn and find another answer or my sideboard card." I think Death's Shadow is the only modern deck that would really put Force to good use. Maybe Spirits or infect? But I'm not sure any of those decks have enough blue cards to support it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Faeries on camera at 9-2 for all of you people bored with Phoenix/Dredge/Tron etc.

Aw yeah that was good to see.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Stoneforge, Jitte, untapped duals, Wasteland, Port, the threat of getting turn 1d forcing people to play blue, Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Delver being playable, stronger sideboard options from the non-Force of Will decks. Imo the biggest of all of those is probably cantrips and then Delver. It turns Force of Will from "buy a turn then die" to "buy a turn and win" or "buy a turn and find another answer or my sideboard card." I think Death's Shadow is the only modern deck that would really put Force to good use. Maybe Spirits or infect? But I'm not sure any of those decks have enough blue cards to support it.

There does seem to be a need of a deck that can act as the format police as it were. Whether that’s Delver, Stoneblade, or something else I’m not sure. I’m a lot more in favour of unbanning Preordain and Stoneforge than I am of banning out Stirrings and Looting, though.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 3, 2019

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

TheKingofSprings posted:

Phoenixes is fine for Legacy. It should be a good deck but I don't see how it trumps a field of Show and Tell variants, storm, Miracles, and such. Burn has a decent matchup as well barring consistent turn 1 combo.

Had a guy at a legacy 1k here a couple weeks back do a solid job and get second seed going into top 8 (we split prizes). Even then his matches with burn and OmniTell were far from dunks and were both super loseable.

It's a cool new deck and I hope it sticks. It shouldn't be overwhelming.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Phoenixes is fine for Legacy. It should be a good deck but I don't see how it trumps a field of Show and Tell variants, storm, Miracles, and such. Burn has a decent matchup as well barring consistent turn 1 combo.

Had a guy at a legacy 1k here a couple weeks back do a solid job and get second seed going into top 8 (we split prizes). Even then his matches with burn and OmniTell were far from dunks and were both super loseable.

It's a cool new deck and I hope it sticks. It shouldn't be overwhelming.

One thing I don’t understand is why doesn’t the deck run Intuition as a 5th Buried Alive? It does similar things to Buried Alive but at instant speed and also you can go for the triple Cabal Therapy if you want your opponent to not have a hand provided you’ve got Pyromancer out.

I guess Cabal Therapy, sac a Phoenix to it, get the same Phoenix back is already a powerful enough line anyways.

I think once I’m done with my final project this week I’m going to buy myself a playset of Phoenixes as a reward. Card’s dope and I think there’s going to be opportunities to use it in all kinds of formats.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

There does seem to be a need of a deck that can act as the format police as it were. Whether that’s Delver, Stoneblade, or something else I’m not sure. I’m a lot more in favour of unbanning Preordain and Stoneforge than I am of banning out Stirrings and Looting, though.

Weren't people calling Spirits the format cop for a while? What happened to that?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

TheKingofSprings posted:

One thing I don’t understand is why doesn’t the deck run Intuition as a 5th Buried Alive? It does similar things to Buried Alive but at instant speed and also you can go for the triple Cabal Therapy if you want your opponent to not have a hand provided you’ve got Pyromancer out.

I guess Cabal Therapy, sac a Phoenix to it, get the same Phoenix back is already a powerful enough line anyways.

I think once I’m done with my final project this week I’m going to buy myself a playset of Phoenixes as a reward. Card’s dope and I think there’s going to be opportunities to use it in all kinds of formats.

I'm like 70% sure the dude had an Intuition but I didn't go over his deck list.

And yeah, Therapy with a Phoenix is usually strong enough on its own.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Weren't people calling Spirits the format cop for a while? What happened to that?

suicidesteve posted:

It's my deck so it's destined for unplayability.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've been running Grixis Phoenix with two Intuition and it's loving bonkers in the list. I expect it to become standard over time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Crackbone posted:

Funny GB angel came up. Rosewater today on his blog said they’ve changed their minds on that subject and are fine with doing gold cards that could be mono colored.

So I guess R&D held that opinion for all of the two weeks that question was given to GDS entrants.

Does this count as Maro's response to my tweet? Is this my prize?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

My guess would be the fact that KCI is gone, and Izzet Phoenix being everywhere.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Bolt is finally a good card in the format again

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

Does this count as Maro's response to my tweet? Is this my prize?

Honestly I think maros response would be cursing at you for thinking the first or third ability is green or black

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And faeries is out to a top deck scapeshift.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mandatory lesbian posted:

Honestly I think maros response would be cursing at you for thinking the first or third ability is green or black

Just like how a 4/4 flying creature isn't really black and green.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm using Delver Lens to make a list of my old magic cards, and I was curious if it's worth scanning in lands beyond snow covered lands assuming I might sell them someday? I'd assume there's no value in old basic lands that aren't black bordered. I have a lot of revised and 4th edition but no unlimited or beta iirc.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

There’s literally a Tron deck that’s much, much better than regular Tron ever was in that format though. Cloudpost was so insane they banned it out of Modern. I guess Wasteland and Port are just that impactful of cards for the deck.

lol i'm reminded that there was a thread on the pauper reddit where people wondered if they could unban cloudpost, you know, to try to weaken boros

reddit is so bad

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Changed my mind. Dana is really cute and she should win all the GPs she can.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlternateNu posted:

Black-green is the only option after eliminating A, B, and C because neither blue nor black have vigilance as a primary or secondary ability.

Green and Blue have nearly the same amount of creatures with vigilance percentage wise, just as an FYI

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 4, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Top 8 is
2x UR Phoenix
2x Dredge
2x Hardened Scales
TitanShift
GDS

LSV and Marshall were talking on camera about how all of these decks want to goldfish, which seems like a bad look IMO

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Top 8 is
2x UR Phoenix
2x Dredge
2x Hardened Scales
TitanShift
GDS

LSV and Marshall were talking on camera about how all of these decks want to goldfish, which seems like a bad look IMO

It’s big problem with Modern and it also shows that you can’t just bury the problem by banning Looting and Stirrings because there are other viable linear decks just slightly below the best ones.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s big problem with Modern and it also shows that you can’t just bury the problem by banning Looting and Stirrings because there are other viable linear decks just slightly below the best ones.

I think when you get a big card pool with the level of efficiency that modern has, it's inevitable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is just the nature of the Eternal formats. Even when you cut out the draft chaff and set the starting point for the format in the game's tenth year, a pool of a few hundred cards out of over twelve thousand are going to rule the format.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Just bought a booster of ravnica out of curiosity and I haven't played since kaladesh. Cards are cool, but seriously why is the card quality so bad? What happened??

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Panzeh posted:

I think when you get a big card pool with the level of efficiency that modern has, it's inevitable.

That's not really true though in legacy? The meta is extremely fair at the moment.

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/4531_day_2_metagame_breakdown.html

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Coverage of Pauper was trash. Or maybe I was just spoiled by the MC1 coverage.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C-Euro posted:

Eh, if there was a Burn deck in there the complaints would be that it just ramps damage is "non-interactive". Modern games are over on turn 4 (or have the game wrapped up by then) 90% of the time. It's one of the prices of having an eternal format instead of having to constantly buy a new deck every year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

That's not really true though in legacy? The meta is extremely fair at the moment.

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/4531_day_2_metagame_breakdown.html

The strength of Force of Will