Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the politicians never back down on privatization and looting the public purse because those are the only things their paymasters wont accept them backing down on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

the politicians never back down on privatization and looting the public purse because those are the only things their paymasters wont accept them backing down on

Actually I would say they use to back down, or at least appear to compromise. As french history proves. macron however is too stupid.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

It's like when Chicago allowed basic things like parking enforcement and towing to be completely privatized with predictable results.

What happened? I'm curious

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

What happened? I'm curious

Chicago's cartoonishly corrupt Daley/Emmanuel government sold 75-year exclusive rights to the city's parking meters for a one-time payment of $1.16 billion dollars.

These meters generated over $134 million in the last year alone, and the company has repeatedly billed the city for "lost revenue" due to street closures.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Microcline posted:

Chicago's cartoonishly corrupt Daley/Emmanuel government sold 75-year exclusive rights to the city's parking meters for a one-time payment of $1.16 billion dollars.

These meters generated over $134 million in the last year alone, and the company has repeatedly billed the city for "lost revenue" due to street closures.

the fact that companies have the balls to bill the government for not meeting their own outlandish projected profits, and it works, will never not astound me no matter how late capitalism things are

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Crowsbeak posted:

I legit believe the neolibs have convinced themselves now they just have to privatize whatever, whenever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRHyjj34ZE

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dont forget that the company that owns the parking meters is in turn owned by an emirati sovereign wealth fund. the politicians literally sold the american public out to a foreign government

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47371901

quote:

"It's a lie," complains Mr Dubrul. "The president doesn't want to listen to the people, the yellow-vest movement isn't strong enough yet. We need more people on the streets".

quote:

In a cafe across the road from the town hall Fanny Niquet and Chantal Huger reflect on his decision to get off his "Parisian pedestal".

"He has been very arrogant from the start," says Fanny.

They talk about the struggle of looking after their grandchildren, so their children can make ends meet.

"He needs to raise the low wages, so that people can afford to live", she says.

And if he doesn't act?

"There will be a civil war," they both claim, "a revolution". "There is too much tension now, people are radicalised," says Chantal.

:hai::hai::hai:

quote:

They are the French bourgeoisie, and this should be safe territory for Macron. At the entrance of the hall his picture hangs high on the wall.

They talk for hours and become increasingly frustrated. Taxes are "too high" and welfare payments "too generous".

:thermidor:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
poo poo i know some Dubruls in that area, i wonder if they're related

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

OhFunny posted:

At the entrance of the hall his picture hangs high on the wall.

Speaking of which: https://www.dailysabah.com/europe/2019/02/23/macrons-portraits-stolen-by-activists

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Who said Macron doesn’t give a poo poo about us, we get a free car wash every Saturday !

https://twitter.com/CharlesBaudry/status/1101880324743663616?s=20

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
There's wild talk that non-French people are going to Paris on the 16th to support and make transnational connections with the yellow vests. It's a pure cringey LARP obviously but if any britgoons were to head there and and any french goons wanted to get a few pints bought for them then I imagine that would happen on the 16th.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh god, i hope its not the quanon fash trash

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Oh god, i hope its not the quanon fash trash
Some will be there, they will meet a pretty average french police response and we will hear them bitch about it for years.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

So French goons what policies need to be passed to improvement the lot of the French people and not just the 1%. I understand what needs to be rolled back: the repealed wealth tax, the struck down rent controls, the cuts to the welfare state, etc. What needs to come after that?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OhFunny posted:

So French goons what policies need to be passed to improvement the lot of the French people and not just the 1%. I understand what needs to be rolled back: the repealed wealth tax, the struck down rent controls, the cuts to the welfare state, etc. What needs to come after that?

Macron Au Goulag

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/sahouraxo/status/1101983194545618945

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

OhFunny posted:

I think if you look past those the major point of contention here is the European Union. The way it's setup to favor tax competition between member states and embrace liberalism as the only way forward is the biggest problem we face. Macron's strategy was supposedly to reform the country (read: enforce more neolib' policies) to cozy up to Merkel and gain more leverage at the EU level. Strangely enough the only part of that plan that was enforced was the neolib' reforms and we're no closer to seeing any reform of the EU. As usual the only reason we're not seeing the benefits here is because we didn't go far enough.

Now that his plan to influence Germany (lol) has failed the options left on the table are:

- Strong-arming the EU to enact social and tax reform that benefit more than the 1%, Germany, and Benelux.
- Leaving the EU
- Kindly sell our state assets, destroy our social safety net and funnel that money to the poor bankers in need who are holding our national debt. Full disclosure: we're already spending 46b a year on interests. That's the equivalent of our entire education budget right there.

Macron is a strong proponent of option 3 so what I'm saying is:

Shear Modulus posted:

Macron Au Goulag

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
A state being brought to penury and disaster by the neoliberal ideology and austerity obsession of the EU, you say? There used to be some talk of that on these boards, can't recall what the outcome was but I think everyone involved turned out to be racist.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Often Abbreviated posted:

A state being brought to penury and disaster by the neoliberal ideology and austerity obsession of the EU, you say? There used to be some talk of that on these boards, can't recall what the outcome was but I think everyone involved turned out to be racist.

its antisemitic to talk about bankers and interest rates

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Six fontaines lumineuses en cristal et bronze de 13 mètres de haut seront inaugurées le 21 mars sur le Rond-point des Champs-Elysées à Paris

Une idée courageuse dans le climat actuel.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

In Anglais for those who cannot read French

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Two French artists are set to install six 13-metre (42-foot) rotating fountains made of crystal and bronze on the Champs-Elysees, adding a new attraction to the famed French avenue.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

but if the cops are assaulting tourists now then lol
this is just more grift isnt it, they dont care if its popular for tourists

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I think if you look past those the major point of contention here is the European Union. The way it's setup to favor tax competition between member states and embrace liberalism as the only way forward is the biggest problem we face. Macron's strategy was supposedly to reform the country (read: enforce more neolib' policies) to cozy up to Merkel and gain more leverage at the EU level. Strangely enough the only part of that plan that was enforced was the neolib' reforms and we're no closer to seeing any reform of the EU. As usual the only reason we're not seeing the benefits here is because we didn't go far enough.

Now that his plan to influence Germany (lol) has failed the options left on the table are:

- Strong-arming the EU to enact social and tax reform that benefit more than the 1%, Germany, and Benelux.
- Leaving the EU
- Kindly sell our state assets, destroy our social safety net and funnel that money to the poor bankers in need who are holding our national debt. Full disclosure: we're already spending 46b a year on interests. That's the equivalent of our entire education budget right there.

Macron is a strong proponent of option 3 so what I'm saying is:

Thanks for the post Sassy. I have been reading a few articles that touch on the fact the underlining problem is that France (and every other country in the Eurozone) is tied to the much larger German economy via monetary union and since it has zero control over it's currency it has zero fiscal tools at its disposal. Such as devaluing or deficit spending to provide stimulus (like when Brussels vetoed the Italian budget).

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Germany and France have much more autonomy than other Eurozone countries thanks to their position within the EU.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Thanks for the post Sassy. I have been reading a few articles that touch on the fact the underlining problem is that France (and every other country in the Eurozone) is tied to the much larger German economy via monetary union and since it has zero control over it's currency it has zero fiscal tools at its disposal. Such as devaluing or deficit spending to provide stimulus (like when Brussels vetoed the Italian budget).

I'm no expert on the subject but the euro as a currency was more or less tailored from the Deutsche mark with the added benefit for Germany that it was much more stable. The euro was problematic for smaller economies that relied on their comparatively weaker currency as a competitive edge for exports but what made it worse is that -partly due to their history- Germans have always been obsessed with not devaluing it and curbing inflation. For instance the ECB didn't start its QE policy until 2015 and had to make do without it during the worst of 2008 and 2012 for purely political reasons.

If anyone is wondering what QE is, maybe read this: https://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/quantitative-easing-dummies

Note that the ECB recently ended it's QE policy and we're now stuck with €3Trillions sleeping in Luxembourg, Germany and the ECB because banks and private investors decided to not play fair and invested all that free money in "safe" countries or put it back with the ECB rather than invest in the countries that needed it. (please clap)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

QE is the central banks printing money to buy government debt with the intention of driving up the price of government debt and other ultra-safe investments (from the extra demand) so that maybe private investors wont buy those (because they are more expensive) and will instead invest in non-safe but productive investments like starting a business or loaning it to someone who wants to start a business. it failed to work worldwide because the private investors didnt play along and instead put their money in speculative bullshit like the stock market (ie buying shares of already-existing companies instead of starting new companies) which has become hilariously overvalued, and other sorts of bubbles like real estate and juiceros and bitcoins and the completely new multibillion dollar market for consumers' personal data that have produced big financial returns with no commensurate trickling down to employment or wages or the real economy in general

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Mar 5, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

QE is the central banks printing money to buy government debt with the intention of driving up the price of government debt and other ultra-safe investments (from the extra demand) so that maybe private investors wont buy those (because they are more expensive) and will instead invest in non-safe but productive investments like starting a business or loaning it to someone who wants to start a business. it failed to work worldwide because the private investors didnt play along and instead put their money in speculative bullshit like the stock market (ie buying shares of already-existing companies instead of starting new companies) which has become hilariously overvalued, and other sorts of bubbles like real estate and juiceros and bitcoins and the completely new multibillion dollar market for consumers' personal data that have produced big financial returns with no commensurate trickling down to employment or wages or the real economy in general

Same but the intention was never to do the first part. The intention was only to inflate asset prices. The guys who do this are not stupid.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Boatswain posted:

Germany and France have much more autonomy than other Eurozone countries thanks to their position within the EU.

This stopped being true last year when Selmayer staged his coup and the German head of hr policy stated phasing out term limits on offices held by Germans to remove anyone else from decision making policy.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Oh hey byolante, welcome back! It’s been an absolute circlejerk of undidvided opinion in here without you, I’m curious to hear what you make of the current situation

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

twoday posted:

Oh hey byolante, welcome back! It’s been an absolute circlejerk of undidvided opinion in here without you, I’m curious to hear what you make of the current situation

El pueblo unido jamas sera vencido my good man

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Byolante posted:

This stopped being true last year when Selmayer staged his coup and the German head of hr policy stated phasing out term limits on offices held by Germans to remove anyone else from decision making policy.

So who if not France and Germany sets the agenda in the EU(zone)?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Boatswain posted:

So who if not France and Germany sets the agenda in the EU(zone)?

Before 2004 it's complicated but after 2004 it's literally the ECB. Recommend Varoufakis' book And The Weak Suffer What They Must? to get a good primer, some things I disagree with Varoufakis about but he is an actual smart, moral human that has been an insider at the sharp end of the ECB and it's a fantastic book.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vitamin P posted:

Before 2004 it's complicated but after 2004 it's literally the ECB. Recommend Varoufakis' book And The Weak Suffer What They Must? to get a good primer, some things I disagree with Varoufakis about but he is an actual smart, moral human that has been an insider at the sharp end of the ECB and it's a fantastic book.

A thing to remember is that as Germany gradually takes full control of the EU they will strengthen their monetary policy influence on the eurozone which is pretty much entirely informed by Faust by Goethe.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

The ECB isn't going to act against the interest of France or Germany.

e: interest as the desire of Macron & équipe or the CDU.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/1103777447655419905?s=19

Jupiter has spoken: no more talk of police violence.

After all, they haven't killed any protesters (he really said this).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/PaulineBock/status/1103313857748107266?s=19

Love to present myself as a champion of the international organizations and leader of Europe and ignore international organizations and European institutions because geez the fash police just gotta horrifically maim people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

so america's gonna invade now right