Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Someone at work is selling a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT. It's got 80k on the ODO and he's selling it for 5k. Clean title no accidents just some dings and the windshield is cracked.

Gonna be test driving it tomorrow and doing usual visual checks (tires, pads, leaky fluid, etc..).

Anything specific I should watch out for? I think it's very well priced and there's no reason for this guy to try and sell me a lemon (he's fairly high up the chain and just wants a fast no hassle sale). He disclosed the windshield and a couple issues with the CD player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Bank posted:

Someone at work is selling a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT. It's got 80k on the ODO and he's selling it for 5k. Clean title no accidents just some dings and the windshield is cracked.

Gonna be test driving it tomorrow and doing usual visual checks (tires, pads, leaky fluid, etc..).

Anything specific I should watch out for? I think it's very well priced and there's no reason for this guy to try and sell me a lemon (he's fairly high up the chain and just wants a fast no hassle sale). He disclosed the windshield and a couple issues with the CD player.

turbo seals on those like to fail. I think there was an extended warranty but not everyone got it taken care of (source: My friend has one of these, he never bothered to get the turbo replaced by the dealer and now it burns oil under boost).

Otherwise, they're awesome cars and 5k seems like a great deal.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The DI system will leave the back side of the intake valves carbon coated.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Isn't there an issue with the engine mounts, or was it fixed by that year?

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Bank posted:

That’s a hell of a deal for the mileage and Im incredibly jealous

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Watch for the Mazda rust underneath.

I had an 08 which was absolutely clean underneath but did have some cosmetic rust across the roof caused by stone chips.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

2008 had a split with the 2008.5 having nicer interior, so I'd see which one it is if that matters to you. I miss those seats.

I think there was something with the rear shocks or sway bar links that made a ton of noise in the cold, also.

You Am I posted:

Isn't there an issue with the engine mounts, or was it fixed by that year?

the rear motor mount is pretty soft and lets it wheel hop like crazy. I went with the softest aftermarket one for NVH reasons and it was barely noticeable NVH wise but much improved against wheel hop.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah 2008.5 is so worth it for the seats. Quick way to check is white gauge needles instead of red.

If it's a 2008.5 there was a TSB for the bass dropping out. I had my stereo replaced in the first couple weeks of ownership for it, it made it sound like crap.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

opengl128 posted:

Yeah 2008.5 is so worth it for the seats. Quick way to check is white gauge needles instead of red.

If it's a 2008.5 there was a TSB for the bass dropping out. I had my stereo replaced in the first couple weeks of ownership for it, it made it sound like crap.

Just checked the pics, they are red needles so it's a vanilla 2008.

Are there really no other big issues to look out for other than the turbo? The car is completely stock (if I buy it I plan to keep it that way). I might be biting off more than I can chew this time around (never owned a car with a turbo in it before); it looks like cars like this only last 150k before a rebuild needs to be planned? I'll be test driving it in a few hours.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Check for smoking turbo, and listen for the VVT rattle. Otherwise as mentioned I'd plan to walnut blast the intake valves.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

opengl128 posted:

Totally forgot about that, I think my stereo was replaced as well. I only had the car for about a year though, still wish I kept it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

Totally forgot about that, I think my stereo was replaced as well. I only had the car for about a year though, still wish I kept it.

I had mine for 8 years or so. Miss it big time.

e: sigh:

opengl fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 4, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The ms3 has been the only car I’ve owned that let you rewind Sirius radio.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The ms3 has been the only car I’ve owned that let you rewind Sirius radio.

I remember that! You could pause it indefinitely too. I don't think it was even an advertised feature.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

opengl128 posted:

I remember that! You could pause it indefinitely too. I don't think it was even an advertised feature.

Well poo poo, I have to buy this car then.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Bank posted:

Well poo poo, I have to buy this car then.

Semi-irrelevant but timely (released today): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdoTmcWYRqg

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Aaaaand I'm not gonna buy this Mazda after all :(

I asked if it was ever tracked and he said the car is his spare he uses for the track.. So it's been tracked. A lot. The only times it's not at the track is when he's driving to/from the track :bang:

I checked out the car in the parking lot before out appointment and it's definitely got signs. Tons of tiny rock chips in the front, front tires have edge wear etc..the only things missing are his numbers and a helmet in the backseat. I have zero interest in taking on more car maintenance so I'll have to pass. Oh well, it was too good to be true.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I fail to see the problem with a previously tracked car, unless the rock chips are too bad for you to deal with. At least you know the thing has been maintained well and the 'oh it is just a worn bushing' type of problems probably don't exist.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

For that price I’d 100% still buy it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bank posted:

I checked out the car in the parking lot before out appointment and it's definitely got signs. Tons of tiny rock chips in the front, front tires have edge wear etc..the only things missing are his numbers and a helmet in the backseat. I have zero interest in taking on more car maintenance so I'll have to pass. Oh well, it was too good to be true.

Even a non-tracked MS3 is a maintenance-hungry motherfucker.

At $5k I'd still be tempted, today, to buy another.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even a non-tracked MS3 is a maintenance-hungry motherfucker.

At $5k I'd still be tempted, today, to buy another.

I haven't passed on the car yet, but what exactly? A bunch of seals and suspension stuff? I am reading about the VVT getting unset which is like a 1k job..

I've been driving boring cars that just require oil changes, so I want to know more about what I'm signing up for. I've been reading other forums but most of those folks run on non-OEM stuff which will have expected issues. This car is bone stock.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tires, tires, tires. Granted I was putting 20k miles a year on mine but it ate a set of tires every year. Also had EGR problems, throttle body failure (an early 07 problem only), shifter cables, pivot seal, sway bar links, wheel bearings (which also involved a new knuckle, hub, and CV)

Mine was nearly bone stock the majority of the time I owned it, and the few mods I did do were quality of life improvements I should have done much earlier - engine mounts in particular. I also never did, but wish I did, tune out the EGR / put in a catch can to reduce the intake valve buildup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just get a PPI from a decent mechanic, they'll tell you how worn the wear items are

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
poo poo's hosed he should just drift it into a landfill.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah I think if I buy another used car it'll definitely be rung through the PPI process. I figure if I can get a heads up on things at least I can save time/money not doing a PPI if there are clearly issues.

I test drove the car today. Drove fine, no leaks and the owner was very straightforward about issues that he's fixed. He didn't notice the ticking sound though which was clearly the VVT issue common with these cars. I know the car is cheap and I can get the VVT job done for 1-1.5k but with two kids at home I guess I'll be looking for something more reliable. He had a few other people interested and I'm sure it'll sell in the next few days.

Oh well, thanks all for the info. If I buy a hatch it won't be a high performance one, just plain Mazda3 with a stick is probably in my future.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any chance that Mazda is in the Northeast? I need a beater.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Bay Area. He's got 3 people lined up to see it so I'm pretty sure it'll be gone tomorrow.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Just saw a fiesta ST with a bull bar come charging across the railroad tracks and haul rear end. Godspeed. o7

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
... uhm. i didnt even consider that option, with bigger tires and sidewalls?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sneakyfrog posted:

... uhm. i didnt even consider that option, with bigger tires and sidewalls?

That's actually one of my biggest disappointments with the FiST, that there are plenty of options for people who somehow think it's not already too low and too firm, but if I want to go rally style and raise the car up a bit with some more suspension travel my only options are to DIY it or buy the full Team Oneill suspension kit used on actual WRC cars for $$$$$.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Am I nuts for wanting to sell my 2016 Honda Fit and get a Honda CR-Z instead? The Fit narrowly won out when I was debating between the two a few years ago, but I got the itch again recently since I rarely use the cargo capacity or rear seats anymore.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:catbert: only if you supercharge it. I thought the crz was going to be a rad little crx but its at best anemic, even if it does have a cool go fast button

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/06100-F27S-A00.html

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Buy a crz then k swap it to make it the car we deserved

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
then twin turbo it then if its a k

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The CRZ is a fun platform let down by having no power and having to haul around heavy batteries.

We have one that is my wife's car and it's fun to throw around. It feels a lot slower than the 1st gen Fit I used to have despite having the same engine + an electric motor so that probably comes down to weight. A K swap and hybrid battery delete really would make it perfect.

For what it's worth though my wife drives exclusively in sport mode because otherwise it's too slow.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yes, this would be purely for driving long distance for work, so I'm all about the gas mileage.

I remember from when I was car shopping that the batteries were a concern for long term maintenance costs, are the batteries proprietary or user changeable? I wonder if one could swap in an equivalent amount of lithium batteries somehow. Maybe motorcycle size lithium batteries?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I think my wife's averaging around 38mpg in hers. I haven't looked at it lately. Not terrible but it's nowhere near the mileage more serious hybrids can get.

If you're just looking to max out your MPGs then what about a used Prius?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just keep the Fit unless you just want to switch it up

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The CR-Z (and hybrid Fit) are great around be town but you don't get much added efficiency on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
We didn't get the hybrid Fit here anyway :(