Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Gay Retard posted:

I'm sure there's a third party equivalent for Windows, but I really love macOS's multiple desktops and gestures. That, alone, makes windows management better.

Windows 10 has multiple desktops built-in as well as tons of gestures for window management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lambert posted:

Windows 10 does allow you to execute gestures/scroll inactive windows. Funnily enough, this should be behavior you don't like, considering your first gripe.

I mean, that's why I included a line explaining why I wanted the one behavior and not the other. Windows does the opposite of what I want in each circumstance.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

I mean, that's why I included a line explaining why I wanted the one behavior and not the other. Windows does the opposite of what I want in each circumstance.

Should be on by default. On Windows 7, you need a special tool to do this. But, considering Windows 7 support is running out in less than a year, I assume you're upgrading soon anyways.

You preferring the extra click seems very weird to me, this is extremely annoying behavior to me. I have multiple windows open at all times on multiple monitors, being able to easily interact with all of them at the same time is a huge plus.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's certainly possible, even likely, that I'm the weird one and nobody else likes things the way I like them. I'll adapt or die I suppose.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Data Graham posted:

It's certainly possible, even likely, that I'm the weird one and nobody else likes things the way I like them. I'll adapt or die I suppose.

you're not the only one, i agree with literally everything you posted last page

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I find Windows difficult to work with personally, but I don't hate it. I also don't give a poo poo why people like one over the other.

Work with the OS you find works for you, people.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

The Milkman posted:

None of the mac 3rd party software is as good as the baseline you get with Windows 10 out of the box.

I'm genuinely confused about what features you're talking about. With 3rd party Mac and Windows software, I can throw/resize a given window pretty much anywhere I desire with a single hotkey combo in a single step (no mouse required). 1/3, 1/2 or 2/3 screen width or quadrants, at any grid position that makes sense for the given window height/width. Also move to another monitor or space/desktop, return to pre-managed dimensions, and more.

AFAIK Windows 10 still only does left half or right half with a single keyboard combo. Quadrants can be done with corner snap and snap assist, but these require the mouse and/or multiple steps, and still this is relatively basic compared to what 3rd party software can accomplish. Am I missing something here?

Ignoring window positioning, one thing I've always liked about macOS is its differentiation between all windows/apps and the currently focused app's windows. I.e. having both CMD+TAB to switch between apps and CMD+` to switch between the focused app's windows; and all window mission control vs only the focused app's window mission control. Not having every window available from CMD+TAB (as they are with ALT+TAB on Windows) took some getting used to, but now I find the TAB/` differentiation is usually faster for getting to what I want than having scrolling through all windows via ALT+TAB.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Splinter posted:

AFAIK Windows 10 still only does left half or right half with a single keyboard combo. Quadrants can be done with corner snap and snap assist, but these require the mouse and/or multiple steps, and still this is relatively basic compared to what 3rd party software can accomplish. Am I missing something here?

Quadrants can be done with Win-Up or Win-Down right after doing Win-Left or Win-Right. You can also maximize with Win-Up multiple times or minimize with Win-Down multiple times, and Win-Shift-Arrow will move the window across desktops.

When I'm using Windows, these key shortcuts are fine. When I'm using a Mac, Magnet/Moom are fine. This doesn't seem like something worthy to have a holy war argument about.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chutwig posted:

This doesn't seem like something worthy to have a holy war argument about.

It really is one of the most idiotic slap-fights in a thread that has a lot of them.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Data Graham posted:

Tell me how to make it so when you click a backgrounded window in Windows, it doesn't pass that click through to whatever widget in that application happened to be under your pointer but you couldn't see because it was in the background, and it'll change my life.

I'm forever hunting for a piece of dead real estate to click on to bring a background application forward, and if I miss by one pixel I find I've hit a link or clicked an action button or something that has made that Windows app go off and do all kinds of overenthusiastic stuff that no application should execute if it was clicked on while the app itself was in a background window, because there's no way the user did it on purpose with full knowledge.

And then if that is by some miracle possible, conversely I want to know how to make Windows recognize gestures and navigation inputs on windows that are not necessarily focused, like why the bloody hell can't I two-finger swipe to scroll a file list unless I click in it first? Two-finger swipe scrolling should definitely work even on a background window.

I want to be able to see what's in the background without having to bring that app forward, and I want to be able to bring an app forward without tiptoeing around live-click land mines.

These are behaviors that are default on Mac but seemingly impossible on Windows, and I'm on a locked-down Win7 so if this is fixed in Win10 or something then ignore me, I'm just pointlessly grousing like an OS beardo from the 90s

Is this not what you're trying to achieve?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Diiiiiiick move

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Axiem posted:

Aren’t those just the standard zoom in/out keys?
They totally are, and I'm probably just going crazy. But I've been using macs for 12 years or so, and I only started doing this like two months ago - I've done it twice today. I keep thinking it's a new shortcut they've introduced but more likely I'm just getting clumsier in my old age.

eames
May 9, 2009

Are there any security benefits from using a Mac running Mojave with a normal user account instead of an admin account in 2019?

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
So I have a question that interests hardware and software. My sisters 2011 15" macbook pro (running yosemite) logic board died. I had an old 2010 13" macbook pro that I wasn't using so I removed her hard drive and put it in mine.

Everything worked but her time machine is asking whether she wants to create a new back up or inherit the old one. I did a google search and inherit seems to be the correct option because she can't use her old laptop anymore. My only concern are the people saying that if the computer names aren't the same it could cause issues. But since it's the same hard drive syncing to the same time machine backup there shouldn't be a naming issue right? Has anyone encountered this before? If there was even a 1% chance of her losing the backup (even if she had the original) I would never hear the end of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone having their system crashed during sleep by GoogleSoftwareUpdate?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Any way to not show the last used/visited folder whenever I open Finder?

I hate how it immediately goes back to the 10 folder deep view from Dropbox or elsewhere. I just want a clean showing of my top level folders. I've played around with its settings and can't find anything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Howard Phillips posted:

Any way to not show the last used/visited folder whenever I open Finder?

I hate how it immediately goes back to the 10 folder deep view from Dropbox or elsewhere. I just want a clean showing of my top level folders. I've played around with its settings and can't find anything.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

I'm stupid. Thanks for this.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You guys ever use Dropzone?
https://aptonic.com

I was looking for an easy way to quickly upload images to imgur and came across it.

It can also:
  • Send to Bitly/Google Drive/Airdrop/Messages/YouTube/Twitter
  • Automatically mount, install, unmount, and delete and .dmg file
  • Open Terminal and CD to any folder I drag to it
  • Move/Copy files to specific folders

I can't believe how often I'm using this thing. It's pretty great.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 3, 2019

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Gay Retard posted:

That looks pretty slick!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Gay Retard posted:

It's probably one of my most used apps along with Alfred. It has a lot of downloadable actions (here and here) and if you know ruby or python you can make it do anything you want.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Gay Retard posted:

I was looking for an easy way to quickly upload images to imgur and came across it.

It can also:
  • Send to Bitly/Google Drive/Airdrop/Messages/YouTube/Twitter
  • Automatically mount, install, unmount, and delete and .dmg file
  • Open Terminal and CD to any folder I drag to it
  • Move/Copy files to specific folders

I can't believe how often I'm using this thing. It's pretty great.

gmq posted:

It's probably one of my most used apps along with Alfred. It has a lot of downloadable actions (here and here) and if you know ruby or python you can make it do anything you want.

I'm positively tumescent.

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
I haven't had a mac in a while, but have a musician friend who's looking to buy a Mac laptop primarily to use Logic Pro. I've looked a the tech specs for it, but was wondering if those specs are usable or if you need more for it to not be miserable.

Logic Pro X Requirements
macOS 10.12 or later
4GB of RAM
OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later
256MB of VRAM
Logic Pro X requires 6GB of disk space for a minimum installation or up to 63GB of disk space for the full Sound Library installation

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PapaLazarou posted:

I haven't had a mac in a while, but have a musician friend who's looking to buy a Mac laptop primarily to use Logic Pro. I've looked a the tech specs for it, but was wondering if those specs are usable or if you need more for it to not be miserable.

Logic Pro X Requirements
macOS 10.12 or later
4GB of RAM
256MB of VRAM
Logic Pro X requires 6GB of disk space for a minimum installation or up to 63GB of disk space for the full Sound Library installation

Yeah you definitely want more ram.

The baseline should be 8GB but 16 would probably be best. What’s the budget? You could probably get a decent 15inch MBP off swappa for under $1000 that would do pretty drat well.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

PapaLazarou posted:

Logic Pro X Requirements
macOS 10.12 or later
4GB of RAM
256MB of VRAM

Yeah, definitely more RAM. It doesn’t require a beast system at all, I’m running Logic Pro X and Mainstage on an 8 year old i7 iMac with 12GB of RAM and not having any problems. As long as he gets something with 8GB or more of RAM and a <5yo CPU he’ll probably be fine unless he’s trying to work with 60+ simultaneous tracks or stack a bunch of VSTs/AUs.

Only other caveats: assume he’ll need at least 100GB of storage for Logic and all of its sample libraries and temp/scratch files (i.e. don’t get something with only 128GB storage, 250GB is probably the bare minimum) and if he’s planning on recording instruments or vocals (not just using samples and MIDI/USB controllers) he’ll probably want an external audio interface for both better sound quality and to offload work from his CPU. The FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 is pretty universally loved as a starter audio interface.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Personally, I've had good luck with the Behringer UMC22 on my 2018 rMBP. However, I've been looking at getting a unit with more than two inputs and I'll probably go with Focusrite this go around.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How is iCloud Drive data encrypted on Apples end? I know they use 256 bit encryption, but do they also hold keys which they could use to access iCloud data (assuming a court order or whatever legal authority goes through)?

I know Amazon S3 encrypts but can still access data as requested, but I forget what Apple does.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So the other day I was repairing a Late 2013 iMac, put in a new drive, decided to install Mojave.

Formatted the drive as APFS, then when I tried to install Mojave, installer told me I needed a firmware upgrade and to install on an HFS+ volume!

Seems kind of retarded to install in HFS+, then convert to APFS, but Apple is constantly underwhelming me with their bit rot tendencies

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with Resilio Sync. I've downloaded it on my three machines and added some of the folders I want to sync on my desktop to the two laptops (iTunes library, Traktor application data, Rekordbox library/app data) so I don't have to manually move my music and playlist data around. But I'm confused as to how this sync works exactly - will it actually copy the media to the other computers, or is it simply about pointing those applications at the sync'd folders from the desktop - not unlike having media on a network drive? How do I go about this? Thanks again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with Resilio Sync. I've downloaded it on my three machines and added some of the folders I want to sync on my desktop to the two laptops (iTunes library, Traktor application data, Rekordbox library/app data) so I don't have to manually move my music and playlist data around. But I'm confused as to how this sync works exactly - will it actually copy the media to the other computers, or is it simply about pointing those applications at the sync'd folders from the desktop - not unlike having media on a network drive? How do I go about this? Thanks again.

It’s a little personal Dropbox afaik. You put a file in the folder on one computer and it ends up in that folder on all the other computers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

How is iCloud Drive data encrypted on Apples end? I know they use 256 bit encryption, but do they also hold keys which they could use to access iCloud data (assuming a court order or whatever legal authority goes through)?

I know Amazon S3 encrypts but can still access data as requested, but I forget what Apple does.

If apple holds the keys they can be compelled by law enforcement to hand over customer data. If a product uses end-to-end encryption then Apple does not hold the keys and cannot read the data.

quote:

End-to-end encrypted data

End-to-end encryption provides the highest level of data security. Your data is protected with a key derived from information unique to your device, combined with your device passcode, which only you know. No one else can access or read this data.

These features and their data are transmitted and stored in iCloud using end-to-end encryption:

Home data
Health data (requires iOS 12 or later)
iCloud Keychain (includes all of your saved accounts and passwords)
Payment information
Quicktype Keyboard learned vocabulary (requires iOS 11 or later)
Screen Time
Siri information
Wi-Fi network information

To access your data on a new device, you might have to enter the passcode for an existing or former device.

Messages in iCloud also uses end-to-end encryption. If you have iCloud Backup turned on, your backup includes a copy of the key protecting your Messages. This ensures you can recover your Messages if you lose access to iCloud Keychain and your trusted devices. When you turn off iCloud Backup, a new key is generated on your device to protect future messages and isn't stored by Apple.

Anything not explicitly on that list and held in iCloud can be turned over.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does anyone use DEVONthink? Is it worth the price for the pro version?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone use DEVONthink? Is it worth the price for the pro version?

I have the Pro Office version specifically for the scanning/OCR and email features (sending and receiving). The OCR is especially useful because I can use it to index all the PDFs I've imported in the global search feature. The tagging feature is very intuitive and its organization features are very powerful.

I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case here's the comparison of the versions. Note there's multiple "tabs" on this page for feature comparison.

https://www.devontechnologies.com/products/devonthink/comparison.html

Honestly, I can't recommend the Pro Office version unless you need/want OCR like I did.

The nice thing about it is you can start with the Personal and then move to the Pro version if you need the features for only the price difference between the two.

The current branch (2.x) has been out for at least 8 or 9 years and they've been updating all along. It's pretty impressive the legs this thing has.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Proteus Jones posted:

I have the Pro Office version specifically for the scanning/OCR and email features (sending and receiving). The OCR is especially useful because I can use it to index all the PDFs I've imported in the global search feature. The tagging feature is very intuitive and its organization features are very powerful.

I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case here's the comparison of the versions. Note there's multiple "tabs" on this page for feature comparison.

https://www.devontechnologies.com/products/devonthink/comparison.html

Honestly, I can't recommend the Pro Office version unless you need/want OCR like I did.

The nice thing about it is you can start with the Personal and then move to the Pro version if you need the features for only the price difference between the two.

The current branch (2.x) has been out for at least 8 or 9 years and they've been updating all along. It's pretty impressive the legs this thing has.

I saw that link and yeah, I think the Pro Office version has features I wouldn't need, but I haven't decided if I wanted the Pro or the Personal versions. I'm leaning towards Pro but it only has a few features over the Personal variant that I think would be nice, but it's nice to be able to upgrade at-cost.

Violator
May 15, 2003

How the hell do you add stuff to the Extensions button on the Touch Bar? If I tap that button, it just displays an "Extension Preferences" button. If I tap that it takes me to the Extensions system pref. But there's nothing listed there in the Touch Bar section and I can't seem to add anything. It would be nice if I could add stuff like "Add selected text to new Ulysses note", or add bookmark, or whatever.

I'm trying to make this drat thing useful and I can't figure out how to do much customization. BetterTouchTool looks like it can do a lot of stuff, so maybe that's the road to go down but I'd like to see what I can do out of the box.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

How the hell do you add stuff to the Extensions button on the Touch Bar? If I tap that button, it just displays an "Extension Preferences" button. If I tap that it takes me to the Extensions system pref. But there's nothing listed there in the Touch Bar section and I can't seem to add anything. It would be nice if I could add stuff like "Add selected text to new Ulysses note", or add bookmark, or whatever.

I'm trying to make this drat thing useful and I can't figure out how to do much customization. BetterTouchTool looks like it can do a lot of stuff, so maybe that's the road to go down but I'd like to see what I can do out of the box.

Functions are tied pretty much entirely to apps afaik. You want to build some stuff in BTT for that.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Are any of the third party terminal apps particularly good for using with PowerShell? By that I guess I mostly mean behaving like the Windows PowerShell console.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Toast Museum posted:

Are any of the third party terminal apps particularly good for using with PowerShell? By that I guess I mostly mean behaving like the Windows PowerShell console.

Iterm2 is incredibly configurable and you can install powershell itself if you want?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Grassy Knowles posted:

Iterm2 is incredibly configurable and you can install powershell itself if you want?

Right, I'm using PowerShell as the shell (rather than bash), and I'd like to use it with a terminal app that's got a similar UI to the Windows PowerShell terminal. I'll check out Iterm2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone else get a weird glitch when they wake up their MBP where the entire display seems to be shifted up about 50%? At first I thought maybe it was my new 13" mbp going nuts but then I noticed my 13" MBP from last year at work doing the same. The password/Touch ID unlock text and textbook are at the top of the screen instead of the middle, the whole wallpaper seems to stop about halfway up. Once I unlock everything reverts back to normal.

My display is scaled for max size so IDK, maybe that's part of the problem? I don't remember this happening before though.

I'm going to submit a bug report to Apple but was just wondering whether anyone else experienced same.