Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Calibanibal posted:

i was a gifted child and i am now a gifted man

more like a gifted manchild lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oof. So much for stickying the thread. Now I know where most of Lowtax's spine money came from.

mods pls rename this thread "bump this thread whenever your brain is broken" that should keep it out of the archives

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yep, still broken

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You might be able to pm a mod about stickying the thread. As a sadbrain, I think it's a useful resource.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WrightOfWay posted:

You might be able to pm a mod about stickying the thread. As a sadbrain, I think it's a useful resource.

I'm wary of any PM/QCS communications with IKs/Mods/Admins because literally every interaction I've had with them (outside CSpam IKs) has been horrible and rude. Maybe I'm just a jerk!!

I'll ask either Sheng or logik or fau but I'm not holding my breath :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yep, still broken

CSpam Mental Health & Depression Thread: Yep, still broken

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Every time I start thinking about the implications of climate change I have to stop because as much as I think that we all sort of deserve to die the actual-factual breakdown and dissolution of human society will entail a ton of pain and horror. And y'know, the idea of that just sits at the back of my head buzzing around like flies on poo poo almost every day.

When I was a kid driving outside of the city during the summertime meant that your car got plastered with insects. Now no matter where I drive, whether around my hometown or across the Canadian prairie, my car comes out clean on the other side. And I look at it and realize that we're going to die.

Anyway, trumo. What a guy!

:agreed:

I've talked about my feelings on this before in the trump thread I think but climate change put a lot of my anxieties and issues into perspective; I swung around a little too much towards a YOLO mentality I think but I'm just focusing on enjoying life and my family and pets while I can.

I self-harmed for 6+ years. I have scars from my wrists to my shoulders. my forearms are pretty much covered except for the outer side. they've faded a lot but my arms are really bumpy and weird looking. I made a lot of mistakes. I did a lot of lovely things.

I managed to get a promotion to a supervisor position within 6 months of working what was basically my first real serious job, which is funny because I'm just a constant ball of anxiety and awkwardness. I have people tell me 'you look so calm even when you're handling 6 customers!' and I'm like lol thanks I'm dying inside

I'm not in therapy or on medication anymore. I was in therapy for 5ish years. I deal with ptsd and bpd (borderline, not bipolar) and anxiety. I was on a few different SSRIs, trazodone, klonopin I think, ritalin at one point, and one of those meds for addiction that was meant to treat my self-harm urges. in some ways I am much better now, being in a more stable environment, a good relationship, and with a job and shared income that meets our needs enough. I struggle with bpd a lot (mostly just anger/stress) but the self-harm and lovely impulses are gone.

I've never done drugs and I've only drank a beer or something on like, holidays, and I've literally never been drunk. my parents drank and fought a lot growing up so it really hosed with me. I also can't stand loud bass or noises and they cause me to have panic attacks lol. I don't drink caffeine either because it makes my insomnia worse and I had a heart problem when I was younger, and palpitations still now, so I just prefer to avoid it.

oh and the heart problem was SVT, I had to go to the hospital a lot, I was on beta blockers at 14-16 years old, and eventually had an ablation procedure done in my heart. it hasn't come back but jfc

I met my spouse through SA, I used to be a terrible little poo poo online and I was being mocked in a goon facebook group years back. most of it was when I was still a teenager. he reached out to me and eventually we ended up like this! together! with 4 rats! posting in the trump thread! :D

I had also met a pedo goon (he's perma'd so don't worry) when I was 14, which was the catalyst for pretty much all of the therapy, hospital stays, medications, and life events like dropping out of school, etc., and didn't get myself out of that situation until I met my current spouse.

hosed up but I wouldn't be here without him. thanks buddy

SA was a curse and a blessing. what a mess

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the one unit I was in at the psychiatric hospital was B5 and our motto was 'B5 stay alive'

I was in there 3 times, twice for a week each, and once for a month. it sucked. but I was also an angry stupid teenager.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

The Snoo posted:

stuff

My first interaction with goons was being griefed by the guild that spawned the YOGScast in World of fuckin Warcraft lol

Then I looked at SA and the first thread I saw was a guy that wanted to gently caress gently caress his stepmother

Obviously I had found my people

E: Kaybee if you're still here gently caress you

Mackers has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Mar 2, 2019

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
sorry

Zvahl has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Mar 5, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Snoo posted:

:agreed:

I've talked about my feelings on this before in the trump thread I think but climate change put a lot of my anxieties and issues into perspective; I swung around a little too much towards a YOLO mentality I think but I'm just focusing on enjoying life and my family and pets while I can.

I self-harmed for 6+ years. I have scars from my wrists to my shoulders. my forearms are pretty much covered except for the outer side. they've faded a lot but my arms are really bumpy and weird looking. I made a lot of mistakes. I did a lot of lovely things.

I managed to get a promotion to a supervisor position within 6 months of working what was basically my first real serious job, which is funny because I'm just a constant ball of anxiety and awkwardness. I have people tell me 'you look so calm even when you're handling 6 customers!' and I'm like lol thanks I'm dying inside

I'm not in therapy or on medication anymore. I was in therapy for 5ish years. I deal with ptsd and bpd (borderline, not bipolar) and anxiety. I was on a few different SSRIs, trazodone, klonopin I think, ritalin at one point, and one of those meds for addiction that was meant to treat my self-harm urges. in some ways I am much better now, being in a more stable environment, a good relationship, and with a job and shared income that meets our needs enough. I struggle with bpd a lot (mostly just anger/stress) but the self-harm and lovely impulses are gone.

I've never done drugs and I've only drank a beer or something on like, holidays, and I've literally never been drunk. my parents drank and fought a lot growing up so it really hosed with me. I also can't stand loud bass or noises and they cause me to have panic attacks lol. I don't drink caffeine either because it makes my insomnia worse and I had a heart problem when I was younger, and palpitations still now, so I just prefer to avoid it.

oh and the heart problem was SVT, I had to go to the hospital a lot, I was on beta blockers at 14-16 years old, and eventually had an ablation procedure done in my heart. it hasn't come back but jfc

I met my spouse through SA, I used to be a terrible little poo poo online and I was being mocked in a goon facebook group years back. most of it was when I was still a teenager. he reached out to me and eventually we ended up like this! together! with 4 rats! posting in the trump thread! :D

I had also met a pedo goon (he's perma'd so don't worry) when I was 14, which was the catalyst for pretty much all of the therapy, hospital stays, medications, and life events like dropping out of school, etc., and didn't get myself out of that situation until I met my current spouse.

hosed up but I wouldn't be here without him. thanks buddy

I'm really sorry about all the poo poo you had to go through, but from what I've read in the Trump thread, you've carved out happiness for yourself. :) If things get bad again, though, consider a DBT course. It owns all the bones

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zvahl posted:

yes I know I'm sorry large fries and I'll pull ahead sorry

thank you sir, we're also having a special where you get a free PM with any purchase of fries

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
popping back in 2 say that one of the things that can help alleviate anxiety to some extent is to watch nina turner's speech from the bernie rally today

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

crazy cloud posted:

popping back in 2 say that one of the things that can help alleviate anxiety to some extent is to watch nina turner's speech from the bernie rally today

also good for: breaking through anhedonia, alleviating hopelessness, and getting hyped for bernie

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

crazy cloud posted:

do you have a link?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

do you have a link?

https://youtu.be/6Yg9MfgdbRg?t=935

Nina rules :)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Thanks!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Finicums Wake posted:

also good for: breaking through anhedonia, alleviating hopelessness, and getting hyped for bernie

that's my secret cap, I'm always hype for bernie

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Know the feeling. Depression makes me feel like there's nothing I even like, whats the point etc etc etc

I would hope you have access to correct meds and a shrink. It's self-fulfilling bullshit.

I mean your depression sounds fuckin horrendous. I don't have it as bad and I'm a weirdo nihilist alcoholic. So uh good job surviving that

Mackers has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Mar 3, 2019

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
It's in my DNA cause my pops like to get hosed up the same way
It's in my DNA cause my moms like to get hosed up the same way
DNA, DNA cause my fam like to get hosed up the same way
DNA, DNA cause my fam like to get hosed up the same way

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys
Bumping this thread because it should stay on the first page imo, it's good poo poo.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh yeah, brain still broken today btw

Unable to log off

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Chokes McGee posted:

coming off Effexor is gross so good luck. if you get the brain zaps at least take comfort in knowing you won’t be the first or last

I quit klonopin cold turkey, effexor can lick my rear end in a top hat. It's hard to focus and my head feels full and I have muscle twitches, but I'm not having multi hour marathon panic attacks so I'm going to be fine. Gonna watch that Nina speech later once we're done throwing a birthday party for the kid who's staying with us since he and his dad got evicted.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pre-op bebop posted:

Bumping this thread because it should stay on the first page imo, it's good poo poo.

I'm gonna go ahead and message logik to see if he'd be willing to sticky the thread. Maybe he'll be nice about it if the answer is no? :shrug:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They were the one mod that enabled the Happy thread to exist troll free so yeah go with them

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Oh yeah, brain still broken today btw

Unable to log off

who the gently caress keeps scraeming at me to practice self care in my house.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
holy poo poo that was quick :stare:

thanks logik!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
THank you!!!!!!!!

edit: Thank you!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

you know what sucks?

I do.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Life is really kicking my rear end around lately. I often get these bouts of extreme physical weakness which I found out a few years ago are caused by iron-deficiency anemia. They inserted cameras into every part of me, because the usual cause for this condition is untreated blood loss. They couldn’t find anything, so they just sent me home with iron and vitamin C pills and told me to come back and get tested again in a few months.

It comes and goes, but when it’s particularly bad like it has been these past few weeks, just getting out of bed to take a shower can be so exhausting that I nearly pass out. I had to shovel my sidewalk this morning, and it took me about 5 trips to clear my little 50 foot section of sidewalk because I had to keep going back inside to lie down. Whenever I’m not working, I’m sleeping because I sleep 12+ hours a day now. The depression isn’t helping either.

As an American, I consider myself incredibly lucky to have a job that offers somewhat decent health insurance (after I meet my $3,500 deductible lol). Every single day, I get so much anxiety thinking about how hosed I’ll be if I lose my job, or my insurance company decides that I’m costing them too much money to cover. Then I get infuriated when I think about all the people who are glad that I’m in this position because it forces me to make money for my company’s owners. Sometimes it all gets to be too much, and I drink a lot or score some benzos just so I can forget about everything for a few hours. Fortunately, I’ve been doing that a lot less than I used to, but there are still days when it’s all just too much.

Sometimes I wonder how many people get married to people they don’t really love just because they’re terrified of getting sick and dying alone. I used to tell myself I would never do that, but now I’m not so sure. Going through serious medical poo poo without a single family member or friend to sit there with you is loving scary.

Also, I really, really want to get a kitty again so I’ll have some companionship in my dumb, lonely house, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to take good enough care of one. :(

I just needed to type for awhile. Glad the thread is stickied now. I hope everyone is managing as best they can.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

mekyabetsu posted:

Life is really kicking my rear end around lately. I often get these bouts of extreme physical weakness which I found out a few years ago are caused by iron-deficiency anemia. They inserted cameras into every part of me, because the usual cause for this condition is untreated blood loss. They couldn’t find anything, so they just sent me home with iron and vitamin C pills and told me to come back and get tested again in a few months.

It comes and goes, but when it’s particularly bad like it has been these past few weeks, just getting out of bed to take a shower can be so exhausting that I nearly pass out. I had to shovel my sidewalk this morning, and it took me about 5 trips to clear my little 50 foot section of sidewalk because I had to keep going back inside to lie down. Whenever I’m not working, I’m sleeping because I sleep 12+ hours a day now. The depression isn’t helping either.

As an American, I consider myself incredibly lucky to have a job that offers somewhat decent health insurance (after I meet my $3,500 deductible lol). Every single day, I get so much anxiety thinking about how hosed I’ll be if I lose my job, or my insurance company decides that I’m costing them too much money to cover. Then I get infuriated when I think about all the people who are glad that I’m in this position because it forces me to make money for my company’s owners. Sometimes it all gets to be too much, and I drink a lot or score some benzos just so I can forget about everything for a few hours. Fortunately, I’ve been doing that a lot less than I used to, but there are still days when it’s all just too much.

Sometimes I wonder how many people get married to people they don’t really love just because they’re terrified of getting sick and dying alone. I used to tell myself I would never do that, but now I’m not so sure. Going through serious medical poo poo without a single family member or friend to sit there with you is loving scary.

Also, I really, really want to get a kitty again so I’ll have some companionship in my dumb, lonely house, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to take good enough care of one. :(

I just needed to type for awhile. Glad the thread is stickied now. I hope everyone is managing as best they can.

A friend of mine when I was younger had anemia and it sucked, she looked like a vampire sometimes, and had these Victorian style fainting spells.

Have you tried getting more iron in your diet? It is of course worrying that you have the symptoms of someone who is losing blood, but perhaps it's actually an issue with absorption? In any case having a more iron rich diet might help alleviate some of the symptoms while they figure out what is happening?

There are various ways to add iron to your diet, and even just cooking more in a cast iron skillet is said to help.

In any case, it sounds very draining, good luck OP

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

you know what sucks?

I do.

:thunk:

*checks*

nah

mekyabetsu posted:

if you're self medicating and have health insurance you gotta see a p-doc op. You shouldn't have to live with that level of anxiety and depression and boozing is gonna make it a million times worse and probably not helping with the anemia either :smith:

Deffo recommend a kitty, all you have to do is scoop/change their litter and leave food out for them. They'll handle the rest. You'll still have to clean up after their hairballs and occasionally take them to the vet but they're so low maintenance they're a great companion animal. Just don't expect them to be all up in your face and business with cheer like a dogie will

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twoday posted:

A friend of mine when I was younger had anemia and it sucked, she looked like a vampire sometimes, and had these Victorian style fainting spells.

gdi how many times do I have to tell cspam to stop doxxing me!!!!!!!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my brain worked a little better than usual today I cleaned a bunch of poo poo out of my closet but now I'm up at 2 am and farting everywhere

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

twoday posted:

Have you tried getting more iron in your diet? It is of course worrying that you have the symptoms of someone who is losing blood, but perhaps it's actually an issue with absorption? In any case having a more iron rich diet might help alleviate some of the symptoms while they figure out what is happening?

There are various ways to add iron to your diet, and even just cooking more in a cast iron skillet is said to help.

In any case, it sounds very draining, good luck OP

Okay, that little iron fishy is rad. :3:

I take iron supplements, and they do help my iron levels. Vitamin C also helps with iron absorption, so I usually take my iron with orange juice or a vitamin C tablet. The problem is that it takes time to build up iron stores after they’ve been depleted, so even though I start taking the supplements as soon as I start getting the familiar symptoms, it takes a couple weeks to start feeling better. During those weeks, I’m just completely drained. The supplements also upset my stomach and cause constipation, so I don’t like to take them if I don’t have to. I’ve been working on getting more natural iron sources into my diet.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poniard posted:

my brain worked a little better than usual today I cleaned a bunch of poo poo out of my closet but now I'm up at 2 am and farting everywhere

livin the life

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Farting in solidarity over here.

Zyla posted:

you know what sucks?

I do.

Bullshit :)

mekyabetsu posted:

If you want to test the waters or are afraid it might be too much of a long term commitment, maybe look into fostering or volunteering at a shelter (to whatever extent that your schedule/health allows) :)

PerilPastry has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Mar 4, 2019

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
need to reduce my drinkin but my brain loves to remind me "you like approx 2 other things in the world"

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Any tips for dealing with a boring as poo poo job that drags on and with no PTO, benefits, or healthcare?

You would think I would be used to this by now, since this is my third contract office job since I got my masters degree :suicide:

I am seeing a therapist and taking antidepressants, but it still feels like I'll be stuck in this neoliberal hell called life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Equeen posted:

Any tips for dealing with a boring as poo poo job that drags on and with no PTO, benefits, or healthcare?

You would think I would be used to this by now, since this is my third contract office job since I got my masters degree :suicide:

I am seeing a therapist and taking antidepressants, but it still feels like I'll be stuck in this neoliberal hell called life.

is there any way you can find a better job outside of contracting, even if it pays a little less? the best coping strategy for a miserable situation is to change the situation as much as possible.

I don’t know how much you make but don’t automatically write off places like Costco because it’s some sort of shameful step down, go with what makes you happy even if you have to give some trappings up