Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The “please put in some effort Ann Takamaki” would land better if she wasn’t already busting rear end being a Phantom Thief. She has something she’s passionate about and it’s grinding bad people to dust.

I understand the larger point which is that she should have some direction but every time the Slink brought up her goofing off it was right after we kicked in another palace lmao she already has something she’s good and works hard for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The system is not wrong, these women failing to fit into the system is what's wrong.

While I fundamentally agree with the things you're saying, it seems sort of weird to criticize the game for not deconstructing the real-life issues of the entertainment industry where the sorts of things that you're saying about Rise and Ann happen literally all the time. The fundamental question of what motivates women to continue to support these institutions and the systematic exploitation of the modeling and idol industries are just outside the scope of the game and I don't think would be possible to fully explore these ideas in how short a time the social links are. You're talking about full-on documentaries and investigative journalism here, not a Persona side-story that ends with you summoning Satan.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alacron posted:

Fair. Off the top of my head the only anime or video game I've seen that was a hard take down of that kind of poo poo was Perfect Blue. Everything else has just been some form of "Aren't idols great!"

It's its own can of worms I guess

Also fair, but I see it as less "Get your poo poo together Ann" and more "Jesus girl at least put in some effort"

To be clear: I don't want to be totally dismissive of all the positive things you said about Ann's social link. Like you said, there's some good stuff in there and I do like Ann having a arc where she learns to be more dedicated and hard working (and how that ties into Shiho's struggle with her physical therapy), it just that it also has some problematic elements in it that are never really properly addressed or even really acknowledged and that really bug me.

Also, thanks for reminding me that Perfect Blue exists, I should really re-watch that movie because it's super good.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

To be clear: I don't want to be totally dismissive of all the positive things you said about Ann's social link. Like you said, there's some good stuff in there and I do like Ann having a arc where she learns to be more dedicated and hard working (and how that ties into Shiho's struggle with her physical therapy), it just that it also has some problematic elements in it that are never really properly addressed or even really acknowledged and that really bug me.

Also, thanks for reminding me that Perfect Blue exists, I should really re-watch that movie because it's super good.

I feel ya, I know I have my own pet peeves in stories that make me tear my drat hair out sometimes.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Alacron posted:

Fair. Off the top of my head the only anime or video game I've seen that was a hard take down of that kind of poo poo was Perfect Blue. Everything else has just been some form of "Aren't idols great!"

Oh, I think I can think of one, see below.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

While I fundamentally agree with the things you're saying, it seems sort of weird to criticize the game for not deconstructing the real-life issues of the entertainment industry where the sorts of things that you're saying about Rise and Ann happen literally all the time. The fundamental question of what motivates women to continue to support these institutions and the systematic exploitation of the modeling and idol industries are just outside the scope of the game and I don't think would be possible to fully explore these ideas in how short a time the social links are. You're talking about full-on documentaries and investigative journalism here, not a Persona side-story that ends with you summoning Satan.

True enough, I suppose, when that game is P4 or P5 (you could be talking about either though you probably meant 5). However, if my semi-hazy memories are correct, that's exactly what you get in Persona 2. In more ways than one. The idol singer system is specifically targeted, as the evil villains (or one of them) wrap one of your PCs and some of her friends (or just her friends?) up in it and actually magically prey on the wishes of teenage girls. The villain (yes, he's essentially a particular Jungian archetype and thus not entirely not the Batman villain) gets his own eponymous idol song!

And that's not the only way the entertainment, or at least media, industry gets it in that game. (Er games, if you could both parts separately, though they're joined at the hip.) There's the way bullshit, rumor-mongering fake news is used by villains and leads to a hyper-literalized contemporary resurgence of Nazism, and if it feels like we're trapped living in a reality predicted (obviously by coincidence of course!) by some 20-year old video game, well, there it is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

sponges posted:

Seems like this game has some poor writing. Is it still worth playing? I loved 4.

It was my GOTY and it's very worth playing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Onomarchus posted:

Oh, I think I can think of one, see below.

Ehhhhh I don't really think I would consider MUSES a "takedown," or even remotely a targeted critique of the idol industry, because it doesn't actually...have anything to do with the industry itself. The way the situation plays out is a record producer calls the JOKER to make him successful, but the Monkeys Paw is that the music group he forms drains people of their Ideal Energy. And...that's about it. A totally different character wants more success with women, and so he calls JOKER, who gives him the power to recruit more women for the villains. So in that same vein, they "target" the idol industry in the exact same way they target...dating. Or fortune-telling. The game makes no attempt at a broader commentary on the issue, it's just used as a backdrop for the template of "you need to beat this bad guy."

Let's also not forget that ATLUS also made Tokyo Mirage Sessions, an entire Persona spinoff game explicitly about the idol industry and entertainment industry as a whole, and was very much in the "trying to portray them in a positive light" camp. So, I think anyone hoping for the Persona series to have anything other than a pretty positive representation of the "the industry" is going to be consistently disappointed.

Also, I am not entirely sure the "this game parallels the current political climate" is one you want to pursue, since essentially the Nazis were totally made up, only able to become real once "reality had been weakened" though the spread of misinformation - the Nazi threat itself being entirely an invention of the media, fed to them by Nyarlotep to prove humans would destroy themselves. Which is I think uh, not what you meant to imply.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

sponges posted:

Seems like this game has some poor writing. Is it still worth playing? I loved 4.

It's not perfect but it's definitely one of my favorite games of last year.

Kaza42 posted:

Pretty much. Her showdown scene with Kamoshida is fantastic, as is her discussion of how she views the sexy catburglar as a power fantasy. But the way she's animated just makes her eye candy rather than empowered, and there's that creepy stripping thing in the second arc (along with a bunch of other small examples). They were soooo close to getting it right

I liked her relationship dynamic with Ryuji!

The part where she's completely okay sleeping in a room with three of her male friends because she trusts them instead of viewing them as insatiable rapists was pretty progressive for Japan, and kinda sweet.

Kaza42 posted:

This feels weird to me. P4 had by far my least favorite story of the three recent personas. It was just... slow and dull for the most part? It lacks the character depth of Persona 3, or the energy of Persona 5. What about P4 appealed to you that much?

Yeah, P4 has my least favorite story of any of the Persona games.

It was basically about teenagers coming of age in a rather dull way, with most of the characters being lame. The FATE OF THE WORLD plot could not have felt more tacked on.

P3 suffers from the fact that it was the first game of the modern personas and there are MASSIVE periods of just "Go to Tartarus" and then "hit up the arcade for more stats" at night because you've run out of things to do, but the good parts are just so cool.

I like how the story in P3 felt like it had more gravitas. There was never a moment I took P4 half as seriously as I did when say, Shinji gets shot in P3. The P3 mc is basically the only modern persona protagonist to have any kind of character development (as reflected in their dialogue choices), and frankly not even Ken came remotely close to annoying me as much as Teddie, who basically ruins every scene he's in.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 4, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cuntellectual posted:

not even Ken came remotely close to annoying me as much as Teddie, who basically ruins every scene he's in.

:hai:

No sympathy for Teddie apologists

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only "gravitas" of Persona 3 is that its plot and characters are insanely loving boring. Also the original protagonist is godawful, what are you talking about?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Persona 4 had a good story because Chie was my friend. Even if she wanted to be a cop.

Persona 4 is a game of contrasts.

This is basically why I love P4. The plot is whatever, the allure lies in the characters and the retaionships. P2 Innocent Sin and Persona 4 Golden are my favorite Persona games because:
1. They revolve around strong themes of friendship which might be a cliche but cliches are good when executed well and IMO, these games execute the theme perfectly.
2. The world is interesting. Sumaru City and Inaba are so much more alive than P3's island and P5's Tokyo. They're almost characters in their own right.

Long before I played Persona I was told P4 is a game you play to relax and hang out with your buddies. No stress, just fun. It's the most light-hearted murder mystery of all time.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ehhhhh I don't really think I would consider MUSES a "takedown," or even remotely a targeted critique of the idol industry, because it doesn't actually...have anything to do with the industry itself. The way the situation plays out is a record producer calls the JOKER to make him successful, but the Monkeys Paw is that the music group he forms drains people of their Ideal Energy. And...that's about it. A totally different character wants more success with women, and so he calls JOKER, who gives him the power to recruit more women for the villains. So in that same vein, they "target" the idol industry in the exact same way they target...dating. Or fortune-telling. The game makes no attempt at a broader commentary on the issue, it's just used as a backdrop for the template of "you need to beat this bad guy."

Let's also not forget that ATLUS also made Tokyo Mirage Sessions, an entire Persona spinoff game explicitly about the idol industry and entertainment industry as a whole, and was very much in the "trying to portray them in a positive light" camp. So, I think anyone hoping for the Persona series to have anything other than a pretty positive representation of the "the industry" is going to be consistently disappointed.

Also, I am not entirely sure the "this game parallels the current political climate" is one you want to pursue, since essentially the Nazis were totally made up, only able to become real once "reality had been weakened" though the spread of misinformation - the Nazi threat itself being entirely an invention of the media, fed to them by Nyarlotep to prove humans would destroy themselves. Which is I think uh, not what you meant to imply.

My interpretation of Innocent Sin was that it was basically parodying other games and fantasy stories and the like.

We all know how things go down in RPGs. Ancient prophecies, bad omens, the end of the world is nigh, etc.. There's a whole oracle that sounds fittingly mystical and ominous. But P2 flips this all on its head because, while it does continue prophecies, omens and the end of the world, all of this is strictly the delusions of three people. The problem is that, because one of these people has magic powers and is also a terrorist, he starts to make others believe in his nonsense about Mayan Aliens and the city being the cover for an ancient UFO. Now, in this magic universe, rumors become real. As such, as panic grows, people start to believe this patently absurd nonsense. The rumors become real, Nazis invade to seize the UFO, and destroy the world.

It's such a...video game plot yet it is lampshaded to Hell. All this stuff is treated like total nonsense and a joke, because it is, but then it becomes terrifyingly real. My favorite part is when our heroes triumphantly confront the main villain and are like "we have the Quest Iems! You stand no chance now!" And his response is to...laugh in their faces and chuck the item to the ground like worthless trash. Because it is worthless trash. It means nothing. None of this has meant anything. It's all been a farce, a mockery of the kind of story that might be treated 100% straight in another game.

Of course there's an element of tragedy to all this, too. Jun's father really did want to help the world, and Tatsuya Sudou was just some poor lonely kid who was probably Nyarly's first victim as rumors about this awkward outcast being a dangerous pyromaniac were made real. They wanted to change the world for the better but they did it by giving up on reality and making up grand fantasies.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Personally I feel like the p4 cast tends to be so awful to each other I have no idea why half of them hang out with each other.

Yosuke is a complete dickhead, Teddie is annoying, and what is there about Yukiko that would ever make people want to be friends with her?

Like, Naoto, Kanji, Rise, Chie, they at least seem like they'd be people you might want to hang out with. They have defined interests, and good points.

What does Yosuke even like?

e: Honestly, Chie's 'violence over nothing' schtick is played out at best.

Arist posted:

The only "gravitas" of Persona 3 is that its plot and characters are insanely loving boring. Also the original protagonist is godawful, what are you talking about?

He at least changes his attitude over the course of the game, instead of starting at 0 courage and charm and being the suavest motherfucker to ever live.

And I mean, P3 at least attempts to deal in things like being raised in a bad home, or dealing with fear of death.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 4, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
p3's "memento mori" theme is really loving funny in retrospect because it limits the thanatos complex to the mere existential ennui that characterized the early oughts, whereas now we have many more people who absolutely don't care if they die because it's clear that the future is desolate no matter what

if nyx descended on the world in 2020 it'd be like stomping on an anthill only to hear a million tiny voices go "thaaaank yooooou"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

p3's "memento mori" theme is really loving funny in retrospect because it limits the thanatos complex to the mere existential ennui that characterized the early oughts, whereas now we have many more people who absolutely don't care if they die because it's clear that the future is desolate no matter what

if nyx descended on the world in 2020 it'd be like stomping on an anthill only to hear a million tiny voices go "thaaaank yooooou"

I mean, the entire reason Nyx was going to end the world was because people wanted it.

That said I think you're projecting the views of the sort of person who spends their time on SA onto the average person.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cuntellectual posted:

e: Honestly, Chie's 'violence over nothing' schtick is played out at best

Chie likes Kung-Fu movies and steak and gives you a stick of meat-flavored gum that helps you solve a quest and you can have a dream about dressing up as Luchadore's together and if thats not the tightest poo poo ever you can get out of my face

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Chie likes Kung-Fu movies and steak and gives you a stick of meat-flavored gum that helps you solve a quest and you can have a dream about dressing up as Luchadore's together and if thats not the tightest poo poo ever you can get out of my face

I probably wouldn't want to hang out with someone who beat me up over trivial things, no.

Kanji has more self control by comparison. Kanji.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Comedic Anime Violence is one of the things in persona that should probably be retired for future entries, it does not have a great track record

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its lower down the scale than a lot of other creepy poo poo like sexualizing minors, outright pedophilia (hi Ken) or all the hosed up sexual dynamics going on with high schoolers dating their teacher/doctor/etc.
Or the gay panic and transphobia.

But yeah it should probably be addressed too. P5 at least mostly didn't have it except for the one scene where they almost beat Ryuji to death for ... saving everyone's life and almost dying.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zore posted:

But yeah it should probably be addressed too. P5 at least mostly didn't have it except for the one scene where they almost beat Ryuji to death for ... saving everyone's life and almost dying.

Have you ever seen an anime

hitting someone being played as a joke is not going anywhere for a LONG time

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah Makoto's social link reads more like it's actually the other girl's. Pretty much every single social link in the game involves character growth, which is sort of supposed to be the point of these things, but Makoto does not grow or learn anything at all, she just ends up being right as usual. The entire setup is kind of silly, too, where her initial goal is "I need to connect with my classmates" and then it immediately leaves that behind for doing a crime investigation in the red-light district with her takeaway being that she wants to be a cop. The whole idea of her even needing a social link is sort of undercut by her character having essentially no major flaws. She's "supposed" to be socially naive but that character trait disappears the second they need her to move the plot forward. poo poo, she's even the one who needs to tell you you're not charming enough to pretend to be her boyfriend. So much for her calling people to the student council office for friendship interviews, seems you jumped that hurdle pretty quick, huh.

Ann was sort of the same way, where you're constantly trying to help her solve this non-existent pretend problem, and as a result the most interesting parts of hers are the parts with Shiho.

Her major hurdle is always that she has to rely on her authority as a lawbringer to reel in crooks and when that doesnt work she ends up in mor trouble as well as understanding her own desire of why is she trying to be a cop like her father. But her experiences in life is one where she is seen as someon you take orders from. Even among the thieves she is more of Joker's left hand commander who gives out the nitty gritty of their targets rather people they hang out with.

Rhen she meets the first person in her life that is a genuine friend in the making and she has her own problems with her own desires of independence and how to acquire that. She isnt poor or lacking in looks or connections but she had a toxic desire that is filled out ith working a sleazy job and a sleazier boyfriend. Makoto still having her desire to fight for justice of others decided to get your help to deal with him and you two work together to bring down the conman. This experience was meant to help Makoto find genuine empathy as a person so she doesnt have distorted desires like her sister where the only result that matter is success

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zore posted:

Its lower down the scale than a lot of other creepy poo poo like sexualizing minors, outright pedophilia (hi Ken) or all the hosed up sexual dynamics going on with high schoolers dating their teacher/doctor/etc.
Or the gay panic and transphobia.

They beat the poo poo out of him because they genuinely thought he was dead and they were grief-stricken over it... and then he showed up completely unhurt and started making fun of them for crying.

Like, don't get me wrong, he didn't deserve to get the poo poo beat out of him for it, but people tend to react poorly to having their feelings of grief shat all over like that, and it genuinely weirds me out that goons keep reacting to this scene as if Ryuji did nothing wrong at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he had no idea why they were grief-stricken and his only explanation consisted of a slap upside the head before the others waded in

it was a poor, lazy gag that undermined what would have otherwise been a decent moment

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I mean, the entire reason Nyx was going to end the world was because people wanted it.

That said I think you're projecting the views of the sort of person who spends their time on SA onto the average person.

Check out antinatalism,negative utilitarianism, the works of Arthur Schopenhauer and maybe Buddhism or Hinduism.

"Life sucks" is not a niche idea to SA. I dare say it has more philosophical worth than that.

And Yosuke likes going for rides on his scooter and looking for girls. But honestly, he has an amazing work ethic and most of his character is defined by loyalty to his job and family.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I don't have the clips uploaded or on hand at the moment but that scene with Ryuji was originally actually a little bit longer than in the final game. It was pretty much more of the same poo poo though of them getting mad and ryuji being clueless

Instead of cutting it down, they should have maybe cut it out and change it but hey, that's just me

EDIT: lmfao they basically threaten to kill him right before they beat him up or whatever. "I'll make sure to pick up your bones." - actual unused Makoto quote

EDIT 2: also it looks like there was originally a dialogue tree and yes, you could be complicit in ryuji's half-murder

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 4, 2019

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

Personally I feel like the p4 cast tends to be so awful to each other I have no idea why half of them hang out with each other.

Yosuke is a complete dickhead, Teddie is annoying, and what is there about Yukiko that would ever make people want to be friends with her?

Like, Naoto, Kanji, Rise, Chie, they at least seem like they'd be people you might want to hang out with. They have defined interests, and good points.

What does Yosuke even like?

Yosuke is a teenager, good lord. I sure as hell didn't have an established niche in life at 16!

Some of P4's characters might come across dull if you're looking for exaggerated superheroes.

They're mostly kids in a small japanese town with small japanese town kid problems.

They treat each other like poo poo sometimes because people treat other people like poo poo sometimes.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lord Of Texas posted:

Yosuke is a teenager, good lord. I sure as hell didn't have an established niche in life at 16!

Some of P4's characters might come across dull if you're looking for exaggerated superheroes.

They're mostly kids in a small japanese town with small japanese town kid problems.

They treat each other like poo poo sometimes because people treat other people like poo poo sometimes.

By the time I was 16 I could say there were things I cared about.

Yosuke kinda likes girls, I guess, but he's basically hung up over that dead girl that hated him so it's not something that really comes up.

Yes, I know why they have boring problems. The problem isn't that they don't make sense; It's that they're boring.

Yosuke literally accuses Kanji of being an insatiable rapist. He's not even teasing him. He actually thinks that little of him.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Lord Of Texas posted:

Except for the one who is a magical bear-thing from another dimension. (Do we need to spoiler-protect for P4? Hope not, since that led to the funnest twist.)

And the one who is a famous singer-star.

And the one who is a high schooler detective with a gun, famous also.

Honestly, I didn't mean to pick on you, I just couldn't resist the retort

Cuntellectual posted:

And I mean, P3 at least attempts to deal in things like being raised in a bad home, or dealing with fear of death.

P5 tries to deal in being raised in a bad home. Or maybe it was a no-home, I guess. (Some of the details on..."that," I only got out-of-game and I don't think are even in it.) I don't think I need spoiler tags being this oblique.

More broadly, P3, P4, and P5 are each like different seasons of or takes on an anime'd video gamized Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Different people are going to like different seasons, but the overall formula is quite the same.

It wasn't until a few minutes ago that I even began to think of Shido as a (very lacking) take on Mayor Wilkins. Hmm.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

By the time I was 16 I could say there were things I cared about.

Yosuke kinda likes girls, I guess, but he's basically hung up over that dead girl that hated him so it's not something that really comes up.

Yes, I know why they have boring problems. The problem isn't that they don't make sense; It's that they're boring.

Yosuke literally accuses Kanji of being an insatiable rapist. He's not even teasing him. He actually thinks that little of him.

I guess boring is in the eye of the beholder. Most of the core cast and social link characters have inter and intra-personal conflicts that are grounded and relatable to me.

E.g. At the very beginning of the game, Yosuke gets roasted by his shadow for investigating the murder because he was bored. That's not your typical Lawful Good hero writing, it gives Yosuke clear flaws and a lot of room for personal growth and introspection that gets explored in his social link dialogue.

Nanako/Dojima-san's relationship, Ai, Yumi, the nurse whose name I can't remember, Chie/Yukiko's relationship... all conflicts I found interesting, as spices that added flavor to the reason I'm running around dungeons punching floating dice and sentient tanks.

quote:

Except for the one who is a magical bear-thing from another dimension. (Do we need to spoiler-protect for P4? Hope not, since that led to the funnest twist.)

And the one who is a famous singer-star.

And the one who is a high schooler detective with a gun, famous also.

Honestly, I didn't mean to pick on you, I just couldn't resist the retort

Haha very fair. But to that point, even the "famous" characters deal with a lot of small-town conflicts, and their fame is mostly in the background. Teddie is confused horny Jar-Jar.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 4, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Onomarchus posted:

More broadly, P3, P4, and P5 are each like different seasons of or takes on an anime'd video gamized Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Different people are going to like different seasons, but the overall formula is quite the same.

It wasn't until a few minutes ago that I even began to think of Shido as a (very lacking) take on Mayor Wilkins. Hmm.

So what you're saying is Persona 6 needs to have an equivalent to Glory and it will be the best Persona game. I can get behind that.

I dunno why but I feel like Persona 4 is Buffy Season 4. Maybe just because they involve 4? I don't even really like S4. It did introduce Tara though.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

So what you're saying is Persona 6 needs to have an equivalent to Glory and it will be the best Persona game. I can get behind that.

I dunno why but I feel like Persona 4 is Buffy Season 4. Maybe just because they involve 4? I don't even really like S4. It did introduce Tara though.

Persona 4 is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lord Of Texas posted:

I guess boring is in the eye of the beholder. Most of the core cast and social link characters have inter and intra-personal conflicts that are grounded and relatable to me.

Pretty much. They were completely unrelateable to me, I could identify with characters in P3 more. :shrug:

Onomarchus posted:

P5 tries to deal in being raised in a bad home. Or maybe it was a no-home, I guess. (Some of the details on..."that," I only got out-of-game and I don't think are even in it.) I don't think I need spoiler tags being this oblique.

Yeah but I was comparing it to P4.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Onomarchus posted:

Only played P5 so have no dog in the arguments about 3 and 4 but this reminds me (and I might be digressing cause you could be referring to any number of characters here; that is a theme for almost all of them) -- what is the deal with Joker's family? You spend like nine months living with a stranger with probation hanging over your head and there's not a single mention of his parents outside Sojiro briefly explaining the arrangement they made IIRC, much less a phone call or any actual communication. And at the end of the game you just go back home to live with them and it's all cool? Didn't hinder my enjoyment but that was one of the things, having no anime/little JRPG experience when I first played, that left me asking "is this weirdly underwritten or is this just how Japan works?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Only played P5 so have no dog in the arguments about 3 and 4 but this reminds me (and I might be digressing cause you could be referring to any number of characters here; that is a theme for almost all of them) -- what is the deal with Joker's family? You spend like nine months living with a stranger with probation hanging over your head and there's not a single mention of his parents outside Sojiro briefly explaining the arrangement they made IIRC, much less a phone call or any actual communication. And at the end of the game you just go back home to live with them and it's all cool? Didn't hinder my enjoyment but that was one of the things, having no anime/little JRPG experience when I first played, that left me asking "is this weirdly underwritten or is this just how Japan works?"

it's weirdly underwritten. the last two games also had non-existent parental figures but for better reasons (p3's was orphaned, p4's was just living abroad with his uncle for the year), so it looks like they decided to keep that tradition rolling with p5 without taking the protag's circumstances into account, which just makes mr and mrs joker come off as a wee bit neglectful

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

it's weirdly underwritten. the last two games also had non-existent parental figures but for better reasons (p3's was orphaned, p4's was just living abroad with his uncle for the year), so it looks like they decided to keep that tradition rolling with p5 without taking the protag's circumstances into account, which just makes mr and mrs joker come off as a wee bit neglectful

To be fair: the Persona 4's protag's parents also come off as pretty neglectful. You go an entire year without so much as a letter, phone call, or email from them. That's weird, and lovely, that's a weird and lovely thing for them to do.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Yosuke's deal is perfectly relatable.

1) He's bored the way most teenagers get bored when they're stuffed into back water towns with no internet access and no friends.

2) He wants to be special and make a mark on the world. He says during his social link that part of him growing up was when he realized that a person doesn't have to make a big impact in order to do that.

quote:

Yosuke: I always wanted to be "special."
Yosuke: I thought my life'd finally have meaning if I was "special" to someone.
Yosuke: That's why I was really excited when I got my Persona.
Yosuke: But I really didn't need it... It's not what you have or what you can do...
Yosuke: Just being born, living your life... Before you know it, you're already special to someone.
Yosuke: Yeah... Like you... You're special to me, you know?

It's not strange or unusual for teenagers to want to make a big splashy show in order to endear themselves to people. When Yosuke grows up he realizes he doesn't have to do that. He's perfectly fine by himself and he doesn't need to act out to make himself interesting. Having the protagonist's friendship and respect gives him the validation he needed.

3) There's also the closeted-gay reading of him especially with regards to his feelings for the protagonist but since his romance was cut it's up to the individual person to decide if this makes a difference. It makes a large difference to me because I was in his exact situation when I was his age.

4) All of this makes him pretty relatable. I had similar feelings at his age about wanting to be noticed and respected, especially when I was closeted and miserable and was trying to deal with it in the worst way possible.

It's understandable if you don't care for Yosuke but to boil his problems down to "he just wants a girlfriend reeeee" is the most simplistic reading possible.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

To be fair: the Persona 4's protag's parents also come off as pretty neglectful. You go an entire year without so much as a letter, phone call, or email from them. That's weird, and lovely, that's a weird and lovely thing for them to do.

It's also implied in the animated adaptations that his stoic personality and weird sense of humor are a coping mechanism he's developed to deal with constantly being alone, since his parents' jobs are constantly forcing him to pull up roots and move around, so he's never really had a chance to develop meaningful long-term friendships with people his own age before.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

W.T. Fits posted:

It's also implied in the animated adaptations that his stoic personality and weird sense of humor are a coping mechanism he's developed to deal with constantly being alone, since his parents' jobs are constantly forcing him to pull up roots and move around, so he's never really had a chance to develop meaningful long-term friendships with people his own age before.

Yeesh, seriously, why don't his crappy parents just let him live with his uncle permanently? What even are their jobs?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Yeesh, seriously, why don't his crappy parents just let him live with his uncle permanently? What even are their jobs?

Unknown. The manga adaptation of Persona 4 makes it even worse. One of my friends took this shot:

Yu Narukami's parents are garbage.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HIJK posted:

Unknown. The manga adaptation of Persona 4 makes it even worse. One of my friends took this shot:

Yu Narukami's parents are garbage.

Jesus, it's looking like the parents of the Persona 3 protag are the best ones of the bunch and they're freakin' dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So first a question, then depending on that, some guidance:

I am trying to Platinum the game. I have reached Shido's Palace on NG+, and I think in my button mashing to skip past dialog for where FFWD wasn't available, I missed accepting a Mementos request, which I fear means I can no longer Max out Mishima. This also means missing out on: Completing all Mementos Requests, Maxing all Confidants, Collecting all Personas (can't fuse the Rank 10 Moon Persona (Sandalphon), which means I can't fuse Metatron which means I can't fuse Satanael), and makes Beating the Twins much more difficult (can't fuse up the nigh-unbeatable Yoshitsune to fight them with). I suppose I might be able to hold up a Metatron? Does that persona appear as anything other than just a miniboss later?

So first - am I correct here? The date is around 12/2 or so and I just reached Shido's treasure. Mishima can be found in Akibahara, but every time I talk to him he's basically "I'm super busy right now". Tried Affinity reading for him - no change. I may have missed out on maxing Iwai as well. Those are the only 2, and they are both at 9. Iwai says he doesn't need anything when I say I want to work.

Assuming I AM correct and have messed up, questions about another run:

One other thing I think I have missed is collecting all the treasure demons, with the problem being Stone of Scone. My level is maxed, so even if I equip everyone's weakest weapons/personas, I can't get a Hold Up. It dies in a single hit, be it Phys or Curse (its only weakness). I still need Hope Diamond and Crystal Skull, but I think I can still Hold Up those two since they aren't as squishy, and I have Lucky Punch.

So would I be better off starting a run from scratch (ie, NOT ng+) and following a guide? Or should I do another ng+ run after this one, since all stats are maxed, I got all the trophies for books, games, drinks, fishing, etc. so I could literally focus on NOTHING but Social Links.

I think that one Treasure Demon is going to be the deciding factor, since I can't think of another way to get it.

So yeah - thoughts? suggestions? advice?