Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Maneck posted:

It isn't a good example. NAMBLA advocating their positions is actually a crime in Canada. Just advocating for sexual relations between adults and children is a violation of the criminal code.

Which flies in the face of "free speech" the right likes to champion. It's going to create a lot more problems than anything it's trying to solve, and our constitution doesn't support it anyway.

Also I'm pretty sure if nazis can skirt hate speech laws, NAMBLA's going to be able to figure out how to skirt the laws prohibiting them explicitly talking about pedophilia. Just throwing that out there.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

I'm going to say that the NAMBLA comparison is in fact valid, because both Nazis and pedophiles should be criminalized and made to gently caress off and die.

Even as someone who has pretty civil-libertarian views on freedom of speech, I think we can draw the line for acceptable vs. unacceptable speech in such a way that kiddie fuckers and white supremacist hatemongers are both on the wrong side of it, and then we don't have to have stupid debates like "well are pedophiles worse than Nazis?" because it's a completely useless question.

First they came for the pedophiles, and I said nothing because I don't gently caress children. Then they came for the Nazis, and I said nothing because I'm not a goddamn Nazi. And then it turns out society was improved considerably.

Don't we already have these laws though? Like we have clearly defined laws for hate speech or inciting others to violence. If some faith goldy type is actually advocating for violence or crime then they would be penalized if they spoke here. Right?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

zapplez posted:

Don't we already have these laws though? Like we have clearly defined laws for hate speech or inciting others to violence. If some faith goldy type is actually advocating for violence or crime then they would be penalized if they spoke here. Right?

Go look up how many times the hate speech law has actually been enforced.

Im sure one of our resident lawyers could explain it way better but as far as Im aware the law was written hastily and is either too vague or has too many exceptions that make it nearly impossible to enforce, even on actual nazis like Faith Goldy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The thing about Goldy, Spencer, Levant, et. al. is they know how to toe the line re: hate speech. They say things that foment hatred against identifiable minority groups without actually calling for violence.

It's all very junior debate club because everyone knows drat well what the intent is, but as long as they don't cross the line into explicit hate speech it's not illegal. No platforming works in that it denies them the ability to do that in public forums, but you get the pearl clutching over "free speech".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the soapboxing equivalent of "just asking questions." Everyone knows what they are doing and it's not technically illegal even if they're blatantly thumbing their nose at people and winking so hard their eyelids get embedded in their cheekbones.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

infernal machines posted:

tagesschau bursts in to the thread panting, visibly out of breath

H..h..h... Heckler's veto

This, but neither panting nor visibly out of breath. Let me know who, anywhere, thinks pulling a fire alarm or similar in order to disrupt a speaker who you dislike, and who legitimately reserved the meeting space in which they are holding their sycophant convention, is free speech. The answer is "nobody with a shred of knowledge about the subject."

If you're in favor of using mob rule to enforce the correctness of your opinion, at least have the decency to identify yourself as a fascist and save the rest of us time.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lmao shut the gently caress up nazi defender

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's a joke friend, playful ribbing, please accept it in the spirit in which it was intended.

e: THC is probably not joking though

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THC posted:

Let me be a fascist in peace :qq:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

tagesschau posted:

This, but neither panting nor visibly out of breath. Let me know who, anywhere, thinks pulling a fire alarm or similar in order to disrupt a speaker who you dislike, and who legitimately reserved the meeting space in which they are holding their sycophant convention, is free speech. The answer is "nobody with a shred of knowledge about the subject."

If you're in favor of using mob rule to enforce the correctness of your opinion, at least have the decency to identify yourself as a fascist and save the rest of us time.

Paradox of tolerance.

Freedom of speech doesn't absolve you from the consequences of that speech, if it happens to be the majority drowning out that speech then maybe do it in a safer space like youtube or have a nice Nazi google hangout session.

Otherwise, gently caress off.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Love to be a white straight man and call people “fascists” for nonviolently protecting themselves and their communities from actual fascists

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

tagesschau posted:

"Let them be fascists in peace :qq:" is basically what you're saying here, so I don't know what point you think you're making.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

apatheticman posted:

Paradox of tolerance.

Freedom of speech doesn't absolve you from the consequences of that speech, if it happens to be the majority drowning out that speech then maybe do it in a safer space like youtube or have a nice Nazi google hangout session.

Otherwise, gently caress off.

This is a tricky topic. Using the word "majority" there is misleading. Does this change if it's a minority of people trying to deplatform someone, or is all that matters how effective it is? What if a bunch of nazis try and drown out some kind of gay pride speech? How do you establish that someone is the majority in these situations? If the majority of people believe a thing, does that mean it's right?

There seems to be too many pitfalls to police this properly, which is why I think we should err on the side of free speech.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hmm. Nuance and context are difficult to codify into law. Best to just let the kid diddlers and Nazis speak at universities then, in the interest of fairness, lest we enable a tyranny of the majority.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
edit: why am I talking about this

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

link the dril tweet about drunk driving and we're all done here

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is there any legislation with actual text yet? All I've read so far is that universities must have a free speech policy with some fairly vague requirements, and that any universities violating these rather unspecific terms would have funding withheld proportional to the damage caused (which is basically zero).

Meanwhile, UofT's reaction was that "we've had a free speech policy for nearly 20 years" so it doesn't sound like they're actually going to change anything.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, in this day and age I'd almost err on the side of "shut the gently caress up" instead of pro free speech. I'm sick of crazy religious nutjobs yelling about how gay marriage is going to cause us all to die while I try to make it through younge and dundas square. Not that the particular example is anything but hate speech that isn't enforced.

edit: not to mention having to see dead babies for the pro-life protesters in front of hospitals. ugh

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 4, 2019

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
How to tell if you are an rear end in a top hat and your free speech should be curtailed. A primer.

1) Are you targeting a minority?
2) Do you want to take rights to be taken away from another group?
3) Do you feel your cultural values are clearly superior to another's?

If so you are an rear end in a top hat and deserve to shut the gently caress up and be de-platformed in all instances.

Thank you for reading my pamphlet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
lol wasn't some straight dude in this thread demanding gay/trans people let the police represent themselves during pride in the name of freeeeeee speeeeeeech like a month ago

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Paradox of tolerance.

Stop repeating this like it's something other than a thought-terminating cliché. "When the mob whose politics align with mine does it, it's fine and good" is the same illogic as "when the president does it, it's not illegal."

In other words, you might want to read your own pamphlet before you start handing it out.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Are you actually mad and arguing that racist/hate speech should not just be allowed but also protected from consequences?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Are you actually mad and arguing that racist/hate speech should not just be allowed but also protected from consequences?

No, what I'm arguing is that private citizens do not have the right to enforce hate-speech laws they wish existed, and that deplatforming people in private spaces is trespassing and not the exercise of free speech so many people here apparently think it is.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

tagesschau posted:

Stop repeating this like it's something other than a thought-terminating cliché. "When the mob whose politics align with mine does it, it's fine and good" is the same illogic as "when the president does it, it's not illegal."

In other words, you might want to read your own pamphlet before you start handing it out.

Christ, look at the world around you.

Populism on the backs of hating immigrants and scapegoating them for all the ills brought upon by globalization and the fleecing of the general public by the 1% is rearing its ugly head again and you're like "No, no, let them speak"

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 4, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think they're saying "you can't legally stop them from speaking", which is different even if it's not necessarily a distinction you care about.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Danaru posted:

lol wasn't some straight dude in this thread demanding gay/trans people let the police represent themselves during pride in the name of freeeeeee speeeeeeech like a month ago

you're gonna have to be more specific, there's a lot of those guys in this thread

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

tagesschau posted:

No, what I'm arguing is that private citizens do not have the right to enforce hate-speech laws they wish existed, and that deplatforming people in private spaces is trespassing and not the exercise of free speech so many people here apparently think it is.

Hosting a talk at a university is not a private space. That is literally the entire justification for the whole "free speech on campus" argument in the first place. They receive public money and thus are required to follow the laws prohibiting government censorship.

You can't have it both ways. You either accept that as a public event then people are completely within their rights to show up to protest, or you accept that as a private event the university is within its rights to simply tell the speakers to gently caress off, they won't be providing them a platform to spread their message.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

apatheticman posted:

How to tell if you are an rear end in a top hat and your free speech should be curtailed. A primer.

1) Are you targeting a minority?
2) Do you want to take rights to be taken away from another group?
3) Do you feel your cultural values are clearly superior to another's?

If so you are an rear end in a top hat and deserve to shut the gently caress up and be de-platformed in all instances.

Thank you for reading my pamphlet.

wow get a load of THIS facist propaganda

m.. mods.. ???

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hosting a talk at a university is not a private space. That is literally the entire justification for the whole "free speech on campus" argument in the first place. They receive public money and thus are required to follow the laws prohibiting government censorship.

An event being open to the public doesn't mean anyone is permitted to show up and disrupt it without being kicked out by the organizer. And no, that's not government censorship—not even remotely—but picking and choosing which political messages you will provide these services for, while taking public funds, is.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 4, 2019

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Universities don't have a moral or legal imperative (as far as I know) to provide every random Nazi, charlatan, crank and general idiot with a platform to spew nonsense. Besides, public debates and lectures represent a tiny fraction of what universities do, so the suggestion that this is all about broadening the horizons of curious young minds is obvious bullshit.

Grifters and con men can find other venues to spread their lies.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

tagesschau posted:

An event being open to the public doesn't mean anyone is permitted to show up and disrupt it without being kicked out by the organizer. And no, that's not government censorship—not even remotely—but picking and choosing which political messages you will provide these services for, while taking public funds, is.

Believe it or not people already are subject to removal or arrest during disruptive acts of protest so I'm not really sure what more you think needs to be done

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
You're never going to punch a Nazi, please stop pretending you will. It's very hard to find fascists to punch.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kafka Esq. posted:

You're never going to punch a Nazi, please stop pretending you will. It's very hard to find fascists to punch.

who do you even think you're laying this sick own on???

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eXXon posted:

Universities don't have a moral or legal imperative (as far as I know) to provide every random Nazi, charlatan, crank and general idiot with a platform to spew nonsense. Besides, public debates and lectures represent a tiny fraction of what universities do, so the suggestion that this is all about broadening the horizons of curious young minds is obvious bullshit.

Grifters and con men can find other venues to spread their lies.

the ancient aliens guy is being censored because universities won't let him give public lectures

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

BattleMaster posted:

who do you even think you're laying this sick own on???

I guess no one, you got me, BM.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Help the libs are censoring my very important craniology lectures

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
e: never mind, it's clear you don't understand the subject

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
As part of the never-ending garbage news coming out of Facebook, a leaked memo shows that the social media company strong-armed the Harper government into promising to not apply Canada's data privacy laws to a future Facebook datacentre. Facebook never got around to building that datacentre, but it's nice to see remember how spineless the Tories were.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/facebook-canada-data-pressure-1.5041063

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, I'm sure the Liberals would have...

~*Looks at Waterfront TO, Sidewalk Labs, and the Quayside project*~

...hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

tagesschau posted:

Shut the gently caress up you loser Liberal centrist