Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

i don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

This is unrelated to the current conversation, but I wanted to weigh in on something. Why are people hoping that the water starter evolves into the Loch Ness Monster? The game's are set in Poke-UK! Wouldn't it be cooler if the Loch Ness Monster were a real Legendary monster you could go catch in a big lake that is in the same spot as Loch Ness?!

NPCs in the area could tell you about the rumors of a monster that lives in [totally-not-Loch-Nesss] and tourists come from all over for a chance to catch a glimpse of it. Only because it's an RPG, the rumors are actually true and you can go catch fukkin' Nessie!

That'd be way cooler than the Pokemon you can have from the beginning of the game turning into it.

Also Lapras live in the same lake, too, because Lapras looks like the Loch Ness Monster too.

Nerds would complain about it being a recycled Lake of Rage Red Gyarados. Which sucks because catching a Red Gyarados owned.

E: is Gen 2 the only generation that had standing single-encounter non-legendary mons? Lapras in Union Cave being the other standout.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Winklebottom posted:

Same body as Scorbunny, but now with a huge pair of steel cleats

Yessss. I'd love if Scorbunny's third evolution looks exactly like a typical Fire/Fighting type except has metal gauntlets or something and is Fire/Steel. First Fire/Steel non-legendary!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope the water starter evolves into a blue Jemhadar and the fire starter evolves into fat Banjo from the start of Nuts and Bolts and the grass starter evolves into a human

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

NewFatMike posted:

Nerds would complain about it being a recycled Lake of Rage Red Gyarados. Which sucks because catching a Red Gyarados owned.

E: is Gen 2 the only generation that had standing single-encounter non-legendary mons? Lapras in Union Cave being the other standout.

Snorlax in Gen I? Or are they dq because there were two?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NewFatMike posted:

Nah, Gen IV had Rotom and Spiritomb. Gen V had Volcarona (though it also had a Larvesta Egg) and Black/White had the weird 1/off Zorua encounter. Gen VI had Snorlax.

Can't think of anything in Gen III or VII off the top of my head except for Kecleon (but there are a bunch of them).

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

I am completely expecting a Union Cave call back.

Gen 2 also had Sudowodo
Black 2 White 2 has a shiny Haxorus and a Crustle blockade

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Red Gyarados was one of the coolest parts of Pokemon for me as kid because I had never seen anything like it before in RBY. It was really fun for the game to hand you a strong Pokemon like that long before E4. I feel like having a Loch Ness Monster style standing encounter in a spooky lake mid-game in Sword/Shield would be cool as hell for the current generation of kids to blow their minds.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Sobble is going to evolve into Nessie, hence the sobbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xIMEEOcK8

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Oh Lord thank you LOL. Welp you're going think I'm insane but the fact I actually went through with this probably means I already am. So the worst thing I've ever had to breed in my life was essentially the jewel of my collection. A single Budew. Now you might ask yourself "What makes this Budew so much more valuable than all these shiny Arceus' and Deoxys' you're giving away Flops?". It's a timid, hidden ability budew with extrasensory and hidden power fire in a moon ball with the highest possible IVs in every category save attack.

Breeding this took four weeks and a significant chunk of my sanity. I bred a "shiny" before I got the pokemon I wanted. To the uninitiated Budew are notoriously hard to breed because they require the parent to hold the rose incense. Essentially forcing you to give up one of the most vital breeding tools: the everstone. Their nature becomes completely randomized and getting it right becomes a gamble. In addition to that hidden abilities are also randomized along with IV's. And in order to get extrasensory on the pokemon it HAD to be a Budew because the move will not pass down to Roselia. So....through a lot of trial and error I managed to get two parents, a female Roselia with her hidden ability, the right IV's for hidden power fire and extrasensory but a poo poo nature with a bulbasaur with the same exact IV's needed for hidden power fire holding the destiny knot. Because of the sheer amount of randomization involved in the breeding process I had thousands of near misses trying to get the right combination for the baby. I got almost all my shinies from the sheer amount of wonder trading I did trying to breed this perfect budew that just seemed like it wasn't happening. Why did I do this nitpicking bullshit you ask? Because Roserade is one of my favorite pokemon and I wanted to make one as competitively viable as possible. Also I'm loving nuts. So one beautiful BEAUTIFUL DAY I finally did it. i finally got a timid one with all the business correctly in order and named him Arsene. I may or may not of wept. It then occurred to me I might have a problem before I promptly shook off this revelation to start breeding a Vespiquen.

The END

Ok, this was pages back, but I just realized this was the origin of the shiny Budew you gave me, which metal as heck, for a Pokemon who is Rosie the Roselia, who lives in a flower patch with Dishes the Oddish, and Psylvester the Psyduck, because I always name my shinies like I'm still 12 years old.
That's an awesome story, though, and thank you for the Budew!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Also Combee is my actual favorite Pokemon, so seeing that 10% chance for a female one to turn into a Vespiqueen almost physically hurts me. Good luck, goon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Catalina posted:

Also Combee is my actual favorite Pokemon, so seeing that 10% chance for a female one to turn into a Vespiqueen almost physically hurts me. Good luck, goon.

Already bred her :D. I named her Carmilla after the villain in Vampire Hunter D because they have similar fashion choices.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NewFatMike posted:

Have you ever caught a shiny Magikarp

I have!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1102321717886795781

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Goddamnit Michoacán. Why can't Monterrey have those funny errors?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

OgretailFood posted:

Goddamnit Michoacán. Why can't Monterrey have those funny errors?

It’d be too real

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just moved into my new house. It’s big and empty and I have no internet. Thankfully I can stay up with the dog and play Pokémon all night because I have the week off of work. Thank you for reading. That is my story!

Also fun fact: I’m a grown rear end man with a giant squirtel plushy on my desk at work.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Flopsy posted:

D'awwww!!! Thank you so much! :3: A dusk ball pidove would be fine. If you'd like to pick out something for yourself too feel free.

Any garbo is fine, thank you. Are you sure you wouldn't like the growlith as well?

FC: 0430-8484-9931
IGN: Julian

I probably won't be on long tonight but I'll make a point of being on more until I can send the pidove your way.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

I was thinking of types not already represented in the starters prevos but you got me.

I like the idea of Fire/Electric, Water/Poison, and Grass/Rock personally. I know the typings aren't exactly evenly matched what with Grass/Rock losing all weakness to the other two starters. I like the idea of fast bunny, shy poison lizard, and grass monkey with a rock club. Also, FIre/Elec and Grass/Rock only have one other representative each (Heat Rotom and Lileep lines respectively) so they would be somewhat unique combinations. Water/poison has a few more (4 lines IIRC), but that's not too bad.

chaosapiant posted:

Also fun fact: I’m a grown rear end man with a giant squirtel plushy on my desk at work.

Ditto and a Pokemon Egg plush myself, though only the Ditto sit's on my desk at work. I really should get back to breeding but I haven't been able to convince myself to break out the 3DS again since I got a Switch. Very happy Sword and Shield are on Switch so I can go back to one mobile device.

Fureil fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 4, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chaosapiant posted:

I just moved into my new house. It’s big and empty and I have no internet. Thankfully I can stay up with the dog and play Pokémon all night because I have the week off of work. Thank you for reading. That is my story!

I'm a grown rear end woman with a whole shelf full of Pokemon dolls.

I stand by my life choices :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm a grown rear end woman with a whole shelf full of Pokemon dolls.

I stand by my life choices :colbert:

Oh yes, I have no desire to do anything otherwise. People come by my desk and say “hello good sir! You certainly have a fine taste in Pokémon! Please have a Krispy Kreme donut!” Then I slam that poo poo down, take a “lunch break” and go sit in my car in the parking garage and catch mons.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chaosapiant posted:

Oh yes, I have no desire to do anything otherwise. People come by my desk and say “hello good sir! You certainly have a fine taste in Pokémon! Please have a Krispy Kreme donut!” Then I slam that poo poo down, take a “lunch break” and go sit in my car in the parking garage and catch mons.

Nice, you sound like a dude who's got life figured out.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Pleased to announce I only had to ruin the Alolan ecosystem a LITTLE BIT by releasing maybe 50 Kantonese Vulpix into the wild before I got my shiny timid drought girle!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

Pleased to announce I only had to ruin the Alolan ecosystem a LITTLE BIT by releasing maybe 50 Kantonese Vulpix into the wild before I got my shiny timid drought girle!

Godspeed you crazy diamond. I'm so proud of you!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Aristide posted:

Any garbo is fine, thank you. Are you sure you wouldn't like the growlith as well?

FC: 0430-8484-9931
IGN: Julian

I probably won't be on long tonight but I'll make a point of being on more until I can send the pidove your way.

I'm putting your number in but I'm exhausted tonight. Maybe tomorrow?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

chaosapiant posted:

Eh, you good buddy.

I don't think I have anything overtly Pokemon related in my office at work aside from my old DS Lite and 3DS that I keep on my desk while I'm there.

The LEGO covering every other horizontal surface of my office on the other hand...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Grookey attempts to put the Honedge down gently. The Honedge's tassel instead wraps around it and drains the Grookey's life force. Grookey is now dead. This is why we don't use Honedge as actual swords, people.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What DOESN'T steal your soul and kill children in the Pokemon Universe?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I guess I’m on the home stretch of Ultra Moon. I just clowned on blondy bighair’s team with my level 62 Decidueye. Never even had to heal or swap out.

Speaking of being an amazing human both in real life and in Pokémon games, who should I use the master ball on in Ultra Moon? I think Necrozma is my next big fight, should I use it then? Or hold out for bigger prey? I bought like 48 ultra balls, maybe they’ll work instead?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

I guess I’m on the home stretch of Ultra Moon. I just clowned on blondy bighair’s team with my level 62 Decidueye. Never even had to heal or swap out.

Speaking of being an amazing human both in real life and in Pokémon games, who should I use the master ball on in Ultra Moon? I think Necrozma is my next big fight, should I use it then? Or hold out for bigger prey? I bought like 48 ultra balls, maybe they’ll work instead?

You can't catch Necrozma the first time you fight him. After the BIG fight, you'll fight him in an area en route to the Pokemon League. I think he's actually really easy to catch there. As for Master Ball Targets, there are no roamers, so just... if something pops out and your first thought is "I WANT IT", go for it, I guess?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Infinitum posted:

What DOESN'T steal your soul and kill children in the Pokemon Universe?

Drifloon and Drifblim will only kidnap you, iirc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

Drifloon and Drifblim will only kidnap you, iirc

"Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children."

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 4, 2019

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"If for some reason its body bursts, its soul spills out with a screaming sound. "

Reminder the Pokemon universe is a nightmare hellscape

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Who writes the Pokedex entrees again?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stephen King

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Who writes the Pokedex entrees again?

gamefreak interns

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is it time to play "who can find the creepiest Pokedex entry"?

Gengar
"It apparently wishes for a traveling companion. Since it was once human itself, it tries to create one by taking the lives of other humans."

Sliggoo
"It has trouble drawing a line between friends and food. It will calmly try to melt and eat even those it gets along well with."

Froslass
"When it finds humans or Pokémon it likes, it freezes them and takes them to its chilly den, where they become decorations."

Shiinotic
"Forests where Shiinotic live are treacherous to enter at night. People confused by its strange lights can never find their way home again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Death is no escape. You are doomed to roam the land forever.

Yamask - Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

Phantump - These Pokémon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died in the forest. Their cries sound like eerie screams.
- According to legend, medicine to cure any illness can be made by plucking the green leaves on its head, brewing them, and boiling down the liquid.

Kill a child to gain their powers.