Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Clarste posted:

I play on Prince, build 4-6 cities, and win a culture victory before the modern era without ever being at war.

Congratulations! I've also won this game before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i play on deity and cheese the ai

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Torrannor posted:

I played so much more Colonization than Civilization II as a kid. I only became a real Civ fan with Civ IV. Colonization was a great game. The remake didn't quite capture the same magic as the original, though.

I wonder if there ever will be a new Colonization. It's not exactly a woke topic.

Yeah, I dunno. :smith: The name alone gives it a lot of slack. If it's an explicit sequel it has a shot, but I don't know if I trust Firaxis' hand at it, given their sequels to other Civ-offshoots.

EDIT: The remake not having the same magic is honestly inexplicable to me, considering the core gameplay wasn't too far off. The mods that came out for it later were also pretty good, but obviously the community never grew around it to keep it going.

Amethyst posted:

Roleplaying style is supported by the existence of lower difficulty levels.

Roleplay and strategic play can co-exist as long as you don't push the strategic challenge as far as it can go. Many roleplay choices like building every wonder will be sub-optimal. High level strategic play can be reduced to finding the most optimal choices.

You can't meaningfully "support" both play styles up to max difficulty unless you have a truncated, unsatisfying difficulty curve (see: Civilization V).

No one is talking about roleplay vs. strategic play here except you, where you believe people saying "hey both wide and tall being viable depending on millions of variables is Fun and Good" are actually saying "i love larping". Reconsider this.

Civ 5 definitely does have the mis-step of following the same set of steps during the start, which is boring. That doesn't mean Civ 6 should go radically in the direction of another set of identical steps. That's boring too!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Beamed posted:

No one is talking about roleplay vs. strategic play here except you, where you believe people saying "hey both wide and tall being viable depending on millions of variables is Fun and Good" are actually saying "i love larping". Reconsider this.

Civ 5 definitely does have the mis-step of following the same set of steps during the start, which is boring. That doesn't mean Civ 6 should go radically in the direction of another set of identical steps. That's boring too!

Why should both wide and tall be equally viable, though? I suspect it's because people want to roleplay. I literally see no other reason. I don't accept that it makes the game more diverse, since the only way to make it "equally" viable seems to stamp out player options like in Civ 5.

Like, you say "i just want tall to be equally viable" as if that's good enough prima facie, but I think that's a load of horse poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Amethyst posted:

Congratulations! I've also won this game before.

My point is that I'm roleplaying and it's absolutely not restrictive at lower difficulty levels. IE: I agree with you.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Clarste posted:

My point is that I'm roleplaying and it's absolutely not restrictive at lower difficulty levels. IE: I agree with you.

Oh okay then, sorry.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I guess the other argument against wide empires is the ergonomic argument: that the game simply isn't fun to play with more than four cities.

That's a UI issue. One that i'll grant no civilization game has completely solved, but reducing the scope of the game is definitely not the solution.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Amethyst posted:

Why should both wide and tall be equally viable, though? I suspect it's because people want to roleplay. I literally see no other reason. I don't accept that it makes the game more diverse, since the only way to make it "equally" viable seems to stamp out player options like in Civ 5.

Like, you say "i just want tall to be equally viable" as if that's good enough prima facie, but I think that's a load of horse poo poo.

Maybe your argument here should be "I don't know how to make both viable without artificial gameplay constraints", rather than making poo poo up and sounding like an rear end in a top hat?

Here's an article from Civ 5's release that really hated Civ 5's wide-oriented playstyle way more than I ever did, before they artificially limited it: http://www.sullla.com/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

I agree artificially limiting it was bad and dumb! But like the article notes, it's not like this is a new problem no other game has had. You can design a game which encourages both playstyles. And bluntly, if you think "only playing a game one way is bad" is horse poo poo, you're not really making valuable contributions to a discussion, bub.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IMO it all comes back to the AI being bad. The player can simply choose between going tall and wide, because the AI can't stop them from going wide. The player can simply choose their preferred victory type, and it's very rare for them to have to change course to respond to an AI, unless it's someone super OP like Korea. I like playing chill zen garden Civ sometimes, but it shouldn't be the only option available.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Krazyface posted:

IMO it all comes back to the AI being bad. The player can simply choose between going tall and wide, because the AI can't stop them from going wide. The player can simply choose their preferred victory type, and it's very rare for them to have to change course to respond to an AI, unless it's someone super OP like Korea. I like playing chill zen garden Civ sometimes, but it shouldn't be the only option available.

Yeah to be honest this is true and makes the discussion a moot point; the AI means there's no restrictions on playstyle :v:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Beamed posted:

Maybe your argument here should be "I don't know how to make both viable without artificial gameplay constraints", rather than making poo poo up and sounding like an rear end in a top hat?

Here's an article from Civ 5's release that really hated Civ 5's wide-oriented playstyle way more than I ever did, before they artificially limited it: http://www.sullla.com/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

I agree artificially limiting it was bad and dumb! But like the article notes, it's not like this is a new problem no other game has had. You can design a game which encourages both playstyles. And bluntly, if you think "only playing a game one way is bad" is horse poo poo, you're not really making valuable contributions to a discussion, bub.

I dunno why you're calling me an rear end in a top hat "bub", all i'm doing is challenging your ideas and asking for detail in your thinking.

I already said you can support both playstyles, but not all the way up the difficulty curve. You seem to think both playstyles should be EQUALLY viable, right to the top of the difficulty curve. I'm yet to understand why you think this.

I also think you completely misread that sulla article. he doesn't hate civ 5 becuase it's "wide" oriented, but becuase their design to prevent wide empires doesn't work, and as a result the game is trivially easy.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Krazyface posted:

Play Civ IV on deity.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Amethyst posted:

I already said you can support both playstyles, but not all the way up the difficulty curve. You seem to think both playstyles should be EQUALLY viable, right to the top of the difficulty curve. I'm yet to understand why you think this.
It's not exactly a viable playstyle if it's not actually viable :v:

Amethyst posted:

I also think you completely misread that sulla article. he doesn't hate civ 5 becuase it's "wide" oriented, but becuase their design to prevent wide empires doesn't work, and as a result the game is trivially easy.

that's exactly people's point? If a game is designed in a way that one playstyle is magnitudes better than the others, than the other playstyles aren't really made viable*. You seem to acknowledge this point, but think "viable" means "can do it on easy mode in a sandbox".

*see above - since Firaxis forgot to make an AI for the game they've given up on, technically anything is really viable in SP, and MP isn't really humming.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Beamed posted:

It's not exactly a viable playstyle if it's not actually viable :v:

That wasn't my question. I don't require clarification on what you want, I want to know why you want it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Amethyst posted:

Play Civ IV on deity.

I thought we were just talking about VI

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Like, I think that we can both agree, at least, that more territory = mechanical penalties is, at least, really counter-intuitive. To justify that you need a good reason.

"I want to roleplay on the highest difficulty" is a reason I can understand, even if I disagree.

You seem to have some other reason. More diverse play? I don't buy it because the rules are restrictive.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 4, 2019

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Krazyface posted:

I thought we were just talking about VI

My point being that you can pose a serious strategic challenge even with unimpressive AI, if the game is designed to allow it. When you truncate the difficulty with weird restrictions like "expanding too much incurs a crippling science penalty", you aren't going to have a challenge without miracle A.I

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Amethyst posted:

That wasn't my question. I don't require clarification on what you want, I want to know why you want it.

gonna ignore rest of my post because you realized you defeated your own argument huh

Amethyst posted:

Like, I think that we can both agree, at least, that more territory = mechanical penalties is, at least, really counter-intuitive. To justify that you need a good reason.
What? No it isn't. Infinite growth curves immediately make the hairs on the back of my neck creep up. I expect diminishing returns. Depending on the strategy game, I expect the deserts of Tunisia to be less important than Constantinople. It's counter intuitive to expect otherwise.

Amethyst posted:

"I want to roleplay on the highest difficulty" is a reason I can understand, even if I disagree.
no one is arguing this since you can do it right now anyway lol

Amethyst posted:

You see to have some other reason. More diverse play? I don't buy it becuase the rules are restrictive.

what? this is a nonsense post. of course I want more diverse play. one of the worst parts of civ5 is that you do the same opening every god drat time.

Amethyst posted:

My point being that you can pose a serious strategic challenge even with unimpressive AI, if the game is designed to allow it. When you truncate the difficulty with weird restrictions like "expanding too much incurs a crippling science penalty", you aren't going to have a challenge without miracle A.I

This is also a nonsense post. Restrictions like that should help the AI, because it's less factors for the AI to consider. What's being truncated there is, in fact, gameplay options, which is why it's bad.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Beamed posted:

gonna ignore rest of my post because you realized you defeated your own argument huh

What? No it isn't. Infinite growth curves immediately make the hairs on the back of my neck creep up. I expect diminishing returns. Depending on the strategy game, I expect the deserts of Tunisia to be less important than Constantinople. It's counter intuitive to expect otherwise.

no one is arguing this since you can do it right now anyway lol

what? this is a nonsense post. of course I want more diverse play. one of the worst parts of civ5 is that you do the same opening every god drat time.

ah ok thank you. It's perfectly intuitive that getting more territory give you less stuff because "Infinite growth curves immediately make the hairs on the back of my neck creep up. I expect diminishing returns"

My post was nonsense. This, on the other hand, makes perfect sense.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Amethyst posted:

ah ok thank you. It's perfectly intuitive that getting more territory give you less stuff because "Infinite growth curves immediately make the hairs on the back of my neck creep up. I expect diminishing returns"

My post was nonsense. This, on the other hand, makes perfect sense.

Did you also shake with rage when you found out that cities need more food to grow the bigger they are?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Beamed posted:

Did you also shake with rage when you found out that cities need more food to grow the bigger they are?

What?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Seriously that's a non sequitur.

I guess in your world bigger farms produce less food.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes I just sit there and I think, wow, I really wish Alpha Centauri was playable by modern standards for someone who's never touched it before.

somepartsareme posted:

wanna get into this game casually so i checked out the thread, is there anyone here who actually enjoys it

Me. I really like it. It's not perfect, but I'm comfortable with its flaws and I enjoy all of the things the game has going for it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Beamed posted:

Civ is not a game about realism, even a tiny little bit.

This is a humorous statement if you follow the quote chain back a bit.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Playing a fun game as expansive Inca and I really like how I can play a little game of trying to get the best yields out of my terrace farms by thinking about where to put an aqueduct but also place some mines and districts. Civ VI's strength is definitely in figuring out how to build your cities and on which tiles.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I only now noticed that the border colours on the minimap don't cross over into the oceans anymore.

That's a nice little change.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Beamed posted:

Sullla's entire point is that he hated ICS (aka Infinite City Sprawl). The entire point of this isn't Tall vs Wide, in fact he even says that that's a false argument (in a follow up article!) because you ALWAYS want more cities, he's saying there needs to be a sufficient drawback to just crapping out cities all over the map. Because that limits choice as well.

quote:

Brave New World is an empire-building game where there is literally no reason to build an empire, and you are actively penalized for doing so.

The problem with global happiness is that it's not balanceable as a mechanic for limiting expansion. If the restrictions are too loose, then the gameplay quickly turns into the situation in the release version, where endless expansion is the best strategy. The happiness mechanic just isn't strong enough to prevent the nonstop city sprawl. If the screws are on too tight, however, then we wind up with the current situation in Brave New World. We get a game where expansion serves little purpose, competition over land is almost nonexistant, and turtling on a small handful of cities proves to be the best strategy. Vast expanses of the map wind up going completely unclaimed in game after game. It's bizarre to see fertile grassland regions untouched by anyone in 1950 AD! There isn't even a reason to go to war, since any captured cities will often LOWER your science output. In a game where competition over scarce land and resources is supposed to be the driving force behind the gameplay, this is a solution where the cure is worse than the disease. Brave New World's approach to global happiness is no better than the one in the release version of Civ5. I don't see any way that this can ever be balanced properly. The gameplay will always tilt towards infinite city sprawl or a tiny handful of cities, depending on where the designers set the numbers. Neither one works.

Civ5 suffers here from a mistaken attempt to balance "Tall" empires against "Wide" empires. This is something that the designers mentioned frequently in the buildup to the game's release, and the Civ5 community discusses this all the time as well. It's a baffling concept that makes absolutely no sense when discussing gameplay in the empire-building genre of games. Why in the world would you want to create a game where a "Tall" empire of four cities would be as strong as a "Wide" empire of twenty cities? If that's the case, then what's the point of expanding at all? It's much easier to sit on a handful of cities, after all. An empire-building game where small nations are just as good as large nations is an empire-building game where expansion becomes pointless. This is exactly what Brave New World has done: it has undercut the entire purpose of the genre! Let me make use of an analogy here: arguing that "Wide" and "Tall" empires should be balanced is like arguing that small armies in Starcraft should be able to compete on even terms with large armies. I mean, that sounds incredibly stupid, right? The purpose of Starcraft is to build an army to kill your opponent. Sure, there are units designed to counter mass spam of cheap units, but the basic principle remains that bigger armies are better. If you could defeat a 200 supply army with a 50 supply army, then what would be the point of building units at all? Such a mechanic would destroy the entire raison d'etre behind Starcraft. Brave New World does the same thing with respect to expansion. A handful of cities performs as well as a large empire, making expansion and warfare pointless. This mistaken attempt to balance "Wide" and "Tall" strikes a blow at the very heart of why people play the Civilization games in the first place.

Here's the correct way to approach this situation: A BIGGER EMPIRE IS BETTER, BUT IT IS HARD TO GET BIG. Master of Orion does this better than any other strategy game that I've played. The designers of Civ5 would have done well to take some more lessons from that game, or at the very least go back to the far superior city maintenance system used in Civ4. The global happiness thing is a major failure.

Source: http://www.sullla.com/Civ5/bnwreview.html

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chucat posted:

Sullla's entire point is that he hated ICS (aka Infinite City Sprawl). The entire point of this isn't Tall vs Wide, in fact he even says that that's a false argument (in a follow up article!) because you ALWAYS want more cities, he's saying there needs to be a sufficient drawback to just crapping out cities all over the map. Because that limits choice as well.

And more importantly it's ugly.

I don't think I've ever had to abandon a civ6 game because I'm losing. I'd like to say that's because I'm better now than I was in the past but it's for sure not that. I'd lose in Civ4 because I never built any military and we'd get attacked and I'd die because I just couldn't quite match what the AI did.
Now because I can purchase a unit or two any war is just.....an annoyance, not an actual challenge. And I'm on King which for me used to be too hard (in Civ4 or 5) but is now a pushover.

When that's the case I dunno how people are coming saying Civ6 is a good game. It's not the worst thing ever but it's another Civ3 - really flawed and waiting for the next release to perfect what it's done.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

As a Civ 4 grognard, since Gathering Storm Civ 6 has become my favorite one.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

somepartsareme posted:

wanna get into this game casually so i checked out the thread, is there anyone here who actually enjoys it

yes it is a good game

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah this game is fun and people itt should stop being so argumentative about it.

It’s clearly flawed but still a fun time sink.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
There's like a hundred resources in this overcomplicated game, it makes sense that food and production scale in such a way that wider empires will eventually get more. But surely there is a way to design a system where one of the other resources (beakers, notes, suitcases, gold, birds, etc etc) might be gathered or spent more effectively by a tall empire, at least in some situations.

I hope in civ7 they remove one or more of the resources and distinguish the remaining ones. I don't know why our progress bars need to have 8 different colors?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Civ games have a lot of abstractions on the whole, but none of the abstractions in V were arbitrary. Expanding penalized your output of science, culture and great person points, but your individual cities could produce the same amount of gold, hammers and food regardless of empire size. Techs and civics don't just represent discovering things; they're also implemented at the same time. You can build lumbermills everywhere once you discover the technology, you can implement the New Deal and it will take full effect the year you discover suffrage, all your caravans become trucks as soon as you discover combustion, etc. etc. Portraying the dissemination of advances throughout your empire based on infrastructure and connectivity would be a massive pain, so your cost of development is just increased based on number of cities, which is a reasonable abstraction on paper.

Where civ V falls short is a combination of the standard Civ pitfall of science and culture having a much larger payoff than any other yields, and the expansion penalty being linear rather than proportional. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that your 15th city slows you down as much as your 4th city in theory, and even less that it's actually a much larger burden in practice, because you'll have hit the point where it cannot possibly make up for its diminishing returns by then.

VI jumps straight to the other extreme; there is a hard cap on how much yield of a given type you can get from a single city, and there is no penalty to expansion other than the up-front cost of building a settler and drawing a couple of amenities from your luxury resource pool. You cannot compete with a larger empire's development without enough cities, you can't develop more trade routes without founding cities and building markets/lighthouses, and you can barely specialize your cities past getting the handful of yield points and four great person points a district provides.

I can understand preferring VI's mechanics based on gameplay, but they are far more arbitrary than their predecessors, and I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Civ6 is ok but it has a lot of flaws, some of which could easily be fixed.

One thing that was super fun in Civ5 was playing in teams, it had it's issues but was fun, in Civ6 co-op MP is just a huge mess.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

Sometimes I just sit there and I think, wow, I really wish Alpha Centauri was playable by modern standards for someone who's never touched it before.

It is. Hell, I first played it around 2011 and it was an instant hit for me. The UI takes a teensy bit of getting used to but that's all. Even besides the fantastic sci-fi atmosphere and cool unique mechanics, all the fundamental gameplay is as solid as any 4X has ever been.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Mymla posted:

Civ 5 favoring tall empires over wide ones is one of the best parts of the game imo. I like micromanaging cities, but it gets tedious if I have too many. 4 is right around the right number for me.

I can't even balance happiness.
The AI starts banning what few luxury resources I have and that is on king :(

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Taear posted:

And more importantly it's ugly.

Yeah that's also a thing as well.

I think what's important is to treat "Carpet of cities" as the default state of the game, because cities are really, really good (they let you build things, you need things to win! Look at workers in Euro Games, it's the same thing, you want workers!) and everything from that point on is designed to deal with that (because it's a one right choice thing, which is boring).

- Space is a natural limiter to the number of cities you can get. If you want more cities after that, you have to take them from other people.

- Tile/Hex management and things like districts could work to make a city more efficient as well (for example, in lategame Civ 4, you don't go and plant cities in your highly developed empire where cities are working every tile because they'll just function as lovely leeches). For this though, you still want a lot of cities, they just become much more developed.

- Cities not being able to build anything while building a Settler also counts, since you're investing in the future. (Same way that you can't take an action or two if you choose to get another worker in a Euro Game).

- Penalties for expansion are also a thing, whether it's a penalty for 'lovely' and 'reckless' expansion (in Civ 4, where you just end up in the hole if you expand badly, because cities are loss leaders), or just a penalty for expanding at all (Corruption in 3 and the kneecapping in 5). 3's didn't work so you still had the carpet of cities. 4's worked (you expanded in bursts basically, lining up with Code of Laws and Currency, then finally the limiters came off with State Property, but at that point, your core was widely developed enough to where you weren't just going to put cities there, and you were touching borders with opponents, so it was more for far flung stuff and final outskirts), 5's also worked, you were just forced to remain at a small number of cities.

Also as a couple question, since I'm legitimately curious here:

What do you imagine a tall empire to be, what number of cities, what makes the cities or empire more 'highly developed'?
What do you imagine a wide empire to be, what number of cities, what makes the cities or empire 'highly developed'?

Note: I'm not only asking WHY are there is a difference in development, I'm asking what are the differences between the cities in the playstyles to make them differently developed (from there, you can say WHY that's the case)

Chucat fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 4, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chucat posted:

What do you imagine a tall empire to be, what number of cities, what makes the cities or empire more 'highly developed'?

My idea of a tall civ is that you've got a few very big cities with probably all the available buildings in them. They all build stuff fast, they're in really good locations that are probably pretty far away from other cities but (in civ4 terms) close enough that nearly-max border expansion will mean the borders touch.
You remember the name of each city, where it is and what's around it. And maybe the theme of the city if the game supports that.

Wide you've got hundreds of smaller cities that produce roughly the same stuff but over a much larger area. You don't remember them and they're not particularly placed well, they're just placed. But it doesn't matter, because you've got loads.

For me the distinction was clearest in SMAC where I'd have maybe 6 really good big cities spread out over a large area but the AI would have 50 tiny ones in the same area.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I played Civ2, Alpha Centauri, then left the series and came back for Civ5 (complete), BE, and Civ6.

My opinions: ICS looks to be a total monstrosity. Civ2's railroads where fugly enough, but seeing screencaps of ICS (not sure which game it was, 3 or 4?) makes my eyes glaze. Tall vs Wide IS a legitimate question/option, imo. Yes, more cities are better, and you take them when you can for small cost, but for example there's a point early game when you can be "I can make 3 settlers NOW, or spike the Wonder (bad idea honestly most of the time), or just slam down a lot of buildings in my capital. Tech to more buildings and make them, or tech to other stuff and make settlers, hrm?" That's probably the first, most trivial, instance of it. Ideally, later on there'd be an increasing amount of building/districts/whatever that appeal to very large cities but are impractical for smaller ones. Maybe you need Social policies to support one style or the other. Whatever it is, it's not sufficiently present in current games that players can see strong choices to the left or right. Thanks to the way tech works in the past few games, you kinda just get everything as much as you can anyways.

So, to answer your question, a 'Tall' empire would have prioritized food to push a few cities' pop high enough to be able to take advantage of some amazing niche/synergystic stuff that smaller cities can't. Wonder/Nuke production would be a very soft example of this in current games. A 'Wide' empire just plants cities as per normal, and builds things that are very value-for-money, and is more concerned with industry and money on a more aggregate scale (eg, military).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Tall vs Wide in Civ has been solved imo, just look at the Revolutions mod for Civ 4. You can expand as much as you want, but new cities will revolt if you have too many too far apart. To fix this you need to research and implement more and more decentralisation until you reach Federal States running an Empire.

IIRC there is also a straight up gold cost limitations, you should only build more cities if your existing ones are profitable.