Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lol guys I think we've just worked it out, the reason why it's only antisemitism on the left that matters:

Capitalists think that it's good for a disproportionate amount of the world's wealth to be concentrated in a few hands. Therefore, they can believe age-old antisemitic conspiracy theories all they like, they can't be antisemitic, because they don't think there's anything wrong with it if the theories are true.

...and when regurgitating all these tropes causes a spike in hate crimes, it must be down to all those leftists who don't think it's a good thing, because that's the only possibility that doesn't require me, a sensible moderate centrist, to consider that maybe I might actually be regurgitating literal Nazi propaganda.

e: in 27 days it will be 2 days after Brexit, so by my reckoning the empire will be about 30% restored by then, St George's day will be a national holiday, singing Rule Britannia whilst waving flags over the corpse of an Irishman will be mandatory, and curry will be the only foreign food allowed so I hope to gently caress somebody's written the recipe down because there'll be no bugger left to cook it otherwise
e2: we'll also be up exactly £100 million from our Brexit dividend. lol

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
1.6 billion is not even 1 minecraft. Theresa May has lost the plot!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Borrovan posted:

lol guys I think we've just worked it out, the reason why it's only antisemitism on the left that matters:

Capitalists think that it's good for a disproportionate amount of the world's wealth to be concentrated in a few hands. Therefore, they can believe age-old antisemitic conspiracy theories all they like, they can't be antisemitic, because they don't think there's anything wrong with it if the theories are true.

...and when regurgitating all these tropes causes a spike in hate crimes, it must be down to all those leftists who don't think it's a good thing, because that's the only possibility that doesn't require me, a sensible moderate centrist, to consider that maybe I might actually be regurgitating literal Nazi propaganda.

e: in 27 days it will be 2 days after Brexit, so by my reckoning the empire will be about 30% restored by then, St George's day will be a national holiday, singing Rule Britannia whilst waving flags over the corpse of an Irishman will be mandatory, and curry will be the only foreign food allowed so I hope to gently caress somebody's written the recipe down because there'll be no bugger left to cook it otherwise
e2: we'll also be up exactly £100 million from our Brexit dividend. lol

Portraying your bankers as hunched hook-nosed caricatures is fine because in this world the bankers are the good guys :aaaaa:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I saw this so you have to, sorry.

The sheer volume of layers, this tweet has it all!

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1102339535722201088?s=19

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Yes, looks like the press are going for anti-capitalist = anti-Semitism

The unanswered question: why do antisemites think Labour is the party for them?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/labour-antisemitism-party-left-bigotry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look I have a terrible beard and can dress like an idiot as well. And my margin of spelling errors is well within your accepted levels. Can I have a guardian column?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

notaspy posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/labour-antisemitism-party-left-bigotry

Lol that they can't see the glaring hypocrisy and implicit anti-semitism in this take

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Twitter, explain liberal centrism to a child.

notaspy posted:

quote:

Since the embrace of its own form of populism in the wake of the 2016 referendum, the Labour party has imbibed some of the same stuff. It now tends to present the very real failings of modern capitalism not as a matter of anything systemic, but the work of a small group of people who are ruining things for the rest: what Corbyn calls a “self-serving elite”, who “monopolise the wealth that should be shared by each and every one of us”. Threaded through all this is the idea of the party leader as a humble, completely virtuous man, battling those cabals even as they dispense endless lies and “smears” and encourage his adversaries.

Cool, I've got it, I know how to send the antisemites back to the conspiracy realm.

We address this:

We address it repeatedly, we address that it's real, we address that it's intergenerational, we address that it's only gotten far worse since 2010, we address that it's toxic for everyone (although far less for those at the top) and that austerity is a deliberate choice, and we address that those at the top do include some Jewish people, and some Arab people, but are overwhelmingly white Anglo-Normans, but #notallwasps. And we address that something has to be done beyond platitudes.

Wait, where is the Guardian going?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Genuinely surprised it's taken them this long to go for the anticapitalism is antisemitism brain genius line of attack.

Like, the Labour is antisemitic line sticks why not label the entire ideology as antisemitic and see how it lands. Of course there's the potential that there's large risks to the normalisation of antisemitism like this but better that than running the risk of the status quo being challenged.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ThomasPaine posted:

This tweet is like a piece of art. Every time I look at it I find something new.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect if people start actually going for that in earnest that's going to be the bridge too far and it's gonna swing right back round into loving stupid territory.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope it ends up like "anti-racist is code for anti-white" as a surefire flag of spotting actual nazis.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BobbyDuffyKings/status/1102484477933248512?s=19

Lmaooooo

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1102467132389027840?s=19

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/jessbrammar/status/1102483225446924288?s=19

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 4, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The EU referendum was good?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

She can't even loving do bribes right

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

forkboy84 posted:

The EU referendum was good?

I guess the fact that some politicians and the press started talking about the good things that immigration does and all the things and people that will have to go when we leave the EU has gotten people to think about it at a faster rate than before.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

namesake posted:

I guess the fact that some politicians and the press started talking about the good things that immigration does and all the things and people that will have to go when we leave the EU has gotten people to think about it at a faster rate than before.

Shame the absolute loving cretins in the Remain campaign braintrust didn't do that before the vote really.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

To be fair to May the Tories have gotten a lot of good mileage lately out of "make thing a billion percent worse, then make it half a percent better and sing from the rooftops that it's an improvement"

Unfortunately it doesn't work so well on politicians as it does on homeless people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1102487437761277953?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

To be fair to May the Tories have gotten a lot of good mileage lately out of "make thing a billion percent worse, then make it half a percent better and sing from the rooftops that it's an improvement"

Unfortunately it doesn't work so well on politicians as it does on homeless people

Simple solution- make all politicians homeless

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

namesake posted:

[...]has gotten people to think about it at a faster rate than before.

I'm sorry you lost me here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Who was asking about donating to the wwf?

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1102499422167068672?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Shame the absolute loving cretins in the Remain campaign braintrust didn't do that before the vote really.
But the economy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/bureaulocal/status/1102461334443167744?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

WWF was established by a small group of mostly British naturalists in Zurich in 1961.
I for one am shocked to find out that 60s British naturalists would have anything to do with fascism and soft imperialism.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I've met two people who worked as "gamekeepers" in former colonies in Africa, and from what I've heard a lot of the job consists of hunting the most dangerous game, to stop them from hunting the less dangerous game.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but unarmed indigenous villagers are hardly the most dangerous game. That's strip Mousetrap.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lots of stuff going on this morning

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1102500443048038400

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

hosed up if true

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
1. a framework, typically consisting of rafters, posts, and struts, supporting a roof, bridge, or other structure.
synonyms: support, buttress, joist, brace, prop, strut, stay, stanchion, shore, pier

2. a surgical appliance worn to support a hernia, typically a padded belt.
synonyms: surgical appliance, support, pad

:hmmyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TBH a lot of conservationism has always struck me as weird. Like people devote a lot of resources and attention to making sure there are still lions so that david attenborough can videotape them and ASMR in your lug about them.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in isolation but it's always impressive or cute looking animals that you can personify and ideally exist somewhere exotic? It's weird, vaguely like fetishistic?

Environmentalism as a thing that's important to preserving the welfare of human life and to an extent large scale animal life makes sense but is the biggest problem really that lions might stop existing?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Vlex posted:

I'm sorry you lost me here

The benefits of migration to someone who hasnt ever thought of migrating are generally either philosophical principles or fairly abstract societal benefits so people need to be confronted with the idea several times and mull it over before they'll really clock them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

TBH a lot of conservationism has always struck me as weird. Like people devote a lot of resources and attention to making sure there are still lions so that david attenborough can videotape them and ASMR in your lug about them.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in isolation but it's always impressive or cute looking animals that you can personify and ideally exist somewhere exotic? It's weird, vaguely like fetishistic?

Environmentalism as a thing that's important to preserving the welfare of human life and to an extent large scale animal life makes sense but is the biggest problem really that lions might stop existing?

THey get advertised because they're what brings in the big money

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

They generally use the big crowd-pleasers to fund less glamorous but more essential research, because pretty much nobody else is interestied in preventing/mitigating mass insect die-offs and the resultant trophic collapse.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

The lions (otters, beavers, whatever) are the big names that bring in the money that let you do the work to protect everything.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

loving with an ecosystem by removing the apex predator from it can have unforseen consequences so yeah, it's not literally the biggest problem facing humanity but it's still something to be avoided.

But yeah, what others have said as well.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

namesake posted:

The benefits of migration to someone who hasnt ever thought of migrating are generally either philosophical principles or fairly abstract societal benefits so people need to be confronted with the idea several times and mull it over before they'll really clock them.

It was a joke: I can't imagine the Grate British Public ever thinking hard about anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can buy that but the problem is that's not how stuff works. It's third wayism. You can't run something on the idea that we'll just pretend to care about one thing to get support while we actually devote our attention to the other thing, because quite shortly you end up with people who were raised on the messaging about the first thing and actually just care about the first thing and oh look now they're running the organization.

You've gotta have concordance between what you say and what you want cos otherwise what you want will quickly become what you say.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jippa posted:

Egging seemed to be a much more comic event when it was happening to john prescott. I remember admiring that guys mullet.

Would that Corbyn had turned and punched the egg thrower
He’s letdown the Old Labour brand this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I can buy that but the problem is that's not how stuff works. It's third wayism. You can't run something on the idea that we'll just pretend to care about one thing to get support while we actually devote our attention to the other thing, because quite shortly you end up with people who were raised on the messaging about the first thing and actually just care about the first thing and oh look now they're running the organization.

You've gotta have concordance between what you say and what you want cos otherwise what you want will quickly become what you say.

And you do. If you care enough to look at the messaging of environmental charities in detail, they spend a lot of time talking about the boring poo poo that's important.

They just don't try to persuade the average 'Planet Earth' viewer that it's just as important to save the Marsh Buttercup as the lion.

(Not to mention that all of those shows (the big tentpole ones, planet earth 1&2, Blue Planet 1&2, etc) actually DO spend a lot of time examining the small, relatively uninteresting creatures and making them fascinating. Look at how much time they spent on coral in Blue Planet and tell me that's advertising big iconic creatures)