Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm gonna second Tropico for our base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Tropico sounds good and pleasant!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tropico is a paradise* where every citizen** is free*** to enjoy**** the fruits of their labor*****!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If Lela is La Presidente am I Penultimo? :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ibblebibble posted:

If Lela is La Presidente am I Penultimo? :v:

i think the real question is who ends up being Miss Pineapple

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I just robbed an electronics trader for like 50k in broad daylight.....stealth and thievery are busted :homebrew:

Also hoppin on the Tropico train

Guarstine
Sep 5, 2013

I would gladly be the first general of Tropico.

Also i'm pleasantly amused that the guy that got my name is super melodramatic.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
TROPICO rear end

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Guarstine posted:

I would gladly be the first general of Tropico.

Also i'm pleasantly amused that the guy that got my name is super melodramatic.

similarly, I'm pleased as punch that the character with my name is a lovable drunk who grows nourishing foodstuffs and dispenses life advice, just like I'm a lovable stoner who, uh,

anyway I favor naming our settlement with a mixture of modern concepts with some old-West flavor, like Waifu's Nipples or Tsundere Valley or whatnot

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
United Slaves of rear end

Also some dude made a mod that has a “cave” a while back, loads a new mesh or something in via magic for the person who asked about underground stuff

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This game looks sweet as poo poo.

Put me into your cool looking Mad Max Samurai simulator game please Leal

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Tropico is a good name.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Beep is clearly the hero of the story.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm trying to figure out effective ways to train toughness and combat without abusing prisoners and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I started by training my whole group to martial arts 10, with 30 str and around 15 melee defense. Everyone has at least a full set of standard drifter gear and some people have standard plate jackets. Then I sent them against hungry bandits around the waystation in the eastern outskirts of the border zone and was surprised by how badly they still beat me. Like yeah I'm doing martial arts with 10 skill so I didn't expect to win but not taking down a single one of them in return kinda sucked. And I'm also not really training martial arts that well it seems. Two fights have resulted in a single point on one of my nine recruits. At least the toughness xp gain is good but I feel like I'm approaching combat wrong in this game because I don't really know how the mechanics and math actually works

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Beep is clearly the hero of the story.

This is the truth.

Thus I propose a base name of Beepico.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Airspace posted:

This is the truth.

Thus I propose a base name of Beepico.

Beepico Neptunia Hyperdimension rear end

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Beep & Co.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cannibal Plains

Hey sup my Nomad friends, let your friends know that there is gonna be a place of rest here in the future!

This spot has a 100% gather rate for stone, I throw down a stone mine (its weird, we put the stones in a pile and then we pick the stone back out of it), a stone processor and a building materials box. Stone goes into the processor, out comes building materials. The mine and processor will have 3 spots for workers, as we research better types of processors and mines we can get away with less workers. Eventually it can be completely automated, only needing a person to haul stuff around.

On the opposite end we have an iron ore mine. I pretty much do the same as the stone mine, I put down an iron refinery (we must research iron plates first for a few books), an iron ore box and an iron plate box.

After that I get ready to build some walls. When building gates and walls there will be a blue arrow that you point outwards of your base. Since I've been doing research while in the Hub, we can move onto tier 2 walls and gates instead of the tier 1 ones. Besides the typical increased durability, tier 2 walls will let us stand on them.

I start laying down the blueprints, going from one hill across to the other, with a gate on each side. I put the gate further inwards so that our walls can look over the gate and we can shoot at people from the sides when they're attacking the gate.

I set everyone to get to building, and whenever they run out of building materials they will go back to mining and refining. Each section of wall will take 2 building materials, the gate will take 10 materials.

Hey sup Cannibal Hunter bros, just you wait there is gonna be a place of rest here ya'll can chill at.

The ghost village is north of our base, it has an automated well that we can swipe water from and we can work the wheat farms that are already there. Also the free beds :v:

So this is weird, for some reason walls I'm putting up on the west side of the base are being marked as belonging in the town of the nearby Flotsam Scout Post. Despite still being owned by me. This means I can't deconstruct the wall. This problem happens with walls built further north as being part of the Ghost Village town. I'll have to do an import later on so I can get the ability to destroy these.

I start building our own proper farm, as farming the Ghost Village farms requires manual input from me since its not considered ours. The environment of this area is green which will grow a lot of different types of crops. Pretty much every crop that isn't rice and cactus. I put down some wheat so we can make bread. We can upgrade farms which requires additional crops, and beyond what is initially needed to build we wont have to worry about replanting crops to grow more. Our first few harvests are going to be used to fully upgrade the farm.

As our walls get built up I place some mounted crossbows on the walls. Mounted crossbows use the turret skill and do more damage then handheld crossbows. But the best part: They don't use ammo. Though i do gently caress up a bit here with this placement, at this angle the person aiming to the right is most likely going to hit that pole.

And I put up our own well, no more runs to the Ghost Village. Wells will need someone to operate it and pull up water, the well can store 10 barrels worth of water. I've got Satan's Onion set to take care of the farm then to pull water, so whenever its time to get crops she'll tend the farm then pulls water during the down time.

It begins. Welcome to the price you pay for a base, raids! Any hostiles will periodically throw attacks your way, bandits will demand pay and if you refuse they'll attack.

Thankfully on top of the warning you can see where they're coming from on the map as red dots. These attacks do come from a place, however they can seem to pop up from places that supposedly have zero population.

Annoyingly they attack from the side we don't have the walls built up at. And hoo boy thats quite the number of cannibals...

Oh hey, sup Flotsam, fancy meeting you around these parts :respek:

Nice try guys, enjoy your trip home! There are some loose goals with invaders, some people will loot your stocks, sometimes they'll throw out your defenders and occupy the base, or for cannibals they just want to eat people. With that latter part, we can actually just take off and when they see there is no people to eat in the base they go away.

Drakenel, you have the defensive weapon, you are wearing the highest grade chainmail shirt in the entire clan, why are you the only one who consistently gets KO'd? I set down a bedroll for her to rest....

Just for a drat cannibal to pick her up and run off :argh: This is the annoying thing with the inability to finish off downed enemies, there is so many bodies around the base and any who isn't dead will play dead and as soon as someone goes to sleep one of them will spring up, run for the person and run off. And to make it worse, no one bothers attacking them since they don't actually attack anyone. Its weird cause there is an explicit "kidnap" command, separate from "pick up" with the proper AI coded in so someone will call you out for carrying someone you picked up that you shouldn't be picking up.

I send our quick murder beast to retrieve Drakenel.

Bases aren't always a place to be raided though, we also get friendly caravans who stop by from time to time. Namely Hivers, who have some real brass balls to gladly leave their hive to go through cannibal territory for an opportunity to trade. I buy all of their building materials and sell off all the cannibal weapons.

On the right side of the faction screen we can see events in regards to our bases, from raids or traders in progress, possibly future raids and if we happened to have hired mercenaries their contract will be here. And yes, that is raids from 3 different cannibal clans. Every hour is dinner time :unsmigghh:

Another raid, and dammit I didn't get this section of the wall finished :byodood:

Well Shootaboy at least has some wall to stand on to shoot at people. Shoot some boys, I mean they are the tiny cannibals.

Oh god this LP is gonna be banned * Note all characters in this LP are 18 or older, even if depicted as otherwise

Whew ok that was a close one

Anyways here have a giant bull murdering a bunch of cannibals. He's hitting them for 120 each, if he isn't KO'ing them by doing that to their heads, stomach or chest then he is crippling them by busting their legs and arms.

Look at all the red :black101:

Alright Drakenel, you blocked an attack from the side and countered immediately. You clearly know how to use the blade. Stop getting ko'd all the time you're one of the medics!

Hilariously, I finally get to see dodge being used for its other use, avoiding attacks when you're staggered. Dodge is mainly used for defense while doing martial arts, but it can help you recover from being staggered.

Have fun crawling back to the cannibal nest! There is about 8 cannibals here with shattered legs.

When you mess with the bull you get the horns :downsrim:

Meanwhile we see arrows on the odd cannibal, straight through the gut!

Hey wait what the gently caress is this poo poo

STOP CHEATING GOD DAMMIT

Good ol' jank, for whatever reason the wall here next to the gate is not considered solid and anyone can just walk past it.

Finally got our kitchen up and running. I set up a stove with containers for greenfruit, meat, bread baskets and flour storage next to a bread oven. Outside I placed a mill for turning the wheat into flour, Guarstine will be doing milling, Deadman will be our cook once again.

Uh oh, cannibals got to our gate. Raids usually go to your gate, you get a notification that "so and so raid has arrived" and there is a little dialogue scene before they attack. For cannibals the dialogue is as follows:

: Meat. Meat! MEAT! Meat! MEAT! MEAT! Meat!

I'll go ahead and just... close the gate between them. Annoyingly, gates aren't automated and close when enemies get close. You can set your base to be open to the public (this is different from the traders you get visiting) so you can have neutral/friendly people visiting and giving some life to your base. And while they wont actively fight for you, they do defend themselves.

Oh and closing the gate made no difference cause the wall issue :eng99:

Uh oh, the Holy Nation is gonna attack :ohdear:

Also at this point I rename the base to Jetsam, because of how close we were to Flotsam I mean it only made sense!

And what is this, on the bottom? Allied reinforcements?

Annoyingly on this side of the wall, the wall was low enough that people were able to walk over it. So I threw this ugly rear end wall to block it off.

I send Lela, Ibble and Noire out to the Holy Nation attack force. 24 men, half of them are Holy Sentinels and the other half are Holy Chosen who don't get any armor. They're led by a Paladin. I've got some plans with these guys while they're traveling...

Back at base, some Flotsam ninjas showed up!

: Didn't think we'd let you face the Holy Nation without us, did you? We fight together, or we die together... Good luck, my friends.

:glomp:

If we have allies nearby and are attacked by their enemy, they may send some people to help defend the base. Pretty sweet. I mostly wanted to build up here so the Flotsam can reach us before the Holy Nation does.

So what are our ninjas up to? KO'ing everyone one by one, snatching their weapons and armor, then running off to the fishing village in the back to sell them.

The assault arrives, and with no weapons... they proceed to punch the gate. Annoyingly, gates are weak. Hilariously weak. These guys punching the gate? Doing the same damage as if they had weapons. Each hit to a gate does 20 damage, and a gate has... I dunno, 10 condition. I don't know the exact health a gate has, but what I can say is that the Holy Nation manages to break through the gate in about 15 seconds of punching it. Yeah, gates are minor speed bumps, though they can last a bit longer if you have people repairing them as they're being hit. You can also cheese it by constantly pausing as the gate is rising while you're repairing it, and as soon as you can close it again (it'll get repaired enough partway through opening to no longer be considered broken) you can get it closed before the enemy can move inside.

With the Flotsam ninjas hanging around, and none of the enemies having weapons, they pretty much get slaughtered. RIP

Aaaand during all that, AnilEhilated and Shootaboy get stuck on this ridge cause they got launched while heading to that building that is currently being built. Thankfully they're close enough that I can send someone to get close to them and pick them up.

After all that I thank the Flotsam by taking Lettuce on over then stealing greenfruit from their farms :v: Its weird, its considered stealing from a farm but you always get a 100% success chance and even if you do it right in front of someone currently working the farm you don't get in trouble. While I'm here, the Flotsam are also growing hemp so I take that as well. We need 10 of each to start up the smallest farm.

While patrolling around we find a cannibal camp, with several hungry bandits tied. Also some Holy Nation people but gently caress those guys

... There are 2 reactions here from the people whose locks we pick

: I gotta get out of here before they get back!

: You can't disobey the masters!!

:psyduck:

While busting the rest out acid rain hits. gently caress.

: Bloody acid rain!

: Acid rain! Take cover!

: Freedom :buddy:!

Sucks to be the HN people or the guys who refuse to escape after we freed them, enjoy the acid rain assholes.

I build an L House, a decently sized building with a roof and use it for our crafting house. I have Dr Snark making leather from the ton of animal skins we've found. Whats great is that this also trains the armor smith skill, so Dr Snark is gonna be a great armor smith just off tanning skin :v: I also build a leather armor bench next to it, and we have some animal skin barrels and leather barrels. Of course we will need to research leather armor to use these buildings.

I also build a corpse incinerator at the base and set up Mr Bones to do corpse disposal. Corpses attract creatures, and are unsightly. Sadly this can't be used to burn people who are KO'd, only people who are explicitly dead. Moral reason, I'm sure.

Thanks to Guper for reminding me that the incinerator does produce a burst of power, if we had batteries we can take advantage of that.

The leather armor bench is finished and we can use it to craft things. Benches will take leather and fabric, and each recipe will use a certain amount of those materials to craft. So its not explicitly 1 leather gets used, but maybe 20% of a single unit of leather will be used for crafting. We start with a few basic recipes, and I went and bought drifter recipes so we can get some higher quality stuff without hoping for a merchant to carry them.

Skill determines both the quality of the item and how long it will take to craft. Armors will get their skill from the smith who makes it, but for weapons we'll need to research the quality before our smith can make that quality, regardless of their skill.

WELCOME TO HAVING A BASE IN THE CANNIBAL PLAINS! Look at all them dots, god drat. Lots of training though!

In fact the attacks are so often I'm building beds before building a specific building just so we can have people heal up fast enough to keep up with the attacks.

I also pick up a jitte weapon for Shootaboy, the cannibals keep rushing him and jittes provide really solid defense bonuses.

.... And then a bunch of people in their underwear run past our base.

: GYEEEEHHHH

... Also they're shrieking random gibberish. And here I was thinking the cannibals were the only crazies.

On a lark I decide to do some exploring, and I send our ninjas out to a nearby Holy Nation base.

Fairly fortified, it does however have a bakery and a general storage that I steal food and materials from. Just because we can make our own food doesn't mean I'm not above stealing it from the Holy Nation :v:

The base is coming along nicely, I got 2 wheat farms at max size going and a greenfruit farm going to make foodcubes. Foodcube require a bread and 8 greenfruit to make, and it provides 75 nutrition. I go with this instead of gohan for now as rice can only grow in swamps, and I don't want to build hydroponics yet.

We need books. More books. More research. I pack up the entire group and we head to a ruins that I found in a map.

On the way up there, more villages. There will be quite a few villages up here on this peninsula.

I send up Lela to scout and its a village full of cannibals. All the villages up here are cannibal villages with bedrolls, cages and these huts.

The huts have a birdcage on the side, I can only imagine whats supposed to be in there :gonk:

One of the cannibals is actually wearing some armor, has a bounty and a unique name. Lakka Harsh-'Ingers. His bounty is for the UC and HN though, so I'll give it a pass. I don't want to run someone all the way out to the UC territory for a 10k bounty.

Setting shot of the rising sun

We arrive at the ruins... and its a library. Dammit

Not much to be found inside, just the usual maps with the odd book. Also for some reason a tree was placed inside of this building. The destroyed building here has the usual building mats, plates, other assorted junk.

Well that was a bust, we hook all the way around to another peninsula. Hopefully that place will have some science books.

Along the way we get accosted by hungry bandits. However this time we have the option of conversation.

: You. Hear us out. You give us food... and we wont slaughter you. Hand over your food and nobody dies.

: This is crazy. Half starved and making threats at me?

: Also have you seen that we outnumber you 2 to 1, and thats without the non combatants?

: The gently caress do I care! If I can fill my stomach it's worth the risk fighting an asswipe like you...

: Put your sword away. I can help you.

: ....

: Here... [-1,500C]

: Okay... this is good.

We do get some relations with the starving bandits for this as well. Its just a shame that we don't get the option for conversation all the time and we'll lose this relationship when a different group attacks us and hates us for having the tenacity to defend ourselves.

Oh god, the screaming weirdos are back.

: GEHHHH

: FLOOOOOP

: GREEEEEEICH?!

: EEEEEEEK AGGGGGHHHH!!! FLEEEEEEEK EEEEEEEK! AAAAAAAACK!

: KYAAAAAAH!

: SHRIEEEEK...

So, shrieking bandits. They run up at you and yell at you, if you yell at them wrong they attack. I happened to yell just right to make them go off without attacking us.

: So is that why you were sent to Rebirth or...?

: Remind me to do that to the Phoenix when we meet him.

We reach the destination with no other interruptions, coming across a single building. I send Lela up to scout ahead...

Oh god, the building has a good number of security robots around. Thankfully its dark, and I guess these robots don't have thermal vision and require light to see. Plenty of containers in the building, lets see what they got...

:hawaaaafap: The black chainmail is also specialist quality. Holy poo poo. Lela puts on the dark leather shirt, that aint coming off until a masterwork is found.

There are a few safes right in front of this spider, but Lela is one with the shadows and picks the safe right in front of it.

I come out with a LOT of loot. Several specialist chainmail and weapons in the Mk II or III range. The sabre users and polearm users got a definite upgrade out of this. Sadly no science books.

On the way home, more sun rising pictures, with the sun beam reflecting in the water.

We arrive home, the place was targeted by a cannibal attack but thankfully the cannibals were sporting and decided to wait for us. They even let us run past them and into the base!

Thanks guys, and time in! You can leave a base and it "freezes" the base when its loaded out of memory, so no attacks, and any attacks that were queued to happen will wait until you return. This is why I brought the stay at home squad in those adventures.

Still trying to get books, I send Ibble out to Obedience, there is a single ruins there they can check out.

Oh hey, a bunch of tech hunters hanging outside the gate waiting to get in. I go ahead and let them in, people visiting your base can possibly buy something off a built shop counter. This has the bonus of selling an item at its full value, like say with food.

... Annoyingly, even with a mod no one buys the food cubes I leave in a shopping counter from this point on.

Back with Ibble, this is the building on the map. We pick on through...

Oh dear, spiders all around and its well lit. Thankfully there is only a few spiders and Ibble can get behind cover before they notice her.

drat, this safe has a 45% chance even with 70+ lockpicking.

More skeleton brains but even better, 11 science books! This is great but I was really pulling for some engineering books. Still, we can go ahead and get more researching done.

Back at base, some nomads make a visit.

Can you really call people living in an outpost in the wilderness with a bunch of cannibals "townies"? Anyways we do make a purchase...

Meet Crane, our new pupper.

Aint he the most adorable little thing :3:

THAT'S RIGHT CRANE, BITE THAT CANNIBAL RIGHT IN THE DICK! SHOW THEM WHAT ITS LIKE TO BE EATEN ALIVE!

A dick biting dog and now our martial artists have enough skill to do flying kicks into the skulls of an invading cannibal hoard. Can it get any better?

After some time I completely redo the base and get rid of the second gate. I also build a bug house, a giant building that lets us build some turrets above the walls.

Before we end things off, lets grab another recruit. Heading into the fishing village there is a handful of unique recruits, but I'm looking for one in particular.

: Err... Three?

: No one drat well knows, they gave up keeping count. We've found about seven chewed up remains up in the hills this week alone. Whether those body parts were from the same person or whether they were seven different bodies, I'll be damned. A farmer can't work in a place like this, it's suicide. I need to leave but I can't set up base alone, I need fellow settlers to start over with...

: You're welcome to join us. We could use the skills of a farmer.

: That's great news! I hear there are greener pastures down south, in the holy lands. We should find fertile soil there... I'll need an advance of 2000 Cats first, but I'll be more than worth that cost in skill, drifter. You can take my word for it, I've been tending crops since I was eleven years old. Some folks even nicknamed me Green Finger...

: Great, here you go.

: Also we aren't going into the Holy Lands.

Dervinosdoom joins the party, a farmer who can help Satan's Onion as I expand our crops.

: Just our luck, not a minute away from the village and drat cannibals appear. We'll be safe once we reach your outpost right?

: Oh yeah, we've gotten pretty good at killing cannibals.

: Thats good. Where are you settled again?

: Oh just around the corner. Don't worry, we usually get 2 or 3 swarms a day. You get used to it.

: But...but...

: Also our leader can communicate with naked people through screaming

: :what:

Welcome to Jetsam! Enjoy growing some dank rear end hemp so we don't have to rely on stealing cloth from the Holy Nation. Hemp provides more efficient returns of cloth then cotton.

In the crafting house I build a weapon bench for Fat Samurai, an auto loom for hemp (this requires researching hemp farming, then hemp cloth, then auto hemp cloth) and a clothing bench. I put a ceiling light above the weapon and leather armor benches as you do get penalties for doing things in the dark, and this can effect the quality of the finished product. The lights require interior lighting researched to be built, and use 1 power each.

And to end it all off, here is Crane playing "limbs" with a cannibals severed arm. Isn't he the most adorable thing :3:

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 4, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

I'm trying to figure out effective ways to train toughness and combat without abusing prisoners and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I started by training my whole group to martial arts 10, with 30 str and around 15 melee defense. Everyone has at least a full set of standard drifter gear and some people have standard plate jackets. Then I sent them against hungry bandits around the waystation in the eastern outskirts of the border zone and was surprised by how badly they still beat me. Like yeah I'm doing martial arts with 10 skill so I didn't expect to win but not taking down a single one of them in return kinda sucked. And I'm also not really training martial arts that well it seems. Two fights have resulted in a single point on one of my nine recruits. At least the toughness xp gain is good but I feel like I'm approaching combat wrong in this game because I don't really know how the mechanics and math actually works

Wearing armor will slow down your toughness gains, you need to get hit wearing as little protection as possible.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I know that the game isn't sophisticated enough to make that farmer notice where your outpost is, but it's still hilarious.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
A couple things:

1) Burning bodies actually also produces a small amount of power in addition to tidying things up. Talk about renewable energy.

2) You might know this, but to fix the cannibals walking/under through walls/gates you can try fixing the Nav Mesh by hitting Ctrl-Shift-F11

Loving the updates! Hope you end up acquiring the new animal down in the southeast bit of the map, they are at least as adorable.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Leal posted:

A dick biting dog and now our martial artists have enough skill to do flying kicks into the skulls of an invading cannibal hoard. Can it get any better?

If this was the cover image of the game it would have sold thousands of copies in an instant. That is just inspiring right there.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Looking good so far, but with no rice production, meaning no steady source of gohan, how will we attract generic Shounen protagonists to our cause???

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Man this game is so Jank it's great.

All it really needs is improbable wrestling and we will have Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode 2.0

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Maybe if my dodge wasn't 2 I'd get hit less. :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Snark posted:

If this was the cover image of the game it would have sold thousands of copies in an instant. That is just inspiring right there.

That's nothing- at the highest levels of MA you can punch the limbs off people :black101: It's some real Fist of the North Star poo poo!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

On a related note, I like to think that as these massive cannibal attacks are happening, I'm just leaning out the door every once in a while and going "WOULD YOU KEEP IT DOWN, I'M TRYING TO WORK HERE!"

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I mean, I was hoping for a sapient character, but on the other hand a dick-biting vicious dog that plays fetch with severed limbs is pretty good. :allears:
My ambition is to eat the dick of the Phoenix. Mmm, divine genitals...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Leal posted:

Wearing armor will slow down your toughness gains, you need to get hit wearing as little protection as possible.
You sure that it's that simple? Games like this bring out the horrible min/max nerd inside of me so my instinct is to wear armor early so that fight takes longer. Not only for taking more hits overall, but also for having more time to land some hits and gain fighting xp. I would assume that this is more effective than going down after like four hits as long as those hits don't come with a crazy amount of bonus xp for being nude. I mean eventually you want to ditch the armor after you got tougher but early on it seems bad to spend so much time healing for what may be weak gains. Also I'm mainly unhappy with the slow amount of MA skill gains I'm seeing. I got beat up four times now and my nine recruits all gained a single point of MA skill while shooting up to 20 in toughness so yeah one side of my training clearly works better than the other

Thx for the input btw!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yes, I grow "hemp" :drugnerd:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tin Tim posted:

You sure that it's that simple?

Technically yeah, but as you pointed out it's not much use if you want to train other skills. That said, Toughness does increase MA damage, so if you're surviving your naked bumfights, you should eventually have enough Toughness to just power through most enemy attacks and do some damage when your fists do connect. Just make sure someone's always nearby to provide backup if and when it's needed, and perhaps enough cash for a robotic limb or two if you happen to lose one.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

dervinosdoom posted:

Yes, I grow "hemp" :drugnerd:

It can literally be refined into hash, so, yeah. :drugnerd:

It makes cloth, biofuel, and drugs, the only thing you can't do with hemp is eat it, and I'm sure there's a mod out there for "special" dustwiches or something.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dareon posted:

It can literally be refined into hash, so, yeah. :drugnerd:

It makes cloth, biofuel, and drugs, the only thing you can't do with hemp is eat it, and I'm sure there's a mod out there for "special" dustwiches or something.

Tetrahydrocannabinol!

(Feed it to the babies!)

Tetrahydrocannabinol!

(Or as a topping on Soured Cream!)

Tetrahydrocannabinol! Helping Ingenuitize the Future across the Wastes!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cannibals and Cannabis

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Guper posted:

1) Burning bodies actually also produces a small amount of power in addition to tidying things up. Talk about renewable energy.

2) You might know this, but to fix the cannibals walking/under through walls/gates you can try fixing the Nav Mesh by hitting Ctrl-Shift-F11

Thanks for reminding me of that first part. For the second I do eventually do that, its why the Holy Nation had to punch the gates closed.

Dr. Snark posted:

On a related note, I like to think that as these massive cannibal attacks are happening, I'm just leaning out the door every once in a while and going "WOULD YOU KEEP IT DOWN, I'M TRYING TO WORK HERE!"

This is basically how it is, the farmers and crafters are set to passive so they're just hanging in back. Meanwhile at the gate there is cannibals dying by the dozens.

Tin Tim posted:

You sure that it's that simple?

Something you can try is getting someone with a weapon that has a bonus to defense then set them to block and taunt so the bandits will focus on them while your martial artists throw punches.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Looking good so far, but with no rice production, meaning no steady source of gohan, how will we attract generic Shounen protagonists to our cause???

I mean Lela and Ibble are doing flying kicks, what more is needed to be a generic shounen protag :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I mean Lela and Ibble are doing flying kicks, what more is needed to be a generic shounen protag :v:

Doing anything for some gohan for one!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
again, if you're playing this game and you're obsessive about training and stats like i am, you want to mod the hell out of the game to get a lot of training benches. certain things are incredibly manual to train, toughness is a perfect example. you will basically need to take a group of nerds out to the desert and get beaten to hell by hungry bandits over and over and over again while mostly naked. after a small 'startup' amount of toughness you will be able to stand up again after being thrashed (your unconscious status will go away faster than they can move on), which will give you huge amounts of toughness XP. it's not something that's HARD, per se, but it gets really annoying to do it the 15th time - and you will have to do it that often, because literally anyone who is going to be in combat has an acute need for lots of toughness. this gets worse when you combine it with things that really ARE a colossal pain in the rear end to level to an acceptable level, like martial arts and dodge. a character's effectiveness combines all of these, there's no one weird trick to make it less painful.

alternately, you can download a mod that will get you to 60 in a skill after a week of hard training and just drop the new recruit into a 'trainees' group and ignore them for a month or whatever until they are ready to do the job you want them to do. you still must support them during their soft, useless time - mechanically it is quite similar. but for the user experience it's definitely going to be the difference between being frustrated and being engaged.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im so glad someone is LPing this game. I bought it about 9 years ago when even the original desert map hadn't been completed and you couldn't start a squad. I've been playing ever since but got burned out a couple years back. Never even tried playing with mods, so it looks like Im going to be picking it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus, we've come really far from two escaped slave women. (still catching up on this LP so I can copy your amazing success).