Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

Exterminators and Swarms should be able to make pleasure worlds that keep foreign pops as laborers but also culls them for resources at a lower rate. A big glorious trap world attracting the lesser races.

I haven't given any further thought to this idea but it sounds cool

Pretty sure that was the plot to an episode of Battlestar Galactica (the original, good one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Preston Waters posted:

lol I'm not a super-fan. I've seen all of the movies, TOS, and I watch TNG whenever I see reruns on BBC America. I haven't actually watched TNG in order or anything. I've only recently started doing the same with Voyager because they're airing that a lot lately. I've never seen Enterprise and don't really care too because it looks loving awful. I've never seen a single episode of DS9 either, but would be down to watch it.

I should prob get around to watching TNG, DS9, and Voyager in order though. I hated Voyager at first because the characters were so much weaker than TNG's, but it has some of the best plots / episodes I've seen yet. The writing was great for that show, from what I've seen.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if I have to try and recreate the plot / decisions made during the shows then I'm gonna be boned, lmbo.

If you think Voyager was good

wooo boy

You should mention that in the GBS thread

But for reals, watch DS9, accepting that the first season is janky. For the event chain, just look up the Enterprise season on Memory Alpha, assuming you don't care about spoilers.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Loel posted:

So Im installing this game for the first time since ... 1.9, or so. Bought all DLC except Megacorps and watched a bunch of videos to catch up. Im planning to play the default evil humans, Supremacy tree, Nihilistic Acquisition, and use a corvette swarm to kick things off. What should I focus on for my starting corvettes, build wise?

Corvette swarms aren't too expensive to refit, so you should be flexible and just refit to whatever beats what you're currently facing. Early on most of the alien blockers don't use shields so an all Laser armament will work, but defensively it will matter who you run up against. You want all Shields for Drones but that's not so hot against Amoebae whose fighter swarms will ignore 'em, that sort of thing.

The default starter 'vette has a PD section and two Small weapons, you should change that out immediately for three Smalls. Other than that, just keep refitting to beat what you're fighting next and keep a balanced build the rest of the time.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Loel posted:

So Im installing this game for the first time since ... 1.9, or so. Bought all DLC except Megacorps and watched a bunch of videos to catch up. Im planning to play the default evil humans, Supremacy tree, Nihilistic Acquisition, and use a corvette swarm to kick things off. What should I focus on for my starting corvettes, build wise?

jng2058 posted:

Corvette swarms aren't too expensive to refit, so you should be flexible and just refit to whatever beats what you're currently facing. Early on most of the alien blockers don't use shields so an all Laser armament will work, but defensively it will matter who you run up against. You want all Shields for Drones but that's not so hot against Amoebae whose fighter swarms will ignore 'em, that sort of thing.

The default starter 'vette has a PD section and two Small weapons, you should change that out immediately for three Smalls. Other than that, just keep refitting to beat what you're fighting next and keep a balanced build the rest of the time.

Always keep 3-5 picket corvettes in your early war fleets, because starbases always have missiles. Essentially, this means at game start turn off auto-made ships, create a new picket design, and upgrade your starting 3 ships for 3 alloys to this new design. This will noticeably decrease damage from attacking enemy stations, and avoids bugs with the automated ship design.

In 2.2.6 it sounds like they're cheapening refit costs which'll help, but refitting for what you're facing gets stupid expensive fast. Unless you're facing a crisis you shouldn't be retooling your fleet. Outside of large upgrades in effectiveness I'd even argue that a super aggressive empire should aim to refit for upgrades only during forced peace, otherwise let reinforcements of newer designs be how you upgrade.

In terms of what weapons to focus on, it really is up to you. Enemies will have a split between armor and shields so you tend to want a weapon that targets each, and both kinetics and lasers do the same against hull. Missiles work as long as you make sure to have a large amount, as outpacing point defense is perfectly possible. Missiles tend to be pretty good at taking upgraded starbases. As before, more ships is better than perfect ships. Note that soldiers from strongholds produce 4 base naval cap (6 after an early green tech) the same as an anchorage. The big difference is you're spending minerals, a building slot, and a pop instead of alloys, which early on is usually a pretty good trade. Also consider taking at least 1 level of militarist ethos and either citizen service (+1 unity from soldiers, +15% naval cap) or distinguished admiralty (+10% fire rate, +1 max admiral level, +10 fleet cap).

Detroyers have a higher chance to disengage than corvettes, so if you're planning on an attrition style whittling down of enemy fleets looking for those + disengage admiral + disengage war policy (from end of supremacy) can greatly reduce your losses. Engage the enemy at a defensive station if possible with the -disengage chance for enemies to kill more of their poo poo.

Xerxes17 posted:

Oh and vassalizing is dicey because hahaha the sector system is hosed. Seriously, why hasn't a hotfix been put out that lets you just manually edit them like you could before?

They want you to have more than like 2 sectors, which is what nearly everyone did before. I think just having a "refactor sectors" button that rebuilds your sectors for minimal sectors, letting you designate a sector capital, and adding in late game techs to increase sector size would solve most of my non-ai issues with sectors while still removing mega-sectors.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Ship/fleet design in Stellaris is pretty simple, really; Corvette swarms counter Battleships, Destroyers counter Corvettes, long-range Battleships counter Destroyers and other Battleships, and Cruisers are useless.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ship/fleet design in Stellaris is pretty simple, really; Corvette swarms counter Battleships, Destroyers counter Corvettes, long-range Battleships counter Destroyers and other Battleships, and Cruisers are useless.

I don't know where this idea that cruisers are useless comes from. Yes, they are largely obsoleted by battleships but a picket cruiser with 6 medium mounts will mulch high-evasion fleets in a way no other ship can. They also have a lot of versatility and are perfectly viable for monofleets.

Destroyers are the useless ones, they're only good for mounting point defense, which is questionably useful even when your enemy is fielding the weapons they counter. They don't have the evasion to dodge big guns reliably so they have higher casualty rates than corvettes despite their better withdrawal chance.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Jabarto posted:

I don't know where this idea that cruisers are useless comes from. Yes, they are largely obsoleted by battleships but a picket cruiser with 6 medium mounts will mulch high-evasion fleets in a way no other ship can. They also have a lot of versatility and are perfectly viable for monofleets.

Cruisers being useless is from quite a while ago, the meta has changed loads since then.
Really they're all quite good but I tend to have the fewest destroyers because they seem to die quite a bit and cost more to replace than corvettes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Destroyers are indeed only good for mounting PD; they're support ships that should be used in conjunction with other ship types. If the enemy doesn't have missiles, torpedoes or bombers, they aren't worth using.

Cruisers aren't worth bothering with because they're soon enough obsoleted by Battleships. Their window is just too narrow to even bother designing them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Starting as an Illuminati Shadow Govt, I've noticed that the sensor range at the start is boundless.

Is there a console command to hide or restrict the map's visibility?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Destroyers are indeed only good for mounting PD; they're support ships that should be used in conjunction with other ship types. If the enemy doesn't have missiles, torpedoes or bombers, they aren't worth using.

Cruisers aren't worth bothering with because they're soon enough obsoleted by Battleships. Their window is just too narrow to even bother designing them.

Early on, destroyers can mount L weapon slots and line computers making them much better than corvettes for certain matchups, such as attacking larger ship sizes, stations, and space monsters. If you're doing a defense bypass build, L slots can hold cloud lightning guns which are pretty good. They're by far the best for pickets, fielding twice as many slots per CP as corvettes. With 25% less evasion than corvettes it is harder to make evasion builds, but not impossible. Corvettes only real edge is an easier time hitting max evasion and being able to mount missile weapons.

So if you aren't using missiles, and they aren't all in on weapons really bad against evasion (large kinetics essentially), destroyers function just as well as corvettes.

Cruisers are worse as a screen against missiles (poor picket section options), but can function really well as anti-corvette ships (combination of mount options and computer options). They're also quite functional as a missile base, and are your first strike craft option. They're likely to have better hull than your corvettes per CP as well (takes both +hull techs to get more). They do a lot of poo poo that battleships can't (notably battleships have no missile options, and can't use picket computers) and can mount the same amount of s/m/l slots per CP as a battleship. The only real edges battleships have is xl slots, hangers, and if you're going for max L slots (6 L slots versus 4 L 4 M).

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I think I remember reading someone else mentioning this, but I was just irritated by it: I have a criminal syndicate as a protectorate -- I remember accepting their protectorate request, but I thought they were a "regular" megacorporation at the time, and I suspect they may have changed civics since then.

In any case, they keep building crime-producing buildings on my planets, and it isn't too hard for me to keep pace with Precinct Houses, Halls of Judgment, and Psi Corps, but I feel like there should be a diplomatic interaction along the lines of "knock it off!" I was notified that I had the Expropriation CB after the first branch office opened, but I obviously can't declare war with my own protectorate, and I don't see any other way to have them remove these branch offices.

Similarly, I think it would be appropriate to get some special diplomatic responses from empires that are currently being eaten by an end-game crisis. Nothing like that, though -- the friendly hive mind next door greets me with "The Caloctora Hive greets you, Grand Marshal. Although you are not part of us, you will come to know that we value our friends as well." A more appropriate greeting would be "PLEASE HELP US, WE ARE BEING CONSUMED BY EXTRADIMENSIONAL INVADERS" -- there is game logic in place to open borders when something like that is happening, so some different flavor text might be nice too.

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 3, 2019

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Two things I want to try out in multiplayer:

1: Megacorp with a Gaia start, heavily slavery based. Steal or buy slaves from other players and stack them as high as they'll go on your gaia world, mid-game transition to genetic ascension and start selling artisinally crafted pops back to the galaxy at large! This can't currently be done because Megacorps can't pick Life Seeded :(

2: Criminal Syndicate with fanatic militarist/Authoritarian. Play aggressively, expand aggressively and vassalise/tributise your neighbours and become a regional superpower. This has extreme drawbacks as you'll get coalitioned eventually and you have no natural allies, your only avenue of diplomacy is bullying. But as a gimmick it taunts me.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Two things I want to try out in multiplayer:

1: Megacorp with a Gaia start, heavily slavery based. Steal or buy slaves from other players and stack them as high as they'll go on your gaia world, mid-game transition to genetic ascension and start selling artisinally crafted pops back to the galaxy at large! This can't currently be done because Megacorps can't pick Life Seeded :(

2: Criminal Syndicate with fanatic militarist/Authoritarian. Play aggressively, expand aggressively and vassalise/tributise your neighbours and become a regional superpower. This has extreme drawbacks as you'll get coalitioned eventually and you have no natural allies, your only avenue of diplomacy is bullying. But as a gimmick it taunts me.

For #2 you just need to point out the positives to a potential ally. First off, a little bit of crime lets them use the "negotiate with crime lords" decision for +10 stability (also removes negative events from crime). Then offer to prioritize pirate free havens, which generates them a soldier job (+6 naval cap if they have the tech). Smuggler port for 2nd building gets them a merchant job. Then just make sure you don't build branch offices willy-nilly on them, just when they've got the influence on a planet to start a crime deal.

Honestly in general until they change that decision, crime syndicates are nice because you don't have to spend influence on a commercial pact with them to get benefits like easy crime lord deals. Also if people are building +alloy buildings (along with some ones) you get flat trade value instead of 2 clerk jobs, which is nice.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ZypherIM posted:

Cruisers are worse as a screen against missiles (poor picket section options), but can function really well as anti-corvette ships (combination of mount options and computer options). They're also quite functional as a missile base, and are your first strike craft option. They're likely to have better hull than your corvettes per CP as well (takes both +hull techs to get more). They do a lot of poo poo that battleships can't (notably battleships have no missile options, and can't use picket computers) and can mount the same amount of s/m/l slots per CP as a battleship. The only real edges battleships have is xl slots, hangers, and if you're going for max L slots (6 L slots versus 4 L 4 M).

Thing is, XL Battleships with Emitters/Launchers/Artillery will demolish Cruisers and Destroyers, and are only really threatened by mass Torpedo Corvette swarms and other Battleships (which Destroyers screen them against).

The Cruiser usability window is just really small - like right after you unlock them, before anyone has anything bigger, and even then I'd rather spend the alloys on hulls I can repurpose latter.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Has anyone noticed issues with purging presapients? Even with the extermination policy or whatever it's called selected, they just hang out forever. It's fine I guess but seems like a bug.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

They want you to have more than like 2 sectors, which is what nearly everyone did before. I think just having a "refactor sectors" button that rebuilds your sectors for minimal sectors, letting you designate a sector capital, and adding in late game techs to increase sector size would solve most of my non-ai issues with sectors while still removing mega-sectors.

Oh sure, I get that. I have to say I like having a poo poo-ton of governors around now because they tend to take the faction leadership positions instead of my scientists, who should be working in the labs, not playing president. But really you should be able to set a sector capital yourself, then allocate the surrounding systems as per the current rules so that you can't just have the core/non-core mega sector like you did in the past. This one simple change would sidestep allll of the problems that they're having with making it be automated by the game.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Early on destroyers are great for countering corvettes as you can take the 1M4S load-out and have a firepower/toughness advantage over corvettes along with better disengagement chance. Throw in a few L-gun destroyers for station bashing and you can do well. Then once cruisers come into play, you can reuse the destroyers as picket ships, but for a long time they'll still be useful because the AI will keep trucking with trash-fleets for a while. Cruisers I've taken a warming to as with all medium guns (3 rails and 3 lasers) and two tracking comps with a line computer, they will absolutely mulch destroyers and corvettes and do appreciable damage to other cruisers and battleships. Along with their good disengage chance now, they can really last in a war. Battleships are still king of course. I'd say that late game destroyers are a bit pointless aside for bringing PD, but early to mid they are a very good thing to have.

The issue I find is that early on, it seems the AI has a massive boner for PD to the point that every Corvette and Destroyer is packing maximum PD every time. This means that you can never use missiles, until you get swarmers at least, and that the AI gimps itself with retarded builds like "ALL LASERS or ONLY KINETICS" and then they become total pushovers.

On a side note, for defensive platforms, it seems my "Macross" build is the best to use. Two swarmers, one standard and one torpedo. They have really long range, can engage any target, and ignoring shields really helps them win the fight. Later on in the game DP becomes much less prevalent too, but before then the two swarmers will soak all the PD fire and let the missile and torp do some real work. I still put guns on the station though.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

jng2058 posted:

ZypherIM posted:

Always keep 3-5 picket corvettes in your early war fleets, because starbases always have missiles. Essentially, this means at game start turn off auto-made ships, create a new picket design, and upgrade your starting 3 ships for 3 alloys to this new design. This will noticeably decrease damage from attacking enemy stations, and avoids bugs with the automated ship design.

Kay so here's what I got :D Medium galaxy, random Fallen/Advanced/Aliens, Cadet difficulty.

Empire Name: Bob from HR
Fanatic Militarist / Xenophobe
Nationalistic Zeal / Distinguished Admiralty

Turned on Map the Stars, Encourage Growth Edicts immediately.
Relevant Mods: Automatic Exploration, Automatic Pop Migration

I opened with 6 Science Vessels and 2 Construction Ships, and sent them to auto explore. Goal was to identify major choke points that I could snake towards, building contained pockets of stars that I could fill it later. North, East and West found good stopping points leaving me with 20 claimed stars and 50+ for later. In the North West is another civilization I think, we haven’t spoken. The East is an unlimited expanse.

I built up a fleet of 10-20 Corvettes and had them hunt down any minor aliens they found. All tech research went to immediate weapon upgrades, and I got a random event that gave me plasma. After a few systems were cleared, I would swing back the fleet to Homeworld, upgrade, and build a few more ships. Was running huge mineral and energy surplus, so I used that to get more alloys, which let me do big 500-700 alloy purchases.

I did find two green habitation planets, which now have colonies, but I’m not focused on planet stuff just yet. Tradition wise, I’ve done Supremacy Tree (completed) along with Nihilistic Acquisition, and am working on Expansion tree (almost done) with Interstellar Dominion next.

The choke point to the south that I was gunning for got rushed by spiritual aliens, who grabbed the next couple systems to the East of it as well. I upgraded my station at the next closest choke point at the border, maxed out weapons, and began building more ships and got an Admiral. Used influence to claim the outermost worlds of the xeno, which trapped them completely in their own pocket if I won. Here’s the fleet I sent in:

27 corvettes, Admiral with Unyielding
War Doctrine: Hit and Run
Combat Computer Swarm
2x Small Plasma Thrower
1x Small Mass Driver
1x Regen Hull Tissue
3x Small Plasteel III
Ion Thrusters II

Idea being that they could regen any hull damage as they travelled. About 2k combat power, with enemy combat fleets averaging 500-1000 and scattered across multiple systems. I went through them like a chainsaw, no losses, and as I approached their homeworld I began building 20+ Assault Regiments. I figured I would raid pops until the armies arrived. Xeno surrendered before I got there :v: Turns out I had destroyed every ship they had, along with half their mining stations.

I’ve got a ten year truce now, and Gargantua is on the new border. I figure, grab that, grab the four systems on the way to xeno homeworld, and completely cut them off from the rest of their empire. Then I can use the starbase next to their homeworld to launch raids and steal pops until they run out.

Meanwhile, Imma build a 5-6 picket ships with missile defense to complement the fleet, keep expanding the science vessels East, and move the primary fleet to the Northwest and see if I can punch that other xeno empire I suspect is there. Likely problems in the future: I have no idea how jobs, homelessness, or border penalties work :v: I’m building a 4 legged kraken across the stars, and I expect that will cause issues soon.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Loel posted:

Meanwhile, Imma build a 5-6 picket ships with missile defense to complement the fleet, keep expanding the science vessels East, and move the primary fleet to the Northwest and see if I can punch that other xeno empire I suspect is there. Likely problems in the future: I have no idea how jobs, homelessness, or border penalties work :v: I’m building a 4 legged kraken across the stars, and I expect that will cause issues soon.

Well done so far! :golfclap:

Jobs are broken down into three categories, Ruler, Specialist, and Worker. Everyone wants to be a Ruler so those jobs fill up right quick. If you can't be in charge, might as well be middle class, so all your population will then fill in your Specialist jobs. Finally, if there's no other choice, the remaining pops will settle for being Workers. If a pop was a Ruler or a Specialist before now, say because you forced them to move to a place where there aren't any good jobs, the building they used to be working at got blown up by orbital bombardment, or whatever, then they will eventually get demoted to fill in lower class jobs, but they won't go quietly and it can take awhile for them to do so. That's how you can have as many jobs as pops but still get unemployment. The snobby fucks won't accept a Clerk job until their bank accounts run dry.

The goal is to make sure you have 1-3 more jobs than you do pops on your planet. Too many open jobs means you've overspent on Districts and Buildings and are bleeding your economy with maintenance for poo poo no one's using. Matching exactly pop to jobs seems great, but then you'll end up with some Unemployment when the next pop grows up, and fixing it will take most of a year since build times tend to be long until you get a bunch of techs and/or Architect Governors. Best to have the jobs waiting for 'em.

It can get more complicated than that, of course. Servile races can't be Specialists or Rulers, Basic Robots can only be Farmers or Miners, etc. Slavery is a whole complicated thing. But this covers the basics, anyway.

Homelessness means you don't have enough Housing for your people. Build more City Districts. These will also create Clerk jobs so keep an eye on your jobs count.

A snaky empire like yours will tend to bust your Admin Cap even faster than the sheer number of systems you own would indicate. You can lessen the damage this will do to you by increasing Admin Cap, and also by filling in your empire to make it more of a blob than a hydra. That said, these penalties are the same ones that were applied in the older versions of the game on wide empires...your tech research is slower, your unity awards are slower, your leaders cost more and have greater maintenance, etc. In the old game you just had to shrug and deal with it because the benefits of growth outweighed the penalties a large empire imposed. These days there are ways to lessen the impact but you should almost never slow down your growth because of Admin penalties. Okay maybe a dipshit 2 Energy system can be ignored, but mostly the game is as it ever was:

If you aren't growing, you're dying.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Is there some way to better manage robot assembly so you get a better mix of models, or any way to "refit" models at a more granular level than planet by planet? Basically, it would be great to "order" a certain number of bots to fill an anticipated number of jobs (ie. six mining bots, four farmer bots, etc). Right now I just slapped on some generic improvements (ie. reduced assembly time) and made "multi-bots". However, back when you'd build robot pops individually, I could at least tailor them to my world. Having to keep track of robot production on every planet with constantly growing pops is micro hell. I understand that I can "lock" production to certain models, but if I want to have a couple models, or like one "protocol droid" or whatever, it's so goddamn fiddly. And there's no way to "refit", which makes zero sense, since they're goddamn robots.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

I'm genuinely absolutely floored that anyone under 60 is talking about watching a show on live TV.
You know it's all there on Netflix right? Even in the US.

I just keep the TV on in the background while I get personal work done goddamnit

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I started up a new game as a democracy to try to get a feel for things since I haven't played a complete game since shortly after machines dropped. Things have been going pretty well, I had 3 good planets nearby and when I finally found another empire who wasn't a marauder I conquered them almost immediately after contact. They only had the 1 planet and access to an L-gate, a regular gate, and a wormhole, so it was an easy call. I noticed something odd after the war when I was trying to placate everyone on their former homeworld. They seemed to be a lot pissier than conquered pops usually get, at least as far as I remember, so I just distributed luxury goods, declared martial law, and hoped for the best. After a long long time, they were still hovering right around 30% happiness so I decided to take a closer look. As it turns out, the frog people on this continental world have a gaia world preference. :psyduck: So yeah, now I've got all those poor frog people hosed to the sky on space drugs 24/7 until I can g-mod them into being comfortable on their own planet.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Tried out the Star Trek mod for a few hours and it's interesting. First thing is the level of effort obviously involved is something else, there are even mirror universe version of the maps which automatically convert your empire to their mirror universe counterpart (e.g. Federation = Space Fash). The other is that the AI doesn't handle it well at all, especially ship design. Speaking of ship design there are some uh, questionable, components out there and ships balloon to being very expensive very quickly. Some components that you cant avoid having installed increase the cost of your ship in alloys by 20+% in exchange for stuff like 5-10% more hull points. It's a bit ridiculous and a huge trap if you just let your components default to the most up to date.

The game feels a lot slower and with more focus on each ship being a powerful unit in its own right but this could just be early game. Also the Klingon's are my friends - somehow. I didn't even try very hard to befriend them but as soon as I properly boosted StarFleet in strength to go punch the Romulans in the nose all my neighbors started brown nosing hard.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saros posted:

Also the Klingon's are my friends - somehow. I didn't even try very hard to befriend them but as soon as I properly boosted StarFleet in strength to go punch the Romulans in the nose all my neighbors started brown nosing hard.

Sounds about right, the Klingons hate the Romulans more than the Federation.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

jng2058 posted:

A snaky empire like yours will tend to bust your Admin Cap even faster than the sheer number of systems you own would indicate. You can lessen the damage this will do to you by increasing Admin Cap, and also by filling in your empire to make it more of a blob than a hydra. That said, these penalties are the same ones that were applied in the older versions of the game on wide empires...your tech research is slower, your unity awards are slower, your leaders cost more and have greater maintenance, etc. In the old game you just had to shrug and deal with it because the benefits of growth outweighed the penalties a large empire imposed. These days there are ways to lessen the impact but you should almost never slow down your growth because of Admin penalties. Okay maybe a dipshit 2 Energy system can be ignored, but mostly the game is as it ever was:

This post is spot on. One thing to flesh out just a tad more. Here he talks about busting admin cap extra fast, and is talking about empire cohesion. This you can look at by opening your main empire view. Essentially if it is below 100% you get a multiplier to your empire sprawl, which can be potentially bad. However, early on the penalties are likely to be quite small so you don't have to stress even if you manage to get below 100%. As he suggests, filling in your empire will increase cohesion. The other thing that greatly counters it is upgraded starbases, and with supremacy done it is pretty cheap to upgrade a few starbases for future use as border forts or anchorages.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

jng2058 posted:

Well done so far! :golfclap:

If you aren't growing, you're dying.

ZypherIM posted:

This post is spot on. One thing to flesh out just a tad more. Here he talks about busting admin cap extra fast, and is talking about empire cohesion. This you can look at by opening your main empire view. Essentially if it is below 100% you get a multiplier to your empire sprawl, which can be potentially bad. However, early on the penalties are likely to be quite small so you don't have to stress even if you manage to get below 100%. As he suggests, filling in your empire will increase cohesion. The other thing that greatly counters it is upgraded starbases, and with supremacy done it is pretty cheap to upgrade a few starbases for future use as border forts or anchorages.

Well that went splendidly :D Used the ten year truce to do infrastructure. My north / east / west gates got upgraded starbases, primarily anchorages, and I alternated using influence to fill in the gaps of the empire and building a new snake to the enemy homeworld. My fleet went on a ten year tour clearing out minor xeno ameobas who were blocking science ships, and I added ten more plasma corvettes and 6 new PD corvettes.

The three planets I had got a bunch of new districts. Homeworld got cities, other two got a mix of farms and generators. As I was filling in the gaps, I found two more green worlds, and those got a mix of generators as well. I also set up auto selling of minerals for energy, I was running low there for a while. Now I've got surplus of everything.

I did finally meet two more empires (north and east), and I moved my influence to their borders and dropped upgraded starbases on the border. Cohesion went from 75% to 95%. Meanwhile, my expanded fleet and 20 assault regiments went to the South, and declared war. Goal was a snake connecting me to enemy homeworld, and the two gates out of his homeworld. If I won, he was down to one planet with no exit.

Went through the enemy fleets like nothing, of course. They had only ten years to upgrade and rebuild, and I had a veteran force twice the size of the last invasion. My aggressive regiments actually conquered a planet on the way over, and then I landed on enemy homeworld and took that too. Took a few more months for the lesson to really set in, I had my fleets blowing up nearby mining stations, but eventually he surrendered. He wasn't even eligible for rival enemy more, so I told him he was a vassal. He said no, and was still under the new truce, but its the thought that counts.

Ive got construction fleets going south to put in mining stations, and science ships to go through the wreckage / investigate the black hole. Ive also started getting popups about the Veil and L-Gates, which sound promising, so that's going apace. Meanwhile, Im sending the fleet north. The empire up there is pathetic fleet strength, 3 planets, and I figure by the time my fleet gets up there, I will have claimed 5 systems and have them ready for the gutting. :black101:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Is it normal for rebels to just take over any trader enclave stations in their home system when they spawn?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
War is good for business

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's interesting how you can see an event 10 times and on the 11th time it does something totally different. That "42 year clock" event turned a barren world into a Gaia world in a system that already had two settled worlds in it, which was nice.

I also got a derelict cruiser event that gave me 35% of the progress towards Cruisers super early which was even better.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I love these event mods. Had a system with a broken down ringworld spontaneously turn into a fanatic purifier with 50k fleets and FE level buildings in 2270. Guess that’s a mid game crisis type.

Time to double down on alloys and get fighting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wish vanilla had more mixed results events. You have events with both good or bad results but I can't think of many with both good and bad aspects in the same result, excluding the more elaborate quest chains. Like there's the thing where you pay energy to try to terraform a planet, you always get a planet or no planet. You never get a planet because your scientist realised they'd miscalculated things slightly but it's OK because they made up the difference by abandoning ship and crashing all 200 alloys of it into a strategically important volcano.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
My biggest peeves event wise are stuff like the upgrades from the Robot FE, that either give you a super strong permanent bonus or temporary negative. Just give both. The difference between the two results is absurd. Just give the temporary malus first, to represent an adaptation period, then give the bonus.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Or the ‘choice’ between stuff like the space life studies. Crystals give you the option of the Crystal armor research option and some points in it, or 5% more energy generation in your whole empire for the rest of the game.

Other anomalies have similar things. One of the gas giant derelicts give you the choice of a free science ship or 10% sunlight speed for all your ships and fleets for the rest of the game. Just what?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cynic Jester posted:

My biggest peeves event wise are stuff like the upgrades from the Robot FE, that either give you a super strong permanent bonus or temporary negative. Just give both. The difference between the two results is absurd. Just give the temporary malus first, to represent an adaptation period, then give the bonus.
Exactly. If randomness is important there could be a list of bonuses and penalties and the game secretly rolls one of each. The player gets to make an actual decision with all the majorly important information (can I afford to take a major hit right now vs can I afford pissing off the robots and giving up the long term benefit) instead of flipping a winner take all coin.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hell yeah, won my first game of Stellaris. :toot:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

Or the ‘choice’ between stuff like the space life studies. Crystals give you the option of the Crystal armor research option and some points in it, or 5% more energy generation in your whole empire for the rest of the game.

Other anomalies have similar things. One of the gas giant derelicts give you the choice of a free science ship or 10% sunlight speed for all your ships and fleets for the rest of the game. Just what?

Yeah, there are a bunch of legacy events that have such choices baked into them. They should be choices between empire modifiers, rather than choices between empire modifiers and some other literally always less important thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Yeah, there are a bunch of legacy events that have such choices baked into them. They should be choices between empire modifiers, rather than choices between empire modifiers and some other literally always less important thing.
My favourite is the algae mats that you think is a choice between +energy and +shields, but is actually between +energy and a one time research boost toward the next shield tech :v:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Taear posted:

It's interesting how you can see an event 10 times and on the 11th time it does something totally different. That "42 year clock" event turned a barren world into a Gaia world in a system that already had two settled worlds in it, which was nice.

They updated it in 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 and added a few more options. Some of them can go very badly ...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Splicer posted:

I wish vanilla had more mixed results events. You have events with both good or bad results but I can't think of many with both good and bad aspects in the same result, excluding the more elaborate quest chains. Like there's the thing where you pay energy to try to terraform a planet, you always get a planet or no planet. You never get a planet because your scientist realised they'd miscalculated things slightly but it's OK because they made up the difference by abandoning ship and crashing all 200 alloys of it into a strategically important volcano.

That event specifically can not only terraform the planet but can also spawn a bunch of mutated horrors that murder your colonists

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QuarkJets posted:

That event specifically can not only terraform the planet but can also spawn a bunch of mutated horrors that murder your colonists
I'm talking about Grimacing, you're thinking of Abandoned Terraforming Equipment. It would be neat, if confusing, if Grimacing had a chance to be covered in monsters. Probably replacing the fail chance with spawning a terraforming candidate modifier would be better.

Abandoned Terraforming Equipment is also an odd one. Assuming it spawns on a 60% planet and you're a normal empire:

Good results:
Gaia planet (25%)
80% planet without the penalty from the equipment and all the tile blockers cleared (IIRC) (3%)
60% planet without the penalty from the equipment and all the tile blockers cleared (3%)

Bad results:
Tomb World (25%)

Mixed results:
80% planet without the penalty but covered in monsters (3%)
60% planet without the penalty but covered in monsters (3%)
20% planet without the penalty and all the tile blockers cleared (19%)
20% planet without the penalty but covered in monsters (19%)

So in theory it's 44% mixed results, but in reality the 20% climates are pretty bad at the time you get them, so it's more like 63% bad results, 31% good results, and 6% mixed results.

How 2 Fix:
1) Don't allow the Monster results to change the climate, just the Type. This turns 19% of the Bad results into Mixed results.
2) Add a unique positive modifier to all the non-monster terraforming results, so at least the 20% ones are better than a normal 20% planet.
3) Evacuate any doomed pops to random planets when the Tomb World kicks off. It's easier to replace planets than pops.

e: lol frantic edits I forgot they turned the toxic world into a tomb world in a recent patch
e2: add a monster tomb world because that would be hilarious

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Aethernet posted:

The biggest thing for me is that the scale of the non-empire modifiers are always so paltry. Like crystals is 5% energy modifier or 50% of crystal plating research. Well if you go kill them you're going to get some crystal plating already, so it is a question of 5% energy forever or a static amount of research. It still will take you a while to finish that research, and the immediate impact in fighting strength isn't huge. If it combined the "bonus for attacking/killing them" and "research options" and aimed at having the end cost after taking out a system of crystals to be ~tier 1 tech cost it might be decent.

I think breaking the choices down and giving each one some sort of empire modifier and some flat bonus is a lot better like you're saying. If the +5% energy also gave the energy reward on kill, but the +research also gave a discount on armor alloy costs, you'd have an interesting choice.