Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, I'm always impressed by how well-thought-out the opening to Aliens is, in the theatrical cut. it does some really cool poo poo with giving/withholding info to make the movie play completely differently based on whether you've seen Alien prior.

if you've seen Alien prior to seeing Aliens, you know Ripley's right, and you know exactly what the marines are getting into. it gives all the stuff where Ripley's trying to tell the Company what happened a real sense of dread; you know that the Marines are going in completely unprepared, and that you're about to witness basically a total loving meat grinder. it makes the driving question of the first act "how bad are these guys gonna get their asses handed to them?"

meanwhile, if you haven't seen Alien prior, all you know is that Ripley went through some serious poo poo. the chestburster is the only direct hint you get as to what, but it's so quick you can't really tell what's happening unless you already know. instead of dread, it gives the first act a sense of mystery; you know that Ripley's not outright lying, but you have no idea if the Marines are actually right that this is "just another bug hunt," or what exactly happened at LV-426.

also, Newt's introduction in the theatrical cut is legit loving awesome; the Marines are poking around trying to figure out what happened, and then they basically just find a random traumatized kid in a vent who somehow managed to survive. and then from there, it's just this bizarre descent into Hell as we figure out that poo poo is hosed.

the Newt bit in the Special Edition directly ruins both of these things, by explicitly showing what happened to the colony way too early, and by showing Newt way too early and revealing too much about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The extra scenes in terminator 2 are also interesting, they are fine scenes but totally unnecessary and when you cut something unnecessary you make the whole thing better.

Oh apart from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEpjgFZpAt0
of course which should have been in the goddam movie and I'm so mad at Cameron for cutting it

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

sebmojo posted:

The extra scenes in terminator 2 are also interesting, they are fine scenes but totally unnecessary and when you cut something unnecessary you make the whole thing better.

Oh apart from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEpjgFZpAt0
of course which should have been in the goddam movie and I'm so mad at Cameron for cutting it

The special edition of T2 is weird. It has extra violent bits like the orderlies beating the poo poo out of Sarah but strangely uses the TV edit version of the scene where Arnie and the T1000 meet for the first time, cutting out the random dude that gets between them that gets shot to poo poo by the T1000 (the guy that yells "Hey you're not supposed to be back here" to John)

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

hot take: the theatrical cut of Aliens is one of the best movies ever made, but the Special Edition basically turbofucks the movie's pacing and reduces it to mediocrity

like I don't hate Hudson's ultimate badass speech, or the sentry gun scene, but that whole bit with Newt's parents legit fucks up the structure of the movie really badly
Agreed. Theatrical cut + sentries is my perfect Aliens movie. It's super obvious that the long drawn out mining colony intro, the significantly extended scene of Ripley finding out about her daughter, even the ultimate badass speech scene just add nothing to the film. Hell even the long walk around the ship looking at lockers, etc before you see them wake up is unneeded.

Whoever thought the sentry guns scenes didn't add anything though is an idiot. At the very least it establishes that the xenomorphs have some level of intelligence, on top of being loving cool.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, I'm always impressed by how well-thought-out the opening to Aliens is, in the theatrical cut. it does some really cool poo poo with giving/withholding info to make the movie play completely differently based on whether you've seen Alien prior.

if you've seen Alien prior to seeing Aliens, you know Ripley's right, and you know exactly what the marines are getting into. it gives all the stuff where Ripley's trying to tell the Company what happened a real sense of dread; you know that the Marines are going in completely unprepared, and that you're about to witness basically a total loving meat grinder. it makes the driving question of the first act "how bad are these guys gonna get their asses handed to them?"

meanwhile, if you haven't seen Alien prior, all you know is that Ripley went through some serious poo poo. the chestburster is the only direct hint you get as to what, but it's so quick you can't really tell what's happening unless you already know. instead of dread, it gives the first act a sense of mystery; you know that Ripley's not outright lying, but you have no idea if the Marines are actually right that this is "just another bug hunt," or what exactly happened at LV-426.

also, Newt's introduction in the theatrical cut is legit loving awesome; the Marines are poking around trying to figure out what happened, and then they basically just find a random traumatized kid in a vent who somehow managed to survive. and then from there, it's just this bizarre descent into Hell as we figure out that poo poo is hosed.

the Newt bit in the Special Edition directly ruins both of these things, by explicitly showing what happened to the colony way too early, and by showing Newt way too early and revealing too much about her.
You're good people, friend.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 4, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Incidentally, Alien 3 is also structured like this. A mysterious woman shows up at a remote outpost and suddenly people start dying. She claims she didn’t do it but nobody trusts her until it’s too late. The idea is obviously that your read will be different if you somehow haven’t heard of Alien 1 or 2. But I guess they realized everyone had heard of them already, cause it blows this right open by showing the dog get facehugged at the start. There’s not any actual tension as to whether Ripley is on the level.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The worst part about 3 was unceremoniously killing off newt and Hicks. It was really unforgivable. Resurrection stinks because it has JOSS WHEDONS stink rubbed all over it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

The worst part about 3 was unceremoniously killing off newt and Hicks. It was really unforgivable. Resurrection stinks because it has JOSS WHEDONS stink rubbed all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vgl6eopOy8

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

3 is an okay sequel to Alien, but a terrible sequel to Aliens

Alien 4 has a great cast that it wastes on dreck. Like, how do you get Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott and Brad Dourif in the same movie and still have it suck rear end.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 4, 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Worth mention that the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 is actually a decent movie, and far better than Resurrection.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

skasion posted:

Alien 4 has a great cast that it wastes on dreck. Like, how do you get Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott and Brad Dourif in the same movie and still have it suck rear end.

Wrong director perhaps?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

etalian posted:

Wrong director perhaps?

Jeunet is a great director. Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Amelie are all awesome movies. You could argue that it’s a bit of a mismatch but like with Fincher on Alien 3, I think that the movie would be terrible without him in charge. Also he wanted to give the newborn horrifying inflamed hermaphroditic genitals, which sounds like a great idea by me (studio shot this down, alas). Unfortunately it’s kind of terrible even with him in charge. Whedon’s script is more at fault for me. It’s too Whedony. Some premises lend themselves naturally to twee meta comedy, Alien isn’t one. Alien and even more so Aliens are funny movies, but in a much less artificial way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

skasion posted:

Jeunet is a great director. Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Amelie are all awesome movies. You could argue that it’s a bit of a mismatch but like with Fincher on Alien 3, I think that the movie would be terrible without him in charge. Also he wanted to give the newborn horrifying inflamed hermaphroditic genitals, which sounds like a great idea by me (studio shot this down, alas). Unfortunately it’s kind of terrible even with him in charge. Whedon’s script is more at fault for me. It’s too Whedony. Some premises lend themselves naturally to twee meta comedy, Alien isn’t one. Alien and even more so Aliens are funny movies, but in a much less artificial way.

The basketball single take story did own.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I used to think the whole "xenos learn that their blood is corrosive and kill one of their own to escape" in Alien 4 was a cool premise but as time has gone on I've tended to think it's kinda dumb. Almost as dumb as a xeno tongue punching the hot steam button for revenge. Basically Alien 4 is a pile of poo poo from start to finish.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

At least basketball still exists in the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27DfmNbTPA

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
My local cinema is doing a 40th anniversary screening of Alien this Saturday which will be tight! And it's doing Aliens, I can't wait to see that on the big screen!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Worth mention that the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 is actually a decent movie, and far better than Resurrection.

This dude knows what's up. The extended and additional scenes really change the movie from blah to pretty good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BaconCopter posted:

This dude knows what's up. The extended and additional scenes really change the movie from blah to pretty good.

charles dance in space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvuTYmTivEg

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I saw Aliens on an IMAX screen a couple months ago and it was among the best times I've ever had in a movie theatre, up there with Borat on opening weekend. What really stood out more than anything was the sound, everything was so loud and booming and crisp, modern movies don't sound like that anymore and I didn't even know Aliens sounded this good because I've never heard it at a million DB. The opening when the metal door is cut off and falls to the ground was just metallic CHA-CHUNK that felt practically visceral. The dropship's whining engines were the first thing I've ever covered my ears for in a movie theatre. so good.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I scrolled up after making that post and thought you guys were saying the extended Aliens is better than Theatrical and I almost had an aneurysm

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I do like it better, I appreciate the argument for theatrical I just happen to disagree.

It does probably makes sense to see that one for the first time though.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The Walrus posted:

I scrolled up after making that post and thought you guys were saying the extended Aliens is better than Theatrical and I almost had an aneurysm

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The scenes added in the extended version are all good, it’s their effect on the pacing and structure of the movie that is bad

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I guess part of it is the original is so perfectly paced sacrificing that down to very good/excellent is worth the tradeoff for more scenes, for me.

As far as structure, I guess that just doesn't matter much to me beyond the first viewing.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 4, 2019

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
https://youtu.be/pcXjUUvDieo

This guy has like a thousand videos on alien(s), ive been watching for days

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
alien is about the relationship between Ripley and the monster and starting the movie with exposition about the alien instead of a study of ripley's trauma is enough to ruin the entire film imo.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

skasion posted:

The scenes added in the extended version are all good, it’s their effect on the pacing and structure of the movie that is bad
Good in what sense then? Cinematically?

I actually thought the Hadleys Hope scene looked weird, almost like it was done on a smaller budget compared to the rest of the film. It is tonally completely off too with the two guys walking down the corridor vomiting exposition at the camera. The acting in that whole scene from everyone involved is seriously poor. It doesn't ruin the film but it subtracts from it more than in just pacing and structure.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eh it's not up to snuff to the rest of the movie but I don't think it's that bad, I get a kick out of the general sense of tiredness and tedium dealing with all this bullshit is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That scene is hilarious

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drink-Mix Man posted:

When are they gonna finally throw down and adapt all that crazy aliens vs. Batman vs. Terminator vs. Robocop vs. Predator stuff from the 90's already?

DC is in the gutter for making poo poo movies
Aliens is in the gutter after like six poo poo movies

It is time to go full retard

There is nothing left to lose

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I guess part of it is the original is so perfectly paced sacrificing that down to very good/excellent is worth the tradeoff for more scenes, for me.

As far as structure, I guess that just doesn't matter much to me beyond the first viewing.

I think I’m of the mind that people should see the theatrical version on their first viewing and the special for the ones that follow.

BaconCopter posted:

Thing is it’s not really just extra or missing content being reinserted into the film like most special editions - it’s a complete reworking to the point both cannot be considered canon because they directly contradict each other. I remember reading the novelisation before I saw the film (the novel is basically the same as Assembly Cut) and being confused as gently caress as to why the xeno came out of a dog, and why Golic vanished out of existence.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sebmojo posted:

Don't be. From what I've heard he really, really wanted it and the studio outright veto'd it.

The same studio that told Cameron to gently caress off when he wanted a high budget to make a 3rd Terminator movie set in the future and then ran the franchise off a cliff. I so want to find a timeline where prime-era James Cameron made Terminator 3 and Fox was smart enough to give him a blank check. We'd probably been spared Avatar.

Durzel posted:

Good in what sense then? Cinematically?

I actually thought the Hadleys Hope scene looked weird, almost like it was done on a smaller budget compared to the rest of the film. It is tonally completely off too with the two guys walking down the corridor vomiting exposition at the camera. The acting in that whole scene from everyone involved is seriously poor. It doesn't ruin the film but it subtracts from it more than in just pacing and structure.

My one and only issue with Aliens Director's Cut is the Newt scene deflates some tension for someone who is a TRUE blind first time viewer. I'm glad I saw the DC later, not first. It's an odd one because that scene is very nice to have on a *second* viewing. But dropping the whole 'What is actually going on there' thing due to time was possibly the best cut made. I think Cameron's wife at the time is the one who suggested it to trim the time needed.

It leaves me in an odd place because if someone never has seen Aliens I always recommend they watch the Theatrical cut first, then the Director's Cut on a second watch because it adds tons of fun stuff - purely because of that single scene. Which is odd because again, it's a good scene that's very well done.

ED: Seriously the Director's Cut is loaded with gold. Every Aliens game ever has used that auto turret scene. But you're entirely right that scene kneecaps the pacing.

ED: Am I the only one who thinks Cameron did his best work while married to and working with Gale Anne Hurd? I'm actually sad they broke up, I felt like she kept him in check and focused and neither ever were quite as good on their own.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 4, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skasion posted:

I don't mind whefon but this is a good take, the tone just didn't work

Also I saw it with my brother who was super drunk and at the point where acid bile was being vomited over something I looked over and he'd thrown up hugely on the carpet, we jumped on our bikes and pedaled away after the movie as the theatre guy yelled at us sorry theatre guy :(

Blazing Ownager posted:

Don't be. From what I've heard he really, really wanted it and the studio outright veto'd it.

That's good because it's completely dumb and ridiculous lol

Ee: 21st century hyper-jorts

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 4, 2019

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Saw some mention of the newer AVP game, but I'd recommend AVP2 (2001) to anyone who enjoys LAN FPS games. The single player campaign is fun, but team deathmatch was incredible.

Aliens had to complete their life cycle and learning to get accustomed to hitting the transition between floors/walls/ceilings while not getting turned around was fun. They could be predaliens too.

Predators played strangely but were such a wrecking force when someone got good. Their homing missile and that sweet blade thing were awesome as hell. It's like their loadouts were all the fun guns from Turok or something.

Marines were perhaps a bit bland, but the smart gun was gratifying. Teamwork and careful planning were the only way they managed. I think there were several classes the people team so you could make an android team too.

Anyway, it was an incredible game that I'm sorry everyone missed out on.

RossMan4Life fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 4, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah AvP2 mutliplayer was excellent. I loved being an alien and scaring the living poo poo out of people. They had teams locked with certain numbers of units. Like the predators could only have 2 or something. Aliens 4 and marines 300.

skasion posted:

The dialog was embarrassingly bad.

When the guy in the wheelchair pops up after they thought he was dead he actually says, "Who were you expecting? Santa Claus?!"

I just watched it about a week ago and I was cringing so bad. Terrible one liners. They seem so forced and even like Sigourney Weaver was actively not trying to say them but had to or her family would be killed.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I do like it better, I appreciate the argument for theatrical I just happen to disagree.

It does probably makes sense to see that one for the first time though.

My thoughts exactly. First time? Watch the theatrical. Want to just see more movie and a few neat things? Special Edition.

I don't have strong opinions regarding this issue cinematically. I've seen it hundreds of times so I enjoy the extra scenes. I don't care if it throws off the pacing because I've seen it all before. Only for NEW people would I even give two shits.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 4, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Thing is it’s not really just extra or missing content being reinserted into the film like most special editions - it’s a complete reworking to the point both cannot be considered canon because they directly contradict each other. I remember reading the novelisation before I saw the film (the novel is basically the same as Assembly Cut) and being confused as gently caress as to why the xeno came out of a dog, and why Golic vanished out of existence.

I went from meh, I don't ever have to watch Alien 3 again to, ok this is a genuinely good movie. I don't remember what scenes were deleted but I'm pretty sure in the theaters the alien came out of a bull and not a dog. Completely changing what it should have been.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Other way. The ox is in the assembly cut, it’s the dog in the original.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

DC is in the gutter for making poo poo movies
Aliens is in the gutter after like six poo poo movies

It is time to go full retard

There is nothing left to lose

Eh, the first one is ok. Let's go for the second one, where a secret organisation has been using genetic samples from Arkham inmates to create hybrids between the xenomorphs and Batman's rogue's gallery.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skasion posted:

Other way. The ox is in the assembly cut, it’s the dog in the original.

Ah right that's the one. The dog testing stuff was hilarious. It did not work out so well.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

RossMan4Life posted:

Anyway, it was an incredible game that I'm sorry everyone missed out on.

I dunno dude, I seem to remember that both AvP Gold and AvP2 were very popular in their heyday, everyone who could run it was playing it at my school at least. Unfortunately it’s stuck in the same licensing hell that NOLF is so we won’t see a rerelease anytime soon.

One that did seem to get massively overlooked is Alien Resurrection for the PS1. It was terrifying, bastard hard and also was one of if not the first game to use the dual analogue control method all console FPS games have used for over 18 years now.

It also had a neat mechanic where upon being facehugged, you’d pass out for a bit then awaken with a timer running. If you was able to use a special device to remove the parasite (the game supplied them fairly and you could store them in your inventory), you got a neat video of it vaporising the chestburster and all was well.

If not, you got to experience your character writhing in agony before your chest explodes and it’s game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

The same studio that told Cameron to gently caress off when he wanted a high budget to make a 3rd Terminator movie set in the future and then ran the franchise off a cliff. I so want to find a timeline where prime-era James Cameron made Terminator 3 and Fox was smart enough to give him a blank check. We'd probably been spared Avatar.

this is a crime against humanity