Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

1redflag posted:

Your first two junctions are on your computer in the starting classroom.

Learn how the draw/junction system work; they are somewhat confusing but necessary to succeed.

Always try to draw from every enemy , particularly bosses and mini bosses. Be sure to draw from the robot mini boss that keeps coming g back in the beginning of the game; he has a healer junction you can draw that makes hidden save points appear.

The first junction you get, Quetzacotyl, has an ability called “card”; if you want to play a low level game (very fun and unique to FF8) or get super OP, the card functon is critical

Quetzacotyl is a GF (Guardian Force), a summon. Junctions are linking magic to your stats and such, you do that through the GFs. It's sorta confusing at first but I think there's a decent tutorial about it in game, I think, it's been like...20 years? is that right...gently caress.

1redflag posted:

E. Also, if you like triple triad but want to keep it relatively simple, just keep saying “no” when asked to play with “new” rules; eventually, after enough “no’s” the other person will simply acquiesce and play by your rule set.

..........gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

1redflag posted:

Always try to draw from every enemy , particularly bosses and mini bosses. Be sure to draw from the robot mini boss that keeps coming g back in the beginning of the game; he has a healer junction you can draw that makes hidden save points appear.

(snip)

At one point you’ll find a lamp that will get added as an inventory item. be ready to face a big boss enemy before you use the lamp (but be sure to use the lamp earlyish in the game).

1st paragraph correction: The junction in question is actually on the winged monstrosity boss before the robot shows up.

2nd paragraph addition: You should have access to Blind fairly easily at this point, which pretty much neutralizes that boss.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Also you probably already know this but since the bosses scale to your level you can get some weird difficult/easy stuff depending on how you play.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Also for FFVIII, nothing is immune to the Meltdown status effect, not even the final boss or any of the bonus bosses.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thank you for the tips. I never beat it back when it came out because I misunderstood the mechanics and didn't know about the level scaling so around the end of the game I used a gameshark code to raise my levels to 99...not knowing that is a bad thing to do. Couldn't beat the final boss due to that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's very bad. They did a good job of building suspense in terms of the plot but the gameplay is absolute garbage and the ending is faux-highbrow poo poo.
Sad but true. Yeah, that game is real trash. The first episode starts out in a way that doesn't make it look too bad, but it's downhill all the way from there.

quote:

Is there a decent LP of Bendy and the Ink Machine anywhere? I like the look but I don't think I could stomach actually playing the game.
MrKravin did one that I remember as being decent. It's on Youtube, easy to find.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Rirse posted:

I know the page will have info on it, but what are some good advice for Final Fantasy VIII to have a normal playthrough without just turning a bunch of tents into curaga for 9999 HP or something.
But that is a normal playthrough of FF8 :confused:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

Also you probably already know this but since the bosses scale to your level you can get some weird difficult/easy stuff depending on how you play.

Yeah, this can be super-duper important. My first playthrough I didn't understand the junction/level scaling stuff, so I played it like a normal FF by grinding all the time and never drawing from bosses. I hit a point around the 75% mark where it was so difficult (and my party was so poorly-built) that I just threw my hands up and restarted, because replaying 40 hours was more fun than trying to figure out how to progress.

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't know if this is objectively good advice, but two things help me absolutely thrash the tougher fights:

Zell's limit break is amazing- it's probably the best single-target attack in the game.

Junction Rinoa so she only has Meteor, then trigger Angel Wing, then watch with glee as she spams meteor over and over and over again.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 5, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That's disappointing about Bendy and the Ink Machine. It looked pretty neat.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Zell's limit break is amazing- it's probably the best single-target attack in the game.

It's been a minute since I played it last, but isn't this because it's essentially infinite damage if it's done right?

But yeah Zell and Squall will do stupid damage once they get their complete set of / last limits respectively. Squall at the highest risk level renzokuken and his last finisher is somewhere around 150000 damage or somesuch if every hit is for 9999. It's dumb and rules.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Foxhound posted:

It's been a minute since I played it last, but isn't this because it's essentially infinite damage if it's done right?

But yeah Zell and Squall will do stupid damage once they get their complete set of / last limits respectively. Squall at the highest risk level renzokuken and his last finisher is somewhere around 150000 damage or somesuch if every hit is for 9999. It's dumb and rules.

Yeah, I completely forget what the optimal way to use Zell's limit break is, I think there are two specific combos that you can spam back to back and cram in like 20-30 attacks/gauge? But even if you never go deeper than "Junction things to his physical damage, limit break all day," he'll still tear through freakin' everything. I think by the end of the game, mine was consistently managing 100k+/break.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Pretty sure it was Punch Rush and Booya that you could chain, they're both very fast two-button moves and always follow each other.

Anyway, most of the basic advice mentioned here was already on the wiki page, I remember specifically leaving stuff relating to an "ordinary playthrough" in there when cleaning up that particular mess. Quetzacotl and Shiva being on your computer in the starting classroom and Meltdown being helpful if you're having trouble with bosses late in the game seem worth adding though.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Resident Evil 2 Remake

-The map is your best friend. Check every door to make backtracking easy.

-Keeping a cheat sheet is recommended, since some combinations/instructions are not stored in the files you always carry around. This is especially helpful for subsequent playthroughs since the answers still work without finding the clues.

-You can and should examine the items in your inventory. Sometimes the object name changes, making it easier use or identify. For example to open a box, you'll have to spin it around and find the interact command.

-When plot items have been used everywhere possible, they will display a check mark in the bottom part of their icon. There is no record/achievement for keeping all the items, so feel free to discard it once it's used.

-The boards you find will permanently stop zombies from coming through a window. They are only for the first floor windows of the police station, so put them away if you're going to the second or third.

-While some items stack or can be combined, there are limits for each one. Almost all typewriters are next to storage boxes, so clear up some inventory space for new things. Try one healing item, one or two guns, and maybe a knife, but even that's a lot early on.

-Knives degrade slowly when you land attacks. Knives have a durability bar in your inventory menu, a durability icon when in use, and make a sound to let you know when they break.

-Knives can be used to test if a corpse on the ground is still alive. Aim at their legs when you poke them, since they can grab and bite you directly from the floor.

-Secondary weapons (Grenades, Flash bangs, and Knives) can save you from a grab attack, unless you're grabbed from behind. Make sure to equip the one you want if you expect to get grabbed.

-After knives are used in defense, they can be retrieved after taking down that zombie. Knife durability will be reduced by 1/3 each time you use it to escape. Also, zombies can potentially wake up even after retrieving the knife.

-Stunning zombies to get by is often more important than killing them. Headshots work well on Standard difficulty, but shooting kneecaps to trip them is recommended for Hardcore.

-Sometimes a zombie's head will explode, which means you landed a critical hit. These are rare for pistols and submachine guns, but common for certain high powered weapons and ammo.

-Zombies can open (unlocked) doors after banging on them a couple times, with save rooms being the main exception.

-Generally speaking, Leon has an easier time dealing with zombies, and Claire has an easier time with bosses.

-Certain records/achievements require you to play the game multiple times with both characters, so don't expect to find everything the first time.

-Mr Raccoon statues can only be shot once and will never return. While the toy's red base remains in game, it's a good idea to jot down the room's name so you can focus on the rest.

-Once a licker screams/attacks, either bolt for the nearest door or kill them. Weapons with stopping power are recommended.

-If a dude in a hat and trench coat shows up, save your ammo and run. I hear he's slightly faster on Hardcore.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Speaking of Resident Evil, I brought up RE4 a month ago and totally didn’t comment on the responses :shobon:

Kanfy posted:

I cleaned it up a bit already, someone more well-versed in RE4 can continue from there if needed since I'm not 100% on the relevance of some stuff.

The changes were great. I would also remove the tip about giants near lava (really obvious) and freeing the dog from the trap (happens in the first 10 minutes of the game, no way of missing it and if you somehow ignored that poor dog you deserve to not benefit from it).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mierenneuker posted:

The changes were great. I would also remove the tip about giants near lava (really obvious) and freeing the dog from the trap (happens in the first 10 minutes of the game, no way of missing it and if you somehow ignored that poor dog you deserve to not benefit from it).

Done, thanks for pointing 'em out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Far Cry 5:

-Put it on Easy until you get past the intro and are given control. Dying during the intro totally kills momentum and its silly that you can die at all.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any advice for starting out in Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, like in particular how to get over the extreme jump in difficulty after the first few missions, where I've got 3 team members trying to take down big groups of enemies who are all higher level than me? I love the look and mechanics of the game for the most part, but man does it suddenly get really hard after about an hour into the game.

Maybe I'm supposed to be doing something with stealth and ambush to pick enemies off, but damned if I can tell how to do that when the enemies are all in a big group, all with much higher hit points than I can reliably take out even if all 3 of my team land shots.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any advice for starting out in Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, like in particular how to get over the extreme jump in difficulty after the first few missions, where I've got 3 team members trying to take down big groups of enemies who are all higher level than me? I love the look and mechanics of the game for the most part, but man does it suddenly get really hard after about an hour into the game.

Maybe I'm supposed to be doing something with stealth and ambush to pick enemies off, but damned if I can tell how to do that when the enemies are all in a big group, all with much higher hit points than I can reliably take out even if all 3 of my team land shots.

This is working for me at the moment (party level 30, on normal difficulty), but yeah, ambushing single enemies is the way to go. And Bormin's hog rush incapacitates most enemies and very importantly is also silent, giving you like two extra turns to kill them before they can call for help. Also it's kind of easier to kill someone without anyone else noticing, the trick that works for me is that if a unit is outside the other enemies' perception circles when you ambush, as long as they stay outside that range you can blast them with silent weapons.

But basically you really want the mutations that impair the enemy, whether the hog rush's full incap or Dux's immobilizers, or some neat stuff future mutants can get.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is working for me at the moment (party level 30, on normal difficulty), but yeah, ambushing single enemies is the way to go. And Bormin's hog rush incapacitates most enemies and very importantly is also silent, giving you like two extra turns to kill them before they can call for help. Also it's kind of easier to kill someone without anyone else noticing, the trick that works for me is that if a unit is outside the other enemies' perception circles when you ambush, as long as they stay outside that range you can blast them with silent weapons.

But basically you really want the mutations that impair the enemy, whether the hog rush's full incap or Dux's immobilizers, or some neat stuff future mutants can get.

Thanks for this.

So what exactly does "ambush" do? Maybe I missed some tooltips explaining it, but is it just a mechanism for starting combat? Does it let me keep fighting enemies without them getting turns?

And should I plan on using just silent weapons early on? Like save up to buy pistols and silencers?

One fight that's giving me trouble right now (and this is embarrassingly early in the game) is around a crashed helicopter where a fire enemy, a few other humans and a couple dogs are all in a big group (plus a med bot lurks near them). I took out the patrolling enemies but can't figure out how to lure enemies away from where they're gathered so that I can avoid getting fire bombed, mauled by dogs, and shot all at the same time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think I managed to take out the dogs by themselves. And to be honest IIRC I also had some trouble in that one area, had to throw a whole bunch of grenades to get on top of that fight, though I understood the mechanics way less at the time.

As for ambushing, that means you start the fight on your terms. If your characters are hidden (you should always have them all hidden) then the enemy doesn't spot you and you also get a bonus to critical chance. If you use a silent weapon/attack while hidden then only the enemy you targeted will spot you, so if you kill them on the same round (or incapacitate them in some way) then other enemies won't even know there's a fight going on as long as you're all far away enough.

Also, just to be sure, you read the tooltip about turning off your flashlight to sneak around enemies better, right?

e: basically, you should never be going for a frontal assault. As is I've managed to kill a bunch of enemies with skulls using some underhanded techniques, though of course this is on Normal

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 6, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I need to correct myself on my above posts on Mutant Year Zero. Hog Rush does make some sound apparently? It's obviously not as loud as regular gunshots say, but in one situation someone did hear it when I Hog Rushed someone else a bit out of their perception zone. Might have been because they were on a roof, even though they didn't have line of sight and again "should" have been too far away to hear it based on how it worked for me otherwise.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks for the clarification. Time to put all this into practice tonight. I'm thinking I also need to find some other fights and stop throwing myself against these helicopter crash site with my low level team of three that has, I think, two silent weapons between them. And maybe I need to grind up some more levels.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There are only 3 stealthed weapons in the game (though I believe you can obtain at least 2 of one) and they're all pretty identical aside from ammo (1 for the crossbow, 2 for the pistols) and range (crossbow has more range).

Use your early weapon parts on upgrading them as you'll be using them throughout the game. Lvl 3 upgrades + the relic reward of +1 damage gives you 3x7 damage stealth shots that can be further enhanced with things like 'double crit from cover', or 'two shots for -25% accuracy (fire from above to still have 100%) and so on. Also louder weapons can still be quiet enough from longer away. I've used a sniper rifle near its max range to finish off someone that was just a little too strong for the three stealth shots.

Another tip:

You can use cannibalize to conserve medkits without actually really being in a fight. Do an ambush start and cannibalize a dead body elsewhere on the map before ending the combat. If you're playing on Hard you'll have to worry about the skill cooldown of course, but that's what your next fight is for with better/full health.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Far Cry 5:

-Put it on Easy until you get past the intro and are given control. Dying during the intro totally kills momentum and its silly that you can die at all.
This sounds like it shouldn't be a hint for any game at all, but yeah, you really ought to take that advice. FC5 has a godawful plot that you are best off ignoring wherever you can. If setting your game to easy during the plot segments aids this, then do it. You will be thankful for it six hours from now, believe us.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Anything worth knowing going into Death Mark?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This might be too obscure for a starting guide, but is there a rule of thumb for herb usage in the Resident Evil 2 Remake? I vaguely remember healing in RE games being super-duper complicated (I think it was never use a green herb without combining it, never heal when yellow?), but for the life of me I can't remember how it worked.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

This might be too obscure for a starting guide, but is there a rule of thumb for herb usage in the Resident Evil 2 Remake? I vaguely remember healing in RE games being super-duper complicated (I think it was never use a green herb without combining it, never heal when yellow?), but for the life of me I can't remember how it worked.

In the remake a green will heal you some, a red+green will heal you all, a red does nothing on its own, a blue will heal you of poison and a red+blue will give you a huge defense boost. If you mix them all together in red+green+blue you get all the benefits, a full heal that removes poison and reduces damage for a while. A health spray is just a full heal, no other benefits.

In terms of game layout which is the more critical bit only one enemy in the second area of the game (the sewers) can actually poison you and its a grab attack. In terms of herb distribution there are slightly more green herbs than red and blues but typically a red and green are usually close to each other. For a first playthrough theres no harm banking herbs like reds or blues or even excess greens you find in item boxes to mix later so you dont clog your inventory. Try to avoid ever using a green by itself since the amount it heals versus a red+green is too small to be worth it unless its an emergency.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Omi no Kami posted:

Green herbs heal a little bit, not really worth using unless you're in dire straits.
Red herbs on their own do nothing, but red+green is a full heal. To my knowledge, you'll never get killed from anything except critical health, so use these only when at that point.
Blue herbs heal poison on their own, so I guess could be used for that (though I can think of just one enemy in the game that actually poisons you). Better is combining them with a green herb, or a green+red mix, as they give you damage resistance (when mixed with red in any combination, actually). These are best used before or during a boss, I find, or at least a tough battle.

Edit: welp, beaten

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That's way more straightforward than brain remembered it, thanks guys!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Also, there are plenty of them, especially if you add in health sprays. If you play even a little bit carefully and keep your distance from normal zombies, you will basically never run out of healing. My rule of thumb is to carry one stack of defense weapons and one full heal item. You're basically never farther away from an item box than that.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
A few more notes on mutant year zero:

The fight that was being described earlier near the downed helicopter: the 3rd silenced weapon is in a chest after you clear the fight

Furthermore, you should be able to pick off the med bot silently before taking on the main group, but you will need to use boarmin's hog rush

You should also have access to Selma's tree hugger ability, which works well against the cluster of enemies in the fight. The dogs are melee only so it especially screws them

In general, dont be afraid of exploring a little. There are a few side missions and areas you can clear out that aren't part of the main plot, and you can get good gear from them. The game is pretty good about telling you when you're too low a level for an area.

Having said that, sometimes it pays even to explore areas that exceed your level. you can get a pretty useful helmet early on by skulking around the edges of a high level area, avoiding combat. The helmet protects against being mind controlled and electrical damage, pretty drat useful against a certain type of enemy, and you can acquire it before running into that enemy type if you explore a little

If you're picking off a single guy, I dont even bother to hide. You can usually charge in, kill him with silenced weapons, and be done with it. Only real reason to hide in those cases is if you're trying to get a bonus to your crit chance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

A few more notes on mutant year zero:
Can you give me a quick summary on what that game is like? I was given a key as a gift, but I haven't really decided if I want to try it. From what I've read on the Steam page, it sounded kind of structurally similar to X-COM, which I didn't enjoy all that much. You make it sound almost more like an open world game, though?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The combat is similar to xcom, with an emphasis on stealth. There is a main home base type place where you can buy upgrades, but you dont do any base building stuff like in xcom.

Theres a main story with objective markers. You walk your guys around each map following the story progression, when you come across enemies you try to pick one off at a time silently until you've gotten all the stragglers, then you engage the main group. You have up to 3 characters in your squad at a time (5 characters total) and you can split them up, so you can like have the guy with the sniper rifle go up a ladder and hide there while the frontline dude circles around and gets close. Then you trigger combat and it plays similar to xcom.

Outside of combat, you're scrounging for loot (scrap metal is the main currency) and walking towards the objective, but like I mentioned above, you can go off and explore a bit too. There are a few areas on the map that you dont need to go to in order to finish the game, but have minor little side quests you can complete. The game has fast travel so you can pretty easily jump back to home base and upgrade your weapons or buy more first aid or whatever.

Heres some more stuff I wrote about the game in the strategy game thread:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Welp Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is on sale on the playstation store, so I went ahead and picked it up. It's one if those games where I have a list of complaints but it's all coming from a desire to see a good game be even better. I'm totally head over heels for the core gameplay.

It's a stealth xcom, basically. You skulk around a map, picking off lone enemies so when you have to fight a group of them it's more manageable. The sneaking mechanic is adequate, you basically need to stay out of an enemy's circle of perception until its time to kick their rear end. You play as a group of mutants like a pig man (named Boarmin) or a duck man (named Dux). Despite that, the game maintains a very good atmosphere of a post apocalyptic world where nature is reclaiming the planet. The soundtrack has a sort of 80s synth vibe, which goes a long way towards establishing the atmosphere.

As mutants, you gain access to skills you purchase through skill points. The skills are adequate, but I would've liked to see more variety in them. Several mutants share a few of the same skills which was a bit if a let down; for example two characters have the same run n gun move which I find a little boring, but whatever. I think the game would've benefitted from more diverse skills.

Managing the skills is a bit if a bother as well. Basically, your team of three often needs to take down a guy within one round of play or he'll yell for his buddies, and depending on the map, that can make things really ugly. Remember, you're trying to pick one enemy off at a time so you dont have to fight a whole mess of them at once. Often, however, your team doesn't have the firepower to kill a guy in one round, so you have to use a skill. That's certainly all fine and well, but then the skill goes on cooldown and you need a certain number of kills to get it back. For example, Boarmin has a skill where he charges an enemy and knocks him down for a round, giving you extra time to kill him. But that skill requires 3 kills to recharge. So now you've picked off one guy out if maybe 3 or 4, but your skill is down so you go into the menu and equip a different one. It gets tedious to manage this. Furthermore, depending on the skill, sometimes it misses, leaving you twisting in the wind.

Managing weapons and armor is similarly tedious, as when you want to swap out team members, you often have to trade guns or armor around. You only have 3-4 silent weapons, so swapping team members means you're probably going to have to swap guns as well.

The game is hard, which I welcome, but it's missing some QOL features that would really streamline the gameplay. You dont have a way to inspect enemies, so it can be hard to adequately plan your assault. Fortunately(?) there aren't a huge number of enemy types, so you can eventually learn. You dont, as far as I can tell, have a way of knowing if you're close enough to an enemy for your unsilenced weapon to alert them, so that can be trial and error.

Despite all the whining I've been doing, I assure you I think the game itself is fascinating and a lot of fun. Sneaking around, picking off straggler enemies is classic stealth game stuff, and mixing it with xcom styke combat is super compelling. I love having the ability to split up my guys; going through the options like "hmm if I put Dux up this ladder with his crossbow, I could then have Boarmin sneak around this way and be in position to flank" makes for some great strategy. Teammates have the option of joining in the ambushes each round or staying hidden until the time is right. You're planning ambushes for 99% of the fights.

Well that was way more than I intended to write about this game. TLDR is, the gameplay is great, I totally recommend if stealth xcom sounds interesting, but the game's missing some notable QOL. And yeah, the developers are swedish, not having the language option is pretty weird.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That sounds pretty alright and more like Jagged Alliance than X-COM in practical terms, which I enjoyed a lot more despite being basically the same in a lot of ways. Thank you. I think I'll give it a shot.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
To keep the Mutant Year Zero questions going -- I'm still tackling these two early encounters where it seems very difficult for my team of three even to take down one of these enemies with a lot of HP before they call reinforcement (goddamn Shaman with their horns -- if I could do one more point of damage the dude would go down).

Anyway, I was hoping to be able to grind up against some other enemies somewhere in order to level up a little, maybe earn some more scrap and buy some more medpacks. But so far as I can tell, there are no random encounters, are there? That is, there's no point in going back to maps I've cleared because I'm never going encounter other enemies there? Meaning there's a finite amount of EXP available in the game, and no way to grind up. Is that right?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yes, that is my understanding of the game. I never found a way to grind.

And yeah those shaman mother fuckers are the worst. Boarmin's hog rush is your best bet, and make sure all members have a silent weapon so they can help take out a single guy. Another thing to consider is, if you know you cant kill a guy in time to prevent him from calling out, well then theres no reason not to go loud from the get go with your more powerful weapons. In either case his buddies get alerted, but you might be able to at least take him down before they react.

Edit: and yeah I know the pain of needing just one more point of damage. Be sure to mod your weapons...you should have a mod that gives you a 50% chance to ignite an enemy. That would give you the one more damage you need. Another option is to try and maximize your chance to crit, through armor, skills, and attacking from hidden cover. Finally, upgrade your weapons using gun parts as soon a you can, especially your silenced weapons. Each upgrade gives you +1 damage.

Can I guess, is one of the fights you're struggling with at Hammon's cabin?

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 10, 2019

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yes, that is my understanding of the game. I never found a way to grind.

And yeah those shaman mother fuckers are the worst. Boarmin's hog rush is your best bet, and make sure all members have a silent weapon so they can help take out a single guy. Another thing to consider is, if you know you cant kill a guy in time to prevent him from calling out, well then theres no reason not to go loud from the get go with your more powerful weapons. In either case his buddies get alerted, but you might be able to at least take him down before they react.

Edit: and yeah I know the pain of needing just one more point of damage. Be sure to mod your weapons...you should have a mod that gives you a 50% chance to ignite an enemy. That would give you the one more damage you need. Another option is to try and maximize your chance to crit, through armor, skills, and attacking from hidden cover. Finally, upgrade your weapons using gun parts as soon a you can, especially your silenced weapons. Each upgrade gives you +1 damage.

Can I guess, is one of the fights you're struggling with at Hammon's cabin?

I got past the cabin without too much trouble, and I just finished up the fight after you pick up the third stalker, the one where the Shaman at the beginning was giving me so much trouble. I ended up buying the sniper rifle so that Dux could do 1 more point of damage, which was what I needed to kill the shaman in one turn. After that it basically went okay, except for a misstep where I realized the loving med bots could rez enemies in two turns, and the drat shaman came back.

So now I'm moving on to whatever is after that, but it was the Fallen Angel fight (around the helicopter) that was really giving me fits, because there's a pack of enemies (including a guy who throws fire grenades) plus a med bot, and if I can't grind up levels and gear, then I guess I'm largely stuck with what I have.

Like I still need to level another 2 times before I have enough points for Gormin's rush ability (maybe I spent too much into HP early on). I'm assuming that you can't respec in this game.

I really like the look and feel of the game, but the difficulty level, on normal, is not a ton of fun at the moment.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ah, the cabin fight was a real fucker for me, glad you got through it without too much trouble.

In a pinch you can destroy unused weapons for some gun parts, which you can turn around and use to upgrade your good weapons. No way to respec, unfortunately.

I think you're on the cusp of the game opening up for you...if you can hold out for hog rush, you'll have some more options moving forward.

There is a finite amount of xp in the game, but sometimes you can wander off to a zone you're not meant to be at yet, or a straight up optional one, and get a few kills to eke out a level or two. So don't be afraid to explore a bit and see what you can find.

Somewhat on that note, your skill cooldown is set to a number of kills. Sometimes you need to plan that out so you have enough straggler kills to recharge an important skill in time for a big fight...I have gone to other zones and gotten a kill or two for that purpose. Also...I think a stalker needs to be in your party in order for a kill to go towards the cooldown. I'm not 100% sure on that one

The store at the ark gets new wares from time to time. I think its linked to your level, every 10 levels it seems to trigger new items in the store. Anyway, there is a type of armor that protects against fire damage. You can find it on a chest somewhere in the game (I forget where), but it also shows up in the shop at some point. Wearing it makes the firebomb guys completely harmless.

Another thing, you can interrupt a med bot by shooting it with a weapon that causes knockback, like the Gaper. Eventually you'll get some skills to deal with robots a little more reliably.

I hope you stick with it...like I said, I think you're close to it becoming a bit more manageable.

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 10, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oftentimes with the enemies that specifically call others they set up the maps so that you can either catch them alone and far enough away from others that you can go loud, or you can kill off most of the others on the map and go loud with the Shaman.

Oh yeah, an addendum to my earlier comment about weapon upgrades:

The cost to upgrade tiers is the same for every weapon and the effects are the same: +1 Damage. The only way to improve the bonus crit damage is with those attachments that add in bonus crit damage and certain effects.

At least two characters get a "Double Crit Chance when concealed" passive which, combined with the +crit scope, gives them 100% crit chance. On a stealthed weapon that's pretty much a guaranteed +2/+3 extra damage per hit.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks for all the advice on Mutant Year Zero -- much appreciated. Definitely feels like it's opening up a bit -- I just need to get that second silenced pistol now.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 11, 2019