Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At that price is he just replacing that clutch pack, or doing a full on rebuild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sounds like the caddy has entered the realm of 'will run poorly longer than other cars will run at all'

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BloodBag posted:

Sounds like the caddy has entered the realm of 'will run poorly longer than other cars will run at all'

Fully realizing it's GM-ness.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

At that price is he just replacing that clutch pack, or doing a full on rebuild?

Full rebuild, new pump, upgraded... parts... he didn't specify, but he said there were some updated parts that he uses that have been more reliable since they've been updated. He seems like one of the old-school guys and I'm crossing my fingers.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If that quote was just a grand more it'd be worth looking at NV3500 or 4500 swaps. So close, yet so far.
E: but the shifter means you gotta run the Silverado console, which functionally is no different but kind of ruins the dash look on those.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I had an old 4l60 rebuilt about 6 years ago for $1,400 and that was with me doing the remove/install myself and just bringing them the bare trans. Figure $600 for removal and installation and that price sounds good.

That was on a different vehicle but on my current ‘03 suburban I’ve got the 2-3 surge and it’s been there for 2 years/50,000 miles and it hasn’t got any worse. It happens when the trans is cold or when I’m giving it the beans. I’m going to just live with it because I’m not getting the trans rebuilt on a truck that’s barely worth the cost of the rebuild.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Modus Man posted:

I had an old 4l60 rebuilt about 6 years ago for $1,400 and that was with me doing the remove/install myself and just bringing them the bare trans. Figure $600 for removal and installation and that price sounds good.

That was on a different vehicle but on my current ‘03 suburban I’ve got the 2-3 surge and it’s been there for 2 years/50,000 miles and it hasn’t got any worse. It happens when the trans is cold or when I’m giving it the beans. I’m going to just live with it because I’m not getting the trans rebuilt on a truck that’s barely worth the cost of the rebuild.

It just started the surging, but I'm feeling/seeing other things. The 1-2 shift is longer, I saw almost 200* on the transmission fluid temperature today with a 10* ambient, plus I smelled some burning. She's not happy and not going to last.

Even the transmission guy commented on how clean it is, so the truck is worth throwing a few dollars into it, I just hate transmission stuff, because it's one of the things that I cannot do myself. Hell, even removing it would be a pain for me, since it'd have to be with the truck on jack stands and that's just not a lot of clearance to play with big parts.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ask him how much dropping a 4l80 in is, otherwise, yeah, thats about right. I paid a bit more than that for the avalanche's 4l60 rebuild with upgraded parts. The honest truth is that the 4l60 just isn't up to hauling around the bulk of those vehicles with any kind of power running to it, much less semi-frequent towing with it and all vehicles on a gmt800 chassis should have had a 4l80 from the factory. If you stick with the 60, put the biggest loving cooler you can on it.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 5, 2019

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
A 4L60E is probably the most commonly rebuilt transmission (its production run including the 700R4 was over 30 years) and steves transmission shop would be out of business in a hurry if he sucked at rebuilding them. $2k seems like a good deal, I wouldn’t hesitate. How many miles did you get out of the original?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Modus Man posted:

Figure $600 for removal and installation and that price sounds good.

Yeah, for real. I'd gladly pay $600 to not have to gently caress with removing and reinstalling a transmission. It sucks, and with a lift and floor jacks, it's just downright awful.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Also chiming in with that's a good price. Stepdad paid more than that for an Aamco rebuild that didn't make it 2k (second made it to 3-4k).

rdb posted:

A 4L60E is probably the most commonly rebuilt transmission (its production run including the 700R4 was over 30 years) and steves transmission shop would be out of business in a hurry if he sucked at rebuilding them.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

QuarkMartial posted:

Yeah, for real. I'd gladly pay $600 to not have to gently caress with removing and reinstalling a transmission. It sucks, and with a lift and floor jacks, it's just downright awful.

HERESY

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The winds of change are blowing in the meatpimp thread.

So I started the day off installing wheel spacers. 12mm in the front and 20mm in the back. It looks a lot better, but nobody will ever notice it, because it looks proper.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

But after that, I'm finding that the car no longer sparks joy for me. It's stupid fast, and I love that. But I've got an M5 rear sway bar in my office waiting to install. But it'll never be a manual, it'll never have a proper sport interior unless I dump money into it, it'll never have a good stereo unless I dump money into it, and it's always going to threaten to blow up on me.

Automotive Sanity steps up and I think I'm going to start trying to sell it in a couple weeks. :sigh:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

meatpimp posted:

Automotive Sanity steps up and I think I'm going to start trying to sell it in a couple weeks. :sigh:

If I was in a different financial situation I'd be mashing that PM button to ask you to sell it to me :sigh: That car checks all my boxes.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Say what you want, but spending hours in old and new ATF with a new trans teetering on a jack and being constantly ready to do an emergency bench press of an AODEW/4R70EW was terrible. Took like a week for my rear end in a top hat to unclench.

meatpimp posted:

But after that, I'm finding that the car no longer sparks joy for me.

Time to Marie Kondo it then.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

Say what you want, but spending hours in old and new ATF with a new trans teetering on a jack and being constantly ready to do an emergency bench press of an AODEW/4R70EW was terrible. Took like a week for my rear end in a top hat to unclench.

Older Skylines are the easiest clutch jobs I've ever done and it still was a PITA with a lift. Miatas too, not horrible but I'd rather let someone else deal with it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

But after that, I'm finding that the car no longer sparks joy for me.

:same:
I just want a sensible daily to keep miles off my truck now. I'm becoming what I hate.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BloodBag posted:

:same:
I just want a sensible daily to keep miles off my truck now. I'm becoming what I hate.

10-year-old Toyota Corolla. Say it with me. Corolla. Join ussssss

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

What the gently caress am I reading in Automotive Insanity?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Big Taint posted:

What the gently caress am I reading in Automotive Insanity?

It may not be as bad as it sounds. I've been thinking about selling both the Escalade and the BMW and getting a Cayenne turbo, so... welp.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

meatpimp posted:

It may not be as bad as it sounds. I've been thinking about selling both the Escalade and the BMW and getting a Cayenne turbo, so... welp.

I’m on board and I eagerly await to see how your cayenne turbo takes to a tune, I hear they make gobs of power

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Now we’re talking. I was worried where this thread was going.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sell the BMW, buy this.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

Looks like someone's been reading Bajaha's thread. I had no idea so much overengineering could be contained in one vehicle.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

May I put forth the idea of a 100 series land cruiser. In the extremely limited amount of miles I’ve put on the LX470 I bought and only skimming the massive wealth of information on the platform I am approaching total saturation on fanboying. I’m in love with everything about it.
It’s 20 years old so it costs nothing to register (like $70). Full coverage insurance with $500 collision and $0 comprehensive is $40/month (34 years old, clean record). Throwing ~$5-6k at it and you have a massively bitching truck that will outlast the cock roaches and go anywhere you want it to.

M3 and Land Cruiser is the ultimate garage.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

meatpimp posted:

you're supposed to say this before i spent money on a new computer :smith:

antiquepacbell
Nov 4, 2012

meatpimp posted:

This is the right decision.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Mister Herr Pimp,

I could use some advice/insight here.

I’ve been offere my godfather’s (‘08) e61 535xi for free. It hasn’t been driven regularly since September of 2017, and even since then, maybe 200 miles. I believe it has around 140k. Apparently there’s an intermittent issue with the transmission where it will sometimes feel like a tire has a flat spot (?). I have a feeling it’ll be either something simple and inexpensive, or, uh, the polar opposite.

Oh yeah, and it’s in CT, and I live 200 miles away in the figerlakes, in NY. BUT, I do have a superduty ford (that I just did the drive in today), and a flatbed rental from uHaul is something like $120.

The vin is Cx01489 if you have any insights about what this car is wearing.

I don’t have much more than a few grand to put towards this- we just bought a house, the kid’s childcare is about to explode in cost- and any work would most likely be on jack stands in my driveway (I do have lift access 25 miles away if things get really weird and it’s worth calling in a favor). But I’m thinking, at the very least, it’s a free N54.

I’m pretty sure i’m going to get the ball rolling on this (even parted, out, I can’t imagine how I couldn’t cover the $120 it’ll cost me to get it to my house).

So tell me, is this a good, bad idea, or THE BEST bad idea?

E: I haven’t had a vested interest in learning the BMW alphabet soup lingo, so it’s mostly just flown over my head, wi5h that in mind, I’m thinking it’s probably easier just to ask- how much money have you spent just on code readers or reading software or..? I have a feeling that’s going to be a big part of sorting the transmission issue.

glyph fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 17, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

glyph posted:

Mister Herr Pimp,

I could use some advice/insight here.

I’ve been offere my godfather’s (‘08) e61 535xi for free. It hasn’t been driven regularly since September of 2017, and even since then, maybe 200 miles. I believe it has around 140k. Apparently there’s an intermittent issue with the transmission where it will sometimes feel like a tire has a flat spot (?). I have a feeling it’ll be either something simple and inexpensive, or, uh, the polar opposite.

Oh yeah, and it’s in CT, and I live 200 miles away in the figerlakes, in NY. BUT, I do have a superduty ford (that I just did the drive in today), and a flatbed rental from uHaul is something like $120.

The vin is Cx01489 if you have any insights about what this car is wearing.

I don’t have much more than a few grand to put towards this- we just bought a house, the kid’s childcare is about to explode in cost- and any work would most likely be on jack stands in my driveway (I do have lift access 25 miles away if things get really weird and it’s worth calling in a favor). But I’m thinking, at the very least, it’s a free N54.

I’m pretty sure i’m going to get the ball rolling on this (even parted, out, I can’t imagine how I couldn’t cover the $120 it’ll cost me to get it to my house).

So tell me, is this a good, bad idea, or THE BEST bad idea?

E: I haven’t had a vested interest in learning the BMW alphabet soup lingo, so it’s mostly just flown over my head, wi5h that in mind, I’m thinking it’s probably easier just to ask- how much money have you spent just on code readers or reading software or..? I have a feeling that’s going to be a big part of sorting the transmission issue.

In Hawaii phone posting right now, but you go get that car. It'll have a slew of maintenance to catch up on, but if you're willing to play, it's worth the dice roll. There's a good chance a transmission service 2ITH changi g the solenoids will make the transmission happy, they're pretty stout. I didnt change the solenoids when I was in there and I wish I'd spent the extra $200.The spec is good, have and head up is nice, but no sport package, so the I terior is bland, like mine.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

you go get that car.

:patriot: yes, SIR.

Enjoy the aloha state, some days I wonder why I ever left.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

glyph posted:

Apparently there’s an intermittent issue with the transmission where it will sometimes feel like a tire has a flat spot (?). I have a feeling it’ll be either something simple and inexpensive, or, uh, the polar opposite.

Willing to bet that's a driveshaft issue. Arent the AWD systems from the 5/X5 notorious for making GBS threads the u joints out?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

BloodBag posted:

Willing to bet that's a driveshaft issue. Arent the AWD systems from the 5/X5 notorious for making GBS threads the u joints out?

Would that be intermittent and/or toss a code?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BloodBag posted:

Good point, could be a guibo. Mine shudders just a little bit when starting off, then smooths out. It's very minor, but I could see that feeling like a flat spot if it develops and gets worse. I've got an extra if you end up needing one.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Can you write me up a brief thinkpiece about the 'sport automatic transmission' and how it compares to DCT? Also, if you're thinking about getting rid: goon pricing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Niacin posted:

Can you write me up a brief thinkpiece about the 'sport automatic transmission' and how it compares to DCT? Also, if you're thinking about getting rid: goon pricing?

I've been vacationing and sick, so this thread's languished.

I don't know about much about DCT, my brother's GTI and my mom's Beetle have them and I can't stand them. Too little control in slow movement situations (parking lots, primarily). To me, they feel like someone that doesn't know how to drive a manual... trying to drive a manual.

I've got $6500 in the car. I'll be listing it for either $7800 or $8200, depending on how I feel at the time. I should be able to get $7k pretty easily. Goon price a little less. It is a 3-owner, service documented car with no repaints, looks really good and is fast as balls. I think it'll sell.

Right now the Escalade is with Steve the transmission guy, who operates with a handshake. I'm kinda nervous about that, but we'll see next week.

I'm shopping 2018 Buick Regal TourX.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Niacin posted:

I’ve driven a DCT e90 m3 a bunch and owned a few steptronic e90s. Daily driver? Get a steptronic. The low speed DCT nonsense would drive me crazy if I had to drive it everyday. And in the turbo cars, there is 0 boost drop with the auto so it just keeps freight training.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

meatpimp posted:

I'm shopping Buick.

LOL ur old.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

LOL ur old.

Indeed, but it's an AWD turbo wagon, just with a warranty and better than BMW reliability... :shrug:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I’m guessing this is the insignia, is there a similar drivetrain offering in Europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bolind posted:

I’m guessing this is the insignia, is there a similar drivetrain offering in Europe?

I think the entire car is a rebadged-and-shipped Opel Insignia wagon.