Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

game is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This game feels real dwarf fortress-y and it owns. The map is static though, right? What about monsters placement, etc.?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

NeurosisHead posted:

This game feels real dwarf fortress-y and it owns. The map is static though, right? What about monsters placement, etc.?

Map is mostly static. There are town overrides that can change the state of a settlement based on what you do there (Mostly if you kill/kidnap the dude in charge), but no giant landscaping changes. There are random monster/rear end in a top hat encounters, and the game will place nests of critters or camps of bandits in the world as you walk around.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Someone on the kenshi subreddit posted this map of basic political and geographical information of all over Kenshi. This has some spoilers, including some moderate spoilers for the hazards of the center of kenshi (written in black). If you've already tried to go to the center, you probably won't be spoiled here.

https://i.imgur.com/oqH5zA3.png

This version of the same map has the black text in yellow so it's harder to accidentally read if you want to skip over that part I guess:

https://i.redd.it/5cr5yrtym0k21.png

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 4, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
My fearless leader is a chick with a green Mohawk, gas mask, and leather jacket. I gotta find her some sick pants and boots.

After nearly dying multiple times we are finally re establishing ourselves at the hub. Joined the shinobi thieves and I have my dudes with the biggest backpacks mining copper non stop while the rest train. Soon we are going to establish our own dojo and run down to the swamps for hash. Considering starting my own hash dealership in town where I will assault and enslave customers I don't like the look of.

Is there any way to send mined ore straight into backpacks? I'm sick of micromanaging the drones

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

game is good

:hai:

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Turpitude posted:

My fearless leader is a chick with a green Mohawk, gas mask, and leather jacket. I gotta find her some sick pants and boots.

After nearly dying multiple times we are finally re establishing ourselves at the hub. Joined the shinobi thieves and I have my dudes with the biggest backpacks mining copper non stop while the rest train. Soon we are going to establish our own dojo and run down to the swamps for hash. Considering starting my own hash dealership in town where I will assault and enslave customers I don't like the look of.

Is there any way to send mined ore straight into backpacks? I'm sick of micromanaging the drones

If I recall correctly you can buy one of the broken down houses and build copper storage. Then set your drones to auto haul to the storage.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Turpitude posted:

if you set mining as a job (shift+right click the node) they'll automatically haul any ore to storage after mining 5. of course, you need a house and a storage but that's as automated as it gets

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Copper storage can't be build indoors :( I build one outside Hub not far from the "rebel base" which is just a nice bar to chill at and sell my ore.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Turpitude posted:

Copper storage can't be build indoors :( I build one outside Hub not far from the "rebel base" which is just a nice bar to chill at and sell my ore.

Leal posted:

I've also nabbed some iron plates from the Holy Nation and build a copper ore container.
:confused:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I had a good set up mining two copper nodes outside the hub and selling half at the bar and half at that rebel bas bar but all the guys in the rebel bar disappeared. I got a nice one time prize of picking the place clean but they had stuff the one in town doesn’t sell and he can’t keep his pockets full enough to buy all more ore.

I bought a couple houses in town and pretty much just researched everything possible and built some training stations. Recruited about ten guys from surrounding towns and trained them up but even a decent sized group of starving bandits will still cause some annoying injuries when I’m out exploring and a small group of dust bandits will probably bust someone’s leg.

The game is cool but I have done a LOT of grinding at max speed and I feel like I haven’t really got anywhere.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Turpitude posted:

I had a copper storage inside my longhouse at Squin

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Death To Okranites

Even though the UC nobles might technically be bigger assholes I just can't help myself and hate the Holy Nation a lot more.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 5, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A UC noble will sell his mother into slavery to outfit his samurais to go peasant hunting but there's a certain might makes right transactional honesty to the situation.

Okranites believe other races are sub human and they are actually helping them become human by working them to death so that the good karma might reincarnate them as a white man.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Weird, copper storage dudes. I genuinely can't place it anywhere within the Hub, even in my house.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
A herd of goats is substantially tougher than I bargained for. I am thankful to the goats for allowing me to slowly crawl back to town after they crippled all three of us.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I had big plans tonight. I thought that I was going to finish off the Holy Nation. Every base and mine and farm was raided. They really just hold Blister Hill and nothing else, and I had raided that a couple of times to thin the guard herd.

The Holy Nation was just a station house full of high paladins, the Protector of the Flame, and their Phoenix. I outnumbered them three to one, but this was the first fight in a long time that I wasn't able to win through numbers (32 soldiers with 50/60's stats!).

I should've brought my crossbows.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

litany of gulps posted:

I had big plans tonight. I thought that I was going to finish off the Holy Nation. Every base and mine and farm was raided. They really just hold Blister Hill and nothing else, and I had raided that a couple of times to thin the guard herd.

The Holy Nation was just a station house full of high paladins, the Protector of the Flame, and their Phoenix. I outnumbered them three to one, but this was the first fight in a long time that I wasn't able to win through numbers (32 soldiers with 50/60's stats!).

I should've brought my crossbows.

I love reading stuff like this because right now I just have five morons desperately mining and researching and hoping to scrape up enough capital to head off and start their own little town somewhere in between getting beat up for their food by starving bandits. My first game a bunch of bandits beat me up, slavers wandered up and enslaved me, then wandered into a pack of bonedogs and got themselves (and me) killed. Game owns.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Turpitude posted:

Weird, copper storage dudes. I genuinely can't place it anywhere within the Hub, even in my house.

I've had issues where I couldn't place something (particularly obvious when it was 'you can't put a well in open terrain'), fixed by either exiting build mode and trying again or reloading the save. Game just bugs out sometimes. :shrug:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bedurndurn posted:

A herd of goats is substantially tougher than I bargained for. I am thankful to the goats for allowing me to slowly crawl back to town after they crippled all three of us.

Goats are a force to be reckoned with in the early game. I've seen them kick the limbs off of hungry/dust bandits for trying to give them a hard time.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

goats are the only thing in kenshi not looking to kill you. even garrus will freak out now and then, but a goat is always your friend.

never attack the goats.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I've had passing goats run in and help me fight off dust bandits. Goats are friends.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
On the other hand, I've had a herd of goats attack the anti-slaver patrol for some unexplained reason.

On the other other hand, I dunno if it was a mod or what, but a farm goat and its dozen kids were able to be talked to. Told them to follow me [bodyguard] and we just roamed around kicking the local cannibal's poo poo in. I had tons of medical supplies from skirmishing with the UC so we just patched em up and hung out for healed wounds and went at it again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dareon posted:

Map is mostly static. There are town overrides that can change the state of a settlement based on what you do there (Mostly if you kill/kidnap the dude in charge), but no giant landscaping changes. There are random monster/rear end in a top hat encounters, and the game will place nests of critters or camps of bandits in the world as you walk around.
Those nests will actually spawn patrolling squads of monsters and bandits, too, so they're not just for effect. Destroying the nests near one of your bases will massively cut down on casual attacks by local bandits etc., although it naturally won't do anything against assaults by established factions if you manage to piss someone off.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I started a game as a slave and now am a lockpicking and stealth master. Seems to be a pretty good way to start, and gives me a good reason to eventually go back and wipe out those slaver fucks later.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you can also leave rebirth with an obscene amount of toughness and kung-fu know how as well.

it's probably the 'easiest start', as much as the term is worth.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It says some funny things that one of the easiest vanilla starts is the one where you begin in an inescapable hell-prison full of slaves, with no scripted escape sequence in sight.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

jfood posted:

you can also leave rebirth with an obscene amount of toughness and kung-fu know how as well.

it's probably the 'easiest start', as much as the term is worth.

I assume by fighting guards and getting re captured?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Mr E posted:

I assume by fighting guards and getting re captured?

The guards not only feed you but (usually) heal you after beating your dumb failed escapee rear end.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

It says some funny things that one of the easiest vanilla starts is the one where you begin in an inescapable hell-prison full of slaves, with no scripted escape sequence in sight.

outside of losing a limb, which is built into one of the other starts, there's really no risk involved. it's an incredibly violent, depressing and degrading set of training wheels.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It still says some funny things about how much more hostile all the rest of the world is.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
With most of the other starts, you have to hope that whatever beats the piss out of you is content to just drink the piss for needed hydration and leave you alone.

The Holy Nation Citizen start is probably the second easiest, just because the HN is small enough that you bump into patrols every five minutes. Compared to the UC territories, where you can wander the desert for days without seeing anything but giant terrifying bugs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's strangely easy to forget just how tiny Okran's Pride is when you're standing in it. It feels a lot bigger than it is, but it's maybe a tenth the size of the Great Desert... which is itself the single largest zone in the game, but still no more than a twentieth of the map as a whole, if that.

Game is big.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Has anyone tried doing a holy nation character yet?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have, in that I had a smiling, ingratiating white man with a bible to deal with the fuckers on my behalf, then I had to run from them as my people started to acquire prosthetics and robo friends, then I got swole and wiped them off the face of the earth :getin:

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Clark Nova posted:

I have, in that I had a smiling, ingratiating white man with a bible to deal with the fuckers on my behalf, then I had to run from them as my people started to acquire prosthetics and robo friends, then I got swole and wiped them off the face of the earth :getin:

wiping out the Holy Nation with a bunch of Robo-Sheks is one of the most satisfying things in Kenshi.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
When I was a nameless turd miner in some nameless shithole desert, my trusty Toothpick gave hungry bandits something to eat. When I built a mining compound and struggled with ninjas and raiders, my Spring Bat put down would-be thieves. As a treasure hunter, my squad with Oldworld bows dismantled security spiders. Problems with some roided out fanatics?

https://imgur.com/OSiZGxa

Well, I suck and don't know how to use images. Anyway, crossbows are the answer!

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 6, 2019

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Clark Nova posted:

does every holy nation playthrough turn out this way? just plain forgot that one of my dudes had a cyber-arm, then a couple days of jihad 'til I could get all the resources packed up. dismantling buildings might be instant, but picking all that stuff up and getting on to the pack garrus took ages.

leave no iron plate behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think you can actually hide your cyber dudes. For a few months of in-game time, I actually had a base in northern Okran's Pride that was staffed by one white guy and a bunch of robots. Since it was walled in completely and the robots mostly worked inside, the visiting preachers weren't able to see them and I never got into any trouble. I think I could've kept this going basically indefinitely.