Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, as far as I know hockeytracker is the only consumer option out there for logging a hockey game. All the professional stuff is mega bux that puts sensors in your pads and has radios installed around the rink to triangulate a player.

I don't really trust it because I'm not convinced an accelerometer on my wrist can be accurate for tracking movement but as long as it's consistently inaccurate it's useful for comparing how I played this week vs how I played last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We won tonight 4-1, bringing our record for the season to 3-1. For our first goal, I employed a lesser-known tactic called the "blue-line screen." It's where you skate ahead of the opposing defense while your D-man has the puck deep in his own zone. Then instead of catching his long pass for a breakaway, you skillfully let the puck go between your legs, confident in the fact that the goalie will flub the puck and let it go between his legs for a goal. I'm expecting a call from Stan Bowman anytime now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We’re the first place team in my Friday night league. Our last 2 games before the playoffs, and we got shithoused by the last and second-to-last place teams. Hockey is weird.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Had a game called last night after the first period when the roof started leaking (it's raining like crazy ) all over the ice. Ended up getting a massive hole in one section. This happens every year because they just put some idiotic band-aid fix on it instead of paying to actually fix the roof properly, despite charging $10k per team, with 68 teams, twice a year.

Like I said.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

That is a spectacular hacky fix

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hmm yes what a safe & sane solution

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

"Holy poo poo, this guy got cut by a skate and is slowly bleeding out!"

<hockey tapes funnel and hose over the wound to divert it into the toilet>

"Whew that was close, guys!"

And I missed my game Friday night with a crusher of a headache. I am a sad hockey man.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Speaking of getting cut by a skate and dodgy fixes, I got cut by a skate last night. It was my own skate. I was getting up and the left blade cut inside my right thigh between the shin guard and breezers. It's about a three inch cut and was fairly deep. It didn't bleed a ton, so I finished the skate and super glued it shut when I got home. Here's hoping there wasn't Staphylococcus on my skate blade, sock, breezers, towel, or the jeans I wore to the pizza place afterwards before buying the glue and a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide at a 24 hour grocery store on my way home. Looks ok so far, bruised and crusty but no sign of infection.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finally tried my new skates last night. Went pretty well. They're a little stiff as all new skates are, but I like them.

I wear size 9s with my skates even though my shoe size is 11. Looking at the sizing charts most would have me wearing a 9.5 skate given my shoe size. I've always worn 9s though since high school. I guess I've got that Paul Coffey thing going where I prefer my skates on the smaller size? I read that he used to wear skates one size smaller than recommended since he thought it gave him more control.

One of these years I'll bite the bullet and do something truly silly like buy a top top line of skate. I went with the Vapor x500s this year. Couldn't quite stomach the 1k that the 1xs would have cost. One day I'll say gently caress it and just do something like that though just to see if I even can tell a difference with the top of the line model.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What does everyone use for their game RSVPs? All my teams have used Hockey Clubhouse for the past 10 years or so, and they just sent out an email saying they're shutting down in the near future.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm in the ASHL which has a website that does all that for us. Which is nice.. it's kind of a crap site, but at least no one on the team has to take on the role of being the team's IT support.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

What does everyone use for their game RSVPs? All my teams have used Hockey Clubhouse for the past 10 years or so, and they just sent out an email saying they're shutting down in the near future.

A lot of teams in our league use Team Cowboy which is usable but loving awful from a UI perspective. If you want to use your phone, you can either log into the non-mobile optimized website or download a third party app called Pocket Cowboy. It works but I like to think the usability, or lackthereof, keeps people from RSVPing. I've heard good things about Bench App from other people who got fed up with teamcowboy. Part of me wants to switch but gently caress if that doesn't sound like a nightmare.

As for skates, I could never justify spending $1k on skates. It seems insane. Also, I'm not good enough to warrant spending that kind of money on skates when I would probably be better off spending $400 on skates and $600 on power skating clinics. I'm just going to put new steel in my vapors and hope they last another few years.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Team Cowboy :shrug: it's all I've ever known since my past two team captains used it and I started using it as cap'n of my 3-on-3 league team

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
We use BenchApp. I'm not the team captain so I have no idea how much of a pain in the rear end it is to load schedule, set lines, etc. but our captain seems at his happiest after the game keying in goals, assists, penalties, etc. while rehashing the game.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My more organized league does Team Cowboy, which works reasonably well for people who are playing but also saying they're available to sub. I've never had any real issues with the UI on my iPhone. You just have to zoom in.

My other team, the captain just uses a Facebook group and sends out a message a day or two before. He keeps setting up a calendar in TeamSnap at the start of the season and then never using it again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Stitecin posted:

our captain seems at his happiest after the game keying in goals, assists, penalties, etc. while rehashing the game.

Lol nope. Being captain sucks enough as is, no chance I'm also punching in stats.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

We just have a groupme and our captain creates an event on gameday mornings that everyone can rsvp to.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Verman posted:

Lol nope. Being captain sucks enough as is, no chance I'm also punching in stats.

Ha, you wouldn't have to do that. It works well for the RSVP feature.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We used TeamSnap for a bit but no one ever responded. Now we just use Facebook messenger so we can talk trash and have people respond, only to realize we'll have 7 guys on the bench.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
BenchApp has worked well for my team the last few seasons.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
BenchApp, the guys who run the few teams I play on seem to like it, the UI is garbage from a user standpoint but its fine, best part is you can set refreshemnts, and it will send reminder texts to players to check in/out and on the day of games if you want.

RosterBot was the best but it became SportGo I think and havent used it in quite a while.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

We just have a big mailing list. Seems to work out OK. We have enough full timers to field 3 full forward lines and 2 lines of D if everyone shows.

We also have like 4 or 5 spares that pay 1/2. It really keeps the fees down having that many people.

Usually we have enough to field a full 3 lines and 2 lines of D between the spares and everyone else.

Must be pretty annoying for our captain to manage but whatever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D C posted:

BenchApp, the guys who run the few teams I play on seem to like it, the UI is garbage from a user standpoint but its fine, best part is you can set refreshemnts, and it will send reminder texts to players to check in/out and on the day of games if you want.

RosterBot was the best but it became SportGo I think and havent used it in quite a while.

Captain of my team was just looking into BenchApp. Seems decent, and :lol: at the beer assignment feature.

My daughter's soccer team uses Team Snap and I hate the app even though it has some decent features. Team Cowboy UI looks like it hasn't been updated in 15 years, which seems to be par for the course in sports team management apps. BenchApp UI seems to at least have been updated in the past decade.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Our captain sends out a tour-level professional looking PDF with key dates and the schedule and then a daily email confirming specific times we're doing hockey and non-hockey things that day.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I'm on teams using Team Cowboy, BenchApp, and Team Snap. My favorite is BenchApp, mostly for the chatting and beer duty features.

Also:

Pleads posted:

Our captain sends out a tour-level professional looking PDF with key dates and the schedule and then a daily email confirming specific times we're doing hockey and non-hockey things that day.

I'm fully expecting this every day for PBR 2020.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I use Whoozin. Pretty straightforward.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My team captain just emails everyone and says to email him back if they can't make it. Said team captain doesn't even usually play in our games either unless we're short a player so it's kinda amazing we get good enough attendance most nights to play.

Right now we're in our combined Winter/Spring season which has like 20 games or something like that. It's kinda sucking right now though because we've had frequent two week breaks between games since they have to stretch it out so far. Luckily there's another rink that does pickup twice a week so I'm at least getting some ice in doing that.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Stitecin posted:

We use BenchApp. I'm not the team captain so I have no idea how much of a pain in the rear end it is to load schedule, set lines, etc. but our captain seems at his happiest after the game keying in goals, assists, penalties, etc. while rehashing the game.

This is what we use too. I really like it, but I'm also not the one who sets lines and loads the schedule, etc.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Captain of my team was just looking into BenchApp. Seems decent, and :lol: at the beer assignment feature.

The thing that bugs me most about it is it takes clicks to get into checking in and checking out and sometime takes a bit to load the pages.

Theres a lot of fluff, but its core utility is for players to check in and check out so it shouldnt take digging to do that.

In my opinion the home page should be a list chronologically of upcoming games for all the teams youre on that use it and you can go down and click yes or no to each game on the main page.

THe way it is is you get the next game from the last team you selected, then you click that game to get to the game page, then check in our out. In order to see a game from a different team you have to go to the menu and select the other team and wait for that to load, then click the next game for that team and then wait for the game page to load before checking in/out for that one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D C posted:

The thing that bugs me most about it is it takes clicks to get into checking in and checking out and sometime takes a bit to load the pages.

Theres a lot of fluff, but its core utility is for players to check in and check out so it shouldnt take digging to do that.

In my opinion the home page should be a list chronologically of upcoming games for all the teams youre on that use it and you can go down and click yes or no to each game on the main page.

THe way it is is you get the next game from the last team you selected, then you click that game to get to the game page, then check in our out. In order to see a game from a different team you have to go to the menu and select the other team and wait for that to load, then click the next game for that team and then wait for the game page to load before checking in/out for that one.

Yeah, the "app" just seems like a wrapper for a webpage. Kind of janky, and can take a while to load some tabs. Captain and I have been messing around with it. The texting check-in seems convenient, but is a paywalled feature. Would definitely make planning pre-game beers much easier than an 18-person group text message. Also paywalled, I believe.

If we did a yearly subscription, it's like $5-6/person/year, which is fairly whatever. We may just go that route and tack it onto the season league fees.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Oh, yeah, I've never, ever ever ever used the mobile app for team cowboy so I can't speak to how lovely that particular part is. Though I don't think I've ever heard anything good about it. I've just adjusts used a browser to work with it and it seems not that clunky.

Also, goons who don't already know: go register in the pbr tournament for 2020 to play against us other goons it'll be fun and dumb

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Seeing Connor McDavid do this makes me feel a lot better about my dumb mistakes.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
He meant to :smuggo:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a double post no goal a couple weeks ago, watching the puck wobble along the goal line and never go in has been in my nightmares since.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We were down last night 3-4 in the third period with 2:30 left and a powerplay. On the ensuing faceoff in their zone, our center tries to skate past their center and gets interfered with and they call it. We now get a 5 on 3 with roughly 2 minutes left. We pull the goalie for the 6 on 3. I think we scored with 20 seconds left in the game. Their goalie had made a bunch of completely asinine saves that seemed impossible but eventually it went in.

That might be one of the first times the goalie pull worked in my first hand experience.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Got my second ever hat trick today. :toot:

I tried going five-hole on a breakaway, but the goalie got down in time and the rebound went right to my teammate, who passed it back to me. I stick handled from my backhand wayyy outside to my forehand and just got the puck around the goalie's skate for the first one. The second was a one-timer off a pass from behind the net. It hit the top of the goalie's right pad and flopped over the line. The third was short-side that hit the post and snuck past the goalie's shoulder and in. One of my best games ever. Feels good. :dance:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

We were down last night 3-4 in the third period with 2:30 left and a powerplay. On the ensuing faceoff in their zone, our center tries to skate past their center and gets interfered with and they call it. We now get a 5 on 3 with roughly 2 minutes left. We pull the goalie for the 6 on 3. I think we scored with 20 seconds left in the game. Their goalie had made a bunch of completely asinine saves that seemed impossible but eventually it went in.

That might be one of the first times the goalie pull worked in my first hand experience.

Yeah, but it took you guys 50 shots.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

We only had 8 skaters and a sub goalie last night against a good team with a full bench. Some guys were grumbling about our impending blowout before the game and we gave up a goal in the first minute. They ended up outshooting us 47-26...and we won 10-4. I guess the lesson is: never count yourself out, you could run into a goalie having an incredibly lovely night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's proven by science that too many people on the bench make people bad at hockey. They sit around too much and get mad about not having enough shifts.

Meanwhile the undermanned team is scared shitless about getting blown out and playing scared unlocks god mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
three weeks ago: 7 skaters total against a full bench - win 5-3

last sunday: 13 skaters against a mostly full bench - lose 0-8
they were also an upper-division team we shouldn't have been playing lol our poor goalie