Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sterster posted:

^ The only thing that I can think of is an english dish known as Trifle. It's usually fruit in gelatin layered with custards or creams and whipped topping.

It could well be a 1960's, American, gelatin-obsessed kind of trifle. That idea kept coming up and I kept dismissing it ("surely it can't be that"). But who knows.

Jello used to have this 1-2-3 kit that made a three-layer thing that was in the spirit of what I"m talking about. I think that's what my mom was thinking of but I recall it heralded to something a few decades older. The kit didn't have any other tasty things you might expect in a trifle like pudding or fruit. FWIW if I did just make a trifle, I don't think anybody would complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
From kraft, Jello 123 https://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipe/091541/jell-o-1-2-3-dessert
There are a number of copy cat recipes that I found just googling jello 123

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I recall them being called Jello parfaits, and a cursory Googlin' showed me what I remembered growing up in the 70's. Maybe parfait is the magic word you're looking for? Any recipe from Kraft is gonna push the Cool Whip angle, but I found some decent looking ones made with real whipped cream right off the bat.

(poo poo, who here remembers "pudding in a cloud"? I haven't had that since Bill Cosby was still the Jello pudding spokesguy in the 80s --- in fact, I heard his voice in my head just typing it. Now I've got the worst craving for it, synthetic Cool Whip taste and all.)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Layers of differently flavoured blancmange?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bollock Monkey posted:

Layers of differently flavoured blancmange?
From planet Skyron of the Andromeda Galaxy?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sterster posted:

From kraft, Jello 123 https://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipe/091541/jell-o-1-2-3-dessert
There are a number of copy cat recipes that I found just googling jello 123

I knew about the 1-2-3s; I was trying to find the basis for which they came up with that because the concept existed earlier. We were just reminded of them when talking about the Jello 1-2-3s. We were watching that ration guy on YouTube eating some strange poo poo and thought about them. I thought I had seen pictures of layers desserts like that in some old cook books, but I can't remember which.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I recall them being called Jello parfaits, and a cursory Googlin' showed me what I remembered growing up in the 70's. Maybe parfait is the magic word you're looking for? Any recipe from Kraft is gonna push the Cool Whip angle, but I found some decent looking ones made with real whipped cream right off the bat.
I originally didn't think so, but every single thing that comes up for "Hello parfait" looks right. I'm just going to go for that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some name for a category of dairy-added, whipped gelatin desserts? I got the impression there was something from the 60's that wasn't just stirring in some Cool Whip or whatever and often was done in layers. You still see it now, but there isn't a categorical term for it.
Charlotte Russe and any sort of Bavarian are basically whipped cream or whipped cream and custard stiffened with gelatin and put in a mold. Julia Child’s book is full of them, and Charlotte Russe is particularly delicious.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Charlotte Russe and any sort of Bavarian are basically whipped cream or whipped cream and custard stiffened with gelatin and put in a mold. Julia Child’s book is full of them, and Charlotte Russe is particularly delicious.

That does look like a good thing. I'm seeing a lot with basically ladyfingers. Are those hard ladyfingers or soft ones?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lady fingers are generally pretty dry but when you use them for a dessert that is filled with a custardy goo they absorb some of the moisture and soften up a bit.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I make my own (it’s super easy!) and they’re soft, but I think even if they were hard sitting in the mold with the other stuff they would soften up.

Charlotte Russe and beef bourguignon and real bolognese are in the category of ‘things that still surprise me with their deliciousness every time I make them’

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 4, 2019

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
What's the best way to cook broccoli? All I can find googling around is "roast it with lemon and garlic" and while that's fine, I'd like to do something slightly more creative

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TheCog posted:

What's the best way to cook broccoli? All I can find googling around is "roast it with lemon and garlic" and while that's fine, I'd like to do something slightly more creative

Roasting with lemon, garlic, and olive oil literally is the best way to cook it. Getting those slightly charred, crispy bits on the florets from a high-heat roast is IMO the best way to enjoy that magnificent veg.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://mcpaintanddesign.tumblr.com/post/76432197548/broccoli-velvet-puree-its-side-dish-day-and

Otherwise I just like to give it high heat in a stir fry or whatever to taste. imo gotta have it crunchy if not blended.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Roasting with lemon, garlic, and olive oil literally is the best way to cook it. Getting those slightly charred, crispy bits on the florets from a high-heat roast is IMO the best way to enjoy that magnificent veg.

A little cumin and paprika is nice with the above. Or hit it with some fresh grated parm as soon as it comes out of the oven.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Is white mineral oil (100% pure) a safe choice for oiling a bamboo cutting board? Depending on what site I read it's either a solid choice or will poison my entire family. The one I'm looking at is just labelled "white mineral oil", but others that are labelled as food safe are, best I can tell, also just 100% pure white mineral oil.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

pile of brown posted:

So I know keto is bullshit but I have to make trendy food for one of my outlets, does anyone know of a keto recipe resource that doesn't rely on powders and poo poo? I just want whole(ish) ingredients, like almond milk is fine or whatever

https://headbangerskitchen.com/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheCog posted:

Roasting works for almost everything. It isn't appreciated enough.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I could've sworn there was a kitchen equipment thread but I went back a few pages and couldn't find it.

I'm moving to the US in a few weeks and will need new appliances. I currently have a Bamix and a Kenwood MultiPro FP920 and I love them both, but they are both getting left behind due to the power difference.

I already know I want a Vitamix. What's top of the list for stick blenders and food processors?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

real bolognese
:frogon:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

angor posted:

I could've sworn there was a kitchen equipment thread but I went back a few pages and couldn't find it.

I'm moving to the US in a few weeks and will need new appliances. I currently have a Bamix and a Kenwood MultiPro FP920 and I love them both, but they are both getting left behind due to the power difference.

I already know I want a Vitamix. What's top of the list for stick blenders and food processors?

Top of the second page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

Definitely still ask in the thread, but for me though, I have the older model of this stick blender and it's awesome.

For food processor, since you are looking at spending Vitamix money, I assume you want to go high end, not budget, so classic Cuisinart is the gold standard.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
There is an upgrade option from Cuisinart. Magimix is the consumer arm of Robot Coupe, and they have an astounding 30 year warranty on the motor. I have a 5200XL, and it's definitely nicer than the various Cuisinart models I've used.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheCog posted:

Pepin does a puree with just steamed 2 lbs soft broccoli with half a deseeded jalapeno. Pulp together, add a dash of lemon juice or vinegar, salt, 2 tbls butter. You can dress that up with some nuts and parmesan or other but it's a solid non roasted prep if you don't over-steam the broccoli too much.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like Ramsay's broccoli soup. Basically, just boil the broccoli in salted water until just tender, then move it straight into a blender with some of the cooking water and blitz it smooth.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tendales posted:

I like Ramsay's broccoli soup. Basically, just boil the broccoli in salted water until just tender, then move it straight into a blender with some of the cooking water and blitz it smooth.

I've done that, with the addition of some sodium citrate and sharp cheddar. Easy broccoli cheese soup thats silky smooth.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That Works posted:

Pepin does a puree with just steamed 2 lbs soft broccoli with half a deseeded jalapeno. Pulp together, add a dash of lemon juice or vinegar, salt, 2 tbls butter. You can dress that up with some nuts and parmesan or other but it's a solid non roasted prep if you don't over-steam the broccoli too much.
Can you add garlic to this? What about spinach?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can you add garlic to $VEGETABLE?

Yes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Can you add garlic to this? What about spinach?

I'm sure you could. I'd add maybe some finely minced garlic after the puree to taste. Spinach would probably be fine just briefly letting wilt at the end of steaming so it purees up easier. With more spinach you may need a bit more lemon or vinegar to offset the earthiness of it.

Like the others above, I prefer to roast my broccoli until the ends get good and browned and then toss on some lemon juice and salt while its really hot coming out of the oven. But, if you want a change the puree is good.

Ah I found the exact recipe online, I just have the book. Here it is:

http://mcpaintanddesign.tumblr.com/post/76432197548/broccoli-velvet-puree-its-side-dish-day-and

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've done that, with the addition of some sodium citrate and sharp cheddar. Easy broccoli cheese soup thats silky smooth.

I just did this a few weeks ago based off of Kenji’s recipe. Roast up a couple pounds of broccoli, reserve half to a quarter of it, stick blend the broccoli with homemade stock, sodium citrate, grated in sharp cheddar. Season to taste with mustard powder and hot sauce, add in reserves florets for texture.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TheCog posted:

Dry sautéed (smallish florets, medium-hot-ish dry pan, bounce everything around until the stems are as tender as you want them and they're starting to char in spots) with ginger and garlic, finished with shaoxing and light soy or oyster sauce and light soy (depending on what else you're serving it with).

This works if anything even better with all those trendy broccolini/broccolette hybrids that are showing up all over these days, as they cook up quick as hell and you tend to get more char by weight and the flavour ends up being more intense.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DasNeonLicht posted:

Can you add garlic to $VEGETABLE?
Yes.
My man.

That Works posted:

I'm sure you could. I'd add maybe some finely minced garlic after the puree to taste. Spinach would probably be fine just briefly letting wilt at the end of steaming so it purees up easier. With more spinach you may need a bit more lemon or vinegar to offset the earthiness of it.
Sweet, thanks

That Works posted:

Like the others above, I prefer to roast my broccoli until the ends get good and browned and then toss on some lemon juice and salt while its really hot coming out of the oven.
I often steam Broccoli but have not tried this - how long at what temp? Anything go on the Broccoli before you roast it? Just roast it on a pan/baking sheet? Can I add Garlic?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I often steam Broccoli but have not tried this - how long at what temp? Anything go on the Broccoli before you roast it? Just roast it on a pan/baking sheet? Can I add Garlic?

Others may have a better suggestion but my go to is:

Cut 3-4 heads up, removing florets. Spray or brush olive oil thinly and evenly across bottom of baking sheet, lay out broccoli, brush or spray on more olive oil, dust with salt. Preheat oven to 425F, add broccoli and bake for ~30 mins until a majority of the florets have substantial browning on them. Remove and immediately squeeze half a lemon over the broccoli, dust with a little black pepper.

That's all I do. Garlic may or may not work depending on if it gets too browned and bitter.

That Works fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 5, 2019

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I am trying to re-create that lovely friend rice you get at trashy teppanyaki joints you can go to in most of America. For whatever reason I am having a very hard time getting anything close. I can usually make something good, but it's never ~the same~

I'm having a hard time getting flavor into the rice without oversaturating it w/butter or oil or whatever and making it slightly greasy. The stuff in resteraunts has this nice MSG sheen to it but it's not greasy.

Anyone do their own fried rice like this? Any tips? Am I an idiot just doing it wrong?

Right now I'm doing long grain basmati, garlic, onion, butter, little bit of oil, egg, salt & pepper, little bit of Kikkoman soy sauce. I use a zojorushi rice cooker + griddle to cook/fry the rice

Scionix fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 5, 2019

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Scionix posted:

I am trying to re-create that lovely friend rice you get at trashy teppanyaki joints you can go to in most of America. For whatever reason I am having a very hard time getting anything close. I can usually make something good, but it's never ~the same~

I'm having a hard time getting flavor into the rice without oversaturating it w/butter or oil or whatever and making it slightly greasy. The stuff in resteraunts has this nice MSG sheen to it but it's not greasy.

Anyone do their own fried rice like this? Any tips? Am I an idiot just doing it wrong?

Right now I'm doing long grain basmati, garlic, onion, butter, little bit of oil, egg, salt & pepper, little bit of Kikkoman soy sauce. I use a zojorushi rice cooker + griddle to cook/fry the rice

Do they use powdered MSG? Is that the missing ingredient?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Helith posted:

Do they use powdered MSG? Is that the missing ingredient?

Not that I can tell, I'm assuming they're doing something different with the rice prep/cooking temp when they fry it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scionix posted:

What's your technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HggxT-stiY4

I'm not sure what your local teppanyaki places taste like, but this video is pretty spot on from what I've tasted. It's pretty much what I do for mine

Fry garlic in oil, scramble egg quick, add the rice and let it fry/dry out, add garnish, finish with soy and butter.

One thing is maybe the kind of rice? Basmati has a pretty distinct flavor and texture that is a lot different than Japanese short grain imo.

Edit: A little sesame oil makes a big difference too.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

In general whenever stir fry at home is somehow just not living up to restaurant stuff I always suggest "cook hotter"

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Casu Marzu posted:

What's your technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HggxT-stiY4

I'm not sure what your local teppanyaki places taste like, but this video is pretty spot on from what I've tasted. It's pretty much what I do for mine

Fry garlic in oil, scramble egg quick, add the rice and let it fry/dry out, add garnish, finish with soy and butter.

One thing is maybe the kind of rice? Basmati has a pretty distinct flavor and texture that is a lot different than Japanese short grain imo.

Edit: A little sesame oil makes a big difference too.

Ok, gonna try with seasame oil instead. Also he goes way heavier on the garlic/rice ratio which is why my stuff probably tastes bland. (I love garlic just kind of conservative cooking with it)

Is there a particular type of short grain he's using or will any ole type do?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Doom Rooster posted:

Top of the second page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

Definitely still ask in the thread, but for me though, I have the older model of this stick blender and it's awesome.

For food processor, since you are looking at spending Vitamix money, I assume you want to go high end, not budget, so classic Cuisinart is the gold standard.

Don't know how I missed that, thank you.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

There is an upgrade option from Cuisinart. Magimix is the consumer arm of Robot Coupe, and they have an astounding 30 year warranty on the motor. I have a 5200XL, and it's definitely nicer than the various Cuisinart models I've used.

Will definitely check out the Magimix stuff. Thanks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scionix posted:

Ok, gonna try with seasame oil instead. Also he goes way heavier on the garlic/rice ratio which is why my stuff probably tastes bland. (I love garlic just kind of conservative cooking with it)

Is there a particular type of short grain he's using or will any ole type do?

The YouTube page I linked is all about the stupid expensive wagyu beef blah blah blah $250 teppanyaki stuff so that particular rice is probably some fancy hand picked and polished by monks in a 5th century temple.

I use anything from calrose (which I guess is technically a medium grain) to fancy rear end Korean short grain I was gifted and it all works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Those of you using sodium citrate for your cheese. Are you just kind of eye balling it or are you doing it by weight to cheese ratio? I've got a bag of the stuff and could probably use it more but it's difficult to find good instruction. If there a basic cheese sauce recipe that you follow, like X cheese in Y hot water with Z citrate?