Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yes? I ran for mayor and attended city council meetings.

this is kinda why the "bush is a normal guy" thing is appealing. Most of you are megalomaniacs who don't deserve the power you so desperately crave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah when I was 16 I sought to make decisions about the lives of tens of thousands of people and attended meetings with hopes of getting involved in local power struggles. Also I played videogames so it's OK I had a lot of free time!! no scope headshot lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

I like Harry Potter and all but the wizards are some feudalistic shithead hoarders. Why are there poor wizards at all?

Why doesn't Harry ever take some of his massive gold hoard and just anonymously send Ron some cool stuff and new clothes for Christmas? Rons too proud to take a new wand for a year or a cool broomstick?

What's the deal with enslaving non-human magical creatures and why is Hermione painted as an idiot for going against the natural order wrt house elves?

Money in Harry Potter is code for Capital.

Why are the Weasleys poor despite having Capital? They're poor by the standards of 'wizards' - that is, they're grubby new rich, not legitimate old money. They live in a huge impractical house with a ridiculous roofline - that is, a mcmansion. Petunia Dursley resents Harry because her sister married into money, then structured the trust fund so that Harry got everything in the event of her death. Petunia didn't get any money to deal with the financial costs of raising her sister's kid, which makes her dislike of Harry lovely, but understandable.

This explains a lot of other things about the setting too, including the fact that wizards *could* solve all muggle problems, but don't do poo poo.

Tunicate has issued a correction as of 07:50 on Mar 4, 2019

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

in a post-scarcity world of magic there shouldn't even be loving STORES, much less mansions and slavery.

ah hello i can make hellfire erupt from my fingers and conjure matter out of thin air. one beer please. i have a gold coin here for you so i can drink this beer, legally.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i cant believe the magic isnt realistic

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

i cant believe the magic isnt realistic

it's about the disease of the liberal mind, op. like how modern sci fi is all about like, let's mine asteroids bc there's no reason for us to do future stuff unless there's a margin in it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like your wildest fantasy setting with magic artifacts and elves and poo poo has all the same social structures as ours to the detriment of everyone involved

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Like your wildest fantasy setting with magic artifacts and elves and poo poo has all the same social structures as ours to the detriment of everyone involved

magicpunk

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

it's about the disease of the liberal mind, op. like how modern sci fi is all about like, let's mine asteroids bc there's no reason for us to do future stuff unless there's a margin in it

this is fundamentally nonsense though, sci-fi is pretty much always about current society/current social anxieties, and while projecting current social/economic structures forward may (or may not) be the more uncreative/myopic/boring/non-sensical approach, most of the sci-fi that posits alternative social/economic structures is doing so in direct reaction to current society as a critique or way of exploring alternatives

fantasy isn't quite the same beast, but often has similar undertones and while harry potter isn't particularly good, the pastiche setting it creates is absolutely fine/functional in letting Rowling comment on modern society (and make stupid puns like spell-o-tape that only really worked in the UK), which she does quite a bit re: things like media relations, government bureaucracy, etc.

the message/subtext being HP conveys is often downright reprehensible ofc, but the fact that a particular piece of fiction happens to be reactionary isn't really a reason to get all prescriptivist about how sci-fi or fantasy should be depicting alternate societies

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
you could just magic your brain with stimulations like the matrix

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's just very boring. i understand WHY that stuff is done but that doesn't make it any less boring. it would be nice to see authors come up with new problems for their new worlds once in a while.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

it's just very boring. i understand WHY that stuff is done but that doesn't make it any less boring. it would be nice to see authors come up with new problems for their new worlds once in a while.

oh yeah for sure, I'm not saying it's not bad fiction, I'm just saying that sci-fi/fantasy works that are essentially pastiches of current society with fantastic elements is not some sort of weird capitalism-inspired brain disease or something

not even True Communism is going to save you from bad genre fiction, an equitable society with abundant leisure time would probably produce even more of it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

R. Guyovich posted:

They do, and it's dismissed as juvenile genre fiction with no relatable elements because it's all about fighting evil magic robots and not about real problems

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Baslag fantasy owns

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

LGD posted:

oh yeah for sure, I'm not saying it's not bad fiction, I'm just saying that sci-fi/fantasy works that are essentially pastiches of current society with fantastic elements is not some sort of weird capitalism-inspired brain disease or something

not even True Communism is going to save you from bad genre fiction, an equitable society with abundant leisure time would probably produce even more of it

my wife reads chinese webnovels & they sound loving wild so what now buddy

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
also star trek was sci fi that was about topical issues but the hypothetically advanced society actually made a basic attempt to be advanced. idk dude.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like pretty much all the beloved classic sci-fi people actually remember is basically fairy tales in space or Seussian morality plays where you go to the euthanasia planet to tell a story about euthanasia and discuss the right to die on your own terms instead of drawn out unpredictable agony, or to the opioid addiction star system or so on and somesuch

A lot of it comes from eras where conservative media and censorship meant you couldn't talk about real issues frankly, but with a fantastic allegory you can talk about them with more detail and nuance and the people who'd complain generally won't notice but the people who can take a lesson from it can find an easy way to start thinking about it.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like pretty much all the beloved classic sci-fi people actually remember is basically fairy tales in space or Seussian morality plays where you go to the euthanasia planet to tell a story about euthanasia and discuss the right to die on your own terms instead of drawn out unpredictable agony, or to the opioid addiction star system or so on and somesuch

A lot of it comes from eras where conservative media and censorship meant you couldn't talk about real issues frankly, but with a fantastic allegory you can talk about them with more detail and nuance and the people who'd complain generally won't notice but the people who can take a lesson from it can find an easy way to start thinking about it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i've said it before and i'll say it again: discworld is the only fantasy series where magic is treated in a realistic way (i.e. the state pays the wizards to kindly not do any magic)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i've said it before and i'll say it again: discworld is the only fantasy series where magic is treated in a realistic way (i.e. the state pays the wizards to kindly not do any magic)

That sad cat webcomic did say this is more or less how it works in at least one Elder Scrolls region where the Mage's Guild boils down to welfare for magic users to give them something else to do than go on rage and rejection fuelled massacres once they figure out how to shoot fireballs.

In a setting with any brains this is also probably what X-Men would be.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, in the Harry Potter universe, the wizards went on a campaign of normie subjugation and enslavement only about four times within living memory, but apparently nobody outside the magic community remembers of cares.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

They also can just portal into the Prime Minister's office and tell him where to get off whenever they want, and do so at least twice in them books.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When you reaaaaaally think about it, Cinderella doesn't make any drat sense!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Just read animorphs people, the aliens are fleshed out and the politics are cooler

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I started rereading Asimov's Caves of Steel and in it Earth has become an ecologically devasted planet where everyone lives in massive all inside cities ("caves of steel") and robots are taking their jobs which causes them to lose their ration card rank and they have to go live in lovely shelters and live off yeast product. Thus tensions are high and people are rioting over robot workers in shoe stores and whatever. There are space colonies where the Spacers just have robots do all the work and live lives of relative luxury and leisure and they are all "wtf is wrong with Earth." They also kind of gloat a bit because for hundreds of years Earth kept them in an imperialist grip but now the tables have turned and they have all the cool spaceships and poo poo and Earth sucks.

it owns that he wrote that in the 50s lol

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Mar 4, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Raytheon/status/880497266255175685

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/CraniumApparel/status/1101830061055860741

https://twitter.com/CraniumApparel/status/1102432719919755265

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

lmao a dress

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

You broads like stuff that shows off your gams, right? #gamesandgams

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'skin friendly' is a worrying qualifier for clothing

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How hard would it have been to hire a woman to design some gendered clothing for the esports scene lol

it's like a cheerleader dress

Brother Entropy posted:

'skin friendly' is a worrying qualifier for clothing

I'm assuming it means it is like underarmor and whatever versus just like soaking in a sweaty outfit after 10 hours of a gaming tournament and getting a rash

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hash tag womenine sports.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I love the "Oh yeah we've heard :females: love dresses with pockets thing"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

LionYeti posted:

I love the "Oh yeah we've heard :females: love dresses with pockets thing"

The pockets are where you store your gamer "food"

Dec 26, 2012

nuts of destruction

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

30.5 Days posted:

my wife reads chinese webnovels & they sound loving wild so what now buddy

Korean webtoons can be pretty awesome.

Tower of God is mostly about how people carve out insignificant little fiefdoms that keep everyone below them down to grasp at what little power they can, when we should be empowering each other to reach the heavens.

These fiefdoms do not survive contact with the shonen protagonist, whose superpowers literally come from being an immigrant.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

01011001 posted:

nuts of destruction

thats what its called when superman cums

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
its taken me the better part of several hours and i only just realised that womeninesports is meant to be women in esports and not womenine sports or wome nine sports or women ine sports because they just slammed it in all caps lmao

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

cenotaph posted:

You broads like stuff that shows off your gams, right? #gamesandgams
yeeah lmao
https://youtu.be/HLAJ9qZviM0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747