Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish here. It will be pretty clear that the reviews are completely inaccurate seeing as the people doing it earlier were just constantly straight up lying about content. Also does the general public actually even check something like RT user reviews? Nobody I know ever talks about looking at that poo poo as part of their movie choosing experience. Most people I know just go off of promotional material (commercials and trailers.)

Yeah I don't think people care all that much, it just helps Disney/Marvel if they can put a commercial out like a week after release and say "go see the #1 movie in the country as rated by RT!"

It's not like they're gonna say "go see the shittiest movie of all time as voted by RT!" if the reviews are low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When I give my negative review in a couple of days, know that it's cause I'm a joyless snob, not a misogynist :)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I glance at RT scores if I'm undecided on a film. I don't take them seriously at all because its the internet and that means its a lot of obsessive assholes who are either making over the top positive or over the top negative reviews. But like if I'm 50/50 on watching something I might look just to get a push.

That almost never applies to a big movie like Captain Marvel though. I'll know enough about that to make a call on my own. Usually its just for movies I'm not super familiar with and am just looking for any excuse to say yes or no to watching.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish here. It will be pretty clear that the reviews are completely inaccurate seeing as the people doing it earlier were just constantly straight up lying about content. Also does the general public actually even check something like RT user reviews? Nobody I know ever talks about looking at that poo poo as part of their movie choosing experience. Most people I know just go off of promotional material (commercials and trailers.)

This just made me wonder, how does RT make money? Is it all just advertisers?

I'm just trying to figure out what made someone at RT stand up now and say "Pre-release reviews from people who couldn't have possibly seen the movie yet are bullshit. We should curb that". Change doesn't happen with something like this unless enough people are threatening to cut off cash flow.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CzarChasm posted:

This just made me wonder, how does RT make money? Is it all just advertisers?

I'm just trying to figure out what made someone at RT stand up now and say "Pre-release reviews from people who couldn't have possibly seen the movie yet are bullshit. We should curb that". Change doesn't happen with something like this unless enough people are threatening to cut off cash flow.

Used to be that people who were fans of a property or actor would post positive reviews months in advance so even if the film opened to mediocre critic reviews there would be a high audience score.

They didn't get concerned about fake audience reviews until they started being negative.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean giant tentpole money machine films being review bombed probably put financial pressure on someone somewhere. If Disney or whoever even loses .5% sales because of a bunch of angry internet sexists loving with the review scores, that's still a lot of loving money.

Of course Hollywood's been trying to destroy Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes for years because movies sometimes get completely deserved negative reviews which might also affect their sales, so I dunno.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

When I give my negative review in a couple of days, know that it's cause I'm a joyless snob, not a misogynist :)

Imagine going to see a movie you know you'll hate just to review it negatively

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SlimGoodbody posted:

cinemadiscusso.txt

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWFU3Gha50

New trailer for Shazam. I think it looks pretty good! Tentatively excited for this one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm goofin'. I totally hope I'll enjoy it.
I'd like to see a good Brie performance after Kong.

I wonder if the movie she directed two years ago will ever come out.
e: Shoulda looked that up first. It's gonna be on Netflix this year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn_Store#Release

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 4, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JordanKai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWFU3Gha50

New trailer for Shazam. I think it looks pretty good! Tentatively excited for this one.

I'm confused, I thought Mark Strong was supposed to be playing Sivana but that looked more like he has the same powers as Shazam.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
love those youtube algorithms

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1102630465918418945

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm confused, I thought Mark Strong was supposed to be playing Sivana but that looked more like he has the same powers as Shazam.

New 52 Sivana starts with some powers

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He gets magic zapped while opening Black Adam's tomb or something.
Hopefully it's revealed that he has Mr. Mind hanging out in his ear/brain.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Dr. Sivana doesn’t have any powers.

Mark Strong does.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/DonCheadle/status/1102622169132032000

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In case it's not clear what the quoted account is:

https://twitter.com/LeCinephiles/status/1102310394213748736

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
for real tho, i support more don cheadle in my movies

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Don Cheadle would be a way better Deadshot than Will Smith was. I'd actually be interested in that movie.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I do like how Cheadle himself replied to the rumor

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A whole new squad (other than Harley, obviously) is probably best.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Teenage Fansub posted:

A whole new squad (other than Harley, obviously) is probably best.

Well, it's right there in the title.

Harley will be their HUNK.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gonna go see Captain Marvel this saturday morning. Mostly posting it because I remembered it was coming this weekend via some idiot tweeting about how Disney has strongarmed all the cinemas near him to only show Captain Marvel that weekend, actually unable to understand that the full movie schedule for his theater doesn't go up until the middle of the week.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
There's all kinds of poo poo like that out there. Some people claiming that Disney is refusing to refund Captain Marvel tickets when it wouldn't even be Disney that is responsible for doing that, and so on. It's very very very stupid.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Same energy:

https://twitter.com/chandlerriggs/status/785209094772842497

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Shazam looks look pretty good and like a lot of fun.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, Shazam looks super fun, can't wait. Zachary Levi was the perfect dude to cast.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Yeah, Shazam looks super fun, can't wait. Zachary Levi was the perfect dude to cast.

Agreed. Kind of a shame Marvel wasted him as a glorified extra in the second Thor movie and then (I think) killed him off in the third. I'm sure there's a character he coulda carried a movie as.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So my wife and I booked tickets to see Captain Marvel for my birthday this weekend. And I'm looking forward to it.

But while doing so I had a shocking revelation.
My first daughter was born in 2008. Back then Ironman and The Hulk had come out.

My soon to be born second daughter (and my wives first child) will be born this summer by which time Spider-man: Far from Home will have come out.

My first kid was a Phase 1 kid.
My second child will be a Phase 4 child.

We are at the stage where needs are having kids that line up with the MCU.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1102851643039657984

:unsmith:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BiggerBoat posted:

Shazam looks look pretty good and like a lot of fun.

Be careful of the toys. They have spoilers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Toys are so loving wild. Last year I was at Meijer going to pick up toothpaste when I turn around and see that Stormbringer was in Infinity War and would be an ax with a part of Groot as the handle.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Teenage Fansub posted:

He gets magic zapped while opening Black Adam's tomb or something.
Hopefully it's revealed that he has Mr. Mind hanging out in his ear/brain.

No comment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite instance of this is "I just saw the action figures for X-Men Origins: Wolverine and I have some bad news about Deadpool..."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We never got The Mandarin in a battle hovercraft at the end of IM3 :negative:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We never got The Mandarin in a battle hovercraft at the end of IM3 :negative:

Oh, did they make toys of that? That just makes me love that twist even more

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arist posted:

Oh, did they make toys of that? That just makes me love that twist even more

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tonight the role of the Mandarin will be played by Alan Moore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember Lego spoiling Giant Man in Civil War, too