Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Just got an offer for 6.95 for 3 months

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Hey, awhile back I was trying to find audiobooks of Camus's work. Didn't have much luck in English but now UK Audible has added a couple English langauge works including the Plague and the Stranger.

Thought Id mention it if anyone else is interested in that.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Has anyone had issues with chapters playing out of order? I have an audiobook I've redownloaded a few times with the same result each time. While it reads as Chapter 1 in the Audible app, I get the "This is Audible" announcement and then playback goes midway into what's actually chapter 5 at least. Seems like it's only happened with one audiobook in my library that I know of, but it's one I've finished, deleted, and redownloaded to my Android phone if that matters.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Maybe it was downloading and once it caught up to where you last listened (or where you think you last listened) it jumped there.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mister Facetious posted:

:siren: You can gift books of your choice to other people again! :siren:

I knew my bitching to their customer support and FB pages would pay off! :woop:

Now if only they would fix upcoming releases and when you select newest arrivals have it sort automatically so it shows the soon to be released books first, instead of some poo poo that's coming out in 2020.

*Just checked*

Turns out newest arrivals isn't working at all right now on upcoming releases who knows maybe they tried to fix it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Has anyone had issues with chapters playing out of order? I have an audiobook I've redownloaded a few times with the same result each time. While it reads as Chapter 1 in the Audible app, I get the "This is Audible" announcement and then playback goes midway into what's actually chapter 5 at least. Seems like it's only happened with one audiobook in my library that I know of, but it's one I've finished, deleted, and redownloaded to my Android phone if that matters.

I haven't experienced this myself, but I've seen reviews mention it. Check reviews of the book in question maybe? I remember seeing something that suggested it was an issue in some of the single-file downloads of books that were initially multi-part downloads.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Didn't see this article posted here

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-releases-six-free-celebrity-narrated-audiobooks/

I might check out Wizard of Oz but I feel like he isn't going to read as his Kimmy Schmidt character

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Good Evening fellow goons. I'm looking for some mystery or detective audiobook recommendations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Good Evening fellow goons. I'm looking for some mystery or detective audiobook recommendations.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union is a really good neo-noir (or neo-hardboiled I guess?) story with a neat alt-history spin.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 3, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ghouldaddy07 posted:

The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez. I think it's technically YA, but it's really fun.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I have yet to listen to it, but audible has the sherlock holmes stories read by Stephen Fry that clocks in around 60 hours. It has been in my library for years. I really should press play on that some time. I've only read a story or two in my life, and that was in school.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ghouldaddy07 posted:

There is a brilliant version of the moonstone by Wilkie Collins if you want to go back to the beginning of the genre, and the Campion and Lord Peter Whimsey books are also fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ghouldaddy07 posted:

The Third Policeman

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

precision posted:

The Third Policeman

Does this work well with all the footnotes?

It's an amazing book and holds a very special place in my heart -- a conversation about it at a bar is literally the reason my parents met (and hence kinda why I exist) but there are lots of footnote digressions that might not play well in audio?

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Much obliged folks.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I would recommend the Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling) Cormoran Strike books. Fantastic narrations by Robert Glenister.

mystes
May 31, 2006

XBenedict posted:

I would recommend the Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling) Cormoran Strike books. Fantastic narrations by Robert Glenister.
Speaking of which, I hadn't realized that the fourth book finally came out.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

mystes posted:

Speaking of which, I hadn't realized that the fourth book finally came out.

It's quite good. She's really starting to fill Strike and Robin out a bit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

XBenedict posted:

It's quite good. She's really starting to fill Strike and Robin out a bit.
I'm actually really glad to hear that because that was probably my biggest complaint about the third book: in general I think I liked it better than the second book, but it didn't seem like the characters were actually developed much and this was starting to make the series feel a little bit repetitive.

Now I just have to decide whether to wait for it on Overdrive or buy it from audible.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez. I think it's technically YA, but it's really fun.

Really enjoying this one. The absurd setting combined with the Noir plot works really well.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Anyone else listen to the last days of August? The audible original

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

I've listened to a lot of A. Lee Martinez, including this one. They're all pretty fun and absurd.

"Emperor Mollusk Versus The Sinister Brain" is my favorite, I think.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I loved that one. Hell, I love them all. My collection is a mix between Kindle and Audible, since the narrators can be hit or miss.

I've been listening to a ton of C.T. Phipps lately.
Great narrators for all of his stuff and his stories are all enjoyable, but he suffers from Ready Player One syndrome; he can't stop with pop culture references (or bizarre snipes at Pratchett) even when chronologically improbable, like his Teenage Weredeer series (20-40 year old references by a woman under 20).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 29, 2019

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I bought Marx's Capital around summer and only just finished it, mostly through sheer stubbornness. Remind me not to get any more books laden with tables, formulas, lists and footnotes*.

*Footnote: So many footnotes. End of footnote.

Cleansing my pallet with a collection of Stephen King short stories.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I'm now listening to the other audible original, "The man on the mountaintop". I'm enjoying it as well.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If anyone's interested, Walmart is now in the audiobook game via kobo. The cost is $9.99 compared to Audible's $14.99 but the selection will probably be worse.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/audiobooks

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That'll be a given, since Audible/Amazon is probably a larger publisher of audiobooks than everyone else combined.

That said, Kobo has a referral bonus in the hamburger menu and offers price matching, so yay for competition in the marketplace. And they already have a Canadian store (with less content per genre because yeah). :toot:

Dr. Lucien Sanchez
Jan 19, 2011

Hardawn posted:

Anyone else listen to the last days of August? The audible original

It's really well done, as always with Ronson. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more of a reception here, as I believe one of the principal characters was a goon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was going to grab the book White Trash: The 400 Year History of Class in America until I skimmed the top review, and grabbed Fantasyland instead.
It was a very interesting listen, especially after being recommended the podcast "The Dream" about Multilevel Marketing scams.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Got an email for a free credit, so check your emails yo!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

I was going to grab the book White Trash: The 400 Year History of Class in America until I skimmed the top review, and grabbed Fantasyland instead.
It was a very interesting listen, especially after being recommended the podcast "The Dream" about Multilevel Marketing scams.

White Trash is actually an interesting book. The Audio presentation is a bit dry though...even for nonfiction.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I just finished A People’s Tragedy by Orlando Figes about the Russian Revolution. Since this topic is barely mentioned let alone covered in American schools I learned A LOT and recommend it as long as you can take dense histories. The author never goes on about anything overlong, there’s just a TON of poo poo that went down between 1890 and 1924 in Russia. My takeaway is that the Russians are a cursed people who haven’t really caught a break in like 400 years...

I’d like to continue on with the history. Anyone got any recommendations for history of the USSR from the rise of Stalin to, say, the end of WW2?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Lordshmee posted:

I just finished A People’s Tragedy by Orlando Figes about the Russian Revolution. Since this topic is barely mentioned let alone covered in American schools I learned A LOT and recommend it as long as you can take dense histories. The author never goes on about anything overlong, there’s just a TON of poo poo that went down between 1890 and 1924 in Russia. My takeaway is that the Russians are a cursed people who haven’t really caught a break in like 400 years...

I’d like to continue on with the history. Anyone got any recommendations for history of the USSR from the rise of Stalin to, say, the end of WW2?

That reminded me I was gonna listen to russian rulers podcasrt, which already has 160 episodes apparently.
It seems to be rather poorly recorded, though.
At least in the beginning.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Just finished The Anubis Gates read by Bronson Pinchot, did not expect Balki to be so talented.
His different accents were all spot on and almost every character sounded unique.
Also the book is a good example of time travel done correctly imo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Bronson Pinchot did an excellent job on The 13 and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers.

Dude is a LEGIT audiobook narrator.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

He might be too good; I bought a Larry Correia fantasy book set in the Prohibition era (Hard Magic) for a couple bucks, and Bronson does the period vernacular so well I can't follow it... :ironicat: :sigh:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

jeeves posted:

The 13 and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers.

Oh poo poo, there's an audiobook?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

XBenedict posted:

White Trash is actually an interesting book. The Audio presentation is a bit dry though...even for nonfiction.

I'll second that, but I didnt notice the narration being all that. I thought the reader was pleasant enough and seemed even a bit wry in her reading of descriotions. But I read a lot of pretty dry histories via audiobooks. Now more than ever with a 3 hour round trip commute :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hello, I'm looking for the best audiobook version of the Harry Potter books to listen to while stoned out of one's mind.

Not Wizard People, Dear Reader, that's only the first book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What are the best histories and historical texts in Audible?