Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

brucio posted:

So.. what's the LPC constitution say about replacing a party leader? Caucus can't do it, can they?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think this is especially pronounced in the LPC at the moment - after Trudeau became PM, he moved very briskly to consolidate power within the party and overhauled the party constitution to effectively abolish decision making authority in the party outside the leader's office, so it's not super clear what it means to be a Liberal without supporting the leader.

Since the 2016 changes, there is no mechanism in the LPC constitution for replacing the leader if the leader is Prime Minister. Caucus can't do it, the national executive can't do it, the leader isn't subject to a confidence vote at convention.

Presumably there's some threshold of caucus revolt that would convince a leader to resign - presumably JT would rather resign than face, say, losing a VONC in the House, but no way to force him out via the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Helsing posted:

The worst part is that expectations for Jagmeet are now set so low that it should be comparatively easy for him to eke out a better than expected showing in the next election, which would make it way harder to kick him out afterward. Just like how we should all be extremely pissed at Horwath for losing the election but instead we're stuck with her as leader for at least one more cycle even though she's terrible and blew the best chance she'll ever get at winning.

theres a real opportunity here with the conservative vote getting split with bernier's fascists, but the ndp is somehow going to gently caress it up

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1102694937550876673
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I feel like getting rid of JT now would make a bad situation worse for the libs. but I'm no expert

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
apparently that guy's career before politics was in public relations? lmao

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

THC posted:

I feel like getting rid of JT now would make a bad situation worse for the libs. but I'm no expert

Situation is going to get worse either way.

Trudeau might be able to survive with a mea culpa and a few more scapegoats but this poo poo:

isn't going to staunch the bleeding.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Who would even replace Trudeau at this point? Freeland seems like an obvious choice and I think she can win... who else could take over?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

EngineerJoe posted:

Who would even replace Trudeau at this point? Freeland seems like an obvious choice and I think she can win... who else could take over?

I want it to be a true fairy-tale story. I want it to be Wilson-Raybould.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

A female indigenous prime minister would be a hell of a (good) thing.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
So were not getting an election until like november right?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Helsing posted:

The worst part is that expectations for Jagmeet are now set so low that it should be comparatively easy for him to eke out a better than expected showing in the next election, which would make it way harder to kick him out afterward. Just like how we should all be extremely pissed at Horwath for losing the election but instead we're stuck with her as leader for at least one more cycle even though she's terrible and blew the best chance she'll ever get at winning.

Horwatch actually ran an OK campaign this time around. I'm still annoyed about the way she ran things the election before last, but Wynne was way more of a villain in the last election.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Dark One posted:

Horwatch actually ran an OK campaign this time around. I'm still annoyed about the way she ran things the election before last, but Wynne was way more of a villain in the last election.

Yeah the most recent election was the provincial Liberal party proving they would rather help elect right wing fascists by spending their entire election campaign attacking the NDP and not the Cons.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Dark One posted:

We're one day from her decade anniversary as leader. Somebody should order her a congrats Horwatch cake.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah the most recent election was the provincial Liberal party proving they would rather help elect right wing fascists by spending their entire election campaign attacking the NDP and not the Cons.

In fairness, they were spectacularly successful. They managed to avoid their worst fears, an NDP majority.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Dark One posted:

Horwatch actually ran an OK campaign this time around.

she still pulled punches and was way too nice to Ford, at one point he said something like he was "afraid" of a possible NDP government and her response was like "no, nothing to fear, we're all about hope love and courage here"

should have been "yes Doug Ford you should be afraid, very afraid you loving daddy's-boy gangster thug"

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 5, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

We're one day from her decade anniversary as leader. Somebody should order her a congrats Horwatch cake.

She is by far the most successful ONDP leader since Bob Rae!*

*More successful if you look at total votes cast

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Im really starting to dislike Singh, doesn't he realize the importance of tweeting

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Trudeau's speaking in Toronto and it was a little chaotic, a few people tried to rush the stage

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

EngineerJoe posted:

Trudeau's speaking in Toronto and it was a little chaotic, a few people tried to rush the stage

For real? gently caress I missed it

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

For real? gently caress I missed it

It's hard to tell what was going on, I don't think you missed much really...

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I heard a report that animal rights activists were disrupting things?

Bit disappointing if that's true, I was hoping for something more... relevant?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Blood Boils posted:

Im really starting to dislike Singh, doesn't he realize the importance of tweeting

I don't know if this is ironic or not but for a party leader he does not get online or in front of cameras nearly as quickly and as often as he should. And when he does he never delivers anything with much bite.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Blood Boils posted:

This but unironically. AOC has energized the American left by being extremely online and she doesn't even need to fundraise all she needs to do is keep tweeting

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Eej posted:

This but unironically. AOC has energized the American left by being extremely online and she doesn't even need to fundraise all she needs to do is keep tweeting

This means we'll get our very own extremely online left politician in 3-5 years, can't wait!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Gorewar posted:

This means we'll get our very own extremely online left politician in 3-5 years, can't wait!

Canadian Twitch gamer Shroud will return home to run for office!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Unfortunately for Jagmeet, he had the best snapchat game in Canadian politics.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Le Saboteur posted:

I don't know if this is ironic or not but for a party leader he does not get online or in front of cameras nearly as quickly and as often as he should. And when he does he never delivers anything with much bite.

Only going to get worse now that he regrettably has an actual job

Niki would have won

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Only going to get worse now that he regrettably has an actual job

Niki would have won

I believe my ranked ballet in the leadership race was Charlie, Niki, Guy, Jagmeet so yeah I would have been good with Charlie or Niki.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Le Saboteur posted:

I believe my ranked ballet in the leadership race was Charlie, Niki, Guy, Jagmeet so yeah I would have been good with Charlie or Niki.

:same:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Le Saboteur posted:

Nikki, Charlie, Guy, Jagmeet here. Charlie or Nikki both seemed true to the left base.

Though really I want PM Saganash.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

See, almost every party member I spoke to had Jagmeet around dead last on their ranked ballot so I still am baffled how he won at such a high margin.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Y'all are a bunch of commie weirdos and the true NDP base is basically centrist as heck?

Alternatively, IRV favours moderate centrists.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 5, 2019

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
You gotta squint pretty hard to imagine Angus or Ashton as the next Sanders/Corbyn/AOC, their hearts are in the right place but they've been playing ball with the party for so long they couldn't muster up a real counter narrative when Singh arrived to take back the party for the moderates (from the moderates).

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Le Saboteur posted:

See, almost every party member I spoke to had Jagmeet around dead last on their ranked ballot so I still am baffled how he won at such a high margin.

Charlie, Jagmeet, Guy, Nikki - Boobgate and "gendered lens" bullshit really pissed me off.

And then she stood her ground on the Palestine issue. I feel like such a chump now.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Le Saboteur posted:

Jagmeet signed up a bunch of members who did nothing in the party except vote for him and then hosed off. So all the party faithful (and even the critics who have nowhere else to go) are now stuck with him despite most not actually supporting him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/council-approves-funding-structure-for-1-5-billion-in-long-term-projects-including-events-centre-1.4321425

I thought this got axed in a vote?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

thehoodie posted:

Jagmeet signed up a bunch of members who did nothing in the party except vote for him and then hosed off. So all the party faithful (and even the critics who have nowhere else to go) are now stuck with him despite most not actually supporting him.

Singh had the most caucus support during the campaign (eg. Cullen, Kennedy Stewart, Jenny Kwan). He was particularly strong in support amongst MPs in Vancouver and Toronto, and had the most urban focused agenda, which is probably why he won.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Le Saboteur posted:

Oh god now I'm picturing them all in tights.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

Oh god now I'm picturing them all in tights.

.... Big Changus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

...Meanwhile in Ontario

https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1102633020803244032

I'd like to think this would be getting more coverage if the Liberals weren't busy melting down over SNC Lavalin, but probably not.