Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Lote posted:

Question for the Federal peeps. How hosed is Stone?

https://twitter.com/zoetillman/status/1102682611862908928

PS. Did we say pending release? We mean to say the print version is upcoming. It’s already out online.

Edit: I'm sure this is coincidental but the title to the book is "Who Framed Roger Stone?" The answer to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" is the Judge.

relase

(together with the )

Best loving attorneys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lote posted:

Question for the Federal peeps. How hosed is Stone?

https://twitter.com/zoetillman/status/1102682611862908928

PS. Did we say pending release? We mean to say the print version is upcoming. It’s already out online.

Edit: I'm sure this is coincidental but the title to the book is "Who Framed Roger Stone?" The answer to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" is the Judge.

The book is an attorney fuckup the Instagram thing though is going to get him thrown in jail.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Firstname,

Thank you very much for applying for the position. I regret to relay that for the past week or so we have been in the process of making an offer to another applicant. I do want to say that you have very impressive credentials, and we wish you continued success. Should something change on our end, I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks,
Sr. Associate

Sucks that you're getting such a lovely deal lately dude. Don't give up on yourself.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
That seriously sucks Mr. Nice! and I hope you find something that makes you happy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Eh it is what it is. I’ll figure it out. I do have some good things in my life to counterbalance the lovely parts of being broke and unemployed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Start making Let's Plays and become a social media influencer.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

Job update: The guy promised a lot of sweet stuff and offered me a position. I typed up what we had discussed in a "this letter confirms..." letter. Dude got super weird and rescinded the offer.

Bullet dodged.

Bullet dodged, indeed. Good instincts.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Roger_Mudd posted:

Job update: The guy promised a lot of sweet stuff and offered me a position. I typed up what we had discussed in a "this letter confirms..." letter. Dude got super weird and rescinded the offer.

Bullet dodged.

Wow I’m shocked at this turn of events

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

Bullet dodged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C69AHs87zXw

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eh it is what it is. I’ll figure it out. I do have some good things in my life to counterbalance the lovely parts of being broke and unemployed.

I had a long period of struggling in a solo practice doing work I didn't like and feeling like I wouldn't find any legal positions. I'll admit that I thought that I would never get anywhere, and that I was doomed. It took a long, long time and a lot of persistence and a lot of applications and a lot of rejection before it paid off. Today was my first day at my new job with the state.

I know that it's rough, and I know that it sucks. But you'll make it through this, I promise. Don't give up hope, don't give up trying. Don't give up. You're smart, you're skilled, and you're going to land on your feet. I know it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Teddybear posted:

I had a long period of struggling in a solo practice doing work I didn't like and feeling like I wouldn't find any legal positions. I'll admit that I thought that I would never get anywhere, and that I was doomed. It took a long, long time and a lot of persistence and a lot of applications and a lot of rejection before it paid off. Today was my first day at my new job with the state.

I know that it's rough, and I know that it sucks. But you'll make it through this, I promise. Don't give up hope, don't give up trying. Don't give up. You're smart, you're skilled, and you're going to land on your feet. I know it.

Thanks for the hope, I'm right where you were and I'm still in the "lot of rejection" part of events.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Looks like this will be the year when I'll start applying to US and Canadian law schools, because my bar association membership and 9 years of PQE were both earned in a second world country.

Am I correct in the assumption that work experience and LSAT will have to do the heavy lifting in my case, and that GPA will be pretty much irrelevant?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Ephemeron posted:

Am I correct in the assumption that work experience and LSAT will have to do the heavy lifting in my case, and that GPA will be pretty much irrelevant?

Both LSAT score and GPA matter. Work experience not so much.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
When I applied, the prep folks said LSAT/GPA were weighted about 70/30 respectively, but that was (goddamn) 13 years ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Is it the same for LLM and JD applicants, though?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Roger_Mudd posted:

Both LSAT score and GPA matter. Work experience not so much.
I see, thank you.

Is it just the undergrad GPA that is taken into account? (Mine is as bad as it is ancient, but I did get an LLM and an MBA since then.)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Ephemeron posted:

I see, thank you.

Is it just the undergrad GPA that is taken into account? (Mine is as bad as it is ancient, but I did get an LLM and an MBA since then.)

It's been over a decade since I really looked at this. Back then, the only thing schools cared about was their ranking in the US News Law School Rankings:

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings

They cared about the things that US News cared about and didn't care about anything else.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Has anyone beat the demo of supreme courtship yet?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

i beat it on the reg to twink Breyer, if thats what youre asking

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
"It" in this context refers to my hideously malformed genitals. Sorry for any confusion

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintel...v0CgEotNmJqkIg/

Thomas And Gorsuch Issue Dissent That Calls Into Question The Right To Counsel

"Gideon v. Wainwright (1963) guaranteed the right to counsel for those charged with criminal offenses.

Justices Thomas and Gorsuch have called into question the constitutionality of Gideon, a cornerstone of the criminal justice system."

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Vox Nihili posted:

"Gideon v. Wainwright (1963) guaranteed the right to counsel for those charged with criminal offenses.

Justices Thomas and Gorsuch have called into question the constitutionality of Gideon, a cornerstone of the criminal justice system."

Hmmm maybe they are accelerationists?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Well that's one way to kill due process. You guys all going for some kind of record?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its funny how conservatives always forget that the Courts and Police are actually part of the government they claim to want to disenfranchise.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 5, 2019

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
https://twitter.com/popehat/status/1103013525142695936

:lol: not going well

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

for fans of watching people making tremendously bad decisions against the strong advice of counsel, this has already been a stellar year

you gotta read the whole order it gets much, much worse from there: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5759413/3-5-19-Order-Stone-Motion-to-Clarify.pdf

i was wrong, he's going to jail for this

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 5, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1103014522799968257

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Sorry Judge Jackson

for my book deeeeeal

Never meant to spill the beans and lie

hope you will go on and clarify

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

Sorry Judge Jackson

for my book deeeeeal

Never meant to spill the beans and lie

hope you will go on and clarify

Hahaha did you make this up? I’m stealing it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

for fans of watching people making tremendously bad decisions against the strong advice of counsel, this has already been a stellar year

you gotta read the whole order it gets much, much worse from there: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5759413/3-5-19-Order-Stone-Motion-to-Clarify.pdf

i was wrong, he's going to jail for this

jesus. That reminds me of the time a local lawyer no-showed a conference hearing for a guy's case. She called his office from the stand and unfortunately just got to leave a voicemail. It was still less than friendly.

It's always wonderful to watch a judge rip into someone else.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Whoa whoa whoa are they really going to jail Rodger Stone for the totally understandable mistake of accidebtally-on-purpose trying to circumvent a Court's gag order?!?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is just amazing

quote:

The Court then ordered the defendant to file an additional submission “identifying the specific date of the ‘imminent general release’ of the book.” Min. Order of Mar. 1, 2019.
On March 4, without providing any explanation for the misrepresentation in the motion, defendant informed the Court that the use of the word “imminent” had been a “misnomer” because the book is already for sale.

they decided to take a "sorry judge, you were too slow to rule on our motion to clarify so we just went ahead and did it" instead of a "sorry we goofed here is our groveling apology"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hahaha did you make this up? I’m stealing it

you have my permission

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

this is just amazing

they decided to take a "sorry judge, you were too slow to rule on our motion to clarify so we just went ahead and did it" instead of a "sorry we goofed here is our groveling apology"

My razor sharp legal acumen has determined that this was a bad idea.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I'm going to start referring to my lies as misnomers

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm at least willing to believe that Stone's lawyers were in the dark and Roger just dropped this poo poo on them because clients are the absolute worst.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Roger Stone is attempting to: A) de-legitimizing the criminal proceedings against him because he will lose but wants Trumps base to be supportive of a pardon; B) He's treating the proceedings as a marketing event; or C) all of the above. The Judge's scolding really doesn't scare him because he has a pardon in his back pocket. (See Joe Arpaio) The harder she is on him, the more $$$ he makes.

I can see the claims now:

"In America, there is only one author in jail because of his book; buy the book they don't want you to read!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

Roger Stone is attempting to: A) de-legitimizing the criminal proceedings against him because he will lose but wants Trumps base to be supportive of a pardon; B) He's treating the proceedings as a marketing event; or C) all of the above. The Judge's scolding really doesn't scare him because he has a pardon in his back pocket. (See Joe Arpaio) The harder she is on him, the more $$$ he makes.

I can see the claims now:

"In America, there is only one author in jail because of his book; buy the book they don't want you to read!"

yeah but in the interim, he goes to jail

and trump isn't gonna pardon him until there's something in it for trump himself and right now, there's not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
She has some pretty big leeway with bond though right? She could forfeit his bond and require him to pay more and that won’t be affected by a pardon?