Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

How many of you lawyers are happy?

How many of you are in public defense?

How many of you would do something different if you could hop in a time machine?

No, but mostly because I'm unemployed and it's feeling really hard to find new work and start again. I felt pretty happy when I was getting paid and not being ethically compromised

No, though I was previously in a very closely related field (worked in a community services charity legal firm that had a criminal defense department) and I would be very open to going back to work for them in that department

Yes, but mostly because I would have taken a more measured approach to uni and worked out what fields were actually in demand for graduates instead of sticking to the disgustingly flooded legal market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

How many of you would do something different if you could hop in a time machine?

Happy in spite of what I do for a living

No

Yes

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

Eh. My wife and dog and friends are amazing. My clients legitimately love me. My job is loving brutal.

Nope.

Yes. I'd go work for a big corporation.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

Yes, very happy. My Biglaw job doesn't offer much in terms of independent decision making, so that can get a bit frustrating/boring. But, my last job had plenty of that and I'm still learning a lot so I don't mind it for a few years. Plus, the money for what I do is absurd.

No. See supra "money."

No time machine for me. I worked while waiting out the lovely legal market around 2010-2014 (thanks thread!) then went part time and made it to Biglaw with prior work experience and zero debt. I get a little nervous that I don't know my next move yet, but that's small potatoes and I'm totally playing with house money at this point.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

EwokEntourage posted:

Please post the plans for your ideal bath / weight / bjj training combo room

I want to see your weight bench / toilet / bjj training station ideas
I'll have to sketch it but my dream workout room would have a full Rogue rack and flat bench, seamless wrestling mats and a full Octagon and ring.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
But where does the toilet go

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
How many studs do you have stabled for rolling sessions? Are they eating hay or are you springing for something w/ more nutritional content?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

How many studs do you have stabled for rolling sessions? Are they eating hay or are you springing for something w/ more nutritional content?

The modern term is associate not stud

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I feel like if you're in house and don't have enough time to play as many video games as you want you're doing something wrong not counting infinite time sinks like mmo's... that said I've been coasting in an IP department that doesn't really require me to give my all.

Oh for sure, that’s probably living the dream. My friends have been going in house to the same huge megacorp and they get every other Friday off.

Not to mention the psychological value of knowing that when you’re off work, you’re completely off.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

Yes.

God no.

Eh probably not?

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

Yes

Yes

It depends on when I could land. Right before I entered law school, I'd probably still go. Years before so I could make different decisions in my youth, yes.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

Not professionally, which bleeds heavily into personally.

No.

Yes, but only with the benefit of clairvoyance.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
gently caress it, I'll join in too.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

I think so, generally.

Nope, not even in law. I feel reasonably comfortable believing this is why I'm happy.

I'd probably still have gone to law school, but I would've gone for the double degree in Fine Art (Performance)/Law, rather than Arts/Law. Although my BA was majoring in politics and minoring in a language, which have both been useful to my current job, so who knows.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

Yes, but it took multiple bar exams and years of unemployment.

Did it during law school, no longer - now in non profit work.

Oh my god yes, goddamn - or at least gone about it differently. Only good thing I did was taking a full ride.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Cool:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article227026334.html#storylink=topdigest_latest

You might look more credible if your office had ever charged a cop for shooting anyone ever. If there's a riot, there's no chance it will happen in the suburbs that re-elected her.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Gosh darn it, it's not clear that Supreme Courtship's kickstarter is going to succeed.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yuns posted:

We're looking to move so our bathroom is a boring suburban bathroom. No insane remodeling. YET.

Also nice piece of fish,. I know you are Norwegian not Swedish but I just got this delivery from Sweden.

The Oden is strong as hell.

Did not know there was whisky snus. Don't know if they even sell that, as ads/commercials for tobacco and/or alcohol is prohibited and yes, the packaging itself is considered an ad.

This is what snus looks like here:

Also, I was never in the military so I never got hooked on it. I do know the handtalk sign for snus though since I was HVU (like, JROTC is the american equivalent I think? So, very much not the military even though they tossed us in with the enlisted because they didn't really have a program for us, hence handtalk).

The whole snus/tobacco thing is going away, though. Less and less people do it, even if the numbers are still strong among women. Almost nobody smokes anymore. So you know, enjoy them while the supply lasts I guess?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What’s the handtalk for snus?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What’s the handtalk for snus?

Right hand L above head, turns to hand gripping a snus case (some did full grip, some did thumb and pointer), then sometimes back to an L but that seemed pretty random. Then someone tosses you a snus (obv. cause you yourself are out). This may be region-specific, but I never saw anyone not get it even when I went an walked the Vierdaagse and there were guys from all over there.

E: This and how to walk really far/shoot a G3 accurately is pretty much the entire range of my military experience though so I don't know jack poo poo else. Except that "military grade" equipment sucks, people in the military loving steal a lot and AOAB (all officers are bastards).

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 3, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Anyone ever driven for a ridesharing company? :smith:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pretty good thread title IMO

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's this? Like that Uber thing? Don't know anything about it, it's illegal here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nice piece of fish posted:

What's this? Like that Uber thing? Don't know anything about it, it's illegal here.

Yeah. I need income and I'm feeling pretty desperate and hopeless.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Did you hear from the state job?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah. I need income and I'm feeling pretty desperate and hopeless.

Sorry to hear that, man. Unfortunately all my advice is useless and irrelevant to americans.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Did you hear from the state job?

I did not.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 4, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I did not.

Hey, I saw that pre-edit. Sorry poo poo sucks, man. It's okay to whine here, buddy, this lovely loving situation isn't unknown to us. It's not your fault that you haven't lucked out, but you're gonna find somewhere solid to land even if it's gonna suck before you do.

Want to hear about my depressing divorce or that summer when I didn't talk at all to anyone outside of my lovely store job?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Driving for Uber/Lyft fulltime is probably one of the most dangerous jobs in the country, aside from maybe fishing and lumberjack work.

So at least there's a decent chance you'd see an immediate resolution to any and all financial problems.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vox Nihili posted:

Driving for Uber/Lyft fulltime is probably one of the most dangerous jobs in the country, aside from maybe fishing and lumberjack work.

So at least there's a decent chance you'd see an immediate resolution to any and all financial problems.

I mean, who doesn't long for death's sweet embrace?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hey, I saw that pre-edit. Sorry poo poo sucks, man. It's okay to whine here, buddy, this lovely loving situation isn't unknown to us. It's not your fault that you haven't lucked out, but you're gonna find somewhere solid to land even if it's gonna suck before you do.

Want to hear about my depressing divorce or that summer when I didn't talk at all to anyone outside of my lovely store job?

I mean, if you wanna share some misery I don't think anyone is gonna stop you. I appreciate the long distance condolences. Life's a bitch and it's worse when you make bad choices. I'm a bad choice machine, it seems. At least I don't have any kids to worry about.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, if you wanna share some misery I don't think anyone is gonna stop you. I appreciate the long distance condolences. Life's a bitch and it's worse when you make bad choices. I'm a bad choice machine, it seems. At least I don't have any kids to worry about.

Nah, don't want to steal your thunder actually. If it makes you feel any better, you're not a bad choice machine. You've done fine so far, you just haven't gotten lucky. Life is hard when you don't fit the mould, but you're gonna be alright. Maybe look for something law-adjacent or like a more general office type job? Besides, there's always money in the taco stand.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Job update: The guy promised a lot of sweet stuff and offered me a position. I typed up what we had discussed in a "this letter confirms..." letter. Dude got super weird and rescinded the offer.

Bullet dodged.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Job update: The guy promised a lot of sweet stuff and offered me a position. I typed up what we had discussed in a "this letter confirms..." letter. Dude got super weird and rescinded the offer.

Bullet dodged.

He's a handshake guy. They're squirrelly.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
what is this thread for if not venting? lay it on us Mr. Nice.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Bullet dodged.
lol, yeah, gently caress that

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Can you paraphrase his response?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Become a patent troll while you look to sort out your employment situation! Silicon Valley made it seem easy enough.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

El_Elegante posted:

Can you paraphrase his response?

"Your email came from left field and blind sided me"

"I have a good memory and I never promised that"

"it's not personal, I really like you but let's just hit pause"

"I could get a much more experienced lawyer for that amount"

Keep in mind that the email was from his mouth to my email. I wonder what he thought he was offering?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Become a patent troll while you look to sort out your employment situation! Silicon Valley made it seem easy enough.

Unfortunately the window for patent trolling is really past now. Ten years ago though...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Firstname,

Thank you very much for applying for the position. I regret to relay that for the past week or so we have been in the process of making an offer to another applicant. I do want to say that you have very impressive credentials, and we wish you continued success. Should something change on our end, I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks,
Sr. Associate

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

I'm reasonably happy, at least professionally, and I don't mind my job. It would be better if I were partner, but the day-to-day work is actually ok and sometimes a bit interesting. I don't like the way the work is all about avoiding mistakes though - like, a good day is a day when you don't make any mistakes, not a day when you've done something really awesome, and no number of no-mistake days will make up for a mistake. A friend of mine from law school (who subsequently went on to clerk for the supreme court and is generally much more high achieving than me) put it as "you never win, you just don't lose". People I know in other industries like tech, or finance, or really anything, seem to have a different attitude, that seems a lot healthier.

Nope.

Yes, definitely. If law school were free and didn't take three years, I think this career compares favorably with a lot of other options. But when you factor in the actual cost and the opportunity cost, it's almost impossible to justify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Question for the Federal peeps. How hosed is Stone?

https://twitter.com/zoetillman/status/1102682611862908928

PS. Did we say pending release? We mean to say the print version is upcoming. It’s already out online.

Edit: I'm sure this is coincidental but the title to the book is "Who Framed Roger Stone?" The answer to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" is the Judge.

Lote fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 5, 2019