Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I always got the sense that the ritual wasn't exactly top secret at all costs, but more something that the Chantry might be willing to turn a blind eye to or just not ask too many questions about. Where the real threat wouldn't be someone randomly spilling the beans (which could easily be covered up with "we recruit criminals and liars", "this person was bitten by a Darkspawn and is already dying from the Blight", etc.), but the truth becoming widespread enough for popular support to force the Chantry into taking action against the Wardens.

e: ugh, beaten. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Given that the Chantry creates Seekers through some weird quasi-abomination stuff, they aren't above using dangerous magic if it furthers their agenda.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, I'm not saying every farmer knows, I'm saying the Chantry hierarchy does, and is willing to turn a blind eye. They have scholars, they would be interested, and all they'd have to do is bribe a warden.

People just tend to be uninterested in the whys and hows of any discipline outside their own. I work at a university with a large endowment, and if you told me the entire development staff drinks baby blood in some arcane ritual to elicit more donations from alumni I'd probably go "oh yeah, that's nice, that's nice" while going back to my normal job of teaching kids how to use Google. It's human nature.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Harrowmont vs Bhelen is why I prefer Obsidian to BioWare. I should get to shank both of them, put their heads on pikes, and put a golem in charge of dwarven society.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Telling carradin to atone for his sins by leading the dwarves to a new prosperity instead of tossing himself in the lava would have been great.

Especially since that would mean shanking bhelen and making harrowmont sad.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
There was a prime opportunity to abolish the monarchy during the Landsmeet but no one thought of it because the monarchists are the good guys in the story.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I think it was more the fact that you were there to try and win their support, so leading your pitch of "hey, can I please borrow your armies to stop the literal apocalypse?" with "what if we took away your all of your privileges and riches?" would've been... counterproductive.

Though with that being said, my Dalish Elf absolutely would've burned the whole place to the ground. :black101:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cole is terrible. His baseline Pinocchio story is fine and inoffensive, but his shtick of unambiguously vocalizing all the subtext is lazy and dumb. The only entertaining part is watching the other characters react to the 4th Wall breaks.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the subtext is often pretty rich and ambiguous. it's still not really clear what he and solas see in sera and why she reacts so violently to their attention for example.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Promethium posted:

There was a prime opportunity to abolish the monarchy during the Landsmeet but no one thought of it because the monarchists are the good guys in the story.

Just in the story?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Zane posted:

the subtext is often pretty rich and ambiguous. it's still not really clear what he and solas see in sera and why she reacts so violently to their attention for example.

It's probably because Cole's "pranks" around Skyhold are done to make people happy, like burning turnips to make it smell like turnip stew, unlike Sera's.

gently caress Sera, she's the worst.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really liked Cole’s character in the book “Asunder.” In fact if anyone is a fan of Cole, they should read that book.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cole's dialogue is so awful in Inquisition and delivered in the most "actor reading lines from a script" way I've ever heard. He sucks because we're meant to take what he's seeing as really deep and interesting, but it all comes out like some magnetic poetry bullshit I wrote in 10th grade.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I assume it’s pretty rare in industry for voice actors to be gathered in a room to record all their lines as a unit. Is it common practice, though, to give later actors the lines performed by actors who recorded earlier? Or are they just speaking into the void and audio directors hope the lines work well against each other?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Grundulum posted:

I assume it’s pretty rare in industry for voice actors to be gathered in a room to record all their lines as a unit. Is it common practice, though, to give later actors the lines performed by actors who recorded earlier? Or are they just speaking into the void and audio directors hope the lines work well against each other?

IIRC that's something that BioWare specifically did in Mass Effect, so voice actors had some context to react to each other.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Bogus Adventure posted:

gently caress Sera’s main writer, she's the worst.

Oh, Lukas Kristjanson wrote for Jahiera in Baldur’s Gate and Aveline in DA too? And all of Leliana’s Song? What a surprise. He’s terrible at writing women, although his handling of Jacob Taylor in ME2 could have gone better.

I genuinely hope they don’t let him write for Maevaris Tilani, who I very much want in DA4 but am afraid the writers will screw her up big time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Generic American posted:

I think it was more the fact that you were there to try and win their support, so leading your pitch of "hey, can I please borrow your armies to stop the literal apocalypse?" with "what if we took away your all of your privileges and riches?" would've been... counterproductive.

Though with that being said, my Dalish Elf absolutely would've burned the whole place to the ground. :black101:

Yeah, the good/bad decisions were pretty obvious in the context, but who would want to turn down a werewolf army no matter the alternative?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Oh, Lukas Kristjanson wrote for Jahiera in Baldur’s Gate and Aveline in DA too? And all of Leliana’s Song? What a surprise. He’s terrible at writing women

Not just women. He wrote Liam Kosta in Andromeda, who is male Sera without her redeeming qualities. I had to look for online explanations of one of his scenes, and frankly it's still a bit of a mystery.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Oh dear me posted:

Not just women. He wrote Liam Kosta in Andromeda, who is male Sera without her redeeming qualities. I had to look for online explanations of one of his scenes, and frankly it's still a bit of a mystery.

crucially in Dragon Age: Inquisition you can have several levels of nuance with Sera -- you can date her, date her but break up with her, be good friends with her, be kind of neutral on her, tolerate her but dislike her, hate her, kick her out of the Inquisition, threaten to *hunt her down* after you kick her out of the Inquisition

in Andromeda you can date Liam, be Liam's best friend, or be Liam's best friend who goes "oh, you!" sometimes

Andromeda is a bad game

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

in Andromeda you can date Liam, be Liam's best friend, or be Liam's best friend who goes "oh, you!" sometimes

Andromeda is a bad game

Absolutely. Especially since you should have been able to sling the little poo poo into the brig as a war criminal right at the start.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

exquisite tea posted:

Cole's dialogue is so awful in Inquisition and delivered in the most "actor reading lines from a script" way I've ever heard. He sucks because we're meant to take what he's seeing as really deep and interesting, but it all comes out like some magnetic poetry bullshit I wrote in 10th grade.

It's weird because his actor is really good, he's genuinely scary in Happy Valley (a good show). You really wouldn't recognise him by his voice though. Completely different.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can’t even remember what Liam did that was bad

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

IIRC he pumps a few rounds into a dead body after the very first firefight

also in his loyalty mission he fuckin GIVES UP THE NEXUS' LOCATION IN DATA to some random angara (who then goes missing) in exchange for ... something? dude makes bad decisions all the time

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Liam is fine??? Comparing him to Sera is weird. He makes mistakes but everyone makes mistakes in that game.

I don't even think telling his contact how to find the Nexus is even a big deal at the end of the day, the Nexus isn't gonna stay hidden forever given how many people know about it.

Cole's interactions with Solas are good.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 5, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Oh, Lukas Kristjanson wrote for Jahiera in Baldur’s Gate and Aveline in DA too? And all of Leliana’s Song? What a surprise. He’s terrible at writing women
hmm, we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

You go to someone else's planet, see a stranger approach your colleague, remind Liam that the rules of first contact prohibit a shoot first policy, and Liam promptly shoots the stranger anyway.

The stranger turns out to belong to a species of cartoon villains, so no one minds, but Liam didn't know that.

E: I said male Sera simply because he has her annoying telegraphic speech style, but come to think of it she starts off your acquaintance with a murder as well.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 5, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I mean, they were very ugly aliens, completely disfigured

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fangz posted:

Liam is fine??? Comparing him to Sera is weird. He makes mistakes but everyone makes mistakes in that game.

I don't even think telling his contact how to find the Nexus is even a big deal at the end of the day, the Nexus isn't gonna stay hidden forever given how many people know about it.

Cole's interactions with Solas are good.

well I mean that's not really his decision to make

and it's not so much that Liam is bad, it's that your options of interacting with him as a character lack nuance. I wouldn't tell him to gently caress off but having the option to do so is important

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I genuinely hope they don’t let him write for Maevaris Tilani, who I very much want in DA4 but am afraid the writers will screw her up big time.
saaaame

I liked Krem and how he was written for the most part, with the exception of the clunky-rear end binder joke (the conversation following it is fine if a bit awkward, imo). I really hope they do a good job with Maevaris, since I def want to see her in the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

saaaame

I liked Krem and how he was written for the most part, with the exception of the clunky-rear end binder joke (the conversation following it is fine if a bit awkward, imo). I really hope they do a good job with Maevaris, since I def want to see her in the game.

I remember an interview with the guy who wrote krem, and he said he wrote a draft of it, then had the bright idea to run it by some actual trans people, who then offered some constructive and enthusiastic notes which resulted in the character we got in the live game. Sounds like otherwise it could have been another hainly “hi i used to be Steve” situation

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I would have enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda a lot more if you were allowed to enforce chain of command and professionalism on your ship whenever one of your underlings spoke out of turn.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Oh, Lukas Kristjanson wrote for Jahiera in Baldur’s Gate and Aveline in DA too? And all of Leliana’s Song? What a surprise. He’s terrible at writing women, although his handling of Jacob Taylor in ME2 could have gone better.

I'm kind of meh on Jaheira, but Aveline loving owns. That being said, Sera is a twee poo poo, and Jacob is the most milquetoast and banal character ever written. He's nice, but he has zero charisma or personality. His VA tries, but he gets nothing to work with.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really assumed he was going to be the game’s Jenkins and die in the prologue

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I actually liked Jacob for being the one sane person on this ship of idiots.

Then Bioware went and made the one romance option who cheats on you in any of their main line games the black dude.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

Jacob is the most milquetoast and banal character ever written. He's nice, but he has zero charisma or personality. His VA tries, but he gets nothing to work with.

He's not nice. Admittedly Femshep herself can't speak to him without sexually harassing him in the most cringeworthy way, but even if he likes that he basically complains if you try to talk to him at all. First it's "I'm not keen on these talks, Shapard", then it's "we've got a good thing, let's not spoil it by attempts at communication".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I actually liked Jacob for being the one sane person on this ship of idiots.

Then Bioware went and made the one romance option who cheats on you in any of their main line games the black dude.

They were on a break!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm kind of meh on Jaheira, but Aveline loving owns. That being said, Sera is a twee poo poo, and Jacob is the most milquetoast and banal character ever written. He's nice, but he has zero charisma or personality. His VA tries, but he gets nothing to work with.

Aveline is one of the best party members in the series.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Oh dear me posted:

He's not nice. Admittedly Femshep herself can't speak to him without sexually harassing him in the most cringeworthy way, but even if he likes that he basically complains if you try to talk to him at all. First it's "I'm not keen on these talks, Shapard", then it's "we've got a good thing, let's not spoil it by attempts at communication".

I've only ever played maleShep, so I never saw that part of the game. Ugh, Bioware romances can be the loving worst. :ughh:

Nichael posted:

Aveline is one of the best party members in the series.

:respek:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I would have liked to jettison most of my crew in Andromeda. If I got the option it'd probably just be me and that Krogan taking on the galaxy on our own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I started off liking Jacob and was confused why everyone else hated him. Then I started collecting party members and forgot he existed. He's just so....normal on a ship full of dysfunction. Normal is bad. ME2 is beloved because it is about recruiting a badass crew of assassins and mad scientists and lab experiments. "Mildly conflicted mild-mannered soldier guy" does not stand out.

My Femshep wanted to romance Miranda and Jack but of course they are male exclusive. Bullshit. I even head a rumor Miranda was supposed to be bisexual but they cut it. ME does same sex relationships way worse than DA does for some reason.