Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't understand the comic at all. Why does an obviously residential building have a commercial sounding "store room" with gigabyte meter on the wall

Is there like a pun or something I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Forget it Jake. It's Computoon.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
man now I really want to know what's behind that door

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's funny in a painful way when you're used to or still remember dealing with parents who use computers just enough to be a pain with them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

finalellipsis posted:

man now I really want to know what's behind that door

300 refugees from Great Britain.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

I too can't imagine what would be in a room with a meter by the door saying "300GB"

I know Los Alamos national lab had a 1 TB storage facility with its own building and full time technicians, but this would have been in the early 90s.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's actually a pretty funny joke riffing on the fact that old people don't understand computer terms.

Murphy is thinking of getting a new computer, probably he's either reading about them online or looking at them in a store. He's old and doesn't necessarily know the synonyms for computer terms he does know. So maybe he knows what a hard drive is, but he doesn't make the connection that a hard drive has a certain amount of storage room. So when he reads the specs on one computer that says "300GB storage room", meaning a 300GB hard drive, he gets confused and thinks of an actual physical room, like this computer needs you to install a 300GB storage room in your house to use it. He has a hard time picturing this because it seems so unusual for a computer. That's what the cartoon is depicting.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whoah hey woah woah hey now don't give me stroke

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ohhhh, I figured it was because 300GB is huge, think how much space it must take up. Your explanation makes more sense.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm so good with computers that everything smells like burning toast

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Karate Bastard posted:

Nobody remembers that skit? Can't remember where it was from but basically it was Stephen King making GBS threads himself through life, making GBS threads himself over finding cups in the cupboard, coffee in the coffee pot, cutlery in the top drawer...

Sounds like it was from the short lived sketch comedy show The Edge, from 1992?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, thank you! I find plenty other what is X doing right this minute but not the Stephen King one. The Armed Family was pretty great too.

https://youtu.be/D9nqOnoOYlw

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's funny in a painful way when you're used to or still remember dealing with parents who use computers just enough to be a pain with them.

My boomer dad does just fine with computers, and my sister's 78-year-old father-in-law is a Photoshop wizard

Unless he's 90 Charles Boyce is ignorant of computers even for someone from his generation, and it's amazing and hilarious that this is his job

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bet he's working tirelessly with not learning a got drat poo poo of it either, lest he's out of a job.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Karate Bastard posted:

I bet he's working tirelessly with not learning a got drat poo poo of it either, lest he's out of a job.

It feels like he's never actually used a computer or even seen one in real life and everything he knows about them he learned from reading a stack of old 90s computer magazines he found in the attic. His strips cover modern stuff like "the app store" every now and then but maybe he overheard someone on the bus talking about it.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Mar 4, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hey, we can't fault Charles Boyce, for he is only the conduit through which our lord and saviour, The Keypad Kid, speaks.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

His strips cover modern stuff like "the app store" every now and then but maybe he overheard someone on the bus talking about it.
And he interprets it to mean a brick-and-mortar store that sells apps. God bless.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Charles Boyce is 70. Most 70-year-old people I know can work computers just fine. :shrug:

Steve Wozniak is 69.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

Steve Wozniak is 69.

Well, let's see how he feels next year

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

Arrhythmia posted:

Well, let's see how he feels next year

Less nice?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Charles Boyce is an absurdist genius, and you heathens don’t deserve him.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Loucks posted:

Charles Boyce is an absurdist genius, and you heathens don’t deserve him.

You’re welcome to my share of the Charles Boyce.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SluggoIsLit/status/1102473335139680257

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

Nobody remembers that skit? Can't remember where it was from but basically it was Stephen King making GBS threads himself through life, making GBS threads himself over finding cups in the cupboard, coffee in the coffee pot, cutlery in the top drawer...

I remember it. It was a bit they did on The Edge.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

This is the best :3

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

What is SHUC

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiny Lowtax posted:

What is SHUC

That's clearly SHUG

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I try not to drink coffee after 5am

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Jesus christ dude.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
is it depressing comic week again already?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rysithusiku posted:

is it depressing comic week again already?

when did the last week end?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

when did the last week end?

Tomorrow

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's clearly SHUG