Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VitalSigns posted:

Wtf he was already calling Obama a Kenyan Muslim who sneaked into the belly of a white lady in Kenyatown Kenya.

fair point and so what on the Harris thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, i don't know whether the donations will matter, but the idea that Trump only became full on racist recently is bullshit by people trying to excuse the cozy relationship some establishment people had with him. The newspaper ad for the central park five was in 1989. The discriminatory renting stuff was in the 70s. That he still felt so at home with Democrats speaks to the rot at the core of the establishment.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, i don't know whether the donations will matter, but the idea that Trump only became full on racist recently is bullshit by people trying to excuse the cozy relationship some establishment people had with him. The newspaper ad for the central park five was in 1989. The discriminatory renting stuff was in the 70s. That he still felt so at home with Democrats speaks to the rot at the core of the establishment.

imo it speaks more to him still desperately wanting the NY uber-rich crowd to accept him and they're all nominally left-wing, he'd have donated to Bernie Sanders and Zombie Eugene Debs if they were in vogue

I guess you could argue that that identification is the reason Dems are Bad so it just moves the assertion over a notch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it was in 2013 and 2014 when she was a non-candidate and Donald hadn't gone full open fash yet

it's somewhere between mildly amusing and nothingburger

2013 and 2014 was well into Trump's "The black president is a lying foreign usurper and i will prove it" phase

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gripweed posted:

2013 and 2014 was well into Trump's "The black president is a lying foreign usurper and i will prove it" phase

yep I forgot that part of his timeline and it's not a pedantic hill I'm willing to die on

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It seems to be a lot of nothing. It was less than $10k and all she has to say if the question comes up is that she wasn't immediately aware of his donation and that she donated the money he gave her campaign to charity. There's unlikely to be a follow-up question on the subject after that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It seems to be a lot of nothing. It was less than $10k and all she has to say if the question comes up is that she wasn't immediately aware of his donation and that she donated the money he gave her campaign to charity. There's unlikely to be a follow-up question on the subject after that.

Possibly, but it also seems like something that her competitors could make into something.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It would be a good way to draw a distinction between her and other candidates who have not accepted money from Donald Trump

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Finally, a Trump scandal with actual consequences.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Majorian posted:

Possibly, but it also seems like something that her competitors could make into something.

Idk, this feels like one where she's got the answer ready to go.

quote:

A spokesman for the Harris campaign told the Bee that Harris donated the $6,000 she received from President Trump to a nonprofit that advocates for the rights of Central Americans.

Also there's like 150 bigger and more damning things to attack Harris on. If anything, it's an attack on Trump in the general ("If I'm so bad, why did you donate to me?")

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"I didn't know he donated and I donated it to charity when I found out" is a fine answer, "I didn't know he was racist" would not be

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well her campaign slogan was "Stronger Together"

The signs were all "I'm With Her."

Or was it "I'm Wither".

Confusing.

(note: quite possibly the worse messaging of any campaign I can remember, and I remember the Daisy Ad airing).

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

I was as dumb as anyone else in 2016, but there were two moments when my gut was like "Dude, she's gonna lose": apologizing for the deplorables comment, and when they actually busted out "America Is Already Great" as a slogan

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Z. Autobahn posted:

Also there's like 150 bigger and more damning things to attack Harris on. If anything, it's an attack on Trump in the general ("If I'm so bad, why did you donate to me?")

Didn't both the Republican primary and the general election involve other candidates trying to clown Trump on that and his response was "neener neener, I'm not an immoral shitbag swamp politician, people like me buy people like you all the time"? It's not true (the moral part anyway), but it's pretty well crafted for his base.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Rappaport posted:

Didn't both the Republican primary and the general election involve other candidates trying to clown Trump on that and his response was "neener neener, I'm not an immoral shitbag swamp politician, people like me buy people like you all the time"? It's not true (the moral part anyway), but it's pretty well crafted for his base.

yeah, it's probably a nothingburger all around

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

Also there's like 150 bigger and more damning things to attack Harris on.

Oh, for sure, but are her fellow centrists going to attack her on those 150 bigger things, given that they largely agree with her on them?

I'm not saying they necessarily will kneecap her on this, much less successfully, but I do think it's a possibility.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

VideoGameVet posted:

The signs were all "I'm With Her."

Or was it "I'm Wither".

Confusing.

(note: quite possibly the worse messaging of any campaign I can remember, and I remember the Daisy Ad airing).

Well despite the Bernie saying not to chant his name and the slogan "not me, us", a large amount of the signs say just "Bernie".

Campaigns have slogans and they have signs, the two are not always the same

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/peterjgowan/status/1102570626232057857?s=21

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Z. Autobahn posted:

https://medium.com/@moon_bat/the-troubling-past-of-kamala-harris-f017207333cb

Always a good time to post this when anyone mentions Harris. She's a complete sociopath.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/JeffMerkley/status/1102768260309647360

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Merkley isn't a centrist. This is bad for Bernie.

Why do they do these small name politicians do this? They can't win.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I think he's up for reelection in 2020; maybe he's announcing his retirement? One can hope.

(I mean, I'm not hoping he retires, because he's awesome, I just don't want him to run for president)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ague Proof posted:

Merkley isn't a centrist. This is bad for Bernie.

Why do they do these small name politicians do this? They can't win.

increase name recognition, sell books, try to force an issue into the discussion, angling for a cabinet position, there's a bunch of reasons

KRock
Aug 13, 2007
College Slice

Majorian posted:

I think he's up for reelection in 2020; maybe he's announcing his retirement? One can hope.

(I mean, I'm not hoping he retires, because he's awesome, I just don't want him to run for president)

That's not typically the way a politician announces he's retiring. He's most definitely running.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Inslee is viable

https://twitter.com/danielstrauss4/status/1102768669703188480?s=21

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i can't remember, is Inslee Good or Bad?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i can't remember, is Inslee Good or Bad?

Bad, but his issue is climate change.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

That is not the bar for viable

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/forecasterenten/status/1102697210746204160?s=21

Worst guy you know meme etc

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Bad, but his issue is climate change.

Why is Inslee bad? Real question, in my mind he's the most attention on climate change of any candidate which seems good

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Eh, I mean, it was that, but also he wasn't as divisive a figure as Hillary Clinton, he was young, he was charismatic, etc etc.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

What's the equivalent of the Iraq war in this analogy?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

What's the equivalent of the Iraq war in this analogy?

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1102697767112183809?s=20

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yes, Harry, I, too, am blind to the surging popularity of things like M4A.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

As was Sanders and Inslee.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The president has come out against Omar and only two presidential candidates have openly supported her. New red line.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Hey dummies

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1102753868704817152

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Maybe she can finally be indicted!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

Yes, Harry, I, too, am blind to the surging popularity of things like M4A.

I think there is a kernel of truth that in 2008 there was *one* issue with surging popularity and importance while now there are many. So its not just M4A or Climate Change or defeating white supremacy or income inequality. Its all of the above.

And likewise no candidate is going to get to skate by like Obama by being the only candidate running who was on the right side of *the* issue in such a clean way.

Of course, this is also like lovely post or freshman essay level analysis.

I wonder how many will have to pay the spine man over this.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

I wonder how many will have to pay the spine man over this.....

The dearth of Hill 2020 toxxes is an immense disappointment after Bastageddon.