Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I've kept that list bookmarked ever since Hieronymous brought it up. I think the author I'm most interested in checking out is James Branch Cabell, since I live near a college campus where the library is named after him. Is he any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I will never get over how weird it seems that Cabell Library is named after Cabell, granted it makes sense given that the man was from Richmond, I used to live right down the street and loved going there

Jurgen has been on my to-read list forever and I think ill pick it up next thanks for the reminder

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Solitair posted:

I've kept that list bookmarked ever since Hieronymous brought it up. I think the author I'm most interested in checking out is James Branch Cabell, since I live near a college campus where the library is named after him. Is he any good?

He's weird. He's not really a fantasy writer in the sense we think of today. BotL would probably like him.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone actually read anything by Ernest Bramah? Going through this guy's description it seems to be a set of horribly Orientalist farces in the best retrotradition of Bridge of Birds, but he rates it at five stars while Hughart got two... Consider my interest piqued.

I read a bit of one of the Kai Lung books. I don't know if I really gave it a fair shake; it was something I was reading in my downtime at work, which probably wasn't the best way to engage with it, but I certainly wouldn't rate it as highly as Bridge of Birds.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Reddit is doing an AMA with the Small Angry Planet author :

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/avtcb5/hi_reddit_im_becky_chambers_author_of_the_long/

The_White_Crane posted:

I read a bit of one of the Kai Lung books. I don't know if I really gave it a fair shake; it was something I was reading in my downtime at work, which probably wasn't the best way to engage with it, but I certainly wouldn't rate it as highly as Bridge of Birds.

Yeah, it's older and has a neat flowery prose style and you can see the influence but it doesn't have the warmth or characterization that makes Bridge of Birds such a perennial charmer.

Basically it's really, really hard for a white Western dude to write that kind of thing without coming off badly and it's a miracle Hughart managed it as well as he did.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Old book but I'm reading pattern recognition right now and I didnt realize you could make a spy novel about supermechagodzilla posts

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

StashAugustine posted:

Old book but I'm reading pattern recognition right now and I didnt realize you could make a spy novel about supermechagodzilla posts

The whole blue ant trilogy is interesting but weird. I think Gibson has gotten stronger as a writer but at the same time, he takes fewer risks in his projections. The Sprawl trilogy is a crazy complete vision of the future, it's wrong, but it's daring. Blue ant is far less of a leap, and in some ways more believable I guess, but I found it kind of sad.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

The whole blue ant trilogy is interesting but weird. I think Gibson has gotten stronger as a writer but at the same time, he takes fewer risks in his projections. The Sprawl trilogy is a crazy complete vision of the future, it's wrong, but it's daring. Blue ant is far less of a leap, and in some ways more believable I guess, but I found it kind of sad.

I viewed it as kind of a tempering of youthful vision. In the 80s the future was going to be a really advanced technological dystopia with corporatemen vs the rest of the world. In the 90s, it was a significant disaffected population with enhanced technology and VR idols dominating the airwaves. In the 2000s, we know the future kind of sucks, not in a way that inspires wonder, but marvelling about "influencers" jockeying for military pants.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And in the 2010s we know that the klept will kill us all.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Nigerians in Space was nothing like I was expecting, but it was pretty good. Has anyone read After the Flare?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Loved the entire Blue Ant series, great aesthetic.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

I also really liked the blue ant books.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
how come none of you fuckers told me a Ruthanna Emrys sequel to Winter Tide came out

it is extremely good; still very personal and intimate, but also delves into some real interesting ethics and sociology questions

i might actually like it more than Tide

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

how come none of you fuckers told me a Ruthanna Emrys sequel to Winter Tide came out

it is extremely good; still very personal and intimate, but also delves into some real interesting ethics and sociology questions

i might actually like it more than Tide.
Litany is still her best IMO. But agreed on Roots being better than Tide.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 2, 2019

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is it worth reading the Stormlight books by Sanderson at the moment? A friend of mine gave me his GraphicAudio versions but even the Graphic abridged versions are still super long, longer than I'm willing to invest blind. I know it's an unfinished series, but are the three books out now a reasonable story arc on their own, or is it just going to be annoying as hell to reach the end and feel cheated?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

nessin posted:

Is it worth reading the Stormlight books by Sanderson at the moment? A friend of mine gave me his GraphicAudio versions but even the Graphic abridged versions are still super long, longer than I'm willing to invest blind. I know it's an unfinished series, but are the three books out now a reasonable story arc on their own, or is it just going to be annoying as hell to reach the end and feel cheated?

The Graphic Audio versions are completely fantastic, and the books don't end on any major cliffhangers in my opinion.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I’ve got up to ringworld on my sf masterworks list, always thought people were probably indulging in a bit of hyperbole with regards to the sexism, but nope, Larry Niven seems to actively hate women. Book definitely goes out of its way to drive home that women are figuratively and often literally a lesser species. Tedious.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Read Ann Leckie's the raven tower, would have enjoyed it 300% more if it wasn't in second person (you really hate that literary device, because you find it ruins immersion) but it was still good, and I'd love to see more in this world - I've read some of her short stories set in it, too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

coolusername posted:

Read Ann Leckie's the raven tower, would have enjoyed it 300% more if it wasn't in second person (you really hate that literary device, because you find it ruins immersion) but it was still good, and I'd love to see more in this world - I've read some of her short stories set in it, too.

I look forward to her next novel, where after bravely experimenting with gender and person, she writes the entire thing in Third Conditional. (It'll probably be a time travel story.)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Leckie chat: Tea drinking ceremonies are probably much easier to describe/write via the second pesrson narrative.

Anyway thinking of doing a book donation drive for the Open Library project. OLP is pretty cool, disabled people get first dibs on stuff, and OLP non-destructively scans donated books to create lendable pdf/epub docs. Have a few cryptography books, some classic scifi-paperbacks, the horrifying oral history of japan at war, and a few other things collected

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Megazver posted:

I look forward to her next novel, where after bravely experimenting with gender and person, she writes the entire thing in Third Conditional. (It'll probably be a time travel story.)

If she had used a different narrative device, the book would have been more enjoyable for me, and she wouldn't have had such mixed reviews if she hadn't used that new technique. She could have had a more generic novel but had she had done that, I would have had a lot of surprising feelings due to my expectations that she would have done something different. I would have appreciated the second person warning before I had bought the book on kindle, but I hadn't looked it up before the payment was done.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
From an obnoxious rules lawyer perspective there isn't even any second person in Raven Tower, it's all in first person. The 'second person' sections are the first person narrator addressing another character.

I liked it, but like the pronouns in Ancillary I suspect it'll dominate the conversation around the book while actually being a fairly minor stylistic choice.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Just finished the Vorkosigan Saga. Jesus, what, 17 books? Not counting the short stories? All since mid January. Fantastic series, loads of variation in the novels' genres.

Cryoburn's ending was rough for me, but favorite book had to be A Civil Campaign. Second place probably goes to the Ivan book. Edit: or Barrayer.

Loutre fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 4, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Loutre posted:

Just finished the Vorkosigan Saga. Jesus, what, 17 books? Not counting the short stories? All since mid January. Fantastic series, loads of variation in the novels' genres.

Cryoburn's ending was rough for me, but favorite book had to be A Civil Campaign. Second place probably goes to the Ivan book. Edit: or Barrayar.

Those three are really hard to choose between. I think Civil wins on pure writing craft since it's made up of lots of cool references to Regency-era novels. Alliance wins because gently caress yeah, Ivan got to do something ! And it was cool ! And Tey is awesome ! And bored Illyan screwing up !

But, Barrayar wins for Cordelia. As a parent doing anything, anything for a child she transcends. She's the greatest character in the series, and on the short list for fiction as a whole.

Welcome to the club, and enjoy your first re-read !

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

mllaneza posted:

Those three are really hard to choose between. I think Civil wins on pure writing craft since it's made up of lots of cool references to Regency-era novels. Alliance wins because gently caress yeah, Ivan got to do something ! And it was cool ! And Tey is awesome ! And bored Illyan screwing up !

But, Barrayar wins for Cordelia. As a parent doing anything, anything for a child she transcends. She's the greatest character in the series, and on the short list for fiction as a whole.

Welcome to the club, and enjoy your first re-read !

I wish there had been a book after Miles' birth showing Cordelia's growth in to this political super-shark. She is for sure a great character, but I think she got mis-used by her becoming some kind of genius political manoeuvrerer with only slight foreshadowing, like her ability to shephard a lot of scientists as a captain.. We saw Ivan's mom go from random hanger-on to Head Of Polite Society much more smoothly.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

coolusername posted:

Yes re: device. You have a link to some of the short stories - I hadn't seen those?

General Battuta posted:

From an obnoxious rules lawyer perspective there isn't even any second person in Raven Tower, it's all in first person. The 'second person' sections are the first person narrator addressing another character.

I liked it, but like the pronouns in Ancillary I suspect it'll dominate the conversation around the book while actually being a fairly minor stylistic choice.

You are technically correct (the best type of correct), but I still found it annoying. The first person narrator is, in those scenes, addressing another character who is not present in the room. That's functionally equivalent to a second person omniscient perspective.

You are correct that it will dominate the conversation around the book because it's the most annoying part of it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Just finished the new Django Wexler thing. Boy he loves his lesbian protags.

It's a fun magic user stuck on a hunger Games sort of oil tanker / aircraft carrier in a medium tech fantasy world.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mllaneza posted:

Absolutely. Barrayar has the "shopping" scene which has to be one of my favourite bits in any fiction whatsoever.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

coolusername posted:

If she had used a different narrative device, the book would have been more enjoyable for me, and she wouldn't have had such mixed reviews if she hadn't used that new technique. She could have had a more generic novel but had she had done that, I would have had a lot of surprising feelings due to my expectations that she would have done something different. I would have appreciated the second person warning before I had bought the book on kindle, but I hadn't looked it up before the payment was done.

why's reading a book in a very slightly different style such a bother for you?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A human heart posted:

It "ruins immersion", which I'd think would be the least of its problems.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm much less bothered by the 2nd-person thing because it's one character talking to another, and understood to be such by the reader. It's the 2nd-person explicitly addressed to the reader that drives me crazy.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Leckie chat: Tea drinking ceremonies are probably much easier to describe/write via the second pesrson narrative.

I generally like her stories, but her writing style(s) are so gimmicky.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

A human heart posted:

You read the book, and it keeps confusing you as to whether the speaker is breaking the fourth wall and talking to you, the reader, as if the speaker was an omniscient narrator, or talking to you, another character in this constructed narrative. You find the continual implied question jarring.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

All these slams/references versus the 2nd person narrative in Leckie's Raven Tower read like Infocom text adventure messages....and make me want to play Infocom text adventure games.
Those games are crack-cocaine mixed with crystal meth.
Although reading a novelization of A Mind Forever Voyaging would be dope, novelization of Starcross kinda interesting, while a novelization of Trinity would be :shepspends:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

All these slams/references versus the 2nd person narrative in Leckie's Raven Tower read like Infocom text adventure messages....and make me want to play Infocom text adventure games.
Although reading a novelization of A Mind Forever Voyaging would be dope, novelization of Starcross kinda interesting, while a novelization of Trinity would be :shepspends:

Hitch-Hiker's Guide has a pretty good novelisation. :v:

Joking aside, I'd read a novelisation of The Lurking Horror or Planetfall for sure.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

There were some books based on the games, both novels and cyoa. The way I remember it, most didn't have much to do with the originals (most notably George Alec Effinger's Zork book) and some were just bad books (like why would you put vagina dentata in a Planetfall/Stationfall novelization)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Solitair posted:

drat, you know, I don't think I ever realized JBC was a sf/f/prescifi author. I just assumed he was a Confederate rear end in a top hat, a Gilded Age son of Confederate assholes, or a modern day descendent of Confederate assholes who gave VCU a lot of money, like everyone else whose name is everywhere here. To be fair, he was more or less the second thing too. I should find something of his to read.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Quorum posted:

drat, you know, I don't think I ever realized JBC was a sf/f/prescifi author. I just assumed he was a Confederate rear end in a top hat, a Gilded Age son of Confederate assholes, or a modern day descendent of Confederate assholes who gave VCU a lot of money, like everyone else whose name is everywhere here. To be fair, he was more or less the second thing too. I should find something of his to read.

His most well-known work is Jurgen and it's the best of the stuff of his that I've read, mostly because it has the most internally consistent structure -- a lot of his other works are a bit disjoint but Jurgen is a single story with a unifying theme. It was a Book of the Month back in 2011:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3452510

The best overall description is probably something like "what if H.L. Mencken wrote a bunch of extremely cynical fairy tales." Cabell's interesting because he's not just pre-Tolkien, he's pre-Dunsany, very literary, very witty, explicitly allegorical but without the dull simplicity of Lewis's Christian allegories. He's this whole other direction fantastic fiction could have gone in, but didn't.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 5, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AMFV is already novel-like enough that I don't see what a novelization would add, other than maybe addressing some aspects of the plot that don't hold up to scrutiny very well.

Starcross is my least favorite Infocom game, writing-wise. It's just so...lifeless. The aliens that look exactly like real-world animals, the sterile big-space-object setting, and the narration style that's terse and humorless to the point of being rude to the player (the response to examining most objects is "the [object] is as described"). Also, while this has nothing to do with novelizations, having to touch a skeleton to find an object on it instead of searching the skeleton is a worse puzzle than the Bank of Zork and the Oddly-Angled Room combined. Maybe the right novelist could come up with something decent based on it, but it would probably be at best a pale imitation of classic big-space-object stories.

Trinity is cool, though. I like how Trinity and Spellbreaker created the "crazy quilt" genre/setting that's still used in a lot of recent IF.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I never did well at the game, but the Wishbringer novelization does have platypi.