Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

AOC: hey guys whos your favorite mario character mines yoshi

*thread descends into a 50 page thunderdome*

Come on, comparing AOC to Trump was sure to set off a firestorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
AOC and Trump both need oxygen to survive!

*thread implodes*

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

VitalSigns posted:

Seeing the racism and sexism a WoC gets for being elected to Congress is insane.

She thinks of the wrong word while typing like a normal human, follows it up with an immediate correction, and here come the comparisons to an incompetent white guy born into wealth who failed up his whole life and doesn't know what a tariff even is

This has nothing to do with her being a woman or a minority. It has to do with her being Extremely Online and not proofing her statement for factual errors. It happens but when you have a giant spotlight on you all the time you need to take the time to read before you :justpost:

And edit just to be clear since we’re now gaslighting anyone who dare question her, it’s not a big deal. But I also wish she’d just take a little more time as a member of Congress to read her <280 character statement before posting.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 5, 2019

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Okay cool well thanks for letting us know that while you don't think Rep. Omar is an anti-semite, you're concerned.

This obnoxious attitude is why that poster is concerned, even though I think she's utterly wrong about this case. How much does someone have to hedge their criticism before it's okay not to jump down their throat about it? The poster says like four times they think the accusations against Omar are overblown.

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Really, the Omar situation serves as a really good example of why we are utterly doomed. Because the Democrats show the slightest shred of decency, they have to be perfect 100% of the time or they get dragged. Meanwhile half the Republicans are openly racist (the other half, of course, are closeted) and no matter what lovely things they do, what lovely people they are, no one cares.

They're not trying to show decency, they're trying to silence one of their representatives because, in their minds, she's insulting Israel and the US-Israel relationship. Plus I think doing this only devalues the term "antisemitism" when it's actually becoming a growing problem in a real way.

God it sucks that so many antisemites have made baseless accusations that sound quite a lot like what's actually going on in this case, but then again I'm sure that's part of the strategy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your Taint posted:

Yes, pointing out that AOC is not completely perfect at all times is racist and the OP should just out on a pointy white hood already.

For the record I don't care that she made a mistake. We all make them. But to say that someone is racist for simply pointing out that she made a mistake is loving ridiculous and get over yourself already.

She was compared to Donald Trump.

It wasn't just "oh she made a mistake we all make them", that's kind of the whole problem

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Yes, pointing out that AOC is not completely perfect at all times is racist and the OP should just out on a pointy white hood already.

For the record I don't care that she made a mistake. We all make them. But to say that someone is racist for simply pointing out that she made a mistake is loving ridiculous and get over yourself already.

Saying she made a mistake is one thing, even if it's a mistake that no thinking person gives a poo poo about and completely unnecessary, given that she already acknowledged her mistake and corrected it.

It's when you start comparing her to Trump, such as Ogmius is doing, that everyone should have a problem, because it's the mother of false equivalencies.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

lmbo

"Oh well when I make a human error everyone should just understand, but when she does it..."

Yes, if I were a politician representing constituents, I would put more thought into my posting in that capacity. I have no idea why this is a controversial idea to you.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

nancy pelosi, watching a call counter go from 499 to 500 before walking out and declaring 'actually, israel bad, sorry about that'

Yeah, continue to not participate in the process and see how that works out for you.

Guess what rear end in a top hat, your participation in a Republic doesnt just end with pulling a level one day out of the year. We are in this mess because people have sat on their asses and allowed themselves to be placated by the bread and circuses fed to us by the rich. Get up and do something instead of sniping people who are actually putting in the work.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 5, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ugato posted:

This has nothing to do with her being a woman or a minority. It has to do with her being Extremely Online and not proofing her statement for factual errors. It happens but when you have a giant spotlight on you all the time you need to take the time to read before you :justpost:

And edit just to be clear since we’re now gaslighting anyone who dare question her, it’s not a big deal. But I also wish she’d just take a little more time as a member of Congress to read her <280 character statement before posting.

Are you asserting that not one of the other 534 members of congress have ever made a typo on twitter dot com

Because that's the only way this insane focus on every typo by a Latina rep makes any sense

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

one of these guys is going to slip and say the n word

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1102658732645892097

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yes, if I were a politician representing constituents, I would put more thought into my posting in that capacity. I have no idea why this is a controversial idea to you.

Other reps gently caress up on Twitter all the time though and don't get this reaction

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

VitalSigns posted:

Are you asserting that not one of the other 534 members of congress have ever made a typo on twitter dot com

Because that's the only way this insane focus on every typo by a Latina rep makes any sense

You mean ones that we mock as well? Yeah I’m pretty sure I’ve seen plenty of tweets posted by members of Congress that get resounding mocked. Also the president.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ugato posted:

You mean ones that we mock as well? Yeah I’m pretty sure I’ve seen plenty of tweets posted by members of Congress that get resounding mocked. Also the president.

And how many of them acknowledge their errors and correct them in subsequent tweets? Go ahead, I'll wait.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

Yeah, continue to not participate in the process and see how that works out for you.

Guess what rear end in a top hat, your participation in a Republic doesnt just end with pulling a level one day out of the year. We are in this mess because people have sat on their asses and allowed themselves to be placated by the bread and circuses fed to us by the rich. Get up and do something instead of sniping people who are actually putting in the work.
i was literally just making a joke to express my frustration with how powerless i feel and was not sniping at you in any way, and i feel like we're way more in this mess because of the rich than 'people allowing themselves to be placated'

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Other reps gently caress up on Twitter all the time though and don't get this reaction

What the hell are you talking about?

https://twitter.com/chuckgrassley/status/529356795924725760?lang=en

:v:

eke out posted:

Your colleague is filth, hmm? Wall to wall class from the party of "family values."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Enkmar posted:

Pretty sure Viola is American so I guess we're going with concern trolling.

I mean seriously you have to do some high effort mental gymnastics to erase the very clear context of who Omar is talking about when she says dual loyalty

Holy poo poo, SHE NEVER USE THE TERM DUAL LOYALTY

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Cool artistry but how did Venus get involved?

Final Countdown reference?...

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

i was literally just making a joke to express my frustration with how powerless i feel and was not sniping at you in any way

Sorry about that chief, dealing with the Nothing Matters Crew in USPOL leaves me a little short of patience and I don't always recognize it. I am incredibly frustrated with the Democratic Party right now, especially state level in Virginia, so my feelings are a bit raw.

Edit: The Democratic Party is roasting Lee Carter because he broke with them to support Justin Fairfax's assault victims because it is the loving right thing to do. loving A, the entire Party Leadership in VA needs to be replaced wholesale because gently caress rape apologists.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 5, 2019

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And how many of them acknowledge their errors and correct them in subsequent tweets? Go ahead, I'll wait.

I mean are we claiming now that no member of Congress has ever corrected a tweet? The race for hot takes is getting really stupid here.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Could you stop saying "typo?" This is not a typo. Typo means "typographical error." Unless she is having a stroke and legitimately thought she was typing Iraq when she meant Afghanistan. it's not a typo.

VitalSigns posted:

I don't follow other reps because I don't care about them. I think AOC is amazing and am simply saying I wish she wouldn't make easily preventable errors.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

Sorry about that chief, dealing with the Nothing Matters Crew in USPOL leaves me a little short of patience and I don't always recognize it. I am incredibly frustrated with the Democratic Party right now, especially state level in Virginia, so my feelings are a bit raw.
hey i am from virginia too, that is also why i feel powerless right now, hence Posts

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ugato posted:

I mean are we claiming now that no member of Congress has ever corrected a tweet? The race for hot takes is getting really stupid here.

Republicans usually do not, but then again their mistakes are either intentional or based on the fact that they're all dumb as rocks. The key, of course, is that when they are shown to be wrong, none of them--ever--admit their mistakes and correct themselves.

quote:

I don't follow other reps because I don't care about them. I think AOC is amazing and am simply saying I wish she wouldn't make easily preventable errors.

It's one of the unfortunate consequences of maintaining your own Twitter account and being an authentic person rather than a poll-tested politician stereotype. People make mistakes. Smart people own up to them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Waiting to see if we vote on this "Should we passive-aggressively accuse Illhan Omar of being an anti-semite" thing Wednesday before I bring myself to care about defending AOC for being wrong about something on the internet

theflyingorc posted:

Holy poo poo, SHE NEVER USE THE TERM DUAL LOYALTY
I assumed that poster was agreeing with me but who knows lol

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ugato posted:

most congress twitters either delete the tweet and retweet is with it corrected, AOC is the only one that leaves it up and sends another tweet to correct it

but let's loving put her on some weird pedestal and then act morally superior about it as we purity test ourselves into yet another terrible situation

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

You have cleverly skewered him by noticing that this thread cares about AOC a whole lot

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Anyone arguing about AOC is a transient anus.

Also, here's a jellyfish with something called a transient anus.

https://twitter.com/newscientist/status/1102900692610625542?s=19

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
AOC owns up to her mistakes. Trump troubles down. Has that human shitstain EVER said "I was incorrect" in his entire life?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

hey i am from virginia too, that is also why i feel powerless right now, hence Posts

Fellow VA Goon! You still live in the area?

Yeah, I got angry at one of my friends the other day because they suggested I move out of the state and I just loving hate that rhetoric because VA may be a dumpster fire, but it is my dumpster fire and I am trying my hardest to put it out. We made so much progress in 2017 and this year is just a loving gut punch. poo poo is dire, but gotta trudge through to get to the other side.

Right now I am working with Solaris to pull a coup in the Zoning and Planning Commission Board in Montgomery County to see if we can get some legacy redlining laws killed, working with the Lee Carter Campaign, and doing DSA stuff. Shits exhausting...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Deified Data posted:

I assumed that poster was agreeing with me but who knows lol

I'm pretty sure you were wrong, as well.

Again, Omar said that she was being asked to pledge loyalty to another country. Which she is. Her words do not fall under any antisemitic trope. She's being misquoted.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ugato posted:

Lol Republican congresspeople routinely tweet white nationalist propaganda and break the law on Twitter, decorum is a lie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Asema posted:

most congress twitters either delete the tweet and retweet is with it corrected, AOC is the only one that leaves it up and sends another tweet to correct it

but let's loving put her on some weird pedestal and then act morally superior about it as we purity test ourselves into yet another terrible situation

It's not even a purity test, it's a :decorum: test. The whole point is to hammer her for not putting everything through a PR team like proper politicians are supposed to, just for starters.

Lightning Knight posted:

Lol Republican congresspeople routinely tweet white nationalist propaganda and break the law on Twitter, decorum is a lie.

Also this, yes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thalantos posted:

AOC owns up to her mistakes. Trump troubles down. Has that human shitstain EVER said "I was incorrect" in his entire life?

Probably to his family.

Like for example if he said to Don Jr " I expect great things from you" then later he would slap him and say "I was incorrect"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Thalantos posted:

Once. Right after the Access Hollywood tape came out and he went on CNN and apologized like he was being held hostage at gunpoint.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a typo doesn't generally refer to just misspellings. so saying "iraq war" when you meant "afghanistan war" would still be a typo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Xombie posted:

How in the hell did every major newspaper's editorial board get so right-wing?

They're here to defend wealth, op

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

eke out posted:

Well I mean it’s not racist and or anything it’s not like they criticized Israel

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

Once. Right after the Access Hollywood tape came out and he went on CNN and apologized like he was being held hostage at gunpoint.

Pfff getting caught on tape and then grudgingly "apologizing" doesn't count.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

a typo doesn't generally refer to just misspellings. so saying "iraq war" when you meant "afghanistan war" would still be a typo.

That's not a typographical error, i am here for this fight

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Could you stop saying "typo?" This is not a typo. Typo means "typographical error." Unless she is having a stroke and legitimately thought she was typing Iraq when she meant Afghanistan. it's not a typo.

People think of the wrong word while typing all the time, are you really bitching that I'm using the wrong nomenclature for a flub.

Maybe you should follow them and see what errors other humans make on a website not built for proofreading and editing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nah, that’s a slip. People who insist the word typo covers that case are probably just embarrassed.