Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

So if Garon's plan was to get Chome near the queen with the evil sword, what was his plan if Chome's maid didn't end up being a dragon and Chome and the sword were just lost in the bottomless pit instead?

Maybe he hoped the fear of death would trigger the dragon powers? That sounds like a reasonable enough anime trope.

My biggest beef with all this is why Chome still decided to keep Soul Edge when it clearly pulled him into the DARK ABYSS or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It doesn't hurt that Robin (especially the female version) actually had a pretty fun character and good supports and isn't a loving moron.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of nonsensical plot beats, why does everyone want to bang Chome? He has more personality and wits as a mindless deer dragon.

Have you never seen a harem anime where the male lead completely loving sucks, but every woman is head over heels for him because you're supposed to imagine yourself as him

Because I really envy you if you haven't

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of nonsensical plot beats, why does everyone want to bang Chome? He has more personality and wits as a mindless deer dragon.

He's a main-character self-insert. A lot of people absolutely love that. See FE Heroes and how often the characters praise you (to the point of obnoxiousness, even). Heck, even before Awakening was ever announced, you could go to the Fire Emblem section of FF.net and find lots and lots of self-insert fic with FE7's tactician, even when the game itself barely remembers they exist 90% of the time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TriffTshngo posted:

Because being able to self-insert is apparently a big selling point for a lot of people, and what's the use of imagining yourself as the main character if they aren't the most important person on the planet who everybody wants to be best friends and/or lovers with.

Honestly, you could argue that Robin from Awakening, that game's equivalent to Corrin Chome, is more of a blank slate, but they also aren't the singularity around which every event in the game revolves, they're basically the best friend tagalong of the actual main character for like 75% of the game. Chome doesn't have that luxury, is constantly in the spotlight, and is also a bad character, so all their terrible writing and idiotic choices get exposed way harder than if they were just there to be a viewpoint character for the player as they pal around with the blue haired prince and his ragtag band of one-dimensional anime doofuses.

I'd actually argue Robin isn't more of a blank slate because of exactly what you mention. Since he enters the game and works constantly as a foil to Chrom you get a really distinct view of who he is by the end of the game.

Compared to Chome, who never develops and is just told he's amazing all the time.

Although if you do want to self-insert it's easier to self-insert with a character who acts like a human being and is not constantly stupid.

Gaearin
May 15, 2013

Angel to you, Devil to me

Natural 20 posted:

Although if you do want to self-insert it's easier to self-insert with a character who acts like a human being and is not constantly stupid.

This is why I have never understood the whole "it's because they're a self-insert!" defense of characters like Chome. If I was trying to go on a power fantasy, why the hell would I choose to project myself onto a dumbass?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Gaearin posted:

This is why I have never understood the whole "it's because they're a self-insert!" defense of characters like Chome. If I was trying to go on a power fantasy, why the hell would I choose to project myself onto a dumbass?

Exactly this Chome is so loving dumb that by the end of the game I've come to totally hate them. Why would I want to self insert as this dumbass?

Self-inserts are dumb in general but at least Robin(especially female Robin) had a personality besides is special and everyone loves them.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I don't think it's ever really offered as a defense, so much as an explanation. There's a type of nerd who eats this kind of poo poo up, and frankly we should just be happy that they can read.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I like dumb characters but it's a certain kind of dumb that I crave

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

inthesto posted:

I don't think it's ever really offered as a defense, so much as an explanation. There's a type of nerd who eats this kind of poo poo up, and frankly we should just be happy that they can read.

Why should we be happy they can read? If they couldn't no one would try to sell games like this to them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Siselmo posted:

He's a main-character self-insert. A lot of people absolutely love that. See FE Heroes and how often the characters praise you (to the point of obnoxiousness, even). Heck, even before Awakening was ever announced, you could go to the Fire Emblem section of FF.net and find lots and lots of self-insert fic with FE7's tactician, even when the game itself barely remembers they exist 90% of the time.

Yeah, that's a pretty weak complaint to go at this with. The game absolutely deserves being poo poo on; don't get me wrong, but a series having wish fulfillment fanfiction isn't new or exclusive at all to this.

Gaearin posted:

I don't even know if I agree with the self insert thing too much with Robin, because aside from their name and appearance you don't really influence any of their decisions. It feels like the character is me about as much as I feel like I'm the Boss in Saints Row. They've already got their own personality and everything. But that's just me, I don't know what anyone else thinks.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: video :frogsiren:
Ep 06 - The Path Is Yours

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

has anyone said "Chome Gang" yet

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I chose birthright
"Yes I did it right!"

although I was disappointed that you decided not to choose maximum stupid when you got tempted by that.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

But yeah, as Vicas pondered: They are entirely different games.
I'm not sure about Birthright, but plot and maps are pretty different.
I think revelations reused a couple of the conquest (and likely Birthright) maps in the early acts, but with different objectives and enemies.
(But I bet once I see the Birthright levels, it'll turn out that all the unfamiliar levels were from it.)

And wow, that first mission of birthright sure played itself, huh.
It seems super easy compared to revelations' and conquest's versions.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

yeah, there's a handful of maps that get re used, mostly in revelations, but the unit configurations for you and the enemy tend to keep them from feeling too samey. The bulk of the two main routes are completely different maps.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Since you guys were wondering about future FR games having full voice acting in the video: The 3DS FE game that came out after Fates, Echoes, has full voice acting so I’d say it’s a pretty safe bet the Switch game will as well.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SubNat posted:

And wow, that first mission of birthright sure played itself, huh.
It seems super easy compared to revelations' and conquest's versions.

I argue that Birthright is the easiest game in the series. While Fire Emblem has a reputation for being difficult, being easier than Sacred Stones says a lot.

You could probably set Birthright to auto-battle and clear it without a problem.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

inthesto posted:

I argue that Birthright is the easiest game in the series. While Fire Emblem has a reputation for being difficult, being easier than Sacred Stones says a lot.

You could probably set Birthright to auto-battle and clear it without a problem.

People pulled it off on awakening, so I wouldn't be surprised if they could do it in birthright.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The maid is my favorite character so far.

e: Hans is a close second.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

we forgot to get Azura a vocoder plugin pack for her birthday yesterday

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 5, 2019

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So, like, Takumi has just about-faced the whole way from "Chome will never be one of us" to "I will murder for my brother" in the space of a single mission's prologue and with absolutely no commentary.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The main reason why nobody liked revelation is because it has a ton of really lovely maps with dumb gimmicks, and somehow manages to make the bad writing even worse.

Gaearin
May 15, 2013

Angel to you, Devil to me

Fedule posted:

So, like, Takumi has just about-faced the whole way from "Chome will never be one of us" to "I will murder for my brother" in the space of a single mission's prologue and with absolutely no commentary.

I think it's less that he's fighting for Chome and more that he really wants to kill the Nohrians.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

The Skeleton King posted:

The main reason why nobody liked revelation is because it has a ton of really lovely maps with dumb gimmicks, and somehow manages to make the bad writing even worse.

The balance of the game is also astonishingly lazy.

The whole thing reeks of "first draft romhack"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Takumi erased a Nohrian soldier from existence, and prevented his brother & friends from getting exp.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Revelations would be the primo choice for getting all the stupid events to riff off of, if you're gonna pick one.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mega64 posted:

Chome somehow has more personality than all three main characters from Kuvo's last LP combined.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

florida lan posted:

Chome somehow has more personality than all four main characters from Kuvo's last LP combined.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
shiny and chome

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I ran into these the other day at a small suburban mall branch of Animate, which shows that for some unfathomable reason enough people still care about this game for them to stock merchandise.

Not a *lot* of merchandise -- the rest of the video game characters shelf was mostly Persona -- but still.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
as :negative: as it may be to think about, fates sold like 500k copies in japan (making it like, the second-best selling entry in the series there, period) and intsys evidently thinks that enough people love fates enough all these years later that they keep giving us fates alts banners in the mobile game

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is that Takumi? Why try to sell Takumi merch? He's the worst in all respects, even if you like those template personalities they all have!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is that Takumi? Why try to sell Takumi merch? He's the worst in all respects, even if you like those template personalities they all have!

believe it or not he clocked in at 24th place among all characters in the entire franchise in this year's popularity poll

so if you're trying to milk cash out of fans, there might actually be a market for it!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't get it. I guess it's still too early to say for certain that he won't get much better, but considering what people are saying about the story in general I doubt that happens so why would anyone like this guy?

e: Amelia isn't number 1? Hector isn't in the top 10? I'm just not in the Fire Emblem fan mindset.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 5, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't get it. I guess it's still too early to say for certain that he won't get much better, but considering what people are saying about the story in general I doubt that happens so why would anyone like this guy?

e: Amelia isn't number 1? Hector isn't in the top 10? I'm just not in the Fire Emblem fan mindset.

It's a poll for picking who gets special Fire Emblem Heroes outfits so I don't think it maps 1:1 for popularity.

orenronen posted:

I ran into these the other day at a small suburban mall branch of Animate, which shows that for some unfathomable reason enough people still care about this game for them to stock merchandise.

Not a *lot* of merchandise -- the rest of the video game characters shelf was mostly Persona -- but still.

Seeing this, I wonder if Female Robin was more popular than Male Robin.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This poll (Choose Your Legends) deliberately excluded the 1st and 2nd place winners for men and women from the 2017 and 2018 polls, and since Hector came 1st in the Men's division last year, he wasn't part of it now.

Speaking of which; Ike (Path of Radiance), Lyn (Blazing Sword), Roy (Binding Blade) and Lucina (Awakening) were the 2017 winners, and Hector (Blazing Sword), Celica (Gaiden/Echoes), Ephraim (Sacred Stones) and Veronica (Heroes) were the 2018 winners.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, so Takumi's actually the 32nd favorite, so not as bad (though still is kinda).

Amelia being in the 100's is a crime though

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

It's a poll for picking who gets special Fire Emblem Heroes outfits so I don't think it maps 1:1 for popularity.

Seeing this, I wonder if Female Robin was more popular than Male Robin.

Looking at the popularity list: Significantly.
Female Robin #6, Male Robin #11.
Female Chome is on #10, Male Chome is uh... #70.
Though Elise (Aka the girl to the right.) is thoroughly misplaced, at #97.Compared to #10 and #24.)
(She's the least favorite of the sibling characters, though if this poll is mostly EUR/USA, then it might be because young girl characters just aren't as popular here?)

But yeah, I'm not at all surprised that the Robins beat out the Chomes, honestly.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh, so Takumi's actually the 32nd favorite, so not as bad (though still is kinda).

Amelia being in the 100's is a crime though

? Takumi:Fates is #24, #32 is 'Black Knight' From Path of Radiance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

Looking at the popularity list: Significantly.
Female Robin #6, Male Robin #11.
Female Chome is on #10, Male Chome is uh... #70.
Though Elise (Aka the girl to the right.) is thoroughly misplaced, at #97.Compared to #10 and #24.)
(She's the least favorite of the sibling characters, though if this poll is mostly EUR/USA, then it might be because young girl characters just aren't as popular here?)

But yeah, I'm not at all surprised that the Robins beat out the Chomes, honestly.

? Takumi:Fates is #24, #32 is 'Black Knight' From Path of Radiance.

They removed the 8 most popular characters from the list, so bump everyone down 8 spaces. Unless I'm misunderstanding.