Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Memento posted:

Incredibly cursed timeline

We're also getting a Hanna-Barbera Shared Cinematic Universe kicking off with Scooby in 2020 but that'll be animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We're also getting a Hanna-Barbera Shared Cinematic Universe kicking off with Scooby in 2020 but that'll be animated.

This is WAY more cursed than a Hasbro CU, yikes. Is it for real?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Anza Borrego posted:

This is WAY more cursed than a Hasbro CU, yikes. Is it for real?

The 2020 film is about the Mystery Inc gang teaming up with a whole bunch of HB characters to save the world from Dick Darstardly's evil scheme. They haven't announced any additional characters yet apart from Captain Caveman who will be voiced by Tracy Morgan.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

As long as they're doing live action remakes of cartoons, where's my gritty reboot of Sealab 2020?

And not 2021, that was a parody.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The 2020 film is about the Mystery Inc gang teaming up with a whole bunch of HB characters to save the world from Dick Darstardly's evil scheme. They haven't announced any additional characters yet apart from Captain Caveman who will be voiced by Tracy Morgan.

It's not even the fifth silliest thing the Scooby Gang have done.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not even the fifth silliest thing the Scooby Gang have done.

They've been reinventing/rebooting Scooby Doo since the 1970s, it's always been bizarre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWs1Y874sKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS-ieZQD_rA

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

They've been reinventing/rebooting Scooby Doo since the 1970s, it's always been bizarre

Its not that they have been reinventing him or rebooting him, its that hes a stoned dog and gets into crazy shenanigans.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scooby-Doo the Stoned Dog and His Crazy Shenanigans will return after these messages.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This year is the 50th anniversary of Scooby-Doo. That dog is very old.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

It's clear to everyone they're just phoning these things in.

It really isn't. Did you watch any of them?

Like, I get if they aren't your thing, but they are extremely high effort productions

I don't get the reactions itt. More movies is good. Don't watch the ones that don't interest you.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Here's a deleted scene about their godawful 1990 Captain America film to give you a taste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ktQvCmZYo

Captain America was shot in the Communist Yugoslavia (looks like Dubrovnik)?
I gotta see that crap.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RatHat posted:

This year is the 50th anniversary of Scooby-Doo. That dog is very old.

I hate to break it to you like this, but the original Scooby-Doo died in 1975

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the Lego movie was a success too so now we're getting a Playmobil movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nerdz posted:

the Lego movie was a success too so now we're getting a Playmobil movie

There's been a ton of films based on toys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_toys

Hasbro have created an entire subsidiary film company to develop their licenced IPs into film projects with varying levels of success so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Hasbro_properties
Their list of upcoming/announced films include Monopoly, Magic The Gathering and Play-Doh.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

One of the best movies ever was based on a board game

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
I think that's an overly generous assessment of Battleship.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Besides, Chess was a musical before they made it a movie.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Telegnostic posted:

I think that's an overly generous assessment of Ouija: Origin of Evil.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Clue did kick rear end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's been a ton of films based on toys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_toys

Hasbro have created an entire subsidiary film company to develop their licenced IPs into film projects with varying levels of success so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Hasbro_properties
Their list of upcoming/announced films include Monopoly, Magic The Gathering and Play-Doh.

The Play-Doh movie better be done in claymation or I'm gonna rage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

drat not many people know about Ouija.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Lobok posted:

The Play-Doh movie better be done in claymation or I'm gonna rage.

That would be Plasticine. They're saving that for the sequel.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nettle Soup posted:

That would be Plasticine. They're saving that for the sequel.

Play-Doh and the Time Machine: Return to the Plasticine Era

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Play-Doh and the Time Machine: Return to the Plasticine Era

That's a great band name and album title.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Bloop posted:

It really isn't. Did you watch any of them?

Like, I get if they aren't your thing, but they are extremely high effort productions

I don't get the reactions itt. More movies is good. Don't watch the ones that don't interest you.

Because it's unoriginal, rehashed trash for idiots. There are always going to be dumb movies but when the industry as a whole decides that creativity is dead and focus exclusively on plucking the nostalgia strings we miss out on a lot of good ideas. Sorry you're so easily dooped into proselytising for hacks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They can make a great movie out of any old IP as long as the '21 Jump Street/Lego Movie/Spider-Verse' guys do it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JoelJoel posted:

Because it's unoriginal, rehashed trash for idiots. There are always going to be dumb movies but when the industry as a whole decides that creativity is dead and focus exclusively on plucking the nostalgia strings we miss out on a lot of good ideas. Sorry you're so easily dooped into proselytising for hacks.

this is literally what Hollywood has been doing for its entire existence

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Magic: The Gathering film isn't really one to make fun of, because all you're gonna get out of that is a big high-fantasy drawing on a shitload of lore. Presuming they don't drink bleach and taint it with an "oops, I fell into the game" premise, anyway.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

JoelJoel posted:

There are 139 movies currently scheduled for theatrical release in 2019 (including those already released in Jan/Feb). Of those, nine (9) are remakes, and I'm including as many films as I can justify in that number (for example, I don't know what the animated Addams Family movie will be about, but I'm counting it as a remake). 21 are sequels or part of a shared cinematic universe. Of the rest, 14, as far as I can tell, are based on existing properties.

So 44 out of 139 movies being released this year, or ~31.7%, are either remakes, sequels, or adaptations.95, or ~68.3%, are none of those.

Clearly "the industry as a whole has decided that creativity is dead and focused exclusively on plucking the nostalgia strings".

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

this is literally what Hollywood has been doing for its entire existence

And now it's exclusively what they do. Even the films that earn prestige awards are unoriginal, rehashed trash. Actually good films are so few and far between now that they're basically flukes.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lots of good points about movies being good and people hating them being whiny shitheads, but I don’t see any funny photographs or photomanipulations

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A Magic: The Gathering film isn't really one to make fun of, because all you're gonna get out of that is a big high-fantasy drawing on a shitload of lore. Presuming they don't drink bleach and taint it with an "oops, I fell into the game" premise, anyway.

I'd say there's a pretty high chance that's exactly what they're going to do. The most recent high fantasy live action film was Warcraft which absolutely bombed domestically (but mysteriously performed super well internationally) so they'll be desperate to avoid all the 'mistakes' that were made in that, but on the other hand the Middle Earth films made almost $6 billion worldwide and the Harry Potter films have made over $9 billion so far so any production company that holds the rights to any fantasy-based IP knows that there's billions to be made if they can just strike the right balance. They're probably thinking that Warcraft and Magic The Gathering are too "niche" for general audiences so I can easily see them dumbing down M:TG by copying Jumanji 2's formula and sending Earth kids into the setting. (Note that the Middle Earth films were about a boring normal guy who lives in a sleepy village getting drawn into a huge fantasy plot he doesn't understand, and the Harry Potter movies were also about a kid living a normal life who suddenly gets thrust into a huge fantasy plot he doesn't understand.)

The Chronicles of Narnia films started really strongly with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe back in 2005 but the two sequels didn't perform anywhere near as well so that series pretty much hit a brick wall but they're still planning on bringing them back again. (These films are also about normal Earth kids who gets swept up in a huge fantasy plot yadda yadda yadda ...)

There's a big budget Dungeons and Dragons film coming soon as well, I'd lay bets that they also have players transported to the D&D world. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's a big budget Dungeons and Dragons film coming soon as well, I'd lay bets that they also have players transported to the D&D world. :v:

To be fair though, with a shred of self-awareness you could probably make a good movie out of it being some group's play session, just periodically cutting between the High Fantasy epic of the story heroes and the actual players trying to fudge one of them not dying because they hosed their saving throws so badly they should've fallen over dead immediately.

I'd say there's a pretty high chance that's exactly what they're going to do.

I'd only put it at 50-50 odds, at best. Wizards of the Coast are actually pretty good at managing the MtG brand, and they're quite probably smart enough to not let the writers resort to that damnable cliche if they have any influence on the production at all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd only put it at 50-50 odds, at best. Wizards of the Coast are actually pretty good at managing the MtG brand, and they're quite probably smart enough to not let the writers resort to that damnable cliche if they have any influence on the production at all.

They also have oodles of pretty interesting IP to make movies out of. It'll probably be Jace though, instead of Urza or the Weatherlight or something

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair though, with a shred of self-awareness you could probably make a good movie out of it being some group's play session, just periodically cutting between the High Fantasy epic of the story heroes and the actual players trying to fudge one of them not dying because they hosed their saving throws so badly they should've fallen over dead immediately.

Considering how popular YT D&D groups are that could feasibly work.
If not they could go the lazy route and just copy from the billion+1 adventure books.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

The Bloop posted:

They also have oodles of pretty interesting IP to make movies out of. It'll probably be Jace though, instead of Urza or the Weatherlight or something

Trap sprung and all, but man I'd watch an Urza movie so hard. Big climactic battle in the forest at the end, Mishra gets blasted, and you have an inbuilt sequel hook in the Phyrexian stuff. That would be great in the right hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

I would hesitantly say that the Brothers War would make a pretty good film.